As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SCHEDULE IS LIVE! (On the app now too!) What are you excited to see?

IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
edited August 2018 in PAX West
Even though it was kinda leaked a week ago, the pax 2018 schedule is officially live on the site. http://west.paxsite.com/schedule What are YOU guys most excited for?

For me, it's DMC5 and C Team. Still need time to properly study the whole thing though.

IncreaseBlue on

• Options
    Croatian SensationCroatian Sensation Registered User regular
    Well the site is crashing at the moment but from what I did see, I want to see the improv and anthems panels.

• Options
    RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Why do the League of Legends and Puyo Puyo Tetris tournaments have to overlap?

Edit: LoL tournament is no longer a thing. :(

RavenHusky on
    tw787Xr.png

• Options
    RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I've never been to a panel! :O but I like the look of that psychology of Zelda one, and I've always wanted to compete in a Smash Bros or MH tourney!

...and I see now that Zelda and Smash Brothers overlap, which doesn't seem statistically probable (that I would be interested in 3 panels and 2 of them would overlap)

I hate math and math hates me

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    RiDE wrote: »
    I've never been to a panel! :O but I like the look of that psychology of Zelda one, and I've always wanted to compete in a Smash Bros or MH tourney!

...and I see now that Zelda and Smash Brothers overlap, which doesn't seem statistically probable (that I would be interested in 3 panels and 2 of them would overlap)

I hate math and math hates me

The core truth of the PAX West schedule is that it is deliberately crafted to put popular things at the same time. Often on opposite sides of the map. This is because too many people go to PAX to safely fit in the WSCC. If nobody left it, the fire marshal would shut PAX down. For example, Acquisitions Incorporated conflicts with Giant Bomb and Late Night Dub Fight.

If you just want casual Smash, it is always being played in the Console Freeplay area.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    RiDE wrote: »
    I've never been to a panel! :O

I am shocked! I love the panels at PAX. This year is looking to be very panel heavy for me, and the concert folks are still TBD no?

I'm having the same conundrum of conflicting panels, as SEGA has one on localization that overlaps an Anthem one.

IncreaseBlue on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I am slightly irked by the Acquisitions Inc. and Giant Bomb overlap on sunday. Luckily, both are likely be available in some sort of VOD.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    If you just want casual Smash, it is always being played in the Console Freeplay area.

SMASH IS NEVER CASUAL AHHHH *slaps controllers out of everyone's hands* but yes, that is some clever crowd control!
    I am shocked! I love the panels at PAX. This year is looking to be very panel heavy for me, and the concert folks are still TBD no?

I'm having the same conundrum of conflicting panels, as SEGA has one on localization that overlaps an Anthem one.

I know! I've been going since 09 and never sat in on a panel. I did watch a panel for PAX South on Twitch, though, so that... half counts?

OK so clearly the answer is somebody needs to figure out cloning real quick so we can all have 3 copies of ourselves and one clone can go to a panel, the second can go to a concert, and the third can get the sleep the other two won't get until the weekend is over

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Is anyone else having issues with the app on Android?

• Options
    sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    League of Heels Saturday night! (Even though they announced it weeks ago)

• Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    sedirox wrote: »
    League of Heels Saturday night! (Even though they announced it weeks ago)

For the first time, we've got a primetime slot. Don't miss it!

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am specifically excited for the PAX Prank 10th anniversary panel

(holy shit it's been a long time)

• Options
    zwitterionzwitterion Registered User regular
    Saddened that there is no Gearbox panel this year for the first time since I started going in 2012. Always entertaining and that pretty much means no BL3 info until at least 2019.

• Options
    thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    Anyone know whos playing in the concerts? They usually list the bands in the schedule but I'm not seeing anything listed.

• Options
    InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    I usually say the concerts, but thems a big question mark right now. (I wish the Brothers Chaps would bring their convention style out west for Trogdor, but that's not in the cards... They're ATL; it's a lot to ask.)

2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • Options
    gorgeousplanetgorgeousplanet Meat Popsicle OregonRegistered User regular
    Am I wrong, or is Bethesda missing this year?

• Options
    edited August 2018

Is the map on the site correct? I couldn't tell if it was updated or last years'. The app isn't reflecting one last I checked.

EDIT: It appears that it is indeed updated as it is showing the correct dates for this year's show. I don't see Bethesda and it looks like PAX heard my cries into the aether of having Roosterteeth out of the Expo Hall and in their own dedicated room space on the 4th floor :)

IncreaseBlue on
  • Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

Is the map on the site correct? I couldn't tell if it was updated or last years'. The app isn't reflecting one last I checked.

EDIT: It appears that it is indeed updated as it is showing the correct dates for this year's show. I don't see Bethesda and it looks like PAX heard my cries into the aether of having Roosterteeth out of the Expo Hall and in their own dedicated room space on the 4th floor :)

Yes, it's updated--and I am sad to see Bethesda not there, but--Valve has Bethesda's usual spot!

Pavio on
    v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    Pavio wrote: »

Yes, it's updated--and I am sad to see Bethesda not there, but--Valve has Bethesda's usual spot!

The maps outside the WSCC are not out yet, so Bethesda could be doing something elsewhere. Like renting out the Paramount like Wizards Of The Coast did in 2016, and Bungie did in 2017 (although hopefully without wrapping up a day early). The Annex is possible too.

• Options
    Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    So far, the panels that interest me for this year are:
    -Game Jobs You Never Even Knew Existed
    -Friday Night Concerts
    -Saturday Night Concerts
    -Challenge Issued! Getting into the Game Industry, Part 1
    -Side Hustle: How to Make Games After Work Hours

Can anyone guess why I'm going this year?

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • Options
    The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    I am fascinated by Afternoon Tea: An In Depth Look at Tea and Video Games
    But I'm not sure if I'll be able to go :(

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
  • Options
    Late Night Dub Fight is a favorite of mine and I'm willing to tolerate the huge line.
    Live Oil Painting - Guild Wars 2 seems pretty neat, and I like to start my days easy.
    I don't see much else compelling me right now, but the current schedule isn't internally searchable. Once Guidebook gets it live, I'll be able to see which panels feature folks I like. That tends to give me a few more things I want to attend.

• Options
    kaZombiekaZombie AlbertaRegistered User regular

The maps outside the WSCC are not out yet, so Bethesda could be doing something elsewhere. Like renting out the Paramount like Wizards Of The Coast did in 2016, and Bungie did in 2017 (although hopefully without wrapping up a day early). The Annex is possible too.

do maps outside of WSCC get updated on the pax website or somewhere else?

• Options
    kaZombie wrote: »

do maps outside of WSCC get updated on the pax website or somewhere else?

They should be updated on the Main page when it happens. It's usually not crazy exciting. Most of it is telling people there is stuff outside the WSCC and where those places are. I know when I first went, I never went to the Hyatt. Or the 6th floor of the WSCC.

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    I wish they would update the pax app already now that it's officially out

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'll be dragged to all the YouTuber events. Really looking forward to when my kid is old enough that we can split up. :) Ah well. They're usually very nice (she likes Jacksepticeye and Markiplier although Mark didn't seem to like it when I was flipping him shit last year - not seriously, just a little teasing).

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    vespachica wrote: »
    I'll be dragged to all the YouTuber events. Really looking forward to when my kid is old enough that we can split up. :) Ah well. They're usually very nice (she likes Jacksepticeye and Markiplier although Mark didn't seem to like it when I was flipping him shit last year - not seriously, just a little teasing).
    You probably already know this, but the lines to get into the Jack & Mark signings fill up instantly. I want to say they were out of armbands at 8AM for a 3PM signing. Or something similar. They are easily the most brutal lines at PAX.

• Options
    PavioPavio Registered User regular

That's fair, though with the announcement of Fallout 76 already I can't imagine them having a huge separate space, but I would be happy if they did. Still, I'm interested to see what Valve is using that space for this year...

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    You probably already know this, but the lines to get into the Jack & Mark signings fill up instantly. I want to say they were out of armbands at 8AM for a 3PM signing. Or something similar. They are easily the most brutal lines at PAX.

Armbands??

Last year there were no armbands. But we did line up like 4-6 hours beforehand. SO. MUCH. FUN. (not really) Literally the only nice thing I have to say about the lines is that they're like any line at PAX: the people are nice. My daughter has actually made friends and they're planning on meeting up this year.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Armbands were done at this past East because of the...difficulties...in regards to having the autograph area be the same as the Expo queue area + people needing to line up outside just to get into the building in the first place + the really cold temperatures.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    wolfemancswolfemancs Registered User regular
    I think one of the west ones did a wrist band last year too.... one of them had an 8 hour line, and then instead the next day, they announced at like 8 AM that they were going to do wristbands starting at 9 or something, and a LOT of people got grumpy on twitter because they weren't going to even arrive until 10.

• Options
    KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    Last year I was able to view the schedule on the pax west app and set reminders for panels and stuff I wanted to view, but I don't see that as an option yet. Is that just not setup yet or am I being a dummy?

• Options
    MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    KopeAcetic wrote: »
    Last year I was able to view the schedule on the pax west app and set reminders for panels and stuff I wanted to view, but I don't see that as an option yet. Is that just not setup yet or am I being a dummy?

The app isn't fully updated yet. I don't know about Android, but the iOS version is still 2017.

• Options
    oldskoolboarderoldskoolboarder Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Sad. No Telltale play through on Sat nite nor It's Super Effective panel on Monday. Those were our go to's.

I do see the Sun afternoon Telltale but that just means it'll be even more crowded.

oldskoolboarder on
  • Options
    KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    Marino wrote: »
    KopeAcetic wrote: »

The app isn't fully updated yet. I don't know about Android, but the iOS version is still 2017.

Thanks!

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Just refreshed and saw that the Pax West app on android has updated with the full schedule.

My god I will be in panels all day Saturday :D

IncreaseBlue on
  • Options
    CKingCKing Registered User regular
    Really, I'm most excited for the kitten room. Hoping it'll be there again.

• Options
    InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    With the concerts remaining a mystery, I need to update my top cause to: Playing the Trogdor board game with new friends! The prototype has been dangled out for printing - https://homestarrunner.com/printandplay/

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • Options
    divisiontendivisionten Registered User regular
    CKing wrote: »
    The adjacent theater where it’s been held was bought out by PUBG this year so I don’t think that’s happening.

• Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    One of my favourite things to do in the weeks before PAX is to select what panels to go to knowing full well I'll probably only go to half of them. But hey, at least I intended to go.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    CKingCKing Registered User regular
    CKing wrote: »
    The adjacent theater where it’s been held was bought out by PUBG this year so I don’t think that’s happening.

I saw that. I'd love to hear that they just moved it, but I've seen nothing about it so far. I'm still remaining hopeful!