As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Console] Teeth gnashing continues, but hey, Ys I guess

• Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Towly wrote: »
    The gameplay was... completely shit. Getting rolled over by tanks and snowplows or some bullshit, and half the monsters made no sense at all.

Shame I didn't see it back then, when I blamed myself for sucking at the game(I think i was around 8 maybe), and being a huge fan of TMNT I just kept playing.

Not to mention the controls, the bosses, and nearly all of the levels except maybe the first one.

If anything I hate it more because I didn't grow up forcing myself to play it. TMNT2: The Arcade Game was my constant companion on snow days. I had to go back and emulate the first one - terrible move. How were the third and fourth ones on NES in comparison to the second?

I personally love the old TMNT game. For some reason I have this... thing for really bad licensed games for stuff I loved as a kid.

Oh, and are we ever going to get the first X-Men game for the Genesis? The one that was irrationally hard and unforgiving? Because that game was awesome too.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wait.. if I'm correct in assuming the countdown in the title is in seconds, then it's only 15 hours until Earthbound :D

54,716 seconds / 60 seconds per minute = 911.933 minutes
    911.93 minutes / 60 minutes per hour = 15.1989 hours

</nerd>

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wait.. if I'm correct in assuming the countdown in the title is in seconds, then it's only 15 hours until Earthbound :D

</nerd>
    It's measured in weeks

Elendil on
  • Options
    AselithAselith Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

</nerd>

I don't think you can count yourself a nerd if you're also retarded.

Aselith on
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    I dunno I was thinking either...

Sin and Punishment or SMB Lost Levels... Not sure yet..

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    I dunno I was thinking either...

Sin and Punishment or SMB Lost Levels... Not sure yet..

Sin and Punishment is one of the five best games to come out for the N64. It also has hilarious English voice acting with Japanese subtitles. The Lost Levels is like a copy of SMB that hates you and wants to make you cry.

It's not even close. Get S&P and thank us later.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ok Im going to get Sin and Punishment but why does SMB Lost levels hate me?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Anyone else having problems updating their Wii for the last update/getting to the Wii Shop Channel?

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    I've been enjoying the hell out of Metal Marines lately.

Oh, and if we ever get Seiken Densetsu III over here I may never leave the house again.
    That seems unlikely, since it was never even officially translated into English. :(

gilrain on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    darunia106 wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Everyone's thinking it, I'm just saying it.

Which one first, Duke Nukem Forever or Earthbound on VC?

Being that we just got a DNF trailer, DNF. Definitely.

Remember what happened last time we got a DNF trailer?

No, because that was before my testicles dropped.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Aselith wrote: »

</nerd>

Not sure what I said that made you think I'm retarded; unless you thought I being serious. I just thought it was funny his made up number wasn't actually very large at all. :P

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Finally got wi-fi working for my Wii again, hot damn I missed having that around. I was stuck without it for a while because the system I'm running uses vista, which isn't compatible with the USB adapter (Which sucks, I know, I am poor)

Got the update out of the way. First order of business! Paper Mario. Oh God I miss this game. I was forced to rely on a crappy emulator to play it when I didn't have an N64 for a while, it brings back such awesome memories to finally run it on a console agian.

I look forward to seeing my nieces try it out next time they're over here. It'll also be nice to have the older of the two web browsing on the wii instead of trying to get onto the computer every time I leave my bloody chair. >: P

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

</nerd>

Not sure what I said that made you think I'm retarded; unless you thought I being serious. I just thought it was funny his made up number wasn't actually very large at all. :P

but you are being serious.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Variable wrote: »

</nerd>

but you are being serious.

Serious about Earthbound coming out in "15 hours" that is.

Meh, nevermind. It was a joke, and apparently one that wasn't very funny to anyone but myself.

So, uh, Virtual Console and all that.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    TowlyTowly Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The gameplay was... completely shit. Getting rolled over by tanks and snowplows or some bullshit, and half the monsters made no sense at all.

Shame I didn't see it back then, when I blamed myself for sucking at the game(I think i was around 8 maybe), and being a huge fan of TMNT I just kept playing.

Not to mention the controls, the bosses, and nearly all of the levels except maybe the first one.

If anything I hate it more because I didn't grow up forcing myself to play it. TMNT2: The Arcade Game was my constant companion on snow days. I had to go back and emulate the first one - terrible move. How were the third and fourth ones on NES in comparison to the second?

Found a review of the 3 TMNT NES games, and one SNES:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqB1e7MlWN8

I forgot it was the underwater level that made me quit..D:

Towly on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    BUBBLE BOBBLE® (NES®, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 500 Wii Points): BUBBLE BOBBLE's release in 1986 introduced the two bubble dragons, Bub and Bob, and brand new play mechanics, with players defeating enemies by trapping them in bubbles and then popping them. Although the puzzle-action game can be beaten by clearing all 100 rounds, it also contains secret elements such as not being able to get the "true ending" in single-player mode; hidden commands that lead to secret rounds; and a ton of different items. These elements are some of the game's most memorable and important features. Each round even has different air currents that are not visible, so bubbles rise in unpredictable patterns. Aspects like forcing players to understand and utilize these different patterns while playing help make this a revolutionary game that is fun to play anytime.

Light Crusader™ (Genesis, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Animated Violence, 800 Wii Points): Each day, more good townspeople of Green Row have been mysteriously disappearing, and beleaguered King Weeden summons the knight Sir David to investigate. Armed with his wits and his sword, Sir David must find the cause of this strange evil and save the citizens of Green Row before things get any worse. Take the role of the brave knight in this action RPG and get to the bottom of the mysteries of Green Row as you fight enemies, solve puzzles and use your best combination of brains and brawn to save the kingdom.

TOP HUNTER (NEOGEO, 1-2 players, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and older-Cartoon Violence, 900 Wii Points): Take on the role of either Roddy or Cathy, bounty hunters in this side-scrolling action game set far in the future when humans have colonized space. But all is not well: Space pirates called the Klaptons are making their way through the galaxies, wiping out peaceful settlements along their path. This disgraceful behavior leads to them having a price on their heads, so now Roddy and Cathy must travel through four distinct worlds on a mission to defeat their leader, Captain Klapton. Both characters have retractable arms-used to grab enemies or other objects in the scenery-that can then be thrown at others to destroy them. Also, be on the lookout for rings or levers to pull, as this might reveal special bonuses. Further adding to the mix, the game uses a unique system where the action happens on two planes, with the player switching between them at will. Can you prove yourself worthy of the Top Hunter name and help save the universe?

Happy New Year.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    Tails CorraTails Corra Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'll probably get Bubble Bobble for the sake of nostalgia, but can anyone give me an opinion on Top Hunter? I remember seeing it in a magazine way back when and it looks kinda fun on video (sort of looks like a combination of Runstar and Metal Slug).

Tails Corra on
    Wii FC: 4136 3615 8283 3576
    Brawl: 3265 4738 2973
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Pffft. Happy New Year indeed. Buncha junk (or at least stuff I have never heard of before) for this gamer. I understand Bubble Bobble is probably a big deal for some people, but I never got into it as a kid.

And, more than a year after I thought we'd get it for sure, still no Vectorman in NA.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wish Nintendo would put a little more pizazz around their holiday VC releases. There's so many awesome fucking titles for the NES/SNES. How they've managed to skate around 99% of them is beyond me.

Shit, I'd be happy with Turok right now. TUROK!

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i still and always have that BUBBLE BOBBLE Theme Song stuck in my head. it's awesome. i think Bubble Bobble made me finally a Gamer. I played it on my Amiga 2000 in the old days by the way ;)

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I played the hell out of the first TMNT turtle game. I guess I was a glutton for punishment, but I loved the underwater level. My brother and I would see who could do it fastest without losing any life. It was a crazy ass game with enemies that did not make any sense, but still lots of fun.

Only game I picked up on VC so far is Tecmo Bowl. So much fun :)

Romero Zombie on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I have one Wii game and 10 VC games..

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I played the hell out of the first TMNT turtle game. I guess I was a glutton for punishment, but I loved the underwater level. My brother and I would see who could do it fastest without losing any life. It was a crazy ass game with enemies that did not make any sense, but still lots of fun.

Only game I picked up on VC so far is Tecmo Bowl. So much fun :)

It's a small thing, but I wish they could still have the license to all of the old time names. Everyone remembers Bo Jackson, but sometimes it's a struggle to bring up everyone's names.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Every. Damn. Time. I think of Clu Clu Land, I end up checking to make sure it was not, in fact, Bubble Bobble. I have no understanding of why I keep confusing these two. I don't think I've even played Bubble Bobble.

Elendil on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    Every. Damn. Time. I think of Clu Clu Land, I end up checking to make sure it was not, in fact, Bubble Bobble. I have no understanding of why I keep confusing these two. I don't think I've even played Bubble Bobble.

You should, it is a better game than Clu Clu Land.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wish I could be playing Blades of Steel right now. Stupid Work.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Bubble Bobble... my old nemesis....

I could NEVER beat the final boss. Cheap bastard.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I wish I could be playing Blades of Steel right now. Stupid Work.

GET THE PUCK!

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »

You should, it is a better game than Clu Clu Land.

You shut your mouth. You shut your filthy lying mouth.

Clu Clu land pretty much is my childhood.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I wonder if we'll ever get River City Ransom.

Pretty much anything from the Kunio-kun series would make me pants happy. I WUB ROO TECHNOS!

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have 2200 Wii points. Some games I'm considering that I'm pretty familiar with:

Breath of Fire 2
    Donkey Kong Country 3
    Wave Race 64
    Pokemon Snap
    Super Mario World

Games I'm considering that I'm not as familiar with:

Sonic 3 (is it any better than #2?)
    Shining Force (I enjoyed the sequel, is #1 any good?)
    Alien Soldier
    A good TG-16 or TGCD game (only one I have is Bomberman)

Wii games that I already have:
    Zelda: Link to the Past
    Beyond Oasis (didn't care for it much)
    Starfox 64
    Mario 64
    Sin & Punishment
    Super Metroid
    DKC2
    Bomberman
    Gunstar Heroes

Any suggestions?

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    RandomKitRandomKit Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I personally don't think Sonic 3 is better then Sonic 2 but it is still very much worth a buy.

RandomKit on
  • Options
    SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Any suggestions?

Ocarina of Time
    Super Mario Bros. 3
    Kirby's Adventure

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think S3&K is leagues better than Sonic 2 but I wouldn't buy Sonic 3 by itself.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    DuckterPepperDuckterPepper Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    i never understood the Sonic Games at all. And i really tried. Am i supposed to enjoy the speed? but then i always have the feeling i MISSED half of the level. It's very confusing to me. but i guess that's only me.

another question: i played metroid zero on the GBA, that was a remake of Metroid 1 and Super Metroid is Metroid 3, correct?

DuckterPepper on
    DuckterPepper

duckterpepper.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    is he really saying "get the puck"?

I always thought it was "shoot the pass", though I know that doesn't really make sense.

my new favorite thing about that game is that when a player yells from getting knocked over it's the same voice/tone as the announcer, like he's yelling as commentary on what's happening. at least that's how I think of it to enjoy myself even more.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    another question: i played metroid zero on the GBA, that was a remake of Metroid 1 and Super Metroid is Metroid 3, correct?

Yes. Zero Mission. Metroid 2 is the only one of the original 3 that hasn't been re-released or remade on another console.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Am I the only one that likes light crusader? Maybe it's just nostalgia of playing it in a buddies basement but I always really enjoyed it.

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    piccpicc Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I too wondered about this legendary mystery, but it's "Make the Pass." I know for certain because in the arcade version of Blades, the voices are a heck of a lot clearer.

picc on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What I want to know is when we will see NES Tetris. I'd kill to have a Tetris game with the original NES music and simple colors/backgrounds.

powersurge on
This discussion has been closed.