Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Pre-PAX Boardgame night at the Sheraton

LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
edited August 3 in PAX West
This is a placeholder. This event is NOT confirmed yet; details will be coming after Aug 1.

Update: The event coordinator we usually work with is no longer at the Sheraton. We may need to start all over again with negotiating this event; I can't get hold of her yet and have been unable to determine what information about this event was passed on to the new staff.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Owner of and General Badass Chick at Seattle's best Distillery & Scandinavian Cafe Old Ballard Liquor Co.
LexiconGrrl on
GONG-00LackeyNfan10039IncreaseBlue

• every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    edited July 31
    This is a cool event - I hope it returns!!

Will there be any sort of matchmaking system if you are looking for (or open to) additional players joining your game and/or looking for a game to join yourself? I don't recall if there was a system in the past but it might be useful to have something, even if it's just a whiteboard/bulletin board or a google docs spreadsheet of time/game/table number/players needed/etc..

Also it's fun to learn to play new games - it would be cool to find out if anyone is interested in teaching a particular game (maybe your favorite game?) to new players, or maybe trying to play a new game you've never played before.

Also.... what do you think about possibly adding Switch (and/or other mobile/handheld) gaming to the mix for those who might be interested? :D

every day's great on
  • HalseySpartan2HalseySpartan2 Quality Assurance Engineer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I would be up for attending along with my girlfriend. We can bring a variety of games - Dominion, Cards Against Humanity/Muggles, Oregon Trail, etc

SHwjM12.png
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    @every day's great Not sure, but it sounds like you haven't been to the event before. I'd recommend checking out last year's thread for mo'betta information than in this thread's OP:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/212733/pre-pax-dont-call-me-a-peck-boardgame-night-in-ballroom-willow-official/p1

To answer your specific questions:
    There is always a matchmaking system
    Teaching people to play new games is always a thing at this event
    People are welcome to bring handheld games themselves but no e-game official setup is available.

Also, please note the update to the OP for this year's Special Challenge.

Owner of and General Badass Chick at Seattle's best Distillery & Scandinavian Cafe Old Ballard Liquor Co.
    zerzhul
  • anifirebirdanifirebird Registered User regular
    Oh this sounds really cool! I was hoping to find something to do for a couple hours after the Feast. I haven't played Dominion or Cataan in SO long and I know they are basic, but as someone who doesn't play much, I still really enjoy them. Also, Cards Against Muggles is something I really want to play. Frick the pax hype is real.

• rorshack6rorshack6 Registered User new member
    I'm super bummed out, I'll be at the Triwizard Tournament so I wouldn't be able to make it. Hopefully Skal Beer Hall will be up and running?

• ReakwindeReakwinde Registered User regular
    @LexiconGrrl is there anything i can do to help you get this set up?

• every day's greatevery day's great Registered User regular
    edited August 7
    @every day's great Not sure, but it sounds like you haven't been to the event before. I'd recommend checking out last year's thread for mo'betta information than in this thread's OP:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/212733/pre-pax-dont-call-me-a-peck-boardgame-night-in-ballroom-willow-official/p1

To answer your specific questions:
    There is always a matchmaking system
    Teaching people to play new games is always a thing at this event
    People are welcome to bring handheld games themselves but no e-game official setup is available.

Also, please note the update to the OP for this year's Special Challenge.

Thanks @LexiconGrrl for your reply!! I attended the pre-PAX gaming night in 2016 and I stopped by last year, but I still have a few questions. This is sounding pretty good though!!

1. Great! How will the onsite matchmaking system work? Is there going to be a bulletin board/whiteboard/google doc or ??? (I don't recommend using the PAX forum or twitter because things get buried and out of date quickly and can't be updated easily!) Last time I went there didn't seem to be a functional matchmaking system, but maybe it has improved?

2. Great! How can I find people who are teaching games and/or let people know I want to teach my favorite game? I might like to see something like a board with a list of "Learn to Play!" and a list of games and tables to go to, for example.

3. Great! I'd like to suggest that people who are interested in handheld/portable gaming use the matchmaking system and also put some sort of stand-up sign on their tables to show what game they're playing. It might be nice to have a board listing which games are being played at which tables.

and one new question for tabletop enthusiasts and organizers:

4. Will there be ongoing tabletop matchmaking organization somewhere throughout PAX? That would be nice! Last year I saw lots of empty free play rooms in the WSCC and stacks of games waiting to be checked out from the game libraries and played. The WSCC is open until midnight so we should really take advantage of it!!

Regarding the Special Challenge problem (no contact at the Sheraton) - I wish I could help!! Maybe someone who is local?? :confused:

every day's great on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Lexicongrrl is local.

Also for 4, I haven't seen anything particularly useful for matchmaking at west, since TT is so spread out.

P0fkRjI.png5OEMupX.png
  • AaronElWhiteAaronElWhite WARegistered User regular
    Thanks for all of your hard work like every year, Lexi. Crossing fingers that we can still do it!

• jag986jag986 Registered User regular
    Thanks for staying on this Lexicon. If it doesn't work out, I might cancel one of my hotel nights and save a little money, I was reserving Thursday to try this out.

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    @LexiconGrrl - let me know if there's anything that Team Portland can do to help.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

LexiconGrrl
  • KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    This was an incredible thing to experience last year, thank you for your work LexiconGrrl. If this is going to be a thing this year I'd love to spend as much time as I can playing games with fellow PAXers!

I hope @LexiconGrrl is successful at getting this all squared away with the Sheraton management. I would like to maybe get a discord channel set up -- maybe specifically use it for impromptu gatherings during PAX evenings for RPGs or Tabletops - I am pretty sure my friend @R23 will be bringing Kingdom Death: Monster and i am always down for D&D or Pathfinder as long as i do not need to GM. So if someone here wants to GM for Pax games let me know, and i can happily provide some players :) - Thoughts are welcome, and we can definitely use the same channel if the Sheraton does not want to officially sanction something. If interest is there I will edit post to include the Discord link etc.

IncreaseBlue
  • wolfemancswolfemancs Registered User regular
    a Discord channel that forum people could use when looking for player or looking for a game would be awesome. I usually go alone and sometimes run into friends, but it'd be cool to be wandering around in the evening, and want to play a game, pop open discord on my phone, pray to the service gods, and then find a game to go play with people.

Reakwinde
  • DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I hope things work out for this year. This event is always such fun and a great way to meet other forumers irl.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    "Pinky, you are a little bag of nuts."
    paxminibadges.png
  • disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Any update on the status of this event?

edited August 15

1. Great! How will the onsite matchmaking system work?

The matchmaking system is always at the info table. You have to stop by to sign up. That said, the problem is that there are always WAY more (like probably 500% more) people looking for games than available games open. People also don’t come back to mark off when a game is full, so any system is only useful for about 5 minutes before it becomes inaccurate. After seven or eight years coordinating this event, it’s become clear that there is no *really effective* matchmaking system at an event this big.
    3. Great! How can I find people who are teaching games and/or let people know I want to teach my favorite game? I might like to see something like a board with a list of "Learn to Play!" and a list of games and tables to go to, for example.

Stop by the info table.
    4. Great! I'd like to suggest that people who are interested in handheld/portable gaming use the matchmaking system and also put some sort of stand-up sign on their tables to show what game they're playing. It might be nice to have a board listing which games are being played at which tables.

People are always welcome to do this but don’t. There’s just not a lot of handheld presence at a board game event. Plus, most people just use the built in matchmaking on their devices. An analog system is redundant and probably won’t get used.
    4. Will there be ongoing tabletop matchmaking organization somewhere throughout PAX? That would be nice! Last year I saw lots of empty free play rooms in the WSCC and stacks of games waiting to be checked out from the game libraries and played. The WSCC is open until midnight so we should really take advantage of it!!

The folks who organize TT for PAX proper are probably not on this thread. There should be another thread on the forums for official TT. This suggestion should be posted there.

LexiconGrrl on
    IncreaseBlue
    Thanks for the check-ins, all. Still sorting out stuff with the new manager. No updates yet on the status of the event, sorry!!

IncreaseBlue
  • KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    Thanks for the check-ins, all. Still sorting out stuff with the new manager. No updates yet on the status of the event, sorry!!

Is there anything we (I) can do to assist?

Nope, it’s just politics. More hands won’t help, but thanks a lot for the offer!

edited August 15
    I had previously commented that I would set up a discord channel for the pre-pax Board Game night - I have done so - https://discord.gg/fwnjFTr - please be patient if there are issues with Discord. I will try and resolve them.

Reakwinde on
    LexiconGrrl