As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android: Netrunner and Project Nisei

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I went to Fantasy Flight’s Gen Con booth today in desperate hopes that if anywhere had Order & Chaos, it’d be here

And then they had literally no Netrunner stuff

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping they have... something at the Magnum Opus, but given the run on the game by scalpers and collectors, I highly doubt there will be any stock for them by then.

If they do, I'll see if I can help out the forum that got me into the game in the first place.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Motherf....

That feeling when you’re doing a quick deck count between rounds and realize that your opponent kept your agendas.

And they dropped.

Fffffff (I got loaners from a judge.)

At least both decks right now are 2-2 after round 4.

EDIT: He realized his mistake and brought them back, so yay!

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    I was just introduced to Netrunner, and I'm absolutely in love. (I'm super bad at it, but I love it.) I know now's not the greatest time to get into it with FFG pulling out, but it's too late now, the virus is in my system.

So, as the noobliest of noobs, I need some advice on a couple things:

1. What kind of beginner-friendly packs/expansions should I be looking into? Right now I only have the old-school Core set, so I figure at some point I should pick up the Revised Core. I've also heard that Reign and Reverie is a good pick, since it has a little bit of every Corp/Faction. Other than that, what should I look for? Should I pick my favorite Corp and Faction, and try to build those out? Or is there a particular cycle of Data Packs I should grab? (Note that I am nowhere near ready to do tournaments or anything serious, I still need constant reminders to do mandatory draw or pull cash off of PAD Campaign. :P)

2. What do you get for the Netrunner fan who has everything? I want to get a nice Christmas present for my friend who introduced me to the game. But he already has a ton of Android stuff, I couldn't even begin to catalog his collection to see what he might not have. I already got him the classic 90's Richard Garfield version last year, but I need a new idea. I thought maybe I could build him a cool custom travel case, that would easily fit his playmats, tokens, and decks when he goes to meetups and tournaments. My wife is an artist, and together I think we could make it look very cyberpunk, like something an actual Runner would use to carry their gear. What do you all think, is that something a Netrunner superfan might like?

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    R&R is great! that and the revised core are excellent pickups. I'd also strongly recommend grabbing as much of the latest cycle you can (Kitara) and if you can, one of the big boxes with the corp and/or runner faction you like the most in it

for someone who already has a crapton of stuff, get him some fancy tokens if he doesn't already have some, or some of the fan-made custom cards or IDs that exist (some of them are amazing)

a custom travel case would also be amazing. a friend of mine was given a wooden carry box for his decks and tokens etc with his favourite runner's logo engraved and coloured into the top. he treasures it greatly.

• Options
    Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    awsimo wrote: »
    I was just introduced to Netrunner, and I'm absolutely in love. (I'm super bad at it, but I love it.) I know now's not the greatest time to get into it with FFG pulling out, but it's too late now, the virus is in my system.

1. What kind of beginner-friendly packs/expansions should I be looking into? Right now I only have the old-school Core set, so I figure at some point I should pick up the Revised Core. I've also heard that Reign and Reverie is a good pick, since it has a little bit of every Corp/Faction. Other than that, what should I look for? Should I pick my favorite Corp and Faction, and try to build those out? Or is there a particular cycle of Data Packs I should grab? (Note that I am nowhere near ready to do tournaments or anything serious, I still need constant reminders to do mandatory draw or pull cash off of PAD Campaign. :P)

2. What do you get for the Netrunner fan who has everything? I want to get a nice Christmas present for my friend who introduced me to the game. But he already has a ton of Android stuff, I couldn't even begin to catalog his collection to see what he might not have. I already got him the classic 90's Richard Garfield version last year, but I need a new idea. I thought maybe I could build him a cool custom travel case, that would easily fit his playmats, tokens, and decks when he goes to meetups and tournaments. My wife is an artist, and together I think we could make it look very cyberpunk, like something an actual Runner would use to carry their gear. What do you all think, is that something a Netrunner superfan might like?

If you have the Original core the revised core isn't something you need to rush to get (though you will probably want it eventually to get the Corp agendas) there is a lot of overlap. Reign and Reverie is great for giving a little bit of everything and some interesting mechanics. The Creation and Control deluxe has a lot of bedrock solid neutral Runner stuff, and the Kitara cycle (the most recent series of datapacks) has a lot of solif neutral Corp stuff (and some interesting mechanics for all the factions). Beyond that its probably best to pick up packs with cards and themes you're interested in - factions and identities you like and so on.

I can't think of anyone who wouldn't want a custom carry case as long as its not too unwieldy :).

• Options
    I entered my second tournament today, and I'm performing remarkably consistently

Even with a difference of like 7 people between the two times, I still came in second to last both times

I'm like Babe Ruth, calling my extremely attainable shot

I'm really digging how Sportsmetal plays though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Shorty on
  • Options
    really happy about jacob and holly. don't really know any of the others

pretty curious about what experience the lead designer has, that'll be one of the big points for me on how nisei will go

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Are they just keeping things going or are they going to try to do new cards?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    So take it with a grain of salt, but there's a leaked MWL update floating around the internet.

CI IS (maybe) DEAD. About bloody time.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    it seems super super legit

also I really like the list

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Are they just keeping things going or are they going to try to do new cards?

new cards are in the future, but probably not for awhile

• Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    So take it with a grain of salt, but there's a leaked MWL update floating around the internet.

CI IS (maybe) DEAD. About bloody time.

Lots of good things happening there but it seems like the new best decks are super obvious? All hail our new (old) MaxX overlords I guess. Azmari and CtM were real strong and lose nothing.

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Also back to asset spam decks with Clone Suffrage Movement. Sure, I'll HHN every turn, no problem.

CSM, Stinson, and Mad Dash are the ones I'm most surprised about. Tapwyrm banned seems odd. Unsurprised at Zer0, CI, Moons, 24/7, or Rewiring. Mars for Martians, PU, and Hyperdriver being banned are kind of like, ok. Skorpios and Surveyor less surprising.

• Options
    aw man, I like playing Zer0

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Also back to asset spam decks with Clone Suffrage Movement. Sure, I'll HHN every turn, no problem.

CSM, Stinson, and Mad Dash are the ones I'm most surprised about. Tapwyrm banned seems odd. Unsurprised at Zer0, CI, Moons, 24/7, or Rewiring. Mars for Martians, PU, and Hyperdriver being banned are kind of like, ok. Skorpios and Surveyor less surprising.

It feels like a list that seeks to curb Negative Play Experiences but not care about Overpowered experiences; seeing it's addressing the bits of Anarch that induce rage but not the bits that make them substantially favoured vs Corps and other runners.

Edit: editing to be be clear I'm happy with them focusing on that first part over the second, as that only really matters for big events.

Dis' on
  • Options
    Honestly, the only thing I’m missing from that list is one of the bin breakers. (Probably Paperclip.) Those things are still pretty silly.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I'm not hugely bothered by Clone Suffrage Movement going to restricted.

They get none of the other super strong restricted cards, and the only particularly potent asset spam hhn spam decks atm are Gagarin (who just lost Museum, get fucked that deck) and CtM which is mostly only okay right now

m4m needed to go as it was basically the card that made tagme decks so strong except vs HPT

PU and Skorp are gross awful IDs that never should've been printed how they were, so that's fine

Zer0 being gone is like... god praise boggs

Anzekay on
  • Options
    Actually, I kind of wonder if Scarcity of Resources should make it onto restricted.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Actually, I kind of wonder if Scarcity of Resources should make it onto restricted.

just because it's hard to find doesn't mean you should ban reign & reverie

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular

just because it's hard to find doesn't mean you should ban reign & reverie

IIRC, NISEI has said that proxies will be legal at their events.

• Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    I've got one final regional and then Nationals coming up, and I've stupidly gone and bought a house right when I should be practicing for them.

I've got so little prep time left and am flailing around so wildly that I'm honestly considering taking Jesminder to Nats.

Jesminder.

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    awsimo wrote: »

Just an FYI but the everything is 2-4 times the base MSRP atm. Data Packs you MIGHT be able to get some for retail, but everything is damn expensive if you buy from a third party. So scour local shops (and let me know of they have the deluxe expansions)

Also there's a buying guide but it doesn't tell you WHY you want each pack.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    Epimer wrote: »

Jesminder.

Currently undefeated on j.net causal. Jesminder new meta.

• Options
    Epimer wrote: »
    I've got one final regional and then Nationals coming up, and I've stupidly gone and bought a house right when I should be practicing for them.

I've got so little prep time left and am flailing around so wildly that I'm honestly considering taking Jesminder to Nats.

Jesminder.

Everyone is flailing for nationals as there is no clue if the MWL will be live or not.

• Options
    I'm assuming it won't be, because I'm a pessimist.

• Options
    Jesminder with the DJ is loads of fun except for when you play MTI

• Options
    It seems like they should really come out and address the MWL thing if it's causing so much trouble with people's prep, even just to say "yes this is it, but it doesn't come into effect until such and such date" or that it's not final yet

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It seems like they should really come out and address the MWL thing if it's causing so much trouble with people's prep, even just to say "yes this is it, but it doesn't come into effect until such and such date" or that it's not final yet

The netrunner contract has been said in interviews to include clauses where they have to run official announcement stuff by wizards of the coast apparently...and given the ending of the license I don't think its WotC's priority :/

• Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I remember seeing my friend Derrick/GrimWalker come up with some nasty CI tricks. I hated those decks, because unless I just put myself into a vulnerable spot with Account Siphon, I couldn't whittle down his hand.

Good riddance.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Also somewhat pleased that Clone Suffrage Movement stayed banned. No one wanted you back!

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    Just sitting down getting ready to play in the Shadow of the Beanstalk RPG.

http://i.imgur.com/duHfEJS.jpg

How did this go by the way? I looked through the other character sheets that got posted and it looks promising.

• Options
    They’re releasing more Magnum Opus tickets on Tuesday

I was gonna go until I realized it’s a 3-day event

I can’t do that, I could do one day

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Technically it's a 2-day, there's just two different Day 1s. I believe there's a cut at the end of Day 1, then 3 more games and a cut to T16. But for something this big, yeah, it's at least a 2-day for the full tournament.

The event itself is Fri-Sun, but there's going to be a lot of stuff going on and even things happening on Thursday too.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    In case anyone hasn't seen it, looks like the unprinted Worlds champs cards are getting spoiled.

(imgur link for those who don't Facebook.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    In case anyone hasn't seen it, looks like the unprinted Worlds champs cards are getting spoiled.

Unfortunately there's no way anyone will get one unless they go to Magnum Opus.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Made top 16 at UK nationals :D !!!!

4/16 scots in the cut to boot!

Dis' on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    And lose both cut games in short order :(. Oh well for my first cut nationals aint bad.

Dis' on