As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Enter the Gungeon: That's when I reach for my revolver

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    My favorite run ever happened the other night. I ended up getting nothing too exciting for guns, but I did end up with all of the Payday items for a full squad of clown goons. I also got a space ship that shot lasers and an orbiting ship that shot missiles. I got all the way to
    The Lich's last stage
    before he got me. Having a huge squad of pets in this game is hilarious.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    My previous run I got a total of 3 guns, all bad, before dying to the floor 4 boss.

The game must have taken pity on me, because now I have the Black Hole Gun and the Abyssal Tentacle, and holy mackeroly this is ridiculous.

e: Aaaaaand got my first Dragun kill with that!

This combo is so strong because the black holes usually suck in your own bullets too, but the tentacle is a homing beam so the black hole doesn't affect it, and it does pretty good damage. Plus three more tentacles come out of the black hole, so bosses take continuous high damage and you don't even need to dodge their bullets.

Mr Fuzzbutt on
    broken image link
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Man, the Rat is just not fun. Not even the fight itself, though that's rough; it's more the skipping two floors worth of shop items just so you can get to it. Better hope you're the Hunter and your dog is generous with key-finding.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Man, the Rat is just not fun. Not even the fight itself, though that's rough; it's more the skipping two floors worth of shop items just so you can get to it. Better hope you're the Hunter and your dog is generous with key-finding.

I usually just reserve those runs for if I happen to find a stealing item on the first 3 floors (I almost always hit up the sewer). But even though I beat him first try I've been struggling lately because it feels like the hurtbox on a bunch of his bullets are juuuust a bit too wide...

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    How do you steal items? I can't seem to pick any up without paying for them

PSN: Canadian_llama
    Disco11 wrote: »

There's a few items that turns you invisible, create a distraction, or charm/stun the shopkeeper. You just grab the item you want when that's happening, but it'll increase your curse a bit, and there's a chance that he shuts down the shop.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    There was never any chance this run goes all the way, but the fact that I was able to finish it was crazy. It's reeeeeal easy to lose track of your curse levels when you're on the Spice. (I'd recommend 1.5 or 2x speed.)

https://youtu.be/3aGgj5Df48s

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I have yet to complete a run, but I finally bought and delivered the Prime Primer.

A Tips and Tricks taught me to prioritize keys and the chests I use them on. I feel really good right now. I generally don't like Roguelikes. The only two I can enjoy are Really Big Sky and Enter the Gungeon.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Enter the Gungeon is pretty forgiving, as Roguelikes go, because it's a bullet hell. Being good at the game can go a long way towards a successful run (vs. other Roguelikes that can end up being more RNG dependent).

3clipse wrote: »
    Enter the Gungeon is pretty forgiving, as Roguelikes go, because it's a bullet hell. Being good at the game can go a long way towards a successful run (vs. other Roguelikes that can end up being more RNG dependent).

Rogue Legacy is pretty forgiving as well.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    It finally happened. The run of my life. I was dual-wielding Shell and Bullet with Hungry Hungry Bullets, Glass Gluon Stones, and Full Metal Jacket. Nothing could touch me; whenever I fired it was like parting the Red Sea. I got up to seven hearts and six armor. I slew the High Dragun for the first time, almost effortlessly. I forged the Bullet. All I have to do is go pick up a stray heart or two from earlier in the level and then I can
    dcg609xa3kt6.jpg

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Wyvern wrote: »
    It finally happened. The run of my life. I was dual-wielding Shell and Bullet with Hungry Hungry Bullets, Glass Gluon Stones, and Full Metal Jacket. Nothing could touch me; whenever I fired it was like parting the Red Sea. I got up to seven hearts and six armor. I slew the High Dragun for the first time, almost effortlessly. I forged the Bullet. All I have to do is go pick up a stray heart or two from earlier in the level and then I can
    dcg609xa3kt6.jpg

:bro:

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

There's a few items that turns you invisible, create a distraction, or charm/stun the shopkeeper. You just grab the item you want when that's happening, but it'll increase your curse a bit, and there's a chance that he shuts down the shop.

Certain items let you just snatch it in plain sight, too, but will result in you always getting caught.

Also: there are a few items that HAVE to be stolen (at which point they're unlocked for the normal chest pool). You can get these by just going loud, though.

Sure, but that's not a roguelike.

The flipside of "Gungeon is pretty forgiving" though is that it that it is also fairly demanding, because unlike Isaac there's not much that will just completely carry a run regardless of how you perform.

Garthor on
    Garthor wrote: »

Certain items let you just snatch it in plain sight, too, but will result in you always getting caught.

Also: there are a few items that HAVE to be stolen (at which point they're unlocked for the normal chest pool). You can get these by just going loud, though.

Sure, but that's not a roguelike.

The flipside of "Gungeon is pretty forgiving" though is that it that it is also fairly demanding, because unlike Isaac there's not much that will just completely carry a run regardless of how you perform.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_roguelikes

In what way?

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I learned 2 things today.

1: Regular Shotgun and AK-47 have an unbelievably badass synergy with each other.
    2: All the badass synergies in the world don't mean a damn if you forgetfully use up the blanks you need to reach the Rat before opening his chamber.

Enlong on
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    God, I hate it when I have a godly arsenal but I end up wiping at floor 4 or 5 becuase I can't dodge worth a shit during a boss fight.

Got almost 40 hours into the game and have only reached the Dragun once. Its going to take me forever to clear the pasts with my reaction time.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Let's not get into the Roguelike/Roguelite definition discussion again, please :p

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited August 2018
    Every time I whine about this game, its always followed by an amazing run.

Got the whole Payday item set (which is amazing btw) and a perfect set of guns along with clone which is my new favorite item. Decided to try to carry the TV to the forge on a whim, unlocked Robot.

Even made it to the Dragun for a second time. Died because I got sloppy and nervous on the fifth floor and lost too many hearts despite gaining quite abit of containers.

Whew. Needed a run like that to get my confidence back up.

Dr. Chaos on
    Clone is incredible.

I like it a lot more than Gun Soul.

That said, I'm very happy for the game's save feature, otherwise Clone might be one of my least favorites.

Pig is my favorite of the rez items, personally. I'd rather watch someone have an insane three hour clone run than do it again myself.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited August 2018
    Mutation is an astoundingly good beam weapon. Just melts boss HP.

Get it in a shop every time you see it. So worth it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Stuck in the Convict's past:
    pb0UiaH.jpg

You have got to be fucking kidding me..

How did you even get over there?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited August 2018
    Walked into the boss arena, quickly decided to go back to the start and see if there was anything to click on and get some dialog like I did with The Marine's and the cutscene and boss intro just started as I was walking back and the door to the arena locked.

Bullshit bug that cost me one of the best runs I ever had. Had to quit out to the Breach.

Dr. Chaos on
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Walked into the boss arena, quickly decided to go back to the start and see if there was anything to click on and get some dialog like I did with The Marine's and the cutscene and boss intro just started as I was walking back and the door to the arena locked.

Bullshit bug that cost me one of the best runs I ever had. Had to quit out to the Breach.

If you're on Twitter I'd suggest telling dodgeroll Brent (his handle is something like that) about it, they're pretty responsive.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Reminds me of the time I got to the Robot past and the game softlocked.

Dr. Chaos wrote: »

If you're on Twitter I'd suggest telling dodgeroll Brent (his handle is something like that) about it, they're pretty responsive.
    Done.

He responded. Some might say as quickly as a...."bullet".

*holds hand in the air looking for high fives, doesn't get one*

Well, Crown of Guns + Remote Bullets is hilarious. I feel like it breaks the boss DPS cap too? Certainly seemed to burn down Wallmonger pretty quick.

That said, I think I'm just about done despite having a few things left to do (Turbo Mode, Challenge Mode, Rat). Turbo is doable, but for Challenge I inevitably find a room with a combo like Shockwave/Gun Queue/Thermal Clips that ruins the run, and the Rat is just a huge pain in the ass to both get to and fight.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    edited August 2018
    I decided to return to my PC profile on the game and try to kill the Robot's pst there.

And my god, I had forgotten how infuriating it can be to play as the Robot. As soon as you remove your ability to use a specific resource (hearts), it feels as though the game is throwing that resource and only that resource at you all the time. Enemies were dropping Hearts like crazy, and my first four chests were almost insulting with how unsuited to the Robot they were. The one good item out of the lot was the Scrambler. The other three chests?
    • Heart Bottle (increases heart count by 1)
    • Ring of Miserly Protection (Increases heart count, breaks if an item is bought)
    • Infuriating Note (slightly less useless than the preceding)

And on the third floor I reached, I ran into who else but the doctors. They couldn't help me, but they gave me an item instead. It was a bottle. Best used for carrying extra hearts for emergency healing.

It was almost a mercy when the game crashed a few rooms later.

edit:

Hahaha. The game saved my run and I restarted floor 2. The first two items? Orange and Pink Guon Stone.

I actually managed to win that run on the heels of the Sling, Crutch, AWP, Scrambler, and a boatload of spiteful determination.

Enlong on
    edited August 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNIVDQKfBR0

Aww yeah. Thats my new jam.

4BcbvRq.gif

Dr. Chaos on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Well I had my best single run and I clocked in over a half hour. I got a wierd rainbow chest that stocked me with Sci fi guns and tons of goodies. I was pretty surprised because it was at first just a regular brown no key chest. I almost blew it up.

Rainbow chests are super rare and give many many prizes. They can also disguise themselves as brown chests.

Enlong wrote: »
    Rainbow chests are super rare and give many many prizes. They can also disguise themselves as brown chests.

I did not know this!

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I was quite surprised! Some of the guns fire so much shit and also ricochet, so it didnt help me see what is going on unfortunately. Ive had better luck with powerful, regular weapons. Was still a fun run though!

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I'm enjoying this far far more with the Prime Primer out of my way and little reason to listen to the NPCs (for now)

Now I'm consistently making it to The Hollow.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Is there anything more agonizing than getting a synergy rainbow chest on a doomed run?

All the bonuses in the world but can't get far as the robot when you're already down to one armor on the second floor. Damn.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I hate the pilot’s starter gun. He has the best perks in my opinion, but it feels bad, sounds bad, and looks bad to fire.

edited August 2018
    Its hard to make a energy gun unappealing but that one certainly does it.

Dr. Chaos on
    It's totally passable for the first floor but you do desperately need something else starting at the first boss.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    So there was a pretty large content patch on Friday. Two new characters to unlock, new shrines, guns, modes, and you can even pet the dog! Wall/Pedestal Mimics drop items/guns instead of nothing now. Lots of good stuff. So I'm getting sucked back into this again.
    Patch 2.1.0
    New Features

New guns, items and synergies
    Two new playable characters to unlock
    A new secret floor with unique enemies and a new boss
    Rainbow mode - A new mode inspired by the community where you start each floor with a rainbow chest, but can only pick up one of the offered guns/items
    A new Beholster shrine
    Unlockable alternate art for starting weapons
    You can pet the dog!
    Gameplay Changes/Improvements

Increased the boss DPS cap slightly (making it more lenient for players)
    Boss health bars now fade out when drawn over players
    The Robot can now use shrines that cost health by spending armor instead
    The empty bottle now works properly with more items
    Radial traps will give the player more time to react upon entering the room
    Critical shots should no longer be blindingly bright
    Increased the dropped rewards for defeating the Old King
    Pedestal and wall mimics now drop rewards on death
    Wall mimics will no longer spawn in boss rooms unless you are particularly cursed
    Increased the chances of spawning some special rooms
    Red chests that reward health up items will now also drop one key
    Optimization pass which should improve performance in scenes with many bullets (particularly bosses like the Gorgun)
    Many balance changes to guns and items, which should make red chests more consistently good
    Bug Fixes

Fixed an issue which caused more wall mimics to show up on each subsequent run until the game was restarted (woops)
    Fixed an issue where the speedrun timer counted down during some portions of the loading screen
    Fixed an issue where duplicate resolutions could show up in the Video options menu
    Fixed some missing or erroneous strings in several languages
    Fixed an issue where picking up coins could cause slowdown on PS4 in some cases
    Fixed a crash issue caused by the payday drill
    Fixed an issue where the chest teleporter could sometimes cause chests to never reappear
    Fixed an issue where co-op players could get stuck in walls during boss intros in boss rush mode or on the secret rat floor
    Patch 2.1.1
    Fixed several duplicated Ammonimicon entries (Cubulon and Tombstoner)
    Fixed an issue with the scouter health bars
    Fixed an issue where some companions' bullets were triggering negative modifiers in Challenge Mode (Blobulin Rancher / Unfriendly Fire)
    Patch 2.1.2
    Beholster shrine polish
    Made sure boss rewards work correctly in rainbow runs
    Fixed an issue where the dark room effect could persist unintentionally
    Fixed a massive visual issue in the foyer (related to a carpet)
    Fixed an issue where the reward pedestal on the new secret floor could show up as a pink square
    Patch 2.1.3
    (Consoles) Fixed several crashes related to new weapons and some Paradox loadouts
    (Consoles) Fixed a crash when entering the Pilot's past
    (Consoles) Fixed a crash caused by being killed by a Tarnisher in some situations
    Fixed a softlock caused by entering miniboss rooms in certain layouts
    Fixed an issue with Orbital Bullets which could cause projectiles to behave oddly
    Fixed frame rate issues caused by some Orbital Bullet synergies
    Orbital Bullets no longer make Winchester's game super hard
    Fixed an issue where Paradox couldn't be unlocked as the Pilot
    Fixed an issue where the [REDACTED]'s starting weapon wasn't spawning correctly
    Fixed an issue with the Sprun and Blessed runs
    Fixed an issue where some guns were failing to spawn (e.g. alternate art weapons)
    Fixed an issue with dog petting (you can no longer start a pet while mid dodgeroll)
    Fixed an issue with the Third Party Controller and the Displacer Beast interacting poorly
    Fixed an issue where Advanced DraGun kills weren't counting for the Rainbow run award trophy
    Flight no longer makes accessing the new secret floor more difficult
    Baby Good Mimic can no longer become Gatling Gull (... c'mon)
    Added some new audio for several new guns
    Fixed an issue where intro text wasn't showing up correctly
    Fixed a typo in Orbital Bullets
    Removed some duplicate guns from the Ammonomicon
    Nitra will now show up correctly in the Ammonomicon
    Note that there are some pretty critical fixes in 2.1.3; these should now be live on Steam and gog, and we'll be getting these out to consoles as quickly as we can!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀