Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Penny Arcade - Comic - Power Word Thrill

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 10 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Power Word Thrill

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on
FiendishrabbitAndy JoeSkull2185NightslyrBobbleZilla360Leon2309QuidTofystedethH3KnucklesSorcePLA

• Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Can the comic just be about dSports from now on, exclusively? I have discovered in my soul a mighty thirst, and this is the only drink that can quench it.

FiendishrabbitBobbleMenasorRiusQuidEspantaPajaro
  • SchadrachSchadrach Registered User regular
    I mean, there's already a 3rd party rulebook for Pathfinder meant for doing arena PvP, with some effort you might be able to make it interesting enough to watch...

http://www.conflictgames.com

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    I hope this story arc never ends.

Cambiata
  • rcattrcatt Registered User regular
    For those whose dSports desire trends a little more towards "Sports Entertainment" I would recommend the Dungeon Dome youtube/podcast series created by the One Shot network. It's an actual-play D&D series with more than a dash of Rasslin' flamboyance thrown in.

• v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    In what will likely be an unpopular opinion, I think this joke has already started to age poorly. I didn't think the first instance was more than chuckle-worthy, and multiple iterations have not improved it. I mean I get the central appeal of mocking society's obsession with professional sports and the culture surrounding it. But this is not a nuanced critique, its the same punchline over and over.

Golden Yakcckerberospablo_priceCenoMirkel
  • zeromhzeromh Registered User regular
    To me, what's interesting about this one is it riffs on the idea of a god intervening in a sports event. Lots of athletes go on TV and say something along the lines of "I am able to do what I do because of God," which is actually fantasy; they are able to do what they do because they have muscles and neurons. But in the world of this comic, you can literally summon a spectral weapon if a god lends you its power, and you can't do that otherwise. It's a fun juxtaposition.

Zilla360MenasorKnuckle DraggerLeon2309RiusfurlioncB557Moridin889
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Never thought I'd see the old Lebron "I'll be taking my talents to South Beach" announcement/meme filtered through a D&D lens

PSN/XBL/Nintendo/Origin/Steam: Nightslyr 3DS: 1607-1682-2948
    Switch: SW-3515-0057-3813 FF XIV: Q'vehn Tia
  • Skull2185Skull2185 It's literature. Smutty literature. Deal. With. It.Registered User regular
    *Dons Bahamut jersey, price tag still dangling off the sleeve*

Hell yeah, Hammerboooooorn! I've been a disciple of Bahamut for years now. So stoked to see one of the better players in the league coming over!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    CambiataNightslyrFiendishrabbitRhesus PositiveAndy Joe
  • swift_chamoisswift_chamois Registered User new member
    Calling it now: PA merch wizards have already started developing D20 earrings.

Nightslyr
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Calling it now: PA merch wizards have already started developing D20 earrings.

They're a bit late on the bandwagon in that case. D20 earrings have been around for years. One of my exes had a pair, and that was 15 years ago.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    Hahnsoo1Moridin889Edith Upwards
  • KredKred Registered User regular
    So now we know what Gabe's twin sister looks like.

Commander ZoomFiendishrabbitpablo_priceDonnictonSorceZilla360Andy Joe
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    I'd like to see the "dsports" comics spin away to be their own thing without a timetable or continuity. Maybe push the Trenches off the main page for them.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    LostNinjaV1mEdith Upwards
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind returning to the dsports alternate universe for whenever PA wants to make a comic about streaming culture.

wpyz0Y5.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    You guys with your complaints about unfinished side projects. WHERE'S MY GOD DAMN BOGEY GOLF!

Shameless Link whoring updated Fridays starting 1/26/17
    http://exterminatorsassistant.blogspot.com/
    H3KnucklesRhesus PositiveZilla360
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    zeromh wrote: »
    To me, what's interesting about this one is it riffs on the idea of a god intervening in a sports event. Lots of athletes go on TV and say something along the lines of "I am able to do what I do because of God," which is actually fantasy; they are able to do what they do because they have muscles and neurons. But in the world of this comic, you can literally summon a spectral weapon if a god lends you its power, and you can't do that otherwise. It's a fun juxtaposition.
    Then there's the other layer of the joke which is the goofiness of changing your pledged deity the way you'd change to a different sports team.

Tits! Tits! Tits! Tits! Tits! Tits!
    Moridin889Andy JoeV1mTofystedethH3Knuckles
  • DrakeLeonclawDrakeLeonclaw Registered User new member
    Seeing a news segment-type of comic reminds me how much I miss Randy Pinkwood.

H3Knuckles
  • Ryulin1990Ryulin1990 Registered User new member
    I need this so bad. Dleague would be sick for everyone that watches Acquisition Inc, Critical Role, D&D w/ highschoolers, etc

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I really like the phrase "boueyed by his gleaming wings".

YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.