As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    The UAC'd probably be like, "What if we spliced parts from seraphim and demon, then stapled on some rocket launcher and railguns? What could go wrong?"

I don’t really know how the UAC pivoted from ‘generic space marine contractor’ to ‘corporate space cult’ but I am all for it.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The UAC'd probably be like, "What if we spliced parts from seraphim and demon, then stapled on some rocket launcher and railguns? What could go wrong?"

I don’t really know how the UAC pivoted from ‘generic space marine contractor’ to ‘corporate space cult’ but I am all for it.

Almost sounds like a line from a UAC promotional video.

"How did the UAC go from a generic space marine contractor to corporate space cult? It's all thanks to the singular vision of one woman: Dr. Olivia Pierce.

250px-Olivia_pierce_p01.jpg

Her dream of ascending to demonic godhood at the expense of humanity led to the development of the Argent Energy Hell Portal, ushering in the end of days and damning all mortal souls to an eternity of torment in the demon underworld."

H9f4bVe.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Really dragging ass at work this morning. Relatively empty building today, so I cranked up my phone's volume and pulled up Rip & Tear and BFG Division. If these songs don't get you going, man I don't even know... it's like audio-meth or something. WOO!

Mick Gordon needs to be declared a national treasure. All nations.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Nice. I can listen to music with earbuds at work, and if I'm having a frustrating day dealing with people or tasks, I'll throw on the DOOM 2016 OST and then I CAN OVERCOME ANYTHING

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    The high's gone now, but earlier this morning I was fairly certain I could wrestle a rabid grizzly bear into submission with my bare hands if I had to.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

"How did the UAC go from a generic space marine contractor to corporate space cult? It's all thanks to the singular vision of one woman: Dr. Olivia Pierce.

Her dream of ascending to demonic godhood at the expense of humanity led to the development of the Argent Energy Hell Portal, ushering in the end of days and damning all mortal souls to an eternity of torment in the demon underworld."

I'm pretty sure she's responsible for all the god-awful platforming towards the middle of the game right after you get the double-jump ability. That alone is a crime punishable by death, even before all that "opening a portal to the hell dimension and inviting a massive invasion in".

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I never had an issue with the platforming in this game.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I'm pretty sure she's responsible for all the god-awful platforming towards the middle of the game right after you get the double-jump ability. That alone is a crime punishable by death, even before all that "opening a portal to the hell dimension and inviting a massive invasion in".

I'll be honest, I have no idea what platforming you're talking about, I found the platforming elements of the game to be spot-on and they barely even slowed me down.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I'll be honest, I have no idea what platforming you're talking about, I found the platforming elements of the game to be spot-on and they barely even slowed me down.

I enjoyed them as part of the combat when the portions converged, since it was like zero effort and smooth as silk.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Doom Eternal gameplay reveal tomorrow at 9am PST, 12pm Est

Will apparently be streamed on Bethesda's twitch page

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Yesssss I'm so ready for this game

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I'm here at QuakeCon so I'll get to see it in person! :rotate:

JtgVX0H.png
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    These fuckers know I'm only watching for DOOM and they're making me wait.

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    DOOM ETERNAL looks DOOM as fuck.

Very 2016 with lots of smart looking upgrades.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I only caught the last like 2 minutes of it

but

GIVE ME IT NOW

MUST HAVE NOW

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    good god above

that looks somehow even BETTER than Doom 2016

I need that in my veins right NOW

It looks so fucking good, holy shit

JtgVX0H.png
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    I think one of my favorite little upgrades is they appear to have decided that a Thrown Grenade was not Doom enough so they have a Predator Shoulder Cannon with multiple weapon types including Flamethrower.

Man they fucking nailed the red/pink/brown/green palette of Doom 2.

This looks really good.

That gameplay trailer is my 2018 GOTY...

Love how the UAC is apparently trying to spin the demon invasion too.

"You may notice a slight change in the environment. Do not be alarmed, this is all according to plan."

"Remember, 'demon' is an offensive term."

"Earth is the melting pot of the universe"

Is it weird that I think the mini spider-brains are cute AF?

• JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    The Super Shotgun was one of my favorite weapons of the last game. There were a few times when enemies were juuust far enough away that it wasn't as efficient to use. They completely solved that problem by adding a fucking grappling hook to it. :D

steam_sig.png
  • MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Oh. My. God. That looks awesome. Also being released on switch at the same day as other consoles if I understand correctly? Port handheld by the dark mages at panic button - can't wait to see how hard they can push the switch this time, given their work with previous Doom and Wolfenstein.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Doom Eternal Will Let You Invade Other Players' Campaigns

Ugh, no, why? That is the absolute last thing Doom needs.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Hopefully it'll be something you can opt out of.

• ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Doom Eternal Will Let You Invade Other Players' Campaigns

Ugh, no, why? That is the absolute last thing Doom needs.

They said you could switch it off.

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    That article states as much :P

I thought that it sounded fucking cool. I hope lots of people try invading me while I'm playing through

JtgVX0H.png
  • Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    Christ, how do you kill hype so quickly this year for me, Beth?

I detest the new art direction.
    The gameplay looks utterly gimmick ridden.
    The pallet of doom 2 just looks terrible in 2018 CE after the nicely gritty feel of 2016.
    The glory kills just leave me cold.

It is a truly unnatural state of affairs that an EA release has me more hyped than the whole of the Beth lineup this year. It's like Beth'd had a total reverse-Midas touch for all their upcoming things thus far. What the fuck.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
    I dunno but that's gonna be a lonely island for ya

The art direction looks largely the same as the first game, and the glory kills looked mostly the same as well, with some variation thanks to the predator arm-blade. The Mancubus glory kill is practically the same thing as the first game, except now you force feed it the explodey bit on a blade skewer.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I already love so much the use of the grappling hook against aerial enemies to enhance the platforming.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I couldn't stand them, and was really glad when they were over. They weren't an issue in the later "Hell" themed levels, but they were terrible midgame.

• Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    The pallet + movement mechanics look like they'd be very prone to causing nausea for me. No thank you.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I thought that it sounded fucking cool. I hope lots of people try invading me while I'm playing through

And honestly, if it starts to be a bother, you can turn it off.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    I’ve not seen the footage, but I love how Doom seems to be cribbing the medeival elements from Quake 1, along with augmenting the Doomslayer with Predatoresque gear

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Man this looks awesome awesome

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So I guess that's why they didn't call it "Hell on Earth" :biggrin:

Game looks like it's taking everything from Doom 2016 and going to an extreme with it. Not sure how I feel about a lot of the new content apparently being "Monster/weapon from 2016 that we made to look more like 1993"

Really worried they didn't attach a release date to the game. I think we would have gotten one by now if it was coming out may 2019 like I was hoping it would.

Yowza.

Seeing this footage now, it’s crazy to see, despite how groundbreaking Doom 2016 is/was, id was actually being quite conservative in terms of honing in on the classic Doom look with a fresh paint job.

This is like MK1 to MK2 in terms of reinvention, scope and ambition.

What is really getting me excited is this feels like Doom just by looking at it.

iou4iwa20816.jpg

Doom does have a feel. Doom 2016 came damn close but this... yeah, I'm ready.