As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Mannnnnn I really wanna try Keyforge, I hate the nebulous release dates of tabletop stuff, I wanna know when I can play

6F32U1X.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Mannnnnn I really wanna try Keyforge, I hate the nebulous release dates of tabletop stuff, I wanna know when I can play

At this point they have a date picked, they know when it will ship to stores barring issues... Though boat problemsay be why they haven't given a date - too much time for things to go wrong?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    The wife and I just finished May in Pandemic: Legacy s2. Spoilers through May and Recon of the Cairo (4 unique black cards) area:
    Holy shit, little green army men! We finished the Recon two turns before ending the game. Figured we were fine, but we got RNG'd a bit and Helo got an Infection when a dude appeared in his location the turn before he ended the game. Scratched it off to reveal nothing, so nice dodge there.

Next up for us is to Recon out Lagos, which we prepped by making a permanent Supply Center. South America is looking a bit grim, which I can imagine will be the case until the Far East opens up and potential port access appears. Took two population hits, but spent points to even them out. Focused on pumping population to Mexico City and Moscow since they are kind of remote.

Ended up adding about 5-8 Infection/City cards to box 6. Not sure if that's a good number or not, but we'll find out. Also used an Unrationed Event to completely remove Chicago's Infection cards from the game. Had to or risk a potential game ending outbreak. We were once again hoping to remove something remote, but we'll take it.

But yeah, these Hallow Men look like they are going to suck. I'm hoping there will be a way to deal with them, and their nasty infected cities, soon enough. I wonder if we screwed ourselves by opening that path in place of the Largo path first. We did have to jump through hoops to make it happen (adding Moscow to the grid, then discarding a black card to add it to our hand), so maybe not intended?

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Tried 2 store demo games today.

Bunny Kingdom, or the alternate title "Why the hell is this rabbit themed?"

Seems like someone decided to merge Kingdomino and a simplified Terraforming Mars (I'm sure there's another game it's closer to; can't place one though). It was okay, but you could get 4 games of Kingdomino in the amount of time it takes to play this, and it's not that much more enjoyable enough to justify the increased playtime.

TIME Stories

Essentially a VERY simplified Arkham Horror card game. Like, Betrayal at HotH attribute mechanics simple. That, combined with the card exploration and timed scenario investigation of the AH card game.

In the sense of being if you wanted the AH:TCG narrative experience with super casual players, it was alright? There was one Escape Room style puzzle to solve, so there's that if your group would enjoy it.

3 reservations I had about the game. One is the obvious replayability issue. This game is the worst value for your money prospect I've ever seen. You run through the entire base scenario in 3 hours, and that's the only thing to do is in the whole $50 package. Not only is that worse than the Arkham Horror card game's price point, but the surprise narrative factor is the only thing TIME Stories has to offer. There's nothing to change up repeat plays with.

Another is that I don't think the whole "time loop" mechanic works very well. You have a set number of turns. After that, you're booted back to your Carmen Sandiago ACME time detective agency and told to try again. You reset the entire scenario and try again, forearmed with knowledge of what to expect. The only things you get to keep are certain specialty marked things (usually spots on a map you can immediately visit after knowing about them, rather than having to find them out from people). So it's sort of like a narrative Dark Souls where you fail, everything resets, but you get to keep any unlocked bonfire locations. I guess the intent was sort of a Edge of Tomorrow feel as you get better knowing what you have to do, but it ended up just being annoying. You know what you have to do for a faster path to the objective, but there were helpful items you got from side stuff and the game tells you that you have to do all that over again every run if you want the item. After a while, you'll be tempted to look at each other and ask, "Do you want to just start off with these items and deduct the X turns it would have taken us to save time?" We'd rather have just the game given us double or triple the time to try and do it in one run.

Finally, the types of skill checks were pretty lopsided. Certain characters will be absolutely useless in the first half, and the rest will be absolutely useless in the last half (we had taken the Shellshocked soldier and he's just useless the entire time).

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I mean, fair warning about stuff in TIME Stories: The game isn't designed to have equal power level across the hosts. This is particularly pronounced in the base game and A Prophecy Of Dragons, from the ones I've played. I think that's another layer of "figuring out the path", even if it's not as intentional. You also can't judge the game as a series from the core box because every scenario is designed by a different person. The good here is that you get an assortment of takes on how to build a game around the core ideas and system. The bad of that is the lack of consistency and how you really have no idea if you're going to like what you get out of a given box.
    As far as "cost-to-fun", sure the core box is a worse value because it includes the system components. It's probably more reasonable to judge the cost of any other story instead?

Regardless, as someone who has all the current retail releases (and has played half of them), the game is unquestionably flawed. But it's always interesting to explore the things people have done with the space if you can afford it and don't hate the way the system plays.

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Hey board game friends,

I am considering buying brass birmingham for$92 can, kickstarter edition. Seems like a good price considering my flgs is selling it and paid the$80+shipping for the kickstarter (I assume actually a little less, since I'm sure they got a retail discount, but probably still less than I would have paid for the shipping myself).

Pros: 1. I don't own any train games. It would fill a void.
    2. It sounds fun? susd liked it.

Cons:3. My wife probably won't be into it and I will never play it.

Worth?

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Time Stories is flawed but it can be an amazing gaming experience. There are so few cooperative games where you get to speculate on that kind of hidden information. Should we take this deal or that, this path or that? The secondary layer of, now that we know the possibility space, how do we effectively and efficiently party build and navigate the story, is also super fun. As a kind of elaborate CYOA machine it’s pretty unrivaled, I think.

Also the price of the expansions are usually $20-30, which for a group of 2-4 is like catching a movie, and a module lasts like 4-6 hours generally. So that’s a decent value for your buck. And hey, the more you buy, the more you amortize your core set investment!

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    The tie breaker mechanic in twilight imperium is poo.

psyck0 wrote: »
    Hey board game friends,

I am considering buying brass birmingham for$92 can, kickstarter edition. Seems like a good price considering my flgs is selling it and paid the$80+shipping for the kickstarter (I assume actually a little less, since I'm sure they got a retail discount, but probably still less than I would have paid for the shipping myself).

Worth?

I paid about $130 thanks to $20 shipping, so I'm pretty jealous of your deal. I think it's worthwhile because the game will almost certainly never be worth less than what you're paying, so at worst sell it in a few months, at best enjoy a great game?

The political tie breaker? Why?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

What, your strategy card number?

Frankly, last game of TI4 I played, the last round was a coin flip between like 5 players, with the strategy card numbers/Imperial being the main factor there.
    And if it gets down to that even, still, at that point in the game, I'm pretty happy to let tiebreakers decide it, because everyone played well.

discrider on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

What, your strategy card number?

Frankly, last game of TI4 I played, the last round was a coin flip between like 5 players, with the strategy card numbers/Imperial being the main factor there.
    And if it gets down to that even, still, at that point in the game, I'm pretty happy to let tiebreakers decide it, because everyone played well.

Two of the last four games of TI4 that I played came down to a ridiculous amount of jockeying, card playing, pleading, threatening and any other shenanigans you can think of to try to finagle a win in a tight round where tiebreaking would come into play. Frankly, both games were glorious and I wouldn't want it any other way (regardless of how frustrating some things might have been at the time).

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Time Stories is flawed but it can be an amazing gaming experience. There are so few cooperative games where you get to speculate on that kind of hidden information. Should we take this deal or that, this path or that? The secondary layer of, now that we know the possibility space, how do we effectively and efficiently party build and navigate the story, is also super fun. As a kind of elaborate CYOA machine it’s pretty unrivaled, I think.

Also the price of the expansions are usually $20-30, which for a group of 2-4 is like catching a movie, and a module lasts like 4-6 hours generally. So that’s a decent value for your buck. And hey, the more you buy, the more you amortize your core set investment!

I think my group has played all but 1 of the Time Stories boxes, and I give it a cautious recommendation. It's quite entertaining, but some of them have some poorly designed final encounters that leave a bad taste in the mouth near the very end. I like the game, but still view it as flawed. If you're the type of person who likes theme over everything else, you'll probably really enjoy it. One of my friends in the group, it's her favorite board game.

I'm teaching a session of Root on TTS tomorrow, I will let you guys know how it goes! Super excited for this one and I ordered a box set, but a lot of my friends live in different states so we're gonna try the TTS mod and see how we like it. Will report back!

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I didn't get SU&SD's criticism of TIME Stories that the base scenario just ends suddenly and you're left wondering if it's really over. It seemed like a very straightforward 3rd act buildup and climax to me.

(seriously though, Ferdinan is absolutely useless)

MrBody on
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Rumour mill says October or November. A worlds or Essen release.

steam_sig.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Hey board game friends,

Worth?

For whatever reason nobody is talking much about Birmingham and whether it holds up to Lancashire. I suppose for heavier games it takes a bit of time to form an opinion

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Hey board game friends,

Worth?

For whatever reason nobody is talking much about Birmingham and whether it holds up to Lancashire. I suppose for heavier games it takes a bit of time to form an opinion

The game only arrived in Canada last week, so I'm not sure we've really had time to formulate opinions yet. :P

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Picked up Suburbia and Legend of Dragonholt on the last Amazon sale. Played Suburbia, liked it! Lost. Got behind on money too early. Good simple game though, easy to learn and teach. Relatively quick playtime.

Kickstarter recieved - Masters of the Galaxy, Everdell, Root, The Metagame.

So far only played Everdell. It's quite charming, again, simple to learn and teach and the art is gorgeous.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    What's the consensus on The Metagame? One of my groups is pretty simplistic and usually half drunk, so it's a struggle to get anything more complicated than Cash and Guns or, ugh, CAH to the table.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Ordered. Thanks for posting this!

ACsTqqK.jpg

Is that the game with randomized booster packs? If so, I'll probably have to pass.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Is that the game with randomized booster packs? If so, I'll probably have to pass.

It is a collectible card and dice game, yes.

The wife and I celebrated our 4th anniversary yesterday by eating lunch at Mox (a boardgame friendly restaurant) and finishing May in Pandemic: Legacy s2 followed by visiting Starbucks and playing two games of Mint Works and one game of 7 Wonders: Dual.

It was the best.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Bought a used card game from a guy in BGG, all it is is a deck of 90 cards and some tokens. Shows up missing 16 of the 90 cards in the deck. Like... C'mon man.

Bought a used card game from a guy in BGG, all it is is a deck of 90 cards and some tokens. Shows up missing 16 of the 90 cards in the deck. Like... C'mon man.

Fuck that. Get on his ass to either send you the missing cards or a refund.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    What's the consensus on The Metagame? One of my groups is pretty simplistic and usually half drunk, so it's a struggle to get anything more complicated than Cash and Guns or, ugh, CAH to the table.

Wife and I love it. Played it with strangers and with friends. Dead simple to explain. Rewards creative thinking and it's generally a good laugh. Very quick as well.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    *slaps roof of thread*

This baby can fit so many fucking OPs!

Guy said the games been sitting untouched on a shelf since the late 90s and he doesn't have any cards for it. That's fine but like who sells a game without making sure everything's in there? Thankfully it was $5 so it's not the end of the world if he's a dick and won't refund me, but still it's very annoying. The games OOP and generally hard to find a copy of, and I excited to get it. Anyway I'm just rambling because I'm highly annoyed.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of picking up gloomhaven to primarily play two player with my fiancée. Anything I should know for playing 2 player? Sounds like it works well with just two.

• KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I'm thinking of picking up gloomhaven to primarily play two player with my fiancée. Anything I should know for playing 2 player? Sounds like it works well with just two.

2 player Gloomhaven should work fine. My fiancee and I have been enjoying it with occasionally bringing in other people to do a 4 player game. Strategy-wise, you want to avoid the tinkerer in a 2p game and probably not run a scoundrel without a melee partner. We went with mind-thief and scoundrel and we have a pretty solid teamwork where we can stunlock our targets to death and kill anything else before it becomes unmanageable.

Korror on
    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I tried Team Covenant’s podcast and was pleasantly surprised that they addressed my core concern with their show like right away, which was their status as retailers making them unlikely to talk negatively about games, since they want to sell you shit

But they talk plenty about games they don’t think are worthwhile or even critique ones they do like

6F32U1X.png
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    We played a 4 player game of Root on Tabletop Simulator tonight. It ended up taking about 4 hours in total with a full up-front rules explanation and a lot of hand-holding and confusion at the start. We also didn't know Tabletop Simulator very well, so there was a learning curve there too. This is not an easy game to teach or learn; it's slightly better than Vast is, in that there are a lot of shared mechanics and a shared deck and a lot of things generally act the same way between factions. However, our Eyrie player needed a lot of help in the first three turns or so to make sure he didn't fall into turmoil every turn.

Final Score: Eyrie 30, Marquise 27, Vagabond 17, Woodland Alliance 17.

I was playing the Marquise, and right at the beginning you feel very powerful and like the whole map is your oyster. Then things started happening on the map. Bad things. A bird army swooped in and began gobbling up territory one by one. The woodland alliance revolted in two places and got one base right next to my keep, threatening to spread in to my keep from the bottom of the map with the bird army of doom threatening me from the other end. Getting your engine up is fairly easy at the beginning, but it quickly falls apart due to the necessities of being the Forest Cat Police and everyone hating you.

I got to the point where I was sprinting up the chart gaining 5-6 points per turn, but then the birds got out of control. They were also gaining 5 points a turn and he got 3 extra VPs by destroying 3 of my buildings in a single battle. I needed to throw them into turmoil. I couldn't fight them because all my forces were tied up in the bottom of the map dealing with a bunny revolt. I noticed that the birds needed to battle in a mouse clearing and they were all empty, so I figured they would go into turmoil as long as they couldn't fight. I forgot that my home base was a mouse clearing and they managed to to roll in there with two birds and get a battle. I forgot to leave a small force behind, totally my fault that I lost this one. They ended up winning the game the turn before I would've won; I had enough wood stockpiled to build two buildings quickly.

I really enjoyed this! Each faction plays very different, which is both a good and a bad thing. It's a nightmare for players who aren't used to medium-complexity games. After my Eyrie player went into an early turmoil, I literally had to play his next turn for him and tell him what to do because he wasn't understanding the decree mechanic. It finally clicked for him, but he really struggled. Luckily, he picked it up quickly after a bit, but that initial hurdle was rough. I felt bad that my Vagabond and Woodland Alliance players didn't do as well. I think I picked on Woodland Alliance a bit too much as the cats and I needed to focus more on the birds earlier. I felt like the alliance was very dangerous and would run away with the game after the two quick revolts, but they got smacked down instead and ended up getting stuck in a rut. I needed them to be a bit stronger to help me with the birds later, so I shouldn't have hit them as hard as I did. It probably was another major mistake that let the Eyrie win the game.

I haven't played with any of the expansion factions yet, but I'm looking forward to it. It feels like the Eyrie might be the easiest faction to play for a new player, followed by Marquise, then Woodland, then Vagabond. I have not seen anyone do well with the Vagabond yet, even being left alone by the rest of the players. Not sure what's up with that, but I want to play him to see what his deal is. Great game, I want to play it again immediately, which...I guess is the sign of something that needs to be in my collection.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I’m in the process of sleeving all of the cards in Sentinels of the Multiverse. There are almost 3000 cards. :(

My girlfriend said that she is going to help me sleeve tonight. She must love me or something. :)

Edit: In case anyone is interested, I am using KMC perfect fits, which are the sleeves Magic players often use when they double sleeve, and they seem to work great.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    My mom, who follows a lot of board game youtube channels, told me that she heard they were remaking Atmosfear, but she couldn't remember where she heard it (says it might have been a recent Dice Tower, but I couldn't find it). Has anyone heard anything about this?

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

Guy said the games been sitting untouched on a shelf since the late 90s and he doesn't have any cards for it. That's fine but like who sells a game without making sure everything's in there? Thankfully it was $5 so it's not the end of the world if he's a dick and won't refund me, but still it's very annoying. The games OOP and generally hard to find a copy of, and I excited to get it. Anyway I'm just rambling because I'm highly annoyed.

What a poor excuse. He put it up for sale. He should have listed it as incomplete. He could have just tossed it
    and forego the 5 dollar and saved you all this trouble.

steam_sig.png

What a poor excuse. He put it up for sale. He should have listed it as incomplete. He could have just tossed it
    and forego the 5 dollar and saved you all this trouble.

Id be a lot more understanding of it was a single token that got lost it something, but a fifth of the deck is pretty inexcusable. Anyway, I'm gonna proxy up some cards and see if the games good enough to keep looking for a copy I guess.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I've said before how I dislike Alhambra's score track and currency colors, so I've started my little project to replace the four currencies with better colors. Yellow, Orange, Blue, and Green get replaced with Gold, Copper, Silver and Lead, with a score track that's easier to parse.

tqgqc0tle5t5.jpg

Wearingglasses on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    We played a 4 player game of Root on Tabletop Simulator tonight.

My goodness there is a lot of copyright violation going on with TTS. It must be hosted on a derelict freighter floating in the Black Sea, otherwise Disney, Wizards of the Coast, and Games Workshop would have sued 'Berserk Games' out of existence by now.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Korror wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

2 player Gloomhaven should work fine. My fiancee and I have been enjoying it with occasionally bringing in other people to do a 4 player game. Strategy-wise, you want to avoid the tinkerer in a 2p game and probably not run a scoundrel without a melee partner. We went with mind-thief and scoundrel and we have a pretty solid teamwork where we can stunlock our targets to death and kill anything else before it becomes unmanageable.

I think three Heroes is optimal, but two certainly works. Starting out with only two heroes, I would say that the Brute is just about mandatory.

This discussion has been closed.