As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Succulent propagation woes

SteevLSteevL What can I do for you?Registered User regular
So my time in a rental house with a backyard full of succulents is coming to an end this month. A few months back, I decided to try my hand at propagating some of these plants. I've been relatively successful with some of them, but my favorite is this echeveria which has a really neat bloom around this time of year:
WJhqbTu.jpg

Unfortunately, my first attempt at propagating these plants failed. I took a few leaves at the beginning of April, but I realized they had broken off incorrectly and eventually they dried up. Back in late June/early July I made another attempt and took some leaves from the growing flower stems. Unfortunately, the ends of those three leaves have started drying up. They're in this picture in the middle-left:
XlDJRsh.jpg

Anyone know if the leaves starting to dry up like that means they definitely won't propagate? Perhaps I should just throw these three out and make room for a few more?

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    If they dry out like that they usually don't recover. I would make room for some new ones. The ones on the bottom are budding though.
    I got this step to work really well and then I messed it all up when I started planting the rootlets. I might have overwatered them during rootlet planting.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    If they dry out like that they usually don't recover. I would make room for some new ones. The ones on the bottom are budding though.
    I got this step to work really well and then I messed it all up when I started planting the rootlets. I might have overwatered them during rootlet planting.

Thanks.

Yeah, I've been pretty surprised at all the bottom ones getting roots and budding. I took them off a "cutting" made by a dog that was visiting before planting that cutting into a pot which has also appeared to have rooted. Also happy I'm getting some jade plants out of this so far. Hopefully I can get some viable plants out of these to remember this place by.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    jakbert wrote: »
    Make sure the leaves are intact all the way to the base when you pull them off or cut them from the stem.

Yep, that was my mistake with my first propagation attempts in April. These looked more promising at first.