As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The new gorey demon system is exactly the kind of visual upgrade they needed to be going for.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The new gorey demon system is exactly the kind of visual upgrade they needed to be going for.

Improving mobility while spreading out the arenas was a good idea as well. Make use of the extra space.

I do hope they have more roving packs of demons, but I also hope they didn't totally get rid of monster arenas. Man, running up and snagging that heart knowing the entire place was about to be flooded with baddies was a rush, especially in the later levels. But at the same time the predictability of it weighed it down a bit after a few playthroughs.

I still want them, I just want other options and styles of murder-hell chess.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Polygon asks Marty Stratton about Doom Eternal single-player DLC and if we'll have it.

Marty's Response? Absolutely.
    “Honestly, if there’s one thing thing that I would like to go back and do different is to give people more of the [Doom] campaign post-launch,” Stratton said. “You know, more follow-up DLC from a campaign perspective. So we’re already planning that and I’m looking forward to it. We’ll talk about our whole plan.”

I love you like I used to love you, id.

jungleroomx on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    looks fun

i like that they just went "NOBODY USED BURST FIRE ON THE SHOTGUN SO ITS JUST A MINIGUN NOW ENJOY"

also the fact this game has a non shitty sounding/looking plasma rifle is extremely advanced good work plasma gun scientists

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Oh my. It makes Doom 2016 look like a proof of concept. The parts are there, but the whole is so much more. It's almost as if this is the game they wanted to make, but weren't sure if people would like such a reinvention of Doom so they stuck super close to its roots while putting a few layers of the extreme on in the reboot. Now that they know people enjoyed the shit out of it, crank it to 11.

Some of my favourite little bits - the Mancubus at the start, they blew his arm guns off. It didn't seem to change his attack though. The first Cacodemon looks like he shot a grenade into its gob while it was charging up an attack, which made it pause. Guessing it did some offscreen damage as he was dealing with the mooks. Looked kinda like it was trying to regurgitate the grenade.

I also like how they have kept the sense of escalation. The Mancubus and Cacodemon in the first area were like little challenges - you're fighting Imps and flying dudes and mooks, oh here's a few individual stronger enemies. The first Arachnotron was more of a mini boss. In the second arena, those guys showed up more often - straight up 2 Arachnotorons and 2 more came in later, a few Cacodemons and Mancubuis.

That was my favourite bit of Doom 2016, the way it made you feel more badass as the game went on by introducing big guys as mini bosses who eventually just became as common as mooks and you just kept ripping and tearing right through them.

'Were not just building a Doom game, we're making a Doom Universe'.

I really like the sound of that. Give me more. Give me a Doom Xcom game, playing as those Elite marines against demons.

Animosity looks like it's properly back. There were possessed security duking it out with Imps and a Mancubus that was going on before Doomguy got there.

-Loki- on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Is it weird that I think the mini spider-brains are cute AF?

Absolutely not, they are designed to be cute. Round body, big eyes, comparatively stubby limbs... they're like puppies.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    It’s probably dumb to say this but I’m gonna say it: DOOM 2016 totally earned them the goodwill to do what they’re showing off in this video.

A rocket launcher with a chrome skull mounted into the side of the barrel? If DOOM 2016 hadn’t happened or had been a disappointment, we’d be calling that shit out as clownshoes.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Doom 2016 felt revelatory to me. I have played and enjoyed 3 battlefield games, some call of duty, etc. Doom really made me feel powerful, which is something that most games in that genre do not do anymore. They are still great games, well battlefield 4 was, but it has been a long time since I felt that level of control in the first person shooter genre. So the new one looks fucking bananas to me and my body is ready.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Jeep-EepJeep-Eep Registered User regular
    Yeah, but from what I've seen, the writing looks to have taken a serious downward turn. Stupid demons as immigrants jokes (tin-eared at best in the current climate) and that scene with the giant BFG just fell flat on it's face. If this is at all representative... well, we are getting nothing as pointed and clever as the dynamic with Hayden and Doomguy.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
    edited August 2018
    Jeep-Eep wrote: »
    Yeah, but from what I've seen, the writing looks to have taken a serious downward turn. Stupid demons as immigrants jokes (tin-eared at best in the current climate) and that scene with the giant BFG just fell flat on it's face. If this is at all representative... well, we are getting nothing as pointed and clever as the dynamic with Hayden and Doomguy.

lolwut

I'm sorry but... the writing?

jungleroomx on

lolwut

Doom 2016 had a deliberate, pointed sense of humor making jabs at both gurning game storylines and corporate behavior. I'm not seeing anything as clever in what I've seen; the gags have just been utter clownshoes.

I would rather be accused of intransigence than tolerating genocide for the sake of everyone getting along. - @Metzger Meister
    edited August 2018

lolwut

Doom 2016 had a deliberate, pointed sense of humor making jabs at both gurning game storylines and corporate behavior. I'm not seeing anything as clever in what I've seen; the gags have just been utter clownshoes.

You've seen a few minutes of what is likely a 10+ hour, unfinished game.

It's kind of early to start worrying about what was essentially window dressing and finished quite literally at the last minute in Doom 2016. That awesome cold opening in Doom 2016 was done, from what I understand, a few weeks out from shipment.

jungleroomx on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    A lot of that mobility stuff is pretty wild. In addition to double jump, we now have multi-directional dashing - forwards, strafe, and backwards, which is gonna be awesome for dodging - air-dashing, hookshot, and wall-jumping off some surfaces.

H9f4bVe.png
    I don't have much faith in Beth right now.

edited August 2018
    I don't have much faith in Beth right now.

Well thank god Bethesda is only the publisher and id software is the developer. id is largely autonomous in their development cycle even under the Bethsoft umbrella.

jungleroomx on
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I'm giving the immigration jokes a bit of side-eye, myself.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I didn’t even make the immigration connection myself. They say ‘Earth is a melting pot’, and Earth is literally on fire and melting (lava pouring from everywhere).

-Loki- on
    But are they trying to say that 'if you let in immigrants the whole place will go to Hell.'

H9f4bVe.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Given that Id's got that other franchise that's been pretty thoroughly anti-nazi lately, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they're not trying to say that.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Weren't the jokes mostly delivered by the hologram people? The hologram people that were also huge idiots in the first game.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Some more thoughts

-Putting the meathook onto the grapple kinda makes it hte default weapon you want out, which is pretty cool for a game that's the spiritual successor to Doom 2.
    -Wonder what that extra life was for? Is there an actual life system, or will that just bring you back when you die

As for the comments from the UAC corporate people, I'm hoping they're going for a "Look how silly it is that these people are trying to normalize a demon invasion" and not "hey, we're directly equating immigration and "pc culture" with our bad guys."

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I loved the sequence where he's walking through the Phobos facility, dragging the guy with the keycard without a word was such brilliant visual humour

Also punching a demon so hard his head went into his chest

It's straight up ultraviolent slapstick it's beautiful

Also some of those concept areas definitely gave me a heaven dimension vibe

edited August 2018
    Prohass wrote: »
    I loved the sequence where he's walking through the Phobos facility, dragging the guy with the keycard without a word was such brilliant visual humour

This bit was really well done. Felt kinda like they were going for a Halo Master Chief type thing, but everyone is just shit scared of this force of nature in a power armour suit. The last guy with the keycard was just crapping in his pants as he was dragged over to the terminal. Then the Elite guards. 'Hey, you can't be... in....... here.' *Okay, have my plasma gun, don't hurt me?*
    -Wonder what that extra life was for? Is there an actual life system, or will that just bring you back when you die

Guessing it's something to do with Invasions. It would suck if you got near the end of a level and some invader killed you and you had to go back to the previous checkpoint before a ridiculous fight. I mean it works for Souls games because they're meant to be bullshit, but it would suck in Doom.

-Loki- on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    As for the comments from the UAC corporate people, I'm hoping they're going for a "Look how silly it is that these people are trying to normalize a demon invasion" and not "hey, we're directly equating immigration and "pc culture" with our bad guys."

Considering they had all sorts of absurd shit in the first like volunteering for unique opportunities in their new Revenant Program, asking you to just sit in front of the demons and die in case of invasion so as not to break the expensive hardware, and advertising a corporate-sponsored soul collection drive I think it's just that the UAC is a spacefaring corporate death cult.

edited August 2018
    Mechanical wrote: »

Considering they had all sorts of absurd shit in the first like volunteering for unique opportunities in their new Revenant Program, asking you to just sit in front of the demons and die in case of invasion so as not to break the expensive hardware, and advertising a corporate-sponsored soul collection drive I think it's just that the UAC is a spacefaring corporate death cult.

Yeah I totally pulled a Mars Attacks vibe.

"We want peace. We are your friends."

jungleroomx on
    edited August 2018
    the environments are somehow just like the old school "level ass levels" that I love, while at the same time theyve now got like a massive halo style scope with bigger arenas, and with enormous vistas. Its so brilliant. Best of both worlds. that phobos bfg 10,000 thing. My god.

One thing that kind of miffed me is some of the explosions from that new rocket launcher didnt look as smokey and billowy as doom 2016s brilliant explosions

Prohass on
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Just inject it directly into my veins. I need it already.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    DOOM ETERNAL looks like what I was hoping for.

The giant BFG was awesome, and I loved the elevator ride down showing the layers, and then the fire demon reveal, so good

I can't wait to play this

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    demon

Ahem

I presume you mean "mortally challenged"?

President Evil on
    There's a downside to seeing this footage. I just lost interest in trying to 100% upgrade everything in Doom because, well, it's not Doom Eternal.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    There's a downside to seeing this footage. I just lost interest in trying to 100% upgrade everything in Doom because, well, it's not Doom Eternal.

Yea but doom is still real fun and also you can play it right now, instead of sometime in the unknowable future

edited August 2018
    The combination of the new damage system and the way demons stagger and roar when you shoot them makes the combat look so satisfying

So many games you just transfer bullets into a body until they drop at zero hp. This looks like you're actually hitting and hurting enemies

Prohass on
    Apparently id is developing the multiplayer in-house this time.

the environments are somehow just like the old school "level ass levels" that I love, while at the same time theyve now got like a massive halo style scope with bigger arenas, and with enormous vistas. Its so brilliant. Best of both worlds. that phobos bfg 10,000 thing. My god.

One thing that kind of miffed me is some of the explosions from that new rocket launcher didnt look as smokey and billowy as doom 2016s brilliant explosions

I'm sure the polish will get applied as it gets closer to release.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    But are they trying to say that 'if you let in immigrants the whole place will go to Hell.'

I don't think they're trying to say that so much as you're trying to hear that.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I loved the sequence where he's walking through the Phobos facility, dragging the guy with the keycard without a word was such brilliant visual humour.
    That bit actually felt kind of mean to me. Dude is probably going to die soon anyway, because, yup, hell has been unleashed, but they didn't need to be almost choked and terrified like that.
    The slayer could have just used a few pointing hand gestures, got him to drop the key-card, and still been menacing without being a complete anti-hero jerk-wad figure.
    And it would still be funny.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    The whole "politically correct language for demons" thing is dumb, and the entire scene of people being in awe of the Doomguy has a real Duke Nukem Forever vibe. Not what I was expecting from the team that brought us the last one. That said, the part where you shoot the demons looks amazing.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    We have limited context so I hope by trying to show the absurdity of normalizing relations with Demons that are literally make hell on Earth, the devs highlight the absurdity of being "civil" with Nazis and white supremacists.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png