As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sonic the Hedgehog: The Ultimate Date Movie

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    Just release a DLC pack with Espio and Vector as playable characters, with a rework like Mighty got. Throw in Charmy as an item or something, like Beat in the Megaman games.

And also a second DLC pack with Amy Rose and Honey the Cat. Then I think every single classic character will be in the game.

So with all DLC you could have up to 9 characters in Encore mode.

They'd have to add some extra save slots for Mania mode to account for 4 more characters though.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    If they were going to add even more characters, the obvious picks are Blaze and Metal Sonic, since they've been playable in 2D games before.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    That's not how you spell Vector

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Vector hasn't been playable in a 2D game.

Was Chaotix not 2D

Blaze is a modern character, not a classic character. I was only listing the classic characters who aren't in Mania (and Metal Sonic's already in, though not playable).

Though I guess Metal Knuckles and the Tails Doll are also missing depending on how deep into the spinoffs you want to go (I only included Honey since Bean and Bark were already in). And if you wanted to count Tiara from the unreleased Sonic X-treme.

Chaotix wasn't even made by Sonic Team and has a bunch of other things against it. Like... I bet Sega would have been happy to sell upwards of 32 units of the 32x device.

Was Chaotix not 2D

...for some reason, I thought Vector was added to the Chaotix team for Sonic Heroes. My bad.

Lars wrote: »
    Blaze is a modern character, not a classic character. I was only listing the classic characters who aren't in Mania (and Metal Sonic's already in, though not playable).

Though I guess Metal Knuckles and the Tails Doll are also missing depending on how deep into the spinoffs you want to go (I only included Honey since Bean and Bark were already in). And if you wanted to count Tiara from the unreleased Sonic X-treme.

I was more going off "who would be cool to add" rather than "who was in a game at a certain time."

Chaotix wasn't even made by Sonic Team and has a bunch of other things against it. Like... I bet Sega would have been happy to sell upwards of 32 units of the 32x device.

Look if Mighty can make it in, my favorite Hip Hop Gator can do

Please let him make it

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Put Shadow in, including guns.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Actually wasn't Amy playable in the Sonic Rush games

Those were pretty fun

Actually wasn't Amy playable in the Sonic Rush games

Those were pretty fun

Rush, no. Advance, maybe. I'd have to Google that.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Yeah she was playable, as was Cream, in an GBA game of some description.
    Same cartridge that had a game where you played as a robot and absorbed the characters movesets so you could become the ultimate weapon or some such?

discrider on
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Sonic Advance let you play as Amy, she had pretty interesting gameplay IIRC, you could do weird acrobatic stuff with the hammer. Advance 2 introduced Cream. Advance 3 actually had a similar Chaotix/Mania Encore mechanic where you controlled two characters simultaneously.

Oh brilliant
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Yeah she was playable, as was Cream, in an GBA game of some description.
    Same cartridge that had a game where you played as a robot and absorbed the characters movesets so you could become the ultimate weapon or some such?

Sonic Battle. The robot was called Emerl, who showed up again (kinda) in Sonic Advance 3.

Cream debuted in Adance 2, then appeared in Heroes and Advance 3, etc.

• Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    As fun as Mighty and Ray are, I'd rather they focus on a new game. Either a Sonic 5 with all new stages (my preference) or a Sonic Mania 2 with a mix of old and new.

... But as a thought experiment, it would be interesting if they took some of the modern characters and created classic versions of them. A classic version of Rouge the Bat could be cool.

I caved and bought the physical version when I saw it in the store

It's so shiny

Anyone know if your digital saves work on the disc version?

• Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    It does.

Unfortunately, I think you henceforth will need the disk version to play the game.

A bit of a bummer but I understand

I love the reverse cover

• T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Vector, Blaze and Silver are in Team Sonic Racing.

I'm happy to see Blaze in something again, I've always considered her one of her better characters. But if Vector's with them, doesn this mean Espio and Charmy aren't in?

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    I loved the 32X. It felt so futuristic and ahead of its time. But reading about it now, man, what a rough effort. Priced at $159, then $99 after only a few months, then $19.99 to get rid of inventory. Sold roughly 665,000 units.

And it looks like it only had ~30-40 games total (depending on territory), including a handful of Sega CD-required titles.

I loved and played the hell out of the games I had: Knuckles Chaotix, Motherbase 2000, Star Wars Arcade, and Shadow Squadron. Those last two had such good co-op. Lot of fun.

Oh, to be young and willing to spend entire summers playing not-great games.

I'm nostalgic for my Sega fanboy days, and I'm glad Sega is harnessing some of that with stuff like Mania. I'm super game for a Mania 2, but I'd also love to see a Sonic RPG in the nature of Dark Brotherhood, except, y'know, better.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I heard 32X was well-received at launch, but news of the Saturn tanked it all around-- SEGA was using some of the same components in Saturn, diverting manufacturing resources away from 32X for the Japanese launch, which took place at about the same time 32X was released.

Consumers caught wind that the Saturn wasn't as far off as believed (if they only knew), and developers had to choose which one to make games for. Then Saturn had its stealth launch in the US that burned everyone.

All because Nakayama got spooked by the Atari Jaguar. =P

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Say hello to Dondonpa the Racoon, the mysterious millionaire sponsoring Team Sonic Racing, and totally not Eggman in a disguise!
    tumblr_pdvgnf4JZb1rplhyso1_540.png

He's stealing Dr. Wily's bit!

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    Say hello to Dondonpa the Racoon, the mysterious millionaire sponsoring Team Sonic Racing, and totally not Eggman in a disguise!
    tumblr_pdvgnf4JZb1rplhyso1_540.png

It's possible he isn't, and just working for him...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Everyone thought Captain Whisker was Eggman, too, and he wasn't -- just working for him, as suggested above.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Eggman's got to be a racer.
    Just because he created this elaborate arena for the purposes of gathering all the chaos emeralds into one spot, doesn't mean he's not going to race.
    Stealing the ante is Plan B though.

What if we beat Dondonpa, then he is revealed to be Eggman, but then we beat Eggman, and he disappears in a puff of smoke, leaving a leaf behind, and Dondonpa shows up and reveals that "eggman" was an illusion he made with mysterious raccoon magic

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    "Hey," [Sega of Japan bigwig] Mike Fisher said, suddenly smiling at some kind of memory. "Did I ever tell you where the idea of the hedgehog came from?"
    "I thought it was the mascot contest," [Sega of America bigwig] Tom Kalinske guessed.
    Fisher leaned in. "This is one of my favorite stories. Naka-san gets all the credit, because he designed the game and, you know, he's this powerful personality, but because of that I think Oshima-san gets lost in the shuffle. So one time I went up to him and asked Sonic's true creator where that spark of an idea came from, He's really shy, this unassuming kid, and I expected him to say something like 'It was a team effort,' or 'It was just one of those things,' but he smiles really small and he says: 'I just put Felix the Cat's head on the body of Mickey Mouse.'"
    "Oh, come one," Kalinske said, "that can't be true."
    "It is, I swear," Fisher chortled. "And as shocked as you are to find this out, Oshima-san is more shocked that nobody ever called him out on this."
    The two men laughed about how their lives changed because of a twice-plagiarized creation.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    emnmnme wrote: »
    "Hey," [Sega of Japan bigwig] Mike Fisher said, suddenly smiling at some kind of memory. "Did I ever tell you where the idea of the hedgehog came from?"
    "I thought it was the mascot contest," [Sega of America bigwig] Tom Kalinske guessed.
    Fisher leaned in. "This is one of my favorite stories. Naka-san gets all the credit, because he designed the game and, you know, he's this powerful personality, but because of that I think Oshima-san gets lost in the shuffle. So one time I went up to him and asked Sonic's true creator where that spark of an idea came from, He's really shy, this unassuming kid, and I expected him to say something like 'It was a team effort,' or 'It was just one of those things,' but he smiles really small and he says: 'I just put Felix the Cat's head on the body of Mickey Mouse.'"
    "It is, I swear," Fisher chortled. "And as shocked as you are to find this out, Oshima-san is more shocked that nobody ever called him out on this."
    The two men laughed about how their lives changed because of a twice-plagiarized creation.

What's this from?

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

What's this from?

Has to be from Console Wars, which is (in my opinion) one of the worst-written pieces of "non-fiction" I've ever read. The whole thing consists of poorly written, totally unrealistic hypothetical dialogue like what you see above. Nobody talks like that, and it's 500+ pages of it. For every neat insight about the '90s console arms race, there are dozens of pages of dumb, ham-fisted dialogue (and internal monologue) like that. I gave up halfway through - I think it may have been my first time doing that? Ever? Sorry, I'm venting.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    I'm familiar with the book -- I actually rather liked it, taking some things into consideration.

But I don't remember that part.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    GMaster7 wrote: »

What's this from?

Has to be from Console Wars, which is (in my opinion) one of the worst-written pieces of "non-fiction" I've ever read. The whole thing consists of poorly written, totally unrealistic hypothetical dialogue like what you see above. Nobody talks like that, and it's 500+ pages of it. For every neat insight about the '90s console arms race, there are dozens of pages of dumb, ham-fisted dialogue (and internal monologue) like that. I gave up halfway through - I think it may have been my first time doing that? Ever? Sorry, I'm venting.

I disagree -- Console Wars was fantastic. The dialog was no worse than your typical business profile recreation, and it was chock-full of loads of great details... you bailed before the book got to the part where Sega was used to launch the PlayStation.

And no, the quote above isn't from Console Wars, but besides the unnecessary variations on "said," that seems harmless. People really talk like that. We don't produce novel-worthy prose every waking moment.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I'm familiar with the book -- I actually rather liked it, taking some things into consideration.

But I don't remember that part.

It's from Console Wars.

Page 382.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Team Sonic Racing gameplay from TGS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLB1M89fdEM

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'm still kind of bummed that I never got the reversible cover with the Sega cart-style cover for Sonic Mania Plus.

Ah well, I'm terrible at the game anyway. At least it did have a nifty art book.

• IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Still not sure how I feel about Team Sonic Racing.

The idea of focusing not just on staying ahead of everyone but also that your teammates are doing well sounds really interesting but also seems like it could be really irritating.

I really enjoyed Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed so my interest is piqued regardless.

This discussion has been closed.