As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Thanks For The Deal, I Hate It

• AimAim Registered User regular
    Yeah, Whistler is crawling with them, at least.

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Dear Great Britain,

I write to you on the inauguration of a new thread in my customary fashion to make, once again, a plea for mercy. Please do not fuck up your country. I am likely to require a second, English-speaking backup once my own country, your jackass wayward son America, finally breaks a rib trying to suck its own dick. I just can’t go to Australia. There are too many bare-chested surfer men with chiseled abs. It has to be England, for my self-esteem.

Ok, thanks again, please import French cuisine as quick as you can before the borders close, Love,

Hakks

You know, Canada is right here. We've got English speakers, French cuisine, French-Canadian cuisine, and a noticeable lack of Australians.

too cold, at least britain is usually dourly mild, in keeping with appropriate standards of etiquette

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Dear Great Britain,

I write to you on the inauguration of a new thread in my customary fashion to make, once again, a plea for mercy. Please do not fuck up your country. I am likely to require a second, English-speaking backup once my own country, your jackass wayward son America, finally breaks a rib trying to suck its own dick. I just can’t go to Australia. There are too many bare-chested surfer men with chiseled abs. It has to be England, for my self-esteem.

Ok, thanks again, please import French cuisine as quick as you can before the borders close, Love,

Hakks

You know, Canada is right here. We've got English speakers, French cuisine, French-Canadian cuisine, and a noticeable lack of Australians.

too cold, at least britain is usually dourly mild, in keeping with appropriate standards of etiquette

Vancouver is pretty mild and rainy. Would fit right in.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Dear Great Britain,

Hakks

Does an endless existence of 15c and overcast skies appeal to you? Well then m'dear step this way do i have the country for you!*

*we promise at least 3 hours of sunshine a week**
    ** except during winter***
    ***which is 8 months of the year

Casual on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Dear Great Britain,

Hakks

hakkes london is the 6th biggest french city in the world do not fret you can find your french food cooked by a real live frog

obF2Wuw.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Ratatouille 2?

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Rata2ille?

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Dear Great Britain,

Hakks

hakkes london is the 6th biggest french city in the world do not fret you can find your french food cooked by a real live frog

That’s only if you don’t throw them all out in Brexit 2 brexit harder

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Rata2ille?

Rata-two-three

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Dear Great Britain,

Hakks

Toronto is really not all that different from, like, New York or the like weather wise. Might even be less snow.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Dear Great Britain,

Hakks

Toronto is really not all that different from, like, New York or the like weather wise. Might even be less snow.

Get far enough north and you get less snow because it is too cold for the air to hold onto the moisture required.

Of course, at that level of cold the snow never leaves.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Dear Great Britain,

Hakks

Toronto weather's more variable, due to various lake effects. It doesn't snow in April in New York, AFAIK, whereas it snows regularly here in April.

Dear Great Britain,

Hakks

Get far enough north and you get less snow because it is too cold for the air to hold onto the moisture required.

Of course, at that level of cold the snow never leaves.

Yeah, but that's not Toronto. We are on the right side of the one lake and far enough from the other to avoid too much snowfall. We just laugh at the poor bastards across the way in Buffalo.

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Dear Great Britain,

Hakks

Does an endless existence of 15c and overcast skies appeal to you? Well then m'dear step this way do i have the country for you!*

*we promise at least 3 hours of sunshine a week**
    ** except during winter***
    ***which is 8 months of the year

You could try Ireland.
    Similar weather, but will still be in the EU. Our surfers don't really have chiseled abs, as you need a layer or two of insulation if you want to go surfing in the Atlantic.
    Which our nation diet of carbs and carbs in pint form will be happy to help you cultivate.

But stiff upperlippedness and etiquette aren't really our thing. How do you feel about messin' and actin' the bollox?

sig.gif
    hippofant wrote: »
    Dear Great Britain,

Hakks

Toronto weather's more variable, due to various lake effects. It doesn't snow in April in New York, AFAIK, whereas it snows regularly here in April.

Not that regularly.
    https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Canada/Ontario/Places/toronto-snowfall-totals-snow-accumulation-averages.php
    https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/New-York/Places/new-york-city-snowfall-totals-snow-accumulation-averages.php

General google results suggest that Toronto is snowier, but not hugely so and especially not hugely so as it relates to what months it snows.

London on the other hand is much less snowy:
    https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/United-Kingdom/snowfall-annual-average.php#a

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    The british politics thread, where shit has become so FUBAR we all start talking about the weather instead.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Aim wrote: »
    Yeah, Whistler is crawling with them, at least.

Well naturally we set up a quarantine zone. Deporting them would just be cruel though

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Dear Great Britain,

Hakks

Not that regularly.
    https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Canada/Ontario/Places/toronto-snowfall-totals-snow-accumulation-averages.php
    https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/New-York/Places/new-york-city-snowfall-totals-snow-accumulation-averages.php

General google results suggest that Toronto is snowier, but not hugely so and especially not hugely so as it relates to what months it snows.

London on the other hand is much less snowy:
    https://www.currentresults.com/Weather/United-Kingdom/snowfall-annual-average.php#a

Well. It's snowed 3 times in the last 6 Aprils, so might just be recency bias on my part: https://www.torontogardens.com/2018/04/yes-toronto-often-has-snow-in-april.html/

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    The british politics thread, where shit has become so FUBAR we all start talking about the weather instead.

the weather in an entirely different country, on a completely different continent no less

fuck gendered marketing
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular

Is there anything more British?

sig.gif
    Elldren wrote: »

the weather in an entirely different country, on a completely different continent no less

While I'm honored to receive bids from English-speaking nations around the globe, my primary interest remains in not having to flee America pre-Gilead at all, so please work on mitigating your Brexit/politics that are not Brexit? I dont believe so/shitstorm just in case, so I can keep my options open

thx

Well, I hear y'all just like don't have weather anymore. You've decided to leave climate along with the EU and just stick with relentless sun in a clear sky.

• pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    HerrCron wrote: »

Is there anything more British?

Queuing, but we talked about that in the last thread.

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Dear Great Britain,

Hakks
    Hey, there are other former outposts of the empire available, you know!

We have hobbits, and the worst thing we've done politically was spaghetti pizza

Are you sure we can't fob that one off to the Aussies? They've claimed every other food item.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular

Well, I hear y'all just like don't have weather anymore. You've decided to leave climate along with the EU and just stick with relentless sun in a clear sky.

The old semi-joke is, we don't have a climate. We just have weather.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

While I'm honored to receive bids from English-speaking nations around the globe, my primary interest remains in not having to flee America pre-Gilead at all, so please work on mitigating your Brexit/politics that are not Brexit? I dont believe so/shitstorm just in case, so I can keep my options open

thx

Many thanks for taking part in the selection process for Resident Commonwealth American, while it is unfortunate that you have declined our offer at this time, we will keep your details on file and may contact you at a later date if similar openings become available.

Regards, Office of UK Dependant and Former Territories (Ex Imperial)

7qmGNt5.png

thx

Many thanks for taking part in the selection process for Resident Commonwealth American, while it is unfortunate that you have declined our offer at this time, we will keep your details on file and may contact you at a later date if similar openings become available.

Thank you, may I also remind you it was your British clandestine services that coordinated with the CIA to ruin my other backup country, so I should be placed near the top of your...how you say..."queue" in the event I express interest in re-opening my immigration case

thx

Thank you, may I also remind you it was your British clandestine services that coordinated with the CIA to ruin my other backup country, so I should be placed near the top of your...how you say..."queue" in the event I express interest in re-opening my immigration case

Unfortunately that is not a particularly unique state of affairs, but I'll make a note in the file for future reference.

7qmGNt5.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Considering the way things're going, I'm almost surprised nobody has blamed Brussels technocrats for the current weather yet.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    *reads thread title*

...Silllverrr Shamrock.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Does the Canada-thread technically serve Bogart?

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    DeadWar wrote: »

I usually agree with Jonathan Pie on most things but here is an occasion that I do not.

Everyone should have understood in a general way how the EU worked before voting to stay or leave. The fact that he mentions that people voted on issues of Sovereignty and post ref the Government said we never lost any of that shows that understanding is key.

Should we demonize all Leave voters as thick poor racists? Of course not. But let's not pretend. The people who proposed leaving the EU and the people who voted for it didn't have an idea of how to actually implement it in a way that reflected the tone of the Leave campaign.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    No, look, this Jonathan Pie shit is getting to me. Jonathan Pie is written by Spiked contributors. Spiked was formed from the staff of Living Marxism when Living Marxism declared bankruptcy to avoid paying out of a libel suit.

The libel suit was brought by ITN when Living Marxism accused them of fabricating footage of a Serbian run concentration camp during the Bosnian Civil War. These fuckers are unrepentant apologists for ethnic cleansing.

Fuck them. Fuck them. Fuck Jonathan Pie.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Ah right, that I didn't know. I know what I'll be reading up on in my lunch break

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Karl wrote: »
    Ah right, that I didn't know. I know what I'll be reading up on in my lunch break

To be honest the history of Living Marxism & Spiked (and the Revolutionary Communist Party which these publications are born from) and their coterie of supporters in the mainstream media is a fascinating reading project.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ah, dammit.

I really enjoyed Jonathon Pie and his rants about Trump. Was the kind of cathartic screaming I needed.

Right, cross that guy off the list.

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

To be honest the history of Living Marxism & Spiked (and the Revolutionary Communist Party which these publications are born from) and their coterie of supporters in the mainstream media is a fascinating reading project.

That they used to be Living Marxism is sort of weird to me, whenever I've come across Spiked (and its editor, Brendan O'Neil) they've seemed rather right-wing to me.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Good news guys! The Queen standing about in the baking heat for 15 minutes with cameras recording her live, waiting for Trump to show up for tea? It turns out that never happened! It was all just a lie to make Trump look bad! Trump said so!

BBC News didn’t even bother correcting this one - probably because this went to the UK news feed and everybody in the UK knows he was late - so you can skip the video, which is just footage of Trump lying at his rally.

Now comes the fun of waiting to see if there’ll be an official UK government response, or if everybody will hide and pretend not to have heard about this.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Carney: No-deal Brexit risk 'uncomfortably high'
    The possibility of a no-deal Brexit is "uncomfortably high" and "highly undesirable", Bank of England governor Mark Carney has told the BBC.

Mr Carney said the prospect of the UK leaving the EU without a deal was "a relatively unlikely possibility, but it is a possibility".

He said it was "absolutely in the interest" of the EU and UK to have a transition period.

Critics poured scorn on the comments, calling them part of "Project Fear".

Former work and pensions secretary Iain Duncan Smith, who backs Brexit, said: "There is no such thing as a no-deal, as the [World Trade Organization] is where the EU and the UK are already and as a rule-based organisation, both sides would have to abide by those rules.

He said the Treasury and the Bank of England had "struggled to understand how this would work," adding: "No deal is the language of Project Fear."

Yes Iain, the WTO rules is what everyone's talking about when they talk about a no-deal, you f[the rest of this sentence has been blocked to avoid getting banned for excessive profanity].

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the "transition period" was meant be two years between activating article 50, and actually getting kicked out.

This discussion has been closed.