As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Thanks For The Deal, I Hate It

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Good news guys! The Queen standing about in the baking heat for 15 minutes with cameras recording her live, waiting for Trump to show up for tea? It turns out that never happened! It was all just a lie to make Trump look bad! Trump said so!

BBC News didn’t even bother correcting this one - probably because this went to the UK news feed and everybody in the UK knows he was late - so you can skip the video, which is just footage of Trump lying at his rally.

Now comes the fun of waiting to see if there’ll be an official UK government response, or if everybody will hide and pretend not to have heard about this.

Think they should be correcting it tbh. Not everyone WILL know he was late, or in the US, and this allows him to both control the narrative and further erode credibility in the media.

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Good news guys! The Queen standing about in the baking heat for 15 minutes with cameras recording her live, waiting for Trump to show up for tea? It turns out that never happened! It was all just a lie to make Trump look bad! Trump said so!

BBC News didn’t even bother correcting this one - probably because this went to the UK news feed and everybody in the UK knows he was late - so you can skip the video, which is just footage of Trump lying at his rally.

Now comes the fun of waiting to see if there’ll be an official UK government response, or if everybody will hide and pretend not to have heard about this.

Well, who are you gonna believe, Trump or your own lying eyes?

sig.gif
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Trump is a lying sack of rat excrement and was demonstrably late in meeting the Queen and then demonstrably a rude, boorish cretin during their walkabout, but I don't want him and his rallies to become the topic of the thread.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Ah right, that I didn't know. I know what I'll be reading up on in my lunch break

To be honest the history of Living Marxism & Spiked (and the Revolutionary Communist Party which these publications are born from) and their coterie of supporters in the mainstream media is a fascinating reading project.

That they used to be Living Marxism is sort of weird to me, whenever I've come across Spiked (and its editor, Brendan O'Neil) they've seemed rather right-wing to me.

As I understood it the RCP switched from Trotskyism to Extreme Libertarianism over time. Which of course means total arsehole.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Brendan O'Neill is a reliable provider of the stupidest opinions available and I think Spiked probably subsists purely on hateclicks.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Brendan O'Neill is a reliable provider of the stupidest opinions available and I think Spiked probably subsists purely on hateclicks.

His hot take on opposition to the Tory-DUP alliance was peak O'Neill. Opposing the pact was the real anti-Irish bigotry. Apparently.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Carney: No-deal Brexit risk 'uncomfortably high'
    The possibility of a no-deal Brexit is "uncomfortably high" and "highly undesirable", Bank of England governor Mark Carney has told the BBC.

Mr Carney said the prospect of the UK leaving the EU without a deal was "a relatively unlikely possibility, but it is a possibility".

He said it was "absolutely in the interest" of the EU and UK to have a transition period.

Critics poured scorn on the comments, calling them part of "Project Fear".

Former work and pensions secretary Iain Duncan Smith, who backs Brexit, said: "There is no such thing as a no-deal, as the [World Trade Organization] is where the EU and the UK are already and as a rule-based organisation, both sides would have to abide by those rules.

He said the Treasury and the Bank of England had "struggled to understand how this would work," adding: "No deal is the language of Project Fear."

Yes Iain, the WTO rules is what everyone's talking about when they talk about a no-deal, you f[the rest of this sentence has been blocked to avoid getting banned for excessive profanity].

I don't believe any amount of profanity can be considered excessive when discussing Brexit.

And I'm pretty sure that the Bank of freaking England has a pretty solid grasp of 'how this would work'.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

His hot take on opposition to the Tory-DUP alliance was peak O'Neill. Opposing the pact was the real anti-Irish bigotry. Apparently.

Because Sammy Wilson would appreciate being called Irish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4TeNAT0Uc4

• danxdanx Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Think they should be correcting it tbh. Not everyone WILL know he was late, or in the US, and this allows him to both control the narrative and further erode credibility in the media.

That's not how the Beeb operate anymore. They'd have to get the Queen or her spokesmen on one side saying yes, Mr Trump was a little late and on the other some asshole like Tommy Robinson or a Grand Wizard for a fair debate on Trumps lateness.

danx on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Fwiw the BBC did a reality check about the trump thing

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-45058002

Spoilers: he wasn't late, but is lying about being early

• CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    danx wrote: »

That's not how the Beeb operate anymore. They'd have to get the Queen or her spokesmen on one side saying yes, Mr Trump was a little late and on the other some asshole like Tommy Robinson or a Grand Wizard for a fair debate on Trumps lateness.

Official word from the BBC is that he arrived exactly on time, neither early not late. So, the claim that he kept her waiting was false, but his counter claim that she kept him waiting was also false.

But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    A grand wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Corlis wrote: »

Official word from the BBC is that he arrived exactly on time, neither early not late. So, the claim that he kept her waiting was false, but his counter claim that she kept him waiting was also false.

Don't believe that for one second. The queen doesn't just go hang out on the podium for 15 minutes early for no reason, and her people are literally right there to say "Hey your majesty, hang on a bit, it's still early". It is literally unbelievable.

The most likely explanation I can see is that Trump's team radioed ahead to say, "POTUS will be 15 minutes early" and then like Trump made them fly in a circle while he went "WOOP WOOP WOOP!" and tried to spit out a window for 15 minutes, meaning they actually arrived on schedule.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    A grand wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

I should be mad at this perversion of LOTOR and Sir Ian McKellen but...

• NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Corlis wrote: »

Don't believe that for one second. The queen doesn't just go hang out on the podium for 15 minutes early for no reason, and her people are literally right there to say "Hey your majesty, hang on a bit, it's still early". It is literally unbelievable.

The most likely explanation I can see is that Trump's team radioed ahead to say, "POTUS will be 15 minutes early" and then like Trump made them fly in a circle while he went "WOOP WOOP WOOP!" and tried to spit out a window for 15 minutes, meaning they actually arrived on schedule.

No, they arrived late.
    In your hypothetical, they changed schedule to be earlier, then were late.

If i have dentist at 9am, change it to 8.30, and then arrive at 9, i am late.

• HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    https://www.vox.com/2018/8/3/17648198/brexit-food-shortage-stockpile-theresa-may-european-union-united-kingdom
    The country won’t literally starve. But hunger will increase. Poor people will skip more meals. (One in four Britons already say they do.) Middle-class families will see their standard of living fall as more of their budgets are eaten up by food costs; currently Britons spend 11 percent of their income on food (the poorest spend 16 percent), and that share is sure to increase after a hard Brexit. In the initial shock of leaving, without enough stockpiling, there could be shortages affecting people across the income spectrum.

This is the point in the story where it’s necessary to take a step back and acknowledge that this is madness. An extremely rich developed country is very close to deciding to voluntarily deprive itself of its food supply because 51.89 percent of voters in a referendum two years ago voted the wrong way.

And in spite of the fact that the country is having public discussions about the propriety of using the fucking air force to airdrop food to people, no one in power wants to stop this process! Both May and her main rival, the Labour Party’s Jeremy Corbyn, have decided to treat the referendum result as reflecting the will of the people and have rejected the idea of doing another vote, even though government officials are now questioning if the country will have enough food to feed itself and enough medicine to stock its hospitals.

I’m in agreement with Dylan Matthews here. I feel like I’ve been distracted by the Trump TV disaster for 2 years and then checked back in on you guys and you’re preparing for the fucking apocalypse

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    That's a very abstract method of reducing obesity.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    That's a very abstract method of reducing obesity.

Food quality will decrease before food quantity so obesity will probably actually increase

fuck gendered marketing
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    https://www.vox.com/2018/8/3/17648198/brexit-food-shortage-stockpile-theresa-may-european-union-united-kingdom
    The country won’t literally starve. But hunger will increase. Poor people will skip more meals. (One in four Britons already say they do.) Middle-class families will see their standard of living fall as more of their budgets are eaten up by food costs; currently Britons spend 11 percent of their income on food (the poorest spend 16 percent), and that share is sure to increase after a hard Brexit. In the initial shock of leaving, without enough stockpiling, there could be shortages affecting people across the income spectrum.

This is the point in the story where it’s necessary to take a step back and acknowledge that this is madness. An extremely rich developed country is very close to deciding to voluntarily deprive itself of its food supply because 51.89 percent of voters in a referendum two years ago voted the wrong way.

And in spite of the fact that the country is having public discussions about the propriety of using the fucking air force to airdrop food to people, no one in power wants to stop this process! Both May and her main rival, the Labour Party’s Jeremy Corbyn, have decided to treat the referendum result as reflecting the will of the people and have rejected the idea of doing another vote, even though government officials are now questioning if the country will have enough food to feed itself and enough medicine to stock its hospitals.

I’m in agreement with Dylan Matthews here. I feel like I’ve been distracted by the Trump TV disaster for 2 years and then checked back in on you guys and you’re preparing for the fucking apocalypse

It's ok, the UK knows what to do in the case of the apocalypse happening

REMAIN INDOORS
    DO NOT THINK ABOUT THE EVENT

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
    Karl wrote: »
    DeadWar wrote: »

I usually agree with Jonathan Pie on most things but here is an occasion that I do not.

Everyone should have understood in a general way how the EU worked before voting to stay or leave. The fact that he mentions that people voted on issues of Sovereignty and post ref the Government said we never lost any of that shows that understanding is key.

Should we demonize all Leave voters as thick poor racists? Of course not. But let's not pretend. The people who proposed leaving the EU and the people who voted for it didn't have an idea of how to actually implement it in a way that reflected the tone of the Leave campaign.

That video is completely stupid, and doesn't reflect reality in any way.

Imagine the referendum had been phrased in this way...

"Would you like to make an enormous change to society with unknown consequences? This change is detailed in a 5000 page document which can be found here...."

If you say "No" then you are effectively saying, "I either like the status quo, or am happy enough with it to not waste my time reading a 5000 page document". Either of those statements are completely fine and consistent.

If you say "Yes" and read the document before saying that, then thats fine.

If you say "Yes" without reading the document, then you are an ill informed idiot.

So 'Remainers' can happily vote in ignorance, because that can be voting for "I reckon things are fine, we don't need a big change I don't understand" whereas Leavers cannot vote in a moral way without being informed, because THEY DON"T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE VOTING FOR.

A remainer voting remain is voting to do nothing. They understand that, because they understand and can judge fairly the statement that they don't want things to change.

And the reason that labor can't come up with a cohesive departure policy from the EU buddy, is because one does not exist. Leavers were voting for something which cannot be delivered on the timescale of a few years, it could perhaps be engineered over a decade or so, but the idea of leaving will only have a voting majority for a few more years AT very best. In reality, it doesn't have a support majority today.

Oh, and when someone says, "I'm worried about sovereignty issues" then the correct follow on question is "the sovereign right to do what?" and then you'll find that the answer is "Keep out non white people". Sovereignty issues are the uk version of 'the civil war is about states rights'

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Oh, you won't really starve, you'll just have to skip meals? Well, alright, then.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

I’m in agreement with Dylan Matthews here. I feel like I’ve been distracted by the Trump TV disaster for 2 years and then checked back in on you guys and you’re preparing for the fucking apocalypse.
    It's okay. I got my 'Prepared for the future' achievement in 'Fallout 4' years ago. According to Todd Howard, I'm 'ready'. :P
    We are so turbo-fucked in this state of 51.89% self-righteous suicide. Witness me! :bigfrown:

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    Oh, you won't really starve, you'll just have to skip meals? Well, alright, then.

Simply skipping three meals a day should ensure adequate food for the duration of the ordeal.

I am reading up on regulatory equivalence and this seems like it might be this thread's jam

http://blogs.sussex.ac.uk/uktpo/2018/08/03/mamma-mia-here-we-go-again-equivalence-for-goods-regulation-in-the-chequers-proposal/#more-2608

Short version:
    Before brexit, EU and UK regulations are the same, meaning nobody has to carry out any assessment to determine if products produced in either meet the standards of the other

After brexit, assuming no regulatory changes, EU and UK regulations are equivalent, but under WTO rules the exporter has to prove this through conformity assessment

Even if the conformity assessment is carried out, and the regs are accepted as equivalent by the importer, it is still likely that goods traversing the border will need to be inspected to determine their adherence to said regs

tl;dr: the oft repeated claim of brexiteers that WTO rules mandate recognition of regulatory equivalence, and by extension that those goods can traverse the EU border "frictionlessly" is nonsense

• JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    What are the consequences if the UK decides to just not enforce the customs border at all in the event of a no deal Brexit, to keep the flow of imports unimpeded?

Whats stopping them from pretending that they're still in the custom's union when it comes to imports?

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »
    What are the consequences if the UK decides to just not enforce the customs border at all in the event of a no deal Brexit, to keep the flow of imports unimpeded?

Whats stopping them from pretending that they're still in the custom's union when it comes to imports?

Britain's custom borders cease to exist with anyone

• Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    "There will be adequate food, as long as we can get it across the border"

Then according to WTO rules it has to not enforce a customs border on anyone, which would mean that Iran and North Korea could trade with us, as we would not be allowed to inspect any goods.

• JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    tbloxham wrote: »

Then according to WTO rules it has to not enforce a customs border on anyone, which would mean that Iran and North Korea could trade with us, as we would not be allowed to inspect any goods.

Interesting. I could see Leavers thinking this is a great idea as long as they keep the immigrants out.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    I am reading up on regulatory equivalence and this seems like it might be this thread's jam

The only jam allowed in the Brexit thread is innovative jam

This just sounds like common sense, and we’ve decided not to bother with that in Britain any more

The most favoured nation rule

The gist is that WTO members are obliged to treat all other members equally, except where they have a specific trade agreement, so dropping customs checks for one means you're obliged to stop imposing checks on anyone

In practice the recourse that other members have if you don't is the WTO dispute resolution mechanism, which has no powers of enforcement other than recognising that any retaliatory (trade) measures you take are legitimate

Dispute resolution can take years but being in formal dispute with a load of countries is not a good look for a country ostensibly looking to sign a raft of trade agreements

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

Just as well there's all those plans being made to reduce food quality and open up the market to less well regulated suppliers!
    I doubt the ERG are even bothering to look into food issues, more there are to start the more open we'll be to their lobbying.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Time to dig for victory!

Or we would if we could afford to own land/property.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Liiya wrote: »
    Time to dig for victory!

No, you've got it all wrong. See, this is how Rees-Mogg will bring the aristocracy back to power, by forcing people to become tenant-farming peasants once more.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    Time to dig for victory!

No, you've got it all wrong. See, this is how Rees-Mogg will bring the aristocracy back to power, by forcing people to become tenant-farming peasants once more.

... this is frighteningly plausible.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Officers having their leave/rest days cancelled is nothing new but when you're briefing Chiefs that you need to do this due to social disorder because of Brexit, maybe Brexit ain't a great idea:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-45065968
    Police will be stopped from taking holidays if the UK crashes out of the EU without a deal, according to the front of i Weekend. The paper claims the government is preparing for "social unrest" in the event of a no-deal Brexit, and, in a "worst-case scenario", police chiefs my be asked to cancel officers' leave.

Also a decade of Tory cuts means the police aren't ready for mass social disorder...

SharpyVII on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Why is a no deal brexit sounding more and more like the start of mad max?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Don't worry we'll soon by able to get rid of those pesky EU rule (which don't actually exist) that mean doctors have to train for too long!

I for one look forward to lower Medical standards.....

How the fuck is this being spun as a positive by the Leavers??!?

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Don't worry we'll soon by able to get rid of those pesky EU rule (which don't actually exist) that mean doctors have to train for too long!

I for one look forward to lower Medical standards.....

How the fuck is this being spun as a positive by the Leavers??!?

"Regulations are bullshit that exist only to make work and money for bureaucrats"

This discussion has been closed.