As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    In case anyone was wondering, gone 1-2 so far today. Losses against Lion and Scorpion rounds 1 and 2, win against Phoenix round 3.

I may have had Yoritomo and 10+ fate on the board at one time.

Nice.

Last night in a friendly game (that wasn't paced that aggressively) I had 13 fate and Yoritomo out. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Holy shit I’m alive, won my round 4 game against Dragon by dragging them into a Before the Throne with Talisman and dishonored them out. So 22 points.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Holy shit I’m alive, won my round 4 game against Dragon by dragging them into a Before the Throne with Talisman and dishonored them out. So 22 points.

KICKASS!

... what clan are you playing?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited August 2018
    Unicorn, ‘Natch.
    Golden Plains Outpost
    Keeper of Void

Before the Throne - Air
    Entrenched Position - Earth
    Meditations on the Tao - Fire
    Tears of Amaterasu - Void
    Elemental Fury - Water

Influence: 13/13
    Dynasty Deck (40)
    Character (32)
    2x Battle Maiden Recruit
    3x Giver of Gifts
    2x Ide Trader
    3x Kudaka
    3x Master of the Swift Waves
    2x Miya Mystic
    3x Moto Juro
    3x Moto Nergüi
    2x Shinjo Altansarnai
    2x Shinjo Scout
    3x Shinjo Shono
    2x Sneaky Shinjo
    2x Yoritomo
    Holding (8)
    2x Favorable Ground
    3x Shiotome Encampment
    3x Windswept Yurt

Conflict Deck (40)
    Event (22)
    3x Banzai!
    2x Captive Audience
    1x Cavalry Reserves
    3x Charge!
    2x Court Games
    2x Dispatch
    1x Fallen in Battle
    3x Gaijin Customs
    2x I Am Ready
    2x Levy ///// /
    1x Way of the Unicorn
    Attachment (14)
    2x Cloud the Mind
    2x Favored Mount
    1x Finger of Jade
    2x Invocation of Ash
    3x Reprieve ///
    3x Spyglass
    1x Talisman of the Sun
    Character (4)
    2x Hiruma Skirmisher ////
    2x Iuchi Wayfinder

Altansarnai actually got massive value from her reaction, killed a dragon with two fate and two attachments.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    I could HUG you right now. Do you want your Way of the Unicorn back?!

:D

Seriously. I'm enjoying the Uni/Phoenix deck I'm running, but knowing there's a Uni kicking ass is awesome.

Well, at least until round 5 where I faceplanted hard against Phoenix.

Man, Cloud the Mind sucks to be on the receiving end of.

I thought I saw a Unicorn deck doing vastly better than I did.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Well, at least until round 5 where I faceplanted hard against Phoenix.

Man, Cloud the Mind sucks to be on the receiving end of.

I thought I saw a Unicorn deck doing vastly better than I did.

That's part of why I play so many shugenja. Cloud the Mind just... Ooh, the rage in people's eyes. Sadly, I don't know the card pool terribly well, so I am constantly asking what everyone's chars do.

edited August 2018
    The Unicorn FB group is blowing up. He's gone 5-1 and is at one of the top tables. His shirt says Steve Holt.

Edit: @PMAvers it is cool seeing your name on the pairings sheet!

Athenor on
    edited August 2018
    Oh my god why am I dumb and only running one Talisman?

If I drew a second it would’ve won me the last game against Crab, since they were sitting at 2 and Throne was still unbroken.

EDIT: I was just thinking about it, and if Honor points were 1:1 for Most Honorable at the end of games, I think I got at least four or five of Uni’s 17 for 1b.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Oh my god why am I dumb and only running one Talisman?

If I drew a second it would’ve won me the last game against Crab, since they were sitting at 2 and Throne was still unbroken.

EDIT: I was just thinking about it, and if Honor points were 1:1 for Most Honorable at the end of games, I think I got at least four or five of Uni’s 17 for 1b.

Yeah. As much as I am enjoying support of the phoenix, I'm missing my talismans. I think it is time to... Rebuild.

No dirty crab though.

Final 4!!!

Dragon vs Lion
    Phoenix vs. Crane

• A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Played Crane win by honor to 2-2 at the Gencon Kotei. Dropped at 2 losses because a) I was hungry, b) I was tilted at how bad a player I am. Deck was super fun, Got 2 honor wins and was at 24 honor on my last loss. Only one player played into Way of the Chrysanthemum, that game ended on the first combat of turn 2.

Overall the deck played like a worse version of Crane, and while fun I really don't recommend if you want to win. Often when winning anyway I felt like I would be winning with a more conventional deck, and when losing I felt I could have a chance with less dead cards in hand.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    My core sets finally came in. Really can't wait to get some initial decks built and experiment in some games with my roommate.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    my wife and i are doing what we usually do post gencon: pretend that we actually have the time to try a shitton of new games. she expressed some interest in l5r but we didn't get the chance to demo it since we were playing in other card game tournaments. anyway point is we are always competitively minded and have come to the conclusion that while we'll accept the lack of a local scene (anywhere near us if it isn't magic we would be 50+% of any given event), we ultimately need to have some sort of tournament to obsess over and prepare for. even if it requires a small amount of travel.

is this a reasonable expectation for l5r? is there even a store locator for ffg? i guess my ultimate question is if there isn't a vibrant local scene am i looking at major conventions as the only other opportunities to play?

WingedWeasel on
    edited August 2018
    my wife and i are doing what we usually do post gencon: pretend that we actually have the time to try a shitton of new games. she expressed some interest in l5r but we didn't get the chance to demo it since we were playing in other card game tournaments. anyway point is we are always competitively minded and have come to the conclusion that while we'll accept the lack of a local scene (anywhere near us if it isn't magic we would be 50+% of any given event), we ultimately need to have some sort of tournament to obsess over and prepare for. even if it requires a small amount of travel.

is this a reasonable expectation for l5r? is there even a store locator for ffg? i guess my ultimate question is if there isn't a vibrant local scene am i looking at major conventions as the only other opportunities to play?

Depends where you live. I have to drive an hour so to get to samller tournamnets. (10-12 players), but if I'm willing to there are plenty in the area (Mass). So I mostly end up going to the tournaments if I can plan something else to do around the area to justify the travel time.

For organizing there is a northeast L5R facebook page and discord, I'd check if other regions have similar.

One warning is that L5R is a really slow game, and tournament rounds often go to time. You need to find good tournament organizers who can keep the tournament going or you'll be there all day to play a few rounds.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular

One warning is that L5R is a really slow game, and tournament rounds often go to time. You need to find good trounament organizers who can keep the trounament going or you'll be there all day to play a few rounds.

that's actually really good to know for us

One warning is that L5R is a really slow game, and tournament rounds often go to time. You need to find good trounament organizers who can keep the trounament going or you'll be there all day to play a few rounds.

that's actually really good to know for us

When learning the game, they can easily take 2 hours.

For people who know the game well, I'd say closer to 1.

In a tournament scene, you can get 30-40 mins if people aren't slow playing intentionally or if you aren't seeing two walls go at each other.

My local scene, I've been favoring league play with no time limits to get people into the game, but the pressure of a tournament is going to hit them like a mack truck when I finally run one, especially as the people from nearby towns will be showing up.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    In theory they have said they are looking at not doing Koteis at conventions next season. There are also the new regional events.

I think your best bet for finding local options is trying to find a regional Facebook group.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited August 2018
    Wow, that's some fast turn-around from OP. I wasn't expecting the roles announcement for another week or two.

Yeah, Elemental Challenges seem to be the new thing for conventions, which are supposed to be like three rounds of Swiss. Which might work out for the best, since it means you're not devoting a entire day of a convention to just one game, and could pull in more people.

I was actually surprised how few games at GenCon went to time, even after not playing for a while. I don't think I ever had to go to the tiebreaker? Might just be a side-effect of the new card pool.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited August 2018
    I was actually surprised how few games at GenCon went to time, even after not playing for a while. I don't think I ever had to go to the tiebreaker? Might just be a side-effect of the new card pool.

And yet it took about 6 hour for the 4 rounds to cut to challenger on Friday. No I’m not bitter.... :P

3 rounds for convention play I can agree with. Using up a whole convention day on a single tournament isn’t my favorite use of time. This last Kotei was my first GenCon and part of the reason I dropped even after making the cut was that I wanted to spend those 4-5 hours enjoying something else in the con.

A Half Eaten Oreo on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular

Whew boy. That is some fiction. Several places my eyes literally bulged at what some of these consequences could be.

Yeah.. Uh...

Holy shit.

• CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Explain to me as someone who has no idea about the lore.

edited August 2018
    Does anyone actually think the Emperor is going to make it court tomorrow alive?

And he hasn't told anyone else but Toturi his plans? And his plans were written not in his own writing, but Toturi's?

Hoo boy, we're going into a good old-fashioned SUCCESSION FIGHT.

It's kind of funny, the idea of leading into the Scorpion Clan Coup just got end-routed by them just being handed regency to Shoju instead.

So we've got Sotorii, who's a bit of a shit, and won't take this proclamation well. (And many will remember what a shit anyone would bear the name of the Steel Chrysanthemum was in the old lore. Spoilers: A big one.) And there'll be people who'll back him. I could see the Crane going that way, since they don't want to "believe" the edict and give the Scorpion more power, even if it's true. Plus the Lion and Scorpion getting together? Nightmare fuel. The Phoenix would probably lean this way, because TRADITION, and hey if we follow tradition maybe the Heavens will be less mad please?

And then there'll be those who back Daisetsu, since they believe what Toturi wrote. Or have ever interacted with Sotorii, and realize he's a shit. I could see the Crab leaning this way, since they might think Shoju would be more receptive to asking for aid and jade than That Dickhead Yoshi was. I could also see the Unicorn eventually leaning this way, since he seems to be more open-minded about things than his brother. Plus, hey, bonus opportunities for Empress Shahai nudge nudge wink wink. The Lion would probably lean this way, since HOLY SHIT ARE YOU CALLING TOTURI A LIAR? WAAAAAAAAAAAR!

And then who the fuck knows what the Dragon are up to. And I can't imagine any sort of mercenary group trying to take advantage of the chaos for their own gain... *coughs*

And then you have the Perfect "Totally Not a Kolat Front, Seriously You Guys" Land Sect, who'll look at all this and be all "lol this Celestial Order thing is still for chucklefucks."

*takes a gas can, tosses it on the bonfire, runs away*

I actually wonder if this is going to be what the next Kotei series is going to resolve, voting for one side or the other.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Does anyone actually think the Emperor is going to make it court tomorrow alive?

And he hasn't told anyone else but Toturi his plans? And his plans were written not in his own writing, but Toturi's?

Hoo boy, we're going into a good old-fashioned SUCCESSION FIGHT.

It's kind of funny, the idea of leading into the Scorpion Clan Coup just got end-routed by them just being handed regency to Shoju instead.

So we've got Sotorii, who's a bit of a shit, and won't take this proclamation well. (And many will remember what a shit anyone would bear the name of the Steel Chrysanthemum was in the old lore. Spoilers: A big one.) And there'll be people who'll back him. I could see the Crane going that way, since they don't want to "believe" the edict and give the Scorpion more power, even if it's true. Plus the Lion and Scorpion getting together? Nightmare fuel. The Phoenix would probably lean this way, because TRADITION, and hey if we follow tradition maybe the Heavens will be less mad please?

And then there'll be those who back Daisetsu, since they believe what Toturi wrote. Or have ever interacted with Sotorii, and realize he's a shit. I could see the Crab leaning this way, since they might think Shoju would be more receptive to asking for aid and jade than That Dickhead Yoshi was. I could also see the Unicorn eventually leaning this way, since he seems to be more open-minded about things than his brother. Plus, hey, bonus opportunities for Empress Shahai nudge nudge wink wink. The Lion would probably lean this way, since HOLY SHIT ARE YOU CALLING TOTURI A LIAR? WAAAAAAAAAAAR!

And then who the fuck knows what the Dragon are up to. And I can't imagine any sort of mercenary group trying to take advantage of the chaos for their own gain... *coughs*

And then you have the Perfect "Totally Not a Kolat Front, Seriously You Guys" Land Sect, who'll look at all this and be all "lol this Celestial Order thing is still for chucklefucks."

*takes a gas can, tosses it on the bonfire, runs away*

I actually wonder if this is going to be what the next Kotei series is going to resolve, voting for one side or the other.
    In addition, in the old lore, Daisetsu was actually corrupted by Fu Leng and Jigoku and became Daigotsu, one of the Empire's longest-lived and worst villains. Iuchi Shahai, his lover, was also corrupted and became one of the foremost practitioners of maho, or blood sorcery. The fact that in this timeline he's being handed the throne over his older brother is a bit mind-boggling, but who knows if he'll be the corrupted one?

The fault lines are definitely being drawn and we're seeing a lot more of Clan War than Scorpion Clan Coup, especially with Shoju being handed the Regency. I can definitely see Lion/Scorpion on one side (uneasy allies at best though), and Crane/Unicorn on the other (Uni desperately needs friends in court and they're both fighting Lion right now). Phoenix may well side with the Lion in this case due to Kaede's marriage to Toturi and their dislike of Unicorn magic, but the argument for appeasing the divine order might lean them the other way, or at least neutral. Crab will side with whichever group can give them jade, and likely won't be on the side of Crane, but given the threads of corruption leaning through the clan currently I could see them supporting the "tainted" Sotorii (unless Daisetsu does become evil!Daigotsu after all). Who TF knows what the Dragon will do, but I'm sure Togashi will lead them down the correct path for the new 2nd Day of Thunder.

• KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Well, my first game went well, felt like I was actually playing the game and my clan (Crab) the way it was meant to be played, snuck out a dishonor concession by freezing my opponent out of his big hand with Watch Commanders, not allowing him to play shit without killing himself.

Got set up for Jigoku and played last night, got just horrendously fucked by Phoenix. Totally snowballed from turn 1, don't think I won a single conflict. Absolutely disastrous.

Hopefully I end up somewhere in the middle with this. Just seems to be so many things to account for, and even if I did fully expect everything based on what my opponent was doing, I'm not sure I'd even have the tools to deal with it.

Going to try a few other clans tonight but still pretty unmoved as a prospective Crab player.

edited August 2018

EDIT: Weird, the embed doesn't want to work? There was a new article up about the Scorpion pack.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited August 2018
    Good Christ, of all clans, my roommate had to pick Scorpion.
    Finished a 3-4 hour game tonight, my Crab/Unicorn vs. his Scorpion/Dragon. Felt like we were both on fumes for the last 5 or 6 rounds, trading back and forth at 1-2 honor each. Game went about 11-12+ rounds, I had the same Steadfast Witch Hunter in play from literally round 1 until the end of the goddamned game. Thankfully, the Spyglass she had on her was there almost as long so I could survive his low-ass bids and eventually retake card advantage. I could go play by play for an hour explaining all the shit it took to grind each other down, but I eventually won out. Game was absolutely fucking outrageous. Possibly the closest and most intense competitive anything I've ever played, it was ridiculous.
    For a little while I was worried if I was selling myself on this game to justify the investment, but that match was incredible, holy shit.

Kasyn on
    Shosuro Takao in that Scoprion Pack looks outrageously broken. I am stunned that he is a 2 cost with those stats and an ability that strong, with a condition that negligible for Scorpion to achieve.

Alibi Artist looks fucking silly too, but it speaks to the strength of the Scorpion dynasty deck that he might not always find a spot.

...oh, crap, I thought I wasn't going to be able to make it to a local event tomorrow due to forced overtime at the new job, but the overtime got cancelled at the last minute.

And now I need to actually build a new deck.

persona4celestia.jpg
    ...oh, crap, I thought I wasn't going to be able to make it to a local event tomorrow due to forced overtime at the new job, but the overtime got cancelled at the last minute.

And now I need to actually build a new deck.

I need to learn how aggressive to be with mine. HMT is stupid bonkers, but I don't know when to go for the throat yet or to overextend myself. I also have no attachment control, so... yeah. I love Phoenix, but maybe I go cookie cutter Crab or Dragon.

This is what I ended up slapping together.

Hisu Mori Toride
    Keeper of Fire
    Before the Throne Air
    Entrenched Position Earth
    Feast or Famine Fire
    Tears of Amaterasu Void
    Elemental Fury Water

Dynasty Deck (40)
    Character (32)
    3x Battle Maiden Recruit
    3x Border Rider
    2x Iuchi Shahai
    2x Keeper Initiate
    2x Kudaka
    3x Meishōdō Wielder
    3x Minami Kaze Regulars
    3x Moto Nergüi
    2x Shinjo Scout
    3x Shinjo Shono
    3x Yoritomo
    Holding (8)
    2x Favorable Ground
    3x Shiotome Encampment
    3x Windswept Yurt

Conflict Deck (40)
    Event (22)
    3x Banzai!
    2x Captive Audience
    2x Cavalry Reserves
    3x Charge!
    2x Court Games
    2x Dispatch
    3x Gaijin Customs
    1x I Am Ready
    2x Rebuild ////
    2x Unleash the Djinn
    Attachment (18)
    2x Favored Mount
    3x Force of the River
    2x Invocation of Ash
    3x Reprieve ///
    3x Spyglass
    3x Talisman of the Sun
    2x Watch Commander ///// /

(And no, I'm not going to run Spreading the Darkness on principle. Maho's for terrible people.)

persona4celestia.jpg
    This is what I ended up slapping together.

Hisu Mori Toride
    Keeper of Fire
    Before the Throne Air
    Entrenched Position Earth
    Feast or Famine Fire
    Tears of Amaterasu Void
    Elemental Fury Water

Dynasty Deck (40)
    Character (32)
    3x Battle Maiden Recruit
    3x Border Rider
    2x Iuchi Shahai
    2x Keeper Initiate
    2x Kudaka
    3x Meishōdō Wielder
    3x Minami Kaze Regulars
    3x Moto Nergüi
    2x Shinjo Scout
    3x Shinjo Shono
    3x Yoritomo
    Holding (8)
    2x Favorable Ground
    3x Shiotome Encampment
    3x Windswept Yurt

Conflict Deck (40)
    Event (22)
    3x Banzai!
    2x Captive Audience
    2x Cavalry Reserves
    3x Charge!
    2x Court Games
    2x Dispatch
    3x Gaijin Customs
    1x I Am Ready
    2x Rebuild ////
    2x Unleash the Djinn
    Attachment (18)
    2x Favored Mount
    3x Force of the River
    2x Invocation of Ash
    3x Reprieve ///
    3x Spyglass
    3x Talisman of the Sun
    2x Watch Commander ///// /

(And no, I'm not going to run Spreading the Darkness on principle. Maho's for terrible people.)

I played this yesterday:
    Hisu Mori Toride (Elements Unbound)
    Keeper of Fire
    Feast or Famine (Into the Forbidden City)
    Manicured Garden (Core)
    Public Forum (Into the Forbidden City)
    Rally to the Cause (Core)
    Shameful Display (Core)

Dynasty Deck (40)
    Character (31)
    3 Moto Youth (Core)
    3 Sneaky Shinjo (Tainted Lands)
    3 Border Rider (Core)
    3 Keeper Initiate (Core)
    3 Giver of Gifts (Core)
    3 Master of the Swift Waves (The Ebb and Flow)
    3 Moto Nergüi (Disciples of the Void)
    3 Iuchi Shahai (All and Nothing)
    3 Shinjo Shono (Breath of the Kami)
    3 Minami Kaze Regulars (Elements Unbound)
    1 Moto Juro (Fate Has No Secrets)

Holding (9)
    3 Favorable Ground (Core)
    3 Shiotome Encampment (Breath of the Kami)
    3 Windswept Yurt (Tears of Amaterasu)

Conflict Deck (40)
    Attachment (20)
    1 Fine Katana (Core)
    1 Ornate Fan (Core)
    3 Cloud the Mind (Core)
    3 Force of the River (The Ebb and Flow)
    3 Invocation of Ash (The Fires Within)
    3 Reprieve (Core)
    3 Spyglass (Core)
    3 Talisman of the Sun (Meditations on the Ephemeral)

Character (5)
    2 Hiruma Skirmisher (Into the Forbidden City)
    3 Iuchi Wayfinder (Core)

Event (15)
    1 Assassination (Core)
    1 Banzai! (Core)
    1 Censure (Into the Forbidden City)
    3 Rebuild (Core)
    2 Unleash the Djinn (Elements Unbound)
    3 Charge! (Core)
    2 Dispatch (All and Nothing)
    2 Cavalry Reserves (Core)

It worked pretty good. Most decks couldn't handle just how much aggression it can put out. You do need to watch your honor though, I did lose once to a dynasty phase Noble Sac.

I do want to find room for like 2 Captive Audience though.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    Ended up going something like 1-2, but they were all good games.

Almost honor ran! I was sitting at 23 at one point, hoping that I'd flip a Yurt or draw a Rebuild.

persona4celestia.jpg
    OP Season 3 is Scorpion.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/20/scorpions-win-the-imperial-favor/

g1853-imperial-favor-military.pngg1853-imperial-favor-political.png

g1853_stronghold_layout.png

The special event will be focused on the new roles, and the prizes will be wood-cut role markers.

g1853_stronghold_layout2.png

The Crane full art will rarely be used but all the others will be nice to have. The full art Let Go in particular.

When does this come out? Because most stores here are running like the first tournament of Season 2 currently.

No clue. The Netrunner set said it would lead into the Magnum Opus, but that's like in 2 weeks.