As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hopes for 2018?

calvinbjddcalvinbjdd Registered User regular
Hey all...

I am super-excited to have the full three day pass this year. Just curious about what other people are hoping to see and do with the return of PAX Unplugged.

Personally, I want to try another Mega-game (and hopefully the sign-up process will be a little less chaotic than last year) and check out more play-testing.

Best,
BGD

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I'm hoping to maybe play a D&D or other RPG game this year. Maybe a mega game, but that will likely fill quickly.

The biggest thing I want to do is socialize more. Spend more time playing with people from the forums, talking with developers, and demoing and playing games I don't own.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • BalbadosBalbados Milwaukie, ORRegistered User new member
    This will be my first PAX Unplugged and can hardly wait to play fresh games with new people. I really want to be blind sided a hidden gem of a game that I've never seen with crazy compelling mechanics and slick design. I must grow my collection!

Perspective is all that can define how infinitely huge or infinitely minuscule the Universe really is.
  • SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    I'm hoping the con's expectations (and therefore, plan of how many to run and how to handle sign-ups) for some of the more popular things (mega games, RPGs, etc.) are more in line with the reality of the situation. Last year, the only thing I could say negatively about the con was how they seemed blind-sided by how popular some things were, and didn't have enough slots for most people to get a chance to take part.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Schmulki wrote: »
    I'm hoping the con's expectations (and therefore, plan of how many to run and how to handle sign-ups) for some of the more popular things (mega games, RPGs, etc.) are more in line with the reality of the situation. Last year, the only thing I could say negatively about the con was how they seemed blind-sided by how popular some things were, and didn't have enough slots for most people to get a chance to take part.

Sign ups for anything was just a mess and the tournaments themselves need work as well.

For 2018, our plan is to just try and demo all the things we think look fun and rent as much as we can to try new games. I'm sure we will find a game or two to buy as well. I say I plan to stay away from tournies with how poorly they were run last year, but I bet I try to sign up for something anyway, hoping things are a bit more under control.

I hope there is some cool new tabletop Penny Arcade merch this year.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • drakuldragondrakuldragon Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    I worked at a booth last year. Really looking forward to being able to attend, and maybe host a panel!

b3dyisb2mkd7.png

DOTS RPG Project - Guild Master Jess | @dotsrpg

• comicchick81comicchick81 Registered User new member
    So excited to attend this year already bought my tickets! Debating where to cosplay or not. Do we know if there will be a Club PA meetup?

“I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    So excited to attend this year already bought my tickets! Debating where to cosplay or not. Do we know if there will be a Club PA meetup?
    If you are in Club PA, the meetup (if there is one) will be posted in the place where Club PA things are posted.

I would say that signs point to it being likely, but I certainly don't know for sure.

• bushbrianwbushbrianw Registered User new member
    I'm excited to spend more time in the hot games section. It was easily the most unique area compared to other cons I've been too being so close to Essen.

• JailbirdyJailbirdy OhioRegistered User regular

Will be doing videos of all you guys while there and some interviews with game designers. Hope to get in a few games and meet some of you!

Gamechefs LTD
    GT: Jailbirdy
  • ltgruntltgrunt Registered User regular
    I thought this would be an easy reply, but the more I think about it the more things I think of that I want to do this year. I want to sit down and play more D&D this year. And I'm hoping to pick up some minis and do some of the painting classes (assuming they're available again this year). And I want to try out some new games. We got three-day passes and I'm thinking all three days are going to be full up with stuff we want to do.

mkf6ad9.png
  • EL_Limon_CubanoEL_Limon_Cubano Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Just saw GenCon had old school MTG so hope Unplugged can host a event or two as well.

drhmrzipmoio.png
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I'm hoping to maybe play a D&D or other RPG game this year. Maybe a mega game, but that will likely fill quickly.

The biggest thing I want to do is socialize more. Spend more time playing with people from the forums, talking with developers, and demoing and playing games I don't own.

Been thinking about this a lot and I hope there's some more room for pickup games, and a faster checkout process for the lending library. I hope to find some groups looking for additional players, or some games that people will want to jump in and play when I have them checked out.

Also, bringing my wife and kids on Sunday, so I hope there are some fun workshops, learning new games, and fun, simpler games to demo on the floor so they enjoy the time. Of course this means I need to cram that much more into my Friday and Saturday.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • PowerNeinPowerNein Registered User regular
    I worked doing demos at GenCon for Asmodee and they said that based upon the attendance of the 2017 PAX Unplugged, they and all of their publishers are planning a much larger presence this year. Expect to see more demos and more product for sale in 2018

• TorivorTorivor Registered User new member
    @PowerNein That's awesome to hear. I went to PAX South the second year with a friend who went the first year and said that year two was significantly larger and more organized in all aspects over the first year. I mean, it makes sense, take some lessons learned, crunch the numbers and adjust accordingly. It almost (to me) seemed like last year at unplugged that they didn't dedicate enough space to publishers that wanted booths and could legitimately expand that greatly. It would be easy to move free play to another room and repurpose all that space for vendors and demos. There was even the one stage in the room that could be moved and it would literally double the size for vendors / publishers. I think, at this stage, that's my biggest hope as I love the experiences of some of the demos and to see all the games. The biggest challenge was that any demo at a booth blocked an entire walkway on the busy parts of Saturday (Friday / Sunday were much more manageable) and I expect the crowds to be much bigger this year with it not being during GenCon and not having a huge marathon in the city.

I'm very much looking forward to going again this year.

• NinalilangelNinalilangel Registered User new member
    Does anyone know of any after parties or dungeon crawls of a sort?