As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I used it on some Gunpla, it’s dosn’t really give a metallic finish, it more makes the colour you mix it with glittery. If that’s the effect your after, then great.

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    A different, worse colour
    I bashed together these guys together back when Shadow War came out, but unfortunately that sort of died on the vine. Killteam looks much more promising, so it was a good excuse to get these guys finished!
    They're a mix of Kromlech trench orks, regular ork bits, and a lot of greenstuff (the kromlech bits are nice, but man they don't fit together very well...)
    I just have the first Kommando finished, but I'm pretty happy with how he turned out!

ork_kommando01.jpg

ork_turn01.gif

And here's the rest of the team on the bench (and one basecoated). I wanted to go for a fun "saturday cartoon nazis" colour scheme, like something you'd see in G.I. Joe, Bionic Commando, or Metal Slug, rather than the more "historically accurate" schemes I usually see these guys in.
    ork_killteam_wip01.jpg

And a few grots (one of which will be the secret cowardly leader!)
    ork_grots_wip01.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Not sure what colors to paint the T'au Fire Warriors and Pathfinders now that I've given up on the Maliwan thing.

Also made some progress on the Stealth Battlesuit and started the other two.
    hyRelDh.jpg
    a7dFsRz.jpg
    5BkP8XA.jpg
    cTjeshY.jpg

What is the best way to practice painting minis? Just pick a few I'm not using and keep painting and cleaning them?

Also, what can I do for brush maintenance? Some of my fairly new brushes have strands poking out and I'm not sure what is causing it.

@Stragint Pick the minis you want to play with/think look cool. Paint them to the best of your current ability. Continue doing this with new minis.

In a year, you'll look back at the ones you painted now and marvel at your improvement. In two years you'll get a sudden urge to repaint or replace your "first mini".

But the trick is to keep painting. Don't practice on one mini until you're great. Pick one mini, paint it, then pick a new one etc.

This is what I plan on doing for now with KT. Just paint the ones I'm going to use when I feel like painting. I just don't get any enjoyment from painting because I want it to look really good and I know it wont turn out that way and if I practice I will get better but then I also don't want to come back and clean off models and redo them but buying new ones also feels like a weird thing to do just to paint them better.

I recently just cleaned off 60 something Necron Warriors, 15 Immortals, 2 Lords, 8 Destroyers, 1 Heavy Destroyer, shit ton of Scarabs, and a few other random things and it was just a frustrating thing to do. I am also cleaning off the 10 Immortals, 10 Warriors, and 4 Deathmarks that I primed and washed for KT because I really don't like how the prime looks on the models. I still have 30 something Warriors sitting in a bag that are fully painted that I should clean off to match the paint scheme I want to do but I know it is gonna be a long time before I go about painting that full army up so I'm not gonna bother. Also probably gonna leave all the broken Necron Warriors broken and use them for basing or give them to friends for basing.

I really just want to play the game but then I get spurts of wanting to paint cause I saw something cool and then getting frustrated.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Purple
    How difficult is Green Stuff generally to work with? I've never used it before but I'm planning on a bit of conversion stuff for my genestealer cult (and maybe to add tentacle faces on some already constructed genestealers)

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    It's pretty easy, and others probably have better experience, but I'll say this: it never cures as fast as I want it to. But I'm impatient.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Norgoth wrote: »
    I used it on some Gunpla, it’s dosn’t really give a metallic finish, it more makes the colour you mix it with glittery. If that’s the effect your after, then great.

Huh.... Well that doesn't sound good

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Not sure what colors to paint the T'au Fire Warriors and Pathfinders now that I've given up on the Maliwan thing.

Also made some progress on the Stealth Battlesuit and started the other two.
    hyRelDh.jpg
    a7dFsRz.jpg
    5BkP8XA.jpg
    cTjeshY.jpg

What is the best way to practice painting minis? Just pick a few I'm not using and keep painting and cleaning them?

Also, what can I do for brush maintenance? Some of my fairly new brushes have strands poking out and I'm not sure what is causing it.

@Stragint Pick the minis you want to play with/think look cool. Paint them to the best of your current ability. Continue doing this with new minis.

In a year, you'll look back at the ones you painted now and marvel at your improvement. In two years you'll get a sudden urge to repaint or replace your "first mini".

But the trick is to keep painting. Don't practice on one mini until you're great. Pick one mini, paint it, then pick a new one etc.

This is what I plan on doing for now with KT. Just paint the ones I'm going to use when I feel like painting. I just don't get any enjoyment from painting because I want it to look really good and I know it wont turn out that way and if I practice I will get better but then I also don't want to come back and clean off models and redo them but buying new ones also feels like a weird thing to do just to paint them better.

I recently just cleaned off 60 something Necron Warriors, 15 Immortals, 2 Lords, 8 Destroyers, 1 Heavy Destroyer, shit ton of Scarabs, and a few other random things and it was just a frustrating thing to do. I am also cleaning off the 10 Immortals, 10 Warriors, and 4 Deathmarks that I primed and washed for KT because I really don't like how the prime looks on the models. I still have 30 something Warriors sitting in a bag that are fully painted that I should clean off to match the paint scheme I want to do but I know it is gonna be a long time before I go about painting that full army up so I'm not gonna bother. Also probably gonna leave all the broken Necron Warriors broken and use them for basing or give them to friends for basing.

I really just want to play the game but then I get spurts of wanting to paint cause I saw something cool and then getting frustrated.

I never bother re-painting. I have so much unpainted stuff that time is better spent painting something new. The closest I've gotten is rebasing my orcs and chaos forces (both old and new bases were incredibly low-effort).

I didn't even bother re-painting when I switched the main color of my chaos marines from nagarroth to genestealer purple. (I have a GSP spray, but no nagarroth spray, so…)

And I'm perfectly satisfied as long as everything is painted in some flat color. (I do pick out details like eyes and tubing, but also flat.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    How difficult is Green Stuff generally to work with? I've never used it before but I'm planning on a bit of conversion stuff for my genestealer cult (and maybe to add tentacle faces on some already constructed genestealers)

It depends what you want to do. I can do simple stuff like tentacles, nurgle corruption or simple cloth. All that is easy. Anything else is beyond me.

Don't let that discourage you. But I recommend you start with something super simple. A large tentacle (to replace e.g., an arm) is an easy place to start.

My main problem with GS is that, no matter which brand I get, and no matter how much I mix it, it always becomes clumpy. Parts of the yellow simply will not mix with the blue.

Which is why I often use milliput instead. It's cheaper, mixes well even when old, cures faster than GS, and is easier to work with once cured than GS. But doesn't lend itself to quite the fine detail you can get with GS.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple

It depends what you want to do. I can do simple stuff like tentacles, nurgle corruption or simple cloth. All that is easy. Anything else is beyond me.

Don't let that discourage you. But I recommend you start with something super simple. A large tentacle (to replace e.g., an arm) is an easy place to start.

My main problem with GS is that, no matter which brand I get, and no matter how much I mix it, it always becomes clumpy. Parts of the yellow simply will not mix with the blue.

Which is why I often use milliput instead. It's cheaper, mixes well even when old, cures faster than GS, and is easier to work with once cured than GS. But doesn't lend itself to quite the fine detail you can get with GS.

The two things I plan on doing with it are A. Putting little forehead ridges on people's heads for my genestealer cult and B. adding mouth tentacles to faces for the hybrids and already made genestealers.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Wrong thread

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    What is a good way to get a bloody effect on models? My brother wants to add some blood to his poxwalkers. I have the red technical paint but I don't know how to use it effectively for this.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    What is a good way to get a bloody effect on models? My brother wants to add some blood to his poxwalkers. I have the red technical paint but I don't know how to use it effectively for this.

The robot has your answer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLEuqHcOpJw

• Options
    Does the effect still work if it isn't done on a surface with metallic paint?

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Of course!

• Options
    Purple
    Is it official GW policy to choose the goofiest-looking still they could possibly find for the preview image?

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I think Duncan just... looks kinda goofy overall?

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Excuse u Duncan is a golden Adonis

• Options
    Purple
    That's just how he looks when they switch him off for the night.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    That's just how he looks when they switch him off for the night.

Please, as if they actually switch him off…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Purple
    Okay, so this isn't anywhere near done, and it's not likely to be done for a while (it's one of my umpteen side projects), but I'm too excited with how this came out to not share. And I know the thread would appreciate this.

I wanted to airbrush metallic purple. Testors fucking comes through. This color is so fucking delicious.

XPqMyjLl.jpg

Like, it's exactly the color I want, with just enough metallic flake to make it shiny, and it flowed through the airbrush just perfectly. It was so easy to work with.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Executioners!

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    @Nips What are those, and what are they from?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Needs some yellow and you have Insecticons!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Wow, I didn't know Starseige had minis?

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Purple
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    @Nips What are those, and what are they from?
    McGibs wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't know Starseige had minis?

There was a mid-nineties tabletop wargame called Rebellion, based on the Starsiege property. These are Cybrid Executioners. I've recently fallen into a mania, and collected a sizable collection of the entire line; I have a deep and abiding love of the property. These were the most exciting to me to start with.

Also, they're like four times bigger than what I'm used to painting.

Nips on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Starsiege, Tribes, et al is one of those things (like Heavy Gear), that would've been right in my wheelhouse, but somehow I missed out on it. I know Jerry/Tycho is a big fan as well. I should really get around to reading up on it at some point.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Purple
    Heavy gear

Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time

So much love for that game

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Heavy gear

Heavy Gear is what got me into tabletop gaming, even though I never got to actually play it.

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I've been itching to get into Heavy Gear for a few years since coming upon some /tg/ thread or another.

If I ever land a steady job, a HG Blitz starter set is one of the first things I'm saving up for.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    That is a very nice purple!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Another Ork down! Kombi-Scorcha Nob
    ork_nob01.jpg
    ork_nob01_turn.gif

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    When doing a zandri dust spray and then a soft tone wash, what shade would you highlight/drybrush with for a really simple and easy way of doing a soft tan? I'm trying to put together a quick scheme and I'm not sure what I'd use... Thinking kazak stone though

Solar on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Heavy gear

Heavy Gear actually has plastic miniatures now!

I was getting excited for Adeptus Titanicus, and the rules look good, but GW has released it at a price point and scale that is personally pretty unsatisfying to me.

So now I'm looking into other miniatures I can use to proxy the game instead. Heavy Gear is one I am considering just because I love heavy gear, even if the size difference between the miniatures isn't right for Adeptus Titanicus.

• Options
    Purple
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Heavy gear

I was getting excited for Adeptus Titanicus, and the rules look good, but GW has released it at a price point and scale that is personally pretty unsatisfying to me.

So now I'm looking into other miniatures I can use to proxy the game instead. Heavy Gear is one I am considering just because I love heavy gear, even if the size difference between the miniatures isn't right for Adeptus Titanicus.

Yeah, a friend was pretty excited for Titanicus, and I was interested, but at that price point it's a hard pass.

Personally I'd proxy in knights and something terminator equivalent in size... at least then they can still be used for 40k/killteam.

Those HG minis are cool looking though...

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Heavy gear

Yeah, a friend was pretty excited for Titanicus, and I was interested, but at that price point it's a hard pass.

Personally I'd proxy in knights and something terminator equivalent in size... at least then they can still be used for 40k/killteam.

Those HG minis are cool looking though...

Doing some research, all this comes in a box for $55:

PaintedCEFArmyPreviewWeb.jpg

The internal scale isn't as extreme as AT normally is but that's 6x Titans (2 of each size), and 6 knights and one mech left over and two tanks for half the cost of one actual AT Titan.

It would look a might bit silly plonking down one of those mechs in the middle of a 120mm base for the sake of the rules, however. Hm.

Seriously considering it though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Purple
    I mean...

...Horus era titans had a different look... :lol:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Here's my very first painted mini's in around 15 years. A squad of Cadian Shock troopers and a Armored Sentinel. Sorry for the crappy pictures, haven't found a good way to take them yet. Still have to do the bases, but I've never done bases before so that'll take some study.

23r7acy.jpg

1695jkw.jpg

• Options
    Purple
    @Lord_Asmodeus On green stuff. If you're doing GS you need some tools. The ones I use look a little like dentist's tools. Something like this:
    s-l300.jpg
    There are also rubber/silicone tools, but I've found them only useful when doing very large stuff or GS-ing smooth cloth.

Facial tentacles should be OK with a bit of practice. Problem is they're really small, but good news is tentacles are generally easy. Try, and don't be afraid if you have to make multiple attempts (that's why GW gives us an excess of heads :) )

Here are two examples of my range. Both were technically made with milliput rather than GS, but principle's the same. Sorry for shit cell phone photos, I couldn't find the cable for my DSLR.

The first is a Calth cataphractii terminator I'm using as a chaos termi (not finished painting him yet, obv). I wanted them to have combi-plasma and power axe, and a tentacle stands in for the power axe (and tomorrow might be a power fist, if needs be). (I also did a weapon swap with a weapon from Kromlech.) This represents my normal level of green stuff use. Make something simple, slap it on, call it good. The tentacle is pinned to the model.

0y3g1vkt3q82.jpg

The second is my best painted mini to date, and probably my best GS work. This is a modified version of a spider demon from the creaturecaster kickstarter (great mini, shit KS). I gave the demon a belly (she's supposed to be pregnant) and a dress. Just because I'm using her as a keeper of secrets doesn't mean she has to be nekkid :) This "mini" (15 cm/6" tall) required a lot of post-sculpting work (i.e., sanding) to get the dress smooth and get the contours right. Here everything is fixed directly to the model. To save on milliput/reduce weight, her belly is sculpted around a small ball of wadded-up tin foil.

xsi1jqxuvk37.jpg

Original in spoiler for comparison. NSFW due to bare breasts.
    spi5_6ece308e-4179-45b1-bd90-3d42a720f23b_1100x.jpg?v=1529233337

• Options
    Purple
    @Lord_Asmodeus On green stuff. If you're doing GS you need some tools. The ones I use look a little like dentist's tools. Something like this:
    s-l300.jpg
    There are also rubber/silicone tools, but I've found them only useful when doing very large stuff or GS-ing smooth cloth.

Facial tentacles should be OK with a bit of practice. Problem is they're really small, but good news is tentacles are generally easy. Try, and don't be afraid if you have to make multiple attempts (that's why GW gives us an excess of heads :) )

Here are two examples of my range. Both were technically made with milliput rather than GS, but principle's the same. Sorry for shit cell phone photos, I couldn't find the cable for my DSLR.

The first is a Calth cataphractii terminator I'm using as a chaos termi (not finished painting him yet, obv). I wanted them to have combi-plasma and power axe, and a tentacle stands in for the power axe (and tomorrow might be a power fist, if needs be). (I also did a weapon swap with a weapon from Kromlech.) This represents my normal level of green stuff use. Make something simple, slap it on, call it good. The tentacle is pinned to the model.

0y3g1vkt3q82.jpg

The second is my best painted mini to date, and probably my best GS work. This is a modified version of a spider demon from the creaturecaster kickstarter (great mini, shit KS). I gave the demon a belly (she's supposed to be pregnant) and a dress. Just because I'm using her as a keeper of secrets doesn't mean she has to be nekkid :) This "mini" (15 cm/6" tall) required a lot of post-sculpting work (i.e., sanding) to get the dress smooth and get the contours right. Here everything is fixed directly to the model. To save on milliput/reduce weight, her belly is sculpted around a small ball of wadded-up tin foil.

xsi1jqxuvk37.jpg

Original in spoiler for comparison. NSFW due to bare breasts.
    spi5_6ece308e-4179-45b1-bd90-3d42a720f23b_1100x.jpg?v=1529233337

Oh man, I completely forgot to order any sculpting tools! I've watched a couple of tutorials for it, do you usually do all the shaping of the greenstuff before you apply it to the model, or do you get it into the general shape, plop it on, and then shape? I've seen people suggest both as viable ways of doing green stuff.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    That’s because both are. Some things like cloth work best of rolled out separately then applied sof and allowed to ‘flow’ naturally while simple joint filling really just needs the stuff squishing into place the smoothed or gestured to match the surroundings once in place.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
This discussion has been closed.