As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

NCAA Basketball: Selection Sunday

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I kind of hope they reverse the 1 and done rule. Seems like it's being talked about. I think college hoops are more exciting when we have juniors and seniors playing in more games.

Sounds like the NBA is, and a 5* who was committed to Syracuse just said fuck it and is going to the G League instead. Should be headed in that direction.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I kind of hope they reverse the 1 and done rule. Seems like it's being talked about. I think college hoops are more exciting when we have juniors and seniors playing in more games.

How, exactly, would you "reverse" it? One and done exists purely because the NBA doesn't allow for declaration for the draft until the age of 19. Either the NBA drops the rule (and then elite talent decamps to the pros), or they extend the age limit to 21, which is a load of gooseshit for a few reasons (not to mention that the NBA has no reason to do so.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Really Villanova?

So it seems in 2011 Donte quoted some offensive lyrics from Meek Mill's song Derrick Rose as well as other offensive terms. He was asked about it and said he didn't do it and then brushed the question off. The tweet was then deleted and Villanova said his account was hacked which makes no sense as you can't hack the account and put on a post from 7 years ago. Villanova then walked that back and the account was deactivated.

Just admit it and apologize for being a stupid kid.

I really do not care.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

How, exactly, would you "reverse" it? One and done exists purely because the NBA doesn't allow for declaration for the draft until the age of 19. Either the NBA drops the rule (and then elite talent decamps to the pros), or they extend the age limit to 21, which is a load of gooseshit for a few reasons (not to mention that the NBA has no reason to do so.)

Same way they do in mlb. The cba could say you can come right out of hs, or you can wait 3 years in college and then come out.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Knight_ wrote: »

Same way they do in mlb. The cba could say you can come right out of hs, or you can wait 3 years in college and then come out.

Or hockey, where you're drafted the year after you turn 18 regardless and retain your eligibility.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    By reverse I mean roll back to before it existed. Lebron was only 18 when he was drafted.

Sounds like the NBA is, and a 5* who was committed to Syracuse just said fuck it and is going to the G League instead. Should be headed in that direction.

Yeah I heard about that. Sucks they mentioned he'd only get 28K a year, when Mudiay earned 1.2 million playing in China. We'll see how it works out for him, the one thing you do get in the NCAA is exposure.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    By reverse I mean roll back to before it existed. Lebron was only 18 when he was drafted.

Yeah I heard about that. Sucks they mentioned he'd only get 28K a year, when Mudiay earned 1.2 million playing in China. We'll see how it works out for him, the one thing you do get in the NCAA is exposure.

Mudiay dodged the scrutiny he would have gotten playing in the us in some fashion, probably made him a ton of extra money because he’s pretty much a bust. Hell, he was injury plagued that entire season and still went 7th. No way he goes that high if he was in the NCAA/g league.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Or they could make it more appealing for a player to stay in college like maybe paying them and allowing them to retain their eligibility if they go undrafted

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    Or they could make it more appealing for a player to stay in college like maybe paying them and allowing them to retain their eligibility if they go undrafted

But then the house of cards falls down, so that's a no.

I still believe the easiest solution is to treat scholarships like vouchers. Drop the full time student requirement to part time. This would help the student athletes focus on the core classes while they participate in their sport (see articles on juggling being a full time student, a part-time job, and practice hours at the same time). Keeping part time would help with complaints that removing all class work would give an unfair advantage to prestigious universities and allow the NCAA to keep using the term 'student athlete'.

The voucher would just be that. If a football player plays 3 years then leaves for the draft, but doesn't get drafted, they can come back and finish up the other 80 credit hours for free. If a basketball player plays 1 year then leaves for the draft, doesn't get drafted, spends 4 years playing in Europe, then wants to get their education, they can come back and take 32 credit hours for free. You get the high level jist, the longer you stay and play the more free credit hours you get on your voucher.

With a system like this in place, you get around how to pay players (since it's pretty complicated from a competition standpoint) and when the NCAA touts that athletes are getting paid in their education, they really will be.

Also if a system like that was in place, you could then make more compelling arguments for the one and done rule (or a 2 and done). If a high school kid doesn't get drafted, they'd have to pay their own way into college. But with 1 and done's, that one year of playing would be worth some free education.

Keeping part time would help with complaints that removing all class work would give an unfair advantage to prestigious universities and allow the NCAA to keep using the term 'student athlete'.

Given that the term was created as a cynical ploy by the colleges and the NCAA in order to evade workman's compensation, why would we want to let them keep using it?

The reality is that the NCAA is engaged in a longform exercise in justifying plunder. The fair answer is simple - let the players keep what they create valuewise. There is no other fair solution.

We need to reject the NCAA's corrupt framing that just so happens to give them and the schools all the power.

I'm a realist and if any change happens it's going to do so as a comprise with the powers that be.

The solution Patrick Hruby posted will never happen. Maybe this is the engineer or project manager in me, but posting a solution without a plan on how to get to said solution is no solution at all. What in the world does he propose is going to happen to the NCAA? That they will see how amazing that plan is and everyone will quit? Give me a break. You don't get massive changes in power structure without a higher power intervening or revolution. In this case, the Government could step in and mandate it, but that is very unlikely. Or all collage athlete's could go on strike? I don't see that happening either. Especially since his plan screws over the majority of college athletes.

The voucher system allows the power structure to continue to use the same rhetoric they've been using, they don't lose any power or very much money. At the same time they get a monkey off their back around treatment of players. Is it the best system? no, probably not. But you'd at least solve 3 major issues with the current system, 1) not enough time for their sport, school, and a job; 2) the ability to study the field they want and not the easiest; 3) the ability to devote themselves to their education if a pro career doesn't work out.

I'm a realist and if any change happens it's going to do so as a comprise with the powers that be.

The solution Patrick Hruby posted will never happen. Maybe this is the engineer or project manager in me, but posting a solution without a plan on how to get to said solution is no solution at all. What in the world does he propose is going to happen to the NCAA? That they will see how amazing that plan is and everyone will quit? Give me a break. You don't get massive changes in power structure without a higher power intervening or revolution. In this case, the Government could step in and mandate it, but that is very unlikely. Or all collage athlete's could go on strike? I don't see that happening either. Especially since his plan screws over the majority of college athletes.

The voucher system allows the power structure to continue to use the same rhetoric they've been using, they don't lose any power or very much money. At the same time they get a monkey off their back around treatment of players. Is it the best system? no, probably not. But you'd at least solve 3 major issues with the current system, 1) not enough time for their sport, school, and a job; 2) the ability to study the field they want and not the easiest; 3) the ability to devote themselves to their education if a pro career doesn't work out.

Of course, you're ignoring the major issue, which is that players are being cut off from the wealth their labor genetates,instead just giving all that money to the NCAA and the schools. So your "solution" doesn't actually solve anything, but it lets you feel better by rounding off some of the more abusive aspects of the system.

The problem is that the NCAA and the schools are taking the wealth that the players are creating and not returning any to them (and no, the scholarship doesn't count.) If you're not going to fix that part, then you're not actually fixing the problem.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    We have a thread about the NCAA being shitty. It's not this thread.

Mo Wagner gone from Michigan. Darn. Good for him though.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Mo Wagner gone from Michigan. Darn. Good for him though.

That sucks, butI dont blame him.

John Beilein flirted with the Pistons but has decided to come back. Rumor has it he's getting a new contract with basically a rolling extension. He gets to stay in Ann Arbor til he feels like retiring, sounds like. He's 65, so I would imagine that's reasonably soon.

Yay Beilein officially extended with a rollover contract that just keeps extending until he or the University don't want it to.

Beilein update thread update: had double bypass surgery last night. Yikes! Seems to be ok though.

NCAA basketball rules changes in the wake of the FBI investigation:

15 official visits (up from 5)
    Elite high school prospects as determined by USA Basketball and college players can be represented by agents (to be certified as legit by the NCAA), college players may hire them after any season. These relationships must be terminated during the school year (...why?)
    College players may submit for the draft and stay in the process through the draft. Undrafted players may opt to return to school. Currently they must withdraw at least 10 days prior to the draft.
    D1 schools must honor scholarships to men's and women's basketball players who left school and came back to the same institution.

I feel like coaches are gonna be pissed about the 'test the waters' change with the draft, but it's absolutely the right change and I doubt they'll whine because it'd be a terrible face to show recruits.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    That’s quite a list of changes

Bobble wrote: »
    I feel like coaches are gonna be pissed about the 'test the waters' change with the draft, but it's absolutely the right change and I doubt they'll whine because it'd be a terrible face to show recruits.

One and done is the reality today, so these changes aren't a big deal. The agent changes are unacceptable - remember, the NCAA's restrictions on agent representation are illegal (as in a court of law found them to be a restraint on the right to counsel.)

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Just in case you thought the NCAA did something correct for once, apparently they did not actually talk with USAB before releasing these changes, which means that USAB did not know they were going to be in charge of figuring out which players can be represented.

Edit: Relevant tweet

Mvrck on
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Just in case you thought the NCAA did something correct for once, apparently they did not actually talk with USAB before releasing these changes, which means that USAB did not know they were going to be in charge of figuring out which players can be represented.

Edit: Relevant tweet

Again, the NCAA should not be dictating anything about agents, because to do so is an illegal restraint to the right to counsel.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Y'all ready?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Not sure how much Basketball I'll watch with all the election coverage but will definitely be switching back and forth between them.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I'm happy to watch UNC vs Wofford if I can find it. The grudge match no one knew would ever be a grudge. I won't even be mad if Wofford wins again.

edited November 2018
    Michigan opens against some MEAC tomato can tonight. Gonna raise some banners, play real good defense, maybe score sometimes? This is basically a Bo Ryan roster with a couple NBA talented guys.

enlightenedbum on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I'm happy to watch UNC vs Wofford if I can find it. The grudge match no one knew would ever be a grudge. I won't even be mad if Wofford wins again.

ESPN2 at 7pm Eastern

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »

ESPN2 at 7pm Eastern

No TV/TV package so the deal for me is more finding the right bar, or friend with streaming details. Thanks though! Let's go heels! Or Terriers! Just anything to ignore ongoing election coverage! (I voted, I care deeply, I just don't want the stress till it's hopefully over tomorrow)

• SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    FUCK YES I'M AMPED

Dear god.

100 points with 7:30 left. 59 in both halves. Previous Duke freshman debut scoring record was Bagley last year with 25. Barrett had 33, Zion 28, Reddish 22.

Yeah this should be a fun season.

Last night is a perfect example of why the NBA needs to get rid of the, wait 1 year to be drafted rule. Zion should be playing for Suns right now. Instead, Duke is going to steamroll everyone.

Last night is a perfect example of why the NBA needs to get rid of the, wait 1 year to be drafted rule. Zion should be playing for Suns right now. Instead, Duke is going to steamroll everyone.

They'd have Barrett. For all the hype that Zion gets, he's not the best player on this team.

I'd like to note that I love John Beilein and Luke Yaklich.

Michigan is my favorite team that I have no connection to. Go Blue!

Silly rankings, small sample size, whatever. Sagarin's got Nebraska #1 thru yesterday and it amuses the hell out of me.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm

Bobble wrote: »
    Silly rankings, small sample size, whatever. Sagarin's got Nebraska #1 thru yesterday and it amuses the hell out of me.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm

Kenpom has them 27 with some pretty significant preseason expectations involved in the rankings.

This discussion has been closed.