As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Power Word Thrill

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Power Word Thrill

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Can the comic just be about dSports from now on, exclusively? I have discovered in my soul a mighty thirst, and this is the only drink that can quench it.

• Options
    SchadrachSchadrach Registered User regular
    I mean, there's already a 3rd party rulebook for Pathfinder meant for doing arena PvP, with some effort you might be able to make it interesting enough to watch...

http://www.conflictgames.com

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    I hope this story arc never ends.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    rcattrcatt Registered User regular
    For those whose dSports desire trends a little more towards "Sports Entertainment" I would recommend the Dungeon Dome youtube/podcast series created by the One Shot network. It's an actual-play D&D series with more than a dash of Rasslin' flamboyance thrown in.

• Options
    v2miccav2micca Registered User regular
    In what will likely be an unpopular opinion, I think this joke has already started to age poorly. I didn't think the first instance was more than chuckle-worthy, and multiple iterations have not improved it. I mean I get the central appeal of mocking society's obsession with professional sports and the culture surrounding it. But this is not a nuanced critique, its the same punchline over and over.

• Options
    zeromhzeromh Registered User regular
    To me, what's interesting about this one is it riffs on the idea of a god intervening in a sports event. Lots of athletes go on TV and say something along the lines of "I am able to do what I do because of God," which is actually fantasy; they are able to do what they do because they have muscles and neurons. But in the world of this comic, you can literally summon a spectral weapon if a god lends you its power, and you can't do that otherwise. It's a fun juxtaposition.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Never thought I'd see the old Lebron "I'll be taking my talents to South Beach" announcement/meme filtered through a D&D lens

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    *Dons Bahamut jersey, price tag still dangling off the sleeve*

Hell yeah, Hammerboooooorn! I've been a disciple of Bahamut for years now. So stoked to see one of the better players in the league coming over!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    swift_chamoisswift_chamois Registered User regular
    Calling it now: PA merch wizards have already started developing D20 earrings.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Calling it now: PA merch wizards have already started developing D20 earrings.

They're a bit late on the bandwagon in that case. D20 earrings have been around for years. One of my exes had a pair, and that was 15 years ago.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    KredKred Registered User regular
    So now we know what Gabe's twin sister looks like.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I'd like to see the "dsports" comics spin away to be their own thing without a timetable or continuity. Maybe push the Trenches off the main page for them.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind returning to the dsports alternate universe for whenever PA wants to make a comic about streaming culture.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    You guys with your complaints about unfinished side projects. WHERE'S MY GOD DAMN BOGEY GOLF!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    zeromh wrote: »
    To me, what's interesting about this one is it riffs on the idea of a god intervening in a sports event. Lots of athletes go on TV and say something along the lines of "I am able to do what I do because of God," which is actually fantasy; they are able to do what they do because they have muscles and neurons. But in the world of this comic, you can literally summon a spectral weapon if a god lends you its power, and you can't do that otherwise. It's a fun juxtaposition.
    Then there's the other layer of the joke which is the goofiness of changing your pledged deity the way you'd change to a different sports team.

• Options
    DrakeLeonclawDrakeLeonclaw Registered User new member
    Seeing a news segment-type of comic reminds me how much I miss Randy Pinkwood.

• Options
    Ryulin1990Ryulin1990 Registered User new member
    I need this so bad. Dleague would be sick for everyone that watches Acquisition Inc, Critical Role, D&D w/ highschoolers, etc

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I really like the phrase "boueyed by his gleaming wings".

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    I agree with V2MICCA. It's getting old fast.