As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Games Done Quick: See You Next Mission

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Split them, so we get a game 3, which is not yet scheduled.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The lead she had over Andy in the first game was freaking huge. Missed the second one.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. FrankerZ, the actual doggo behind the emote, died.

Game 3 is now scheduled for tomorrow at 330 PM Eastern.

I dunno if he's intending to speedrun any of it at all, but PJ - the guy who did the hype mode Bionic Commando run at this past SGDQ - is doing a thing all this month where he's playing Sega Genesis games for the first time. I grew up with one and am increasingly defensive of it and its library so here I am saying watch some good games!

As of this post he's playing Castlevania: Bloodlines.

~35 second gap between PKR and Andy headed to GT.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    PKR lost a 30s lead from dark magician route

edit: GG andy with a literally perfect silverless phase 4, all triple spins

Phyphor on
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    That was very close. I think Andy made up enough time in gt and Ganon to win either way, though.

You'd have to go check the video timestamps, but he went from 35s behind to 80s ahead and I doubt right side takes 2 minutes, so probably

He made up about 30 seconds on Ganon because he did it super, super well. Though given that he .done'd while she was fighting Ganon, that may have changed her fight.

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    zfg111 smashed their own WR in Ocarina of Time 100% yesterday (I think, well this tweet is from yesterday at any rate):

EDIT: the run:

Goose! on
    Hippo luck not coming through for him it seems in game 1. He has to do IP and climb vs christos who just has to kill moldorm

1:13:18 is pretty good. Could have been a little faster if he didn't have to double dip Hera.

Game 2 of hippo and Christos on SG2 momentarily.

Annnnnnnnnd hippo luck is slain by left side swamp. He skipped it, Somaria was there, Christos has an enormous lead and will almost certainly be advancing to face Andy in the title match.

Thursday 10 AM and 6 PM, Friday 5 PM. All times eastern.

So the runner who did Sonic Adventure at SGDQ got SWATted this afternoon. They're okay and the cops are aware that SWATting is a thing.

Seriously fuck anyone who does that shit. I mean, that is absolute garbage and they belong in jail for fucking ever.

hippo takes the bronze. Andy v. Christos starts tomorrow morning.

Game 1:
    Christos dies to Argus in an absolute jet seed. Despite being in GT at 1:02 he correctly realizes he's way behind and gambles tile room... only for Andy to find the big key in the Stalfos room at the same time. Andy about to take game 1 in something like 1:10.

Game 2 is tonight at 6 Eastern.

Annnnd we have a champion:
    It's Andy. Avenges his keysanity championship loss. Christos has two runners up in standard, an open quarterfinal loss, and a keysanity championship now.

edited August 2018
    Format for the next tournament, which starts October 1. Open mode. Bunch of qualifiers, top 96 get into groups. 16 groups of 6, you play each member of your group three times (15 matches in group!). Top 2 from each group go to brackets.

So that's insane.

There are also French and German tournaments going on now, because LTTPR is consuming the entire speed gaming set of channels, apparently.

enlightenedbum on
    Well they've gotten too big to really do this again, 512 people is too many to have individual matchups and the next one will just be even bigger with open signups

Yeah, the only crazy thing is having like an NFL season worth of group games. That's going to last until like, February?

• Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Not sure how many people here are into it, but game 2 of the FF1 randomizer tournament finals comes on in about 45 minutes.

edited August 2018
    Yeah, the only crazy thing is having like an NFL season worth of group games. That's going to last until like, February?

The NFL season is really short! You can do 3 vs one opponent in a week like with these playoffs, so you have say 3 weeks of October for qualifiers, then 5 weeks of group stages putting you to end of November, then brackets in December, done by new years

The main thing is that unlike swiss, group matches can all be scheduled ahead of time so you don't have to do them at the rate of 1/week

Phyphor on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Makes sense rando is taking over, just view numbers alone its their top rated thing. And I think gets the most entries.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Yeah the official schedule has quarter-finals starting up after new years. Group games can be in any order and at any time
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vRG9CZ4IsGqClUNqDIk0nuy_8k6i0VQ5d7qq3ajJmbKhsEjOyoC2Uk0FLEjQJhXQK4_EcpWwzAL7C-k/pub

• BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    All today Big Jon is running the first annual speedrun battle arena, which I don't understand necessarily the battle arena aspect but it's races for prizes across various games
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11p7MW29BKG6yctCmLX9W3VJRWJSLKjeXx3A8lnquYc4/edit

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    So there's bad news.
    Beginning 9/14, ad-free viewing will no longer be part of #TwitchPrime for new members. You can still get ad-free viewing on a channel by using your Twitch Prime sub, if the creator has this enabled.
    Someone points out,
    Excuse me, but you say you are removing ad-free from Twitch Prime to "be able to give the creators the ad money" but at launch you said "you won't see ads, but don't worry, THE BROADCASTER WILL STILL GET MONEY LIKE YOU WATCHED THE AD" So which one is the lie?
    So far any reaction I've seen from speedrunners is that they hate this. As they should. This is fucking dumb and greedy.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I mean I'd rather not watch ads, but it's not something I'd get up in arms about myself.

The thing is, ad-free was the big feature of Twitch Prime. They're abruptly pulling that away. They're changing their business model on people unfairly.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I thought the big feature of twitch prime was the free sub and the free stuff?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    It's a change they're making in like, a month, that doesn't seem particularly abrupt. You've got plenty of time to cancel your subscription if you feel this change makes it no longer worth your money.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    The thing is, ad-free was the big feature of Twitch Prime. They're abruptly pulling that away. They're changing their business model on people unfairly.

How is it unfair? They didn't cheat you out of anything. If this is the straw and you don't want Amazon Prime anymore, you can just... not get it anymore. I don't think Twitch owes it to you to always provide the exact same feature list.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    I clicked on the wrong thread, wondering why there was all this talk of speedrunning and not something else. Buuuut....

When are people going to learn that an Ad that interrupts content will never be liked by anyone. All they need to do is add some small adplayer in the corner somewhere that doesn't stop me from watching someone stream, and for the most part, ill be ok with it. It's when it pops up over what I'm trying to watch, while there is a potentially some super exciting stuff about to happen that it's just unacceptable. I don't mind if you silently serve me an add above or below my chat, since i don't read many chats anyway, but the minute it's over the content is when you lose me forever, and i will continue using adblock regardless of what policy changes you try and make.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
    edited August 2018
    kime wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

How is it unfair? They didn't cheat you out of anything. If this is the straw and you don't want Amazon Prime anymore, you can just... not get it anymore. I don't think Twitch owes it to you to always provide the exact same feature list.
    They're moving the function of ad-free to a new pay-for thing. So if you want Twitch Prime AND ad-free you have to pay for two things now instead of one thing.

Henroid on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    well, an old pay-for thing, turbo predates twitch prime

it's not great, to be sure, they're straight up reducing their offering

but, I can't call it unfair? they were the ones who came up with that offering to start with, and there's a lot of time to drop it if you don't think it's worth it anymore

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    You could say it's greedy or shortsighted, but definitely not unfair. And it's still generally in twitchs interest to show you the cool thing happening because of their margin on bits

There's also how this affects streamers themselves. People who had prime were already being counted toward ads being "viewed." People generally aren't going to pay for TWO services to avoid viewing ads. They're going to use ad blockers more instead (or they'll stop watching Twitch as much out of frustration), and streamers will get less ad-based revenue share.

And yeah this news is tangential at best to GDQ itself I'm sorry.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I seriously doubt Twitch is going to lose a noticeable number of viewers from this.

But yeah, if adblockers work on Twitch (they were touch and go before Prime), it's likely streamers will lose revenue (assuming Twitch Prime gave them revenue, which is apparently not necessarily true based on the tweet earlier in the thread?). That sucks.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
This discussion has been closed.