As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    I loved the sequence where he's walking through the Phobos facility, dragging the guy with the keycard without a word was such brilliant visual humour.
    That bit actually felt kind of mean to me. Dude is probably going to die soon anyway, because, yup, hell has been unleashed, but they didn't need to be almost choked and terrified like that.
    The slayer could have just used a few pointing hand gestures, got him to drop the key-card, and still been menacing without being a complete anti-hero jerk-wad figure.
    And it would still be funny.

I mean, that dude works in a command center for the company that literally brought Hell to Earth, right? Or am I missing something.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I loved the sequence where he's walking through the Phobos facility, dragging the guy with the keycard without a word was such brilliant visual humour.
    That bit actually felt kind of mean to me. Dude is probably going to die soon anyway, because, yup, hell has been unleashed, but they didn't need to be almost choked and terrified like that.
    The slayer could have just used a few pointing hand gestures, got him to drop the key-card, and still been menacing without being a complete anti-hero jerk-wad figure.

I mean, that dude works in a command center for the company that literally brought Hell to Earth, right? Or am I missing something.
    I don't know, I never got around to finishing Doom 2016's story mode. Lore me up! Was every employee in on the evil master plan (TM)?

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

I don't know, I never got around to finishing Doom 2016's story mode. Lore me up! Was every employee in on the evil master plan (TM)?

I mean, he didn't kill the guy or even hurt him. Just kinda scared the shit out of him.

I know that if I was about to go face down an army of extradimensional hellbeasts brought forward by this one corporation the last thing I'd be worried about was tact.

jungleroomx on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    We have limited context so I hope by trying to show the absurdity of normalizing relations with Demons that are literally make hell on Earth, the devs highlight the absurdity of being "civil" with Nazis and white supremacists.

I hope that they can just make a videogame and not have it be political at all because trying to cram a stupid political agenda into every single piece of media is the worst fucking thing about 2018.

I don't want to see a bunch of idiots debating about Doom on a message board, I want to shoot demons in the face with a shotgun and discuss how much fun it is to shoot demons in the face with a shotgun with other, like minded individuals who also enjoy shooting demons in the face with a shotgun.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    We have limited context so I hope by trying to show the absurdity of normalizing relations with Demons that are literally make hell on Earth, the devs highlight the absurdity of being "civil" with Nazis and white supremacists.

I hope that they can just make a videogame and not have it be political at all because trying to cram a stupid political agenda into every single piece of media is the worst fucking thing about 2018.

I don't want to see a bunch of idiots debating about Doom on a message board, I want to shoot demons in the face with a shotgun and discuss how much fun it is to shoot demons in the face with a shotgun with other, like minded individuals who also enjoy shooting demons in the face with a shotgun.

I think an invasion is typically going to be problematic and symbolic and some people will pull shit out of it that wasn't the intent of the creators.

I'm already seeing some pretty bleh comments on the videos about how it's sympathetic to those who want to maintain the pristine nature of different races so

My overall solution to this is just to never discuss video games outside of this forum.

jungleroomx on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

To me, it just seems like more of the same satirical over the top super evil corporation stuff that you came across in DOOM '16, which of course is political in nature, but I don't think id is trying to make some grandiose statement, it's just the typical super evil corp trope that's been around for decades.

Super evil corp does something evil, public finds out, evil corp tries to spin it in a positive nature, haha everyone laughs because of the obvious juxtaposition

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL

To me, it just seems like more of the same satirical over the top super evil corporation stuff that you came across in DOOM '16, which of course is political in nature, but I don't think id is trying to make some grandiose statement, it's just the typical super evil corp trope that's been around for decades.

Super evil corp does something evil, public finds out, evil corp tries to spin it in a positive nature, haha everyone laughs because of the obvious juxtaposition

Yeah, I'm not expecting the studio who put a grappling hook on a double barrel shotgun to weave a grand narrative. It'd probably get in the way.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    and the entire scene of people being in awe of the Doomguy has a real Duke Nukem Forever vibe. Not what I was expecting from the team that brought us the last one. That said, the part where you shoot the demons looks amazing.

I saw it as them being scared shitless, not being in awe.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Fuck me sideways, that is some hot shit right there. Hookshotgun? Fucking seriously? And it looks like Doomguy ran into a Predator since the last game, beat him up, took all his stuff, and then decided to make Predators look like chumps for using all their shit wrong. And damn is that music on-point again.

Even the invasion thing looks alright to me, since invaders play as Hell troops so it fits that some of them are going to be better than other Hell troops.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    and the entire scene of people being in awe of the Doomguy has a real Duke Nukem Forever vibe. Not what I was expecting from the team that brought us the last one. That said, the part where you shoot the demons looks amazing.

yeah i mean the entire plot of the first game is "EVERYBODY IS AFRAID OF THIS VERY BAD NO GOOD DUDE"

obF2Wuw.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    And it looks like Doomguy ran into a Predator since the last game, beat him up, took all his stuff, and then decided to make Predators look like chumps for using all their shit wrong.

Not sure where the wrist blade came from (and I don't fucking care, I get to cut demons in half) but the shoulder cannon is very likely going to be the same technology behind the Revenant rocket launchers. Except Doomguy can cycle different ammo because he's Doomguy, who's going to tell him he can't?

My favorite little touch to the combat is how the bigger enemies are slowly shredded apart as Doomguy, well, shreds them apart. We saw it obviously with the Baron of Hells skin being stipped away to see the fire underneath, but look closely in the Arachnotrons and each shot to the brain caused a bit to come away.

yeah i mean the entire plot of the first game is "EVERYBODY IS AFRAID OF THIS VERY BAD NO GOOD DUDE"

Also, Hell is so afraid of this guy that they stripped him of his armour, entombed him in solid rock, wrapped that rock in iron bands and pinned it to the bedrock. Then did the same to his armour.

Every being in the universe should be terrified of Doomguy.

-Loki- on

Subtitle: FUCK ARGENT FILTERS.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Reviewing that rocket launcher with the chrome skull:

If I’m seeing it correctly, the actual rocket is, like, pre-launched within the firing barrel and held in place by something (quantum state? magnetism?) until you pull the trigger.

You’re literally walking around with an angry rocket already in mid-flight waiting for you to let it do the rest.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

If I’m seeing it correctly, the actual rocket is, like, pre-launched within the firing barrel and held in place by something (quantum state? magnetism?) until you pull the trigger.

You’re literally walking around with an angry rocket already in mid-flight waiting for you to let it do the rest.
    I think it's not a pre-firing rocket, but a magic fireball.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

The launcher appears to also be semi-auto, for superior angry rocket firing. I really did think the always-burning rocket was a great touch, since it gives an obvious visual tell for when the rocket is ready to fire again.

Overall, they seemed to have utterly nailed the blazing-fast urgency of the first game in virtually everything. Even the way the helmet counts down to being ready isn't some silly 10-second thing; it flashes up a numbered countdown, and then blows through it in about a second. No time to fuck around with numbers, demons have to die.
    And it looks like Doomguy ran into a Predator since the last game, beat him up, took all his stuff, and then decided to make Predators look like chumps for using all their shit wrong.

Not sure where the wrist blade came from (and I don't fucking care, I get to cut demons in half) but the shoulder cannon is very likely going to be the same technology behind the Revenant rocket launchers. Except Doomguy can cycle different ammo because he's Doomguy, who's going to tell him he can't?

My favorite little touch to the combat is how the bigger enemies are slowly shredded apart as Doomguy, well, shreds them apart. We saw it obviously with the Baron of Hells skin being stipped away to see the fire underneath, but look closely in the Arachnotrons and each shot to the brain caused a bit to come away.

Yeah, they fit the setting, but the wristblade and shoulder launcher are obviously meant to give off a bit of a Predator vibe. But that's fine with me, because both are awesome additions. A big arm knife for stabbing and a shoulder launcher for special weapons mean those attacks fit more seamlessly into the Endless Murder combat; Doomguy whipping out a grenade in the first guy is comparatively awkward when put up against having a shoulder-mounted launcher always happy to pop out and fuck something up, and arm knife means a lot more interesting ways to present enemy organs to them before forcing them back into various orifices.

And that dynamic damage system really is great. I think the last time I saw something like that was that one console Wolverine game, where Wolverine would get torn up based on damage taken and heal up over time. The vast majority of games hardly do more than have helmets or something get plinked off, but the tougher demons here start looking pretty ragged as they get hit.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    As if often noted in D&D, art is political. Choosing to be apolitical is a political choice. Games are art (or at least, they certainly can be). Games aren't necessarily inherently political, but yes, the 10-20 minutes of trailer and gameplay we've seen do seem to at least be winking and nodding in that direction. DOOM 2016 had its nods at stupid/evil/shortsighted/etc corporations. I highly doubt there'll be a 'children in cages' level in this one, but some continuing nods for humour and to build upon what was built in the last one wouldn't surprise me at all.

And yes, based on their other works, it also wouldn't shock me if they leaned into the political adjacent elements either, but I'm on board with grappling flying enemies and then shotgunning them on the way by, so either give me shade at corporations or politics or whatever.

If nothing else, some kind of Mass Effect 3 style "WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU THINK WOULD HAPPEN? I WARNED YOU FUCKS!" moment (with less actual dialogue, of course) would make sense, but that's not the Doomguy we know and love. There's stoic silence to embrace and BFGs to stick down demon (ahem) gullets.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I think the best thing about the predator shoulder gun is the flaemethrower, I love that it's like a crowd control mass stun, because traditionally while flame throwers in fps games have been fun in a mwahahahahahaha way they have normally felt awkward to use as a main gun, making it an ability power kind of like the chainsaw is another way that this series is not only bringing back old school vibes but also making smart changes to the genre in terms of gameplay

Also seems like enemies hit by the flamethrower drop plenty of armor when killed. Not only does it make it a nice special attack for crowd control, it also adds a way for players to pick the powerups they want from kills on the fly.

I'm thinking that's directly a response to the fact that DOOM '16 heavily encouraged taking the armor-pickup rune to make sure you were always topped off with enough armor to use the unlimited ammo rune. Now we can just set some stuff on fire and kill it to get a pile of armor, instead of taking up a rune slot on something relatively dull but practical.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The thing that ultimately makes me okay about the arm-blade is it neccessitates they rethink all of the melee executions. Previously I figured this was going to be the Doom 2 to Doom 1, where they just add a ton of crap on top of Doom 2016 and call it a sequel. Now it looks like we're going to get an all-new set of glory kills.

Also that Cacodemon totally eats a grenade, it explodes in its body like a cartoon (complete with "bulge" effects) and the Cacodemon keeps right on trucking. Awesome.

edited August 2018
    Looked like the new Glory kills with the blade are mixed in with the old Glory kills (pretty sure I saw the old 'punch em in the face' one pop up), plus some new non-blade Glory kills to boot (like the hilarious hammering the demons head down into its own chest). It looks like it'll be nice and varied.

-Loki- on
    Looks like no chain glory kills, at least not in the trailer. There's a part where two are glowing and the glory kill only takes one of them out, with no chain indication. Could be something you unlock later, or could be they have decided that it's not in the games style or doesn't work for some reason

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    If there was an announcement warning that "ALERT ALERT THE DOOM SLAYER HAS ARRIVED!!" that seems like a pretty sure bet to me that the building you're in is filled with Hell Corp employees and they are warning the boss.

I appreciate that the Slayer doesn't just kill all the humans, even if they deserve it. He's not a monster.. unless you're a monster. But he sure as hell doesn't have to be nice to them.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I don't like the studs on the right gauntlet.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

looks fun

i like that they just went "NOBODY USED BURST FIRE ON THE SHOTGUN SO ITS JUST A MINIGUN NOW ENJOY"

also the fact this game has a non shitty sounding/looking plasma rifle is extremely advanced good work plasma gun scientists

I used the burst fire over the explosive shot. So ID just going "fuck it, make it an automatic shotgun" is the logical improvement that was made with me in mind

Karl on
    This talk of the demon body fragmentation damage and the presence of Arch Viles in Doom Eternal makes me wonder if Arch Viles might be able to not just resurrect dead enemies but also heal wounded/maimed ones.

This talk of the demon body fragmentation damage and the presence of Arch Viles in Doom Eternal makes me wonder if Arch Viles might be able to not just resurrect dead enemies but also heal wounded/maimed ones.

I hope they come back all fucked up looking.

• SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    looks fun

i like that they just went "NOBODY USED BURST FIRE ON THE SHOTGUN SO ITS JUST A MINIGUN NOW ENJOY"

also the fact this game has a non shitty sounding/looking plasma rifle is extremely advanced good work plasma gun scientists

I used the burst fire over the explosive shot. So ID just going "fuck it, make it an automatic shotgun" is the logical improvement that was made with me in mind

I used both, depending on what I was fighting.

I like that it's not just automatic, it's a Gatling shotgun!

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
    Re-viewing the footage...

Anyone else notice in the brief view of the level map, in the upper right corner there's a 'DEMONIC CORRUPTION' meter, which intrigues me greatly. I'm only guessing, but, I would speculate this could mean making gore nests that are entire levels.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I wonder if there will be some amount of procedural generation. Using the bones of SnapMap to essentially create, well, eternal Doom. Launch this mode if you don’t care about story and just want to kill demons, we will keep spinning up different level variations for you.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if we didn't get something like a horde mode, with a name like Eternal.

I do wonder if they're going to entirely drop the DOOM 16 kind of multiplayer as well. The only thing that ever did for me was require annoyingly large patches for something I never even opened.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I'm fine with them having multi, it was enough, but man they need to figure out the patch shit on that front for real.

Yeah, if they put in the same kind of multiplayer again it wouldn't surprise me, but neither would I care. I mostly just don't want to be getting hit with massive patches just so I can play the part of the game I actually like and has nothing to do with the frequent multi-gig patches they had for a while.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Yea it's why I uninstalled it after a while. It's a shame since I wanted to keep it around and mess with arcade mode etc but like however many gb of multiplayer patches got to be too much.

An Eternal mode that gave you procedurally generated maps full of shit to kill on wacky architecture would be so, so great. I’m not a fan of redoing story missions over and over but I’d play the shit out of random maps full of demons.

I know I can do it with snap maps but there’s effort there in finding not awful maps that a procedurally generates maps could get around.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Re-viewing the footage...

Anyone else notice in the brief view of the level map, in the upper right corner there's a 'DEMONIC CORRUPTION' meter, which intrigues me greatly. I'm only guessing, but, I would speculate this could mean making gore nests that are entire levels.

I believe there is a monitor that has something like that in DOOM

Fencingsax on
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    If they can whip somrthing up like Custom Wads from Snapmap i'd die happy

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!

i think the implication is there that not everyone was involved, or at least knew the whole deal. Cos they seem to be getting orders from up top to let the demons in ,and theyre like "what they cant be serious right?" so im guessing Doomguy is just regarding them with a general "you idiots should have seen this coming, and now i have to clean it all up" attitude

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The idea is that the Doomslayer cares about exactly one thing: Fucking up demons. If you stay out of his way, he won't bother you: if you have something he needs, he's going to take it from you. (Or drag you along, in keycard guy's case.). If you're working with the demons, your ass is grass.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

i think the implication is there that not everyone was involved, or at least knew the whole deal. Cos they seem to be getting orders from up top to let the demons in ,and theyre like "what they cant be serious right?" so im guessing Doomguy is just regarding them with a general "you idiots should have seen this coming, and now i have to clean it all up" attitude

In the story of the previous game, it seemed like the only one who was 100% pro-demon was Olivia, the creepy lady. Though she did get something of a cult going, it was never clear how much all the cultists fully understood about what was going down. There's even a lore-message towards the end where she thanks everyone that helped her out while at the same time telling them she was only ever using them for her own benefit and they're all going to rot in hell forever.

Going by the ending of the first game, it seemed like Slamuel Hayden was anti-Hell but still determined to mess with their dimension for profit in spite of all the trouble. So he may have fucked it all up accidentally instead of deliberately.

H9f4bVe.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I usually have minimal interest in PVP multiplayer, but an ME3 style co-op horde mode would definitely hold appeal.

Some kind of jumbled snap map procedurally generated thing with co-op could be neat for sure.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!