As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Mint's a really easy switch from Windows.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm still using Solus on my gaming PC, and I still have no complaints.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    Mint's a really easy switch from Windows.

Especially, I have found, if you use Cinnamon.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Cinnamon is great.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Entaru wrote: »
    Cinnamon is great.

It also goes really good in coffee with a touch of sugar and milk. Put it in with the grounds though, it doesn't dissolve on its own.

Edit: I should read the thread title.

LD50 on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    SteamOS 3.0 is coming soon. I thought Steam boxes were dead? I'm not sure who this is for. 3.0 usually implies something more than a standard maintenance release.

• Options
    I should give Cinnamon a go at some point. I like the consistent experience of using MATE on both my desktop and laptop though, and my current laptop is too low end for me to comfortable switching it to Cinnamon.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Mate is nice as well.

You should give lxqt a shot sometime. It's pretty good and low resource.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I like xfce.

It’s boring.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Frem wrote: »
    SteamOS 3.0 is coming soon. I thought Steam boxes were dead? I'm not sure who this is for. 3.0 usually implies something more than a standard maintenance release.

Nah, steam boxes aren't dead, and the SteamOS is actually a decent distro. Gabe is still of the belief that M$ will fuck up royally again, and steam boxes hedge against related losses. They also hedge against M$ being able to swing their monopoly around and try to squeeze major distribution services like Steam and GOG, things M$ has a long history of doing.

Think of it like stock diversification.

Thawmus on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    So, I tried Manjaro i3 off of a live USB and it seems pretty cool if a little confusing in its responsiveness/the behaviour of certain windows

So I installed the whole deal aaaaand

Now I don’t have any of the settings that the live USB came with. How am I supposed to have a visually pleasing aesthetic for no effort if that is taken away from me?

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    So, I tried Manjaro i3 off of a live USB and it seems pretty cool if a little confusing in its responsiveness/the behaviour of certain windows

So I installed the whole deal aaaaand

Now I don’t have any of the settings that the live USB came with. How am I supposed to have a visually pleasing aesthetic for no effort if that is taken away from me?

What do you mean?

I just installed manjaro I3 and I had it come out exactly like the live USB.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    >_>

<_<

This wasn’t user error caused by having an old home directory at all...

• Options
    I just got multi-monitor set up.

Did some i3 Config editing.

Really digging pure I3 even if I have to upfront some config editing time.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    So, maybe this is a good place to ask this but... Why the push to Wayland?

It breaks screen recording, screen capture, remote display, and remote desktop which are important to virtual machines, media, and streaming. The only solutions seem to be programing it into DEs itself?
    It ties DMs and WMs together getting rid of a lot of choice: you can't, for example, use a tiling WM with your DE under Wayland (i3 + KDE being something that works very well once setup under X).

Remote desktop is terrible under Linux period - Windows does it so much better it's ridiculous.

Like it's ridiculous how right Microsoft gets it - I can walk away from my logged in machine, logon remotely and have the exact same desktop come down (and lock the machine I walked away from), then walk back and have everything come right back up and the performance is excellent.

You can't do this on Linux at all - well like, you kind of can, but it objectively performs worse.

Wayland is a big improvement because it acknowledges modern reality - everyone uses toolkits, no one writes to X directly (or they do the minimum they can) - and X has a big pile of hacks which don't work to make obvious things possible (i.e. different DPIs for different displays, seamlessly dragging windows between displays, V-sync for video, advanced stuff like manipulating the window composites - i.e. all compositing window managers under the hood are doing a bunch of weird screen scraping and virtual positioning in X to get something approaching sensible behavior).

X is objectively horrible and has basically been holding back Linux graphics for years.

• Options
    Why would I want to remotely log into a desktop?

Ssh and tmux are all I need.

Get off my lawn.

• Options
    I've been using X2GO for remote desktop for a long time now, it does everything I need. The only thing it doesn't work with is Unity, which is one of many reasons why I don't give any of my users "flat" Ubuntu. They get Mate or xfce, something that fuggin' works.

• Options
    The more I dig I to this the more I love it.

Do I want workspace 6 to start on monitor 3. I can.

Do I want to set a email to always open on workspace 3? Done.

Want a workspace to snap into focus on a window trigger? Yep.

Want one workspace to be tabbed at the window level? Also done and good.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I use x11vnc to remote into my linux server all the time and have zero problems. I do C# dev, web dev, and general game server management through my server.

Hell, just this last weekend I accidentally left the remote open when I went on vacation and when I came back, everything was still up and functional.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »

Nah, steam boxes aren't dead, and the SteamOS is actually a decent distro. Gabe is still of the belief that M$ will fuck up royally again, and steam boxes hedge against related losses. They also hedge against M$ being able to swing their monopoly around and try to squeeze major distribution services like Steam and GOG, things M$ has a long history of doing.

Think of it like stock diversification.
    SteamOS is also good because it provides a baseline/reference configuration/distro for developers (not using Unity engine) to port their games to Linux, that they absolutely know will work.
    There are 1000's of games that run natively on Linux now that would have been stuck on Windows without Valve's SteamOS initiative. And that's awesome, especially with the next version of Windows being rumoured to use a subscription model that many people are vehemently disliking (MS fucking up again).

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    especially with the next version of Windows being rumoured to use a subscription model that many people are vehemently disliking (MS fucking up again).

This rumor has been kicking around for years; it's practically FUD at this point. There's a Windows 10 subscription program coming for enterprise customers, the same customers who have been paying for volume licensing every year anyway. There's no indication any of that will apply to the next home version of Windows. Microsoft already has a steady revenue stream there with Office 365 and OneDrive subscriptions, along with Windows Store percentages.

Frem on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    As of now, there aren't even really any indications that there will be a "next" home version of Windows, at least not as a retail-boxed product. You'll just pay for a license when you buy/build your PC and get updates.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I decided to give Linux another shot, and installed Solus on my laptop last weekend. They said Budgie was a fairly close approximation of a traditional Windows desktop, and they were right.

I still have to jump through stupid Linux hoops (example - having to enter a paragraph's worth of text into a terminal to change your logon screen image), but outside of random irritations like that I have had a pretty nice experience so far. Roughly 99% of what I do with this machine is either browser based or Steam chat, so I haven't run into any issues with program compatibility.

I would like to mention that I would consistently run into a weird issue with this laptop under Windows 10 - whenever I would resume from any sort of standby/sleep the wifi card would be non-functional. It was an easy fix, just turn it off and back on again with the hardware switch on the machine itself, but it was weird. Linux did not have this problem, which I found amusing.

• Options
    As a fellow Solus user, I've found that most games work fine, but I have run into weird stuff when I get into using WINE and other things. Best advice I can give you is that if you do decide to do any Windows Emulation at all, use Lutris to get it done, the Solus developers seem to like it the most for some reason.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    So if you have a linux install and have some windows only steam games here's a fun thing to try out. New Steam Play.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410#announcements/detail/1696055855739350561

It's Wine/DXVK/etc but all you have to do is click install in steam.

Currently supported games in the beta:
    Beat Saber
    Bejeweled 2 Deluxe
    Doki Doki Literature Club!
    DOOM
    DOOM II: Hell on Earth
    DOOM VFR
    Fallout Shelter
    FATE
    FINAL FANTASY VI
    Geometry Dash
    Google Earth VR
    Into The Breach
    Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012
    Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013
    Mount & Blade
    Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword
    NieR: Automata
    PAYDAY: The Heist
    QUAKE
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
    Star Wars: Battlefront 2
    Tekken 7
    The Last Remnant
    Tropico 4
    Ultimate Doom
    Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Dark Crusade
    Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Soulstorm

You can also change a setting and try other games in your library.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    evilbob wrote: »
    So if you have a linux install and have some windows only steam games here's a fun thing to try out. New Steam Play.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410#announcements/detail/1696055855739350561

It's Wine/DXVK/etc but all you have to do is click install in steam.

Currently supported games in the beta:
    Beat Saber
    Bejeweled 2 Deluxe
    Doki Doki Literature Club!
    DOOM
    DOOM II: Hell on Earth
    DOOM VFR
    Fallout Shelter
    FATE
    FINAL FANTASY VI
    Geometry Dash
    Google Earth VR
    Into The Breach
    Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012
    Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013
    Mount & Blade
    Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword
    NieR: Automata
    PAYDAY: The Heist
    QUAKE
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
    Star Wars: Battlefront 2
    Tekken 7
    The Last Remnant
    Tropico 4
    Ultimate Doom
    Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Dark Crusade
    Warhammer® 40,000: Dawn of War® - Soulstorm

You can also change a setting and try other games in your library.

Well shit that's 3 titles right there that I actually own and I've always wanted to finally play Tropico 4. Damn, I was wondering if they'd ever do something like this. This is big.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Dawn of war is an awesome RTS as well.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Proton seems pretty amazing. I had no idea Valve was working with CodeWeavers on this.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Proton seems pretty amazing. I had no idea Valve was working with CodeWeavers on this.

For a brief moment I confused CodeWeavers with Transgaming. Transgaming was the one that added DRM to their ports and didn't contribute most of their code back to the Wine project. CodeWeavers are the good ones. Whew.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Yup. The only Transgaming I do is just me sitting down & playing games.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Steam Play is literally the cat's pajamas. The moment I found out it was a thing I got rid of Windows and installed Manjaro. I've been playing Dark Souls 3 on my PC now for two weeks with a PS4 controller through Bluetooth and I've never been happier. I'm actually using my PC again.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Steam Play is pretty amazing. There are games that I've never gotten to work on WINE that are just running seamlessly on this shit.

• Options
    I played company of heroes today on steam play and it ran perfectly. This is such a huge game-changer for me.

I've been using Linux regularly for probably 12-13 years as a "secondary" machine but if now I can just load up whatever game sans windows I see no reason to use windows at all.

I'm in the process of building my kid a pc and I was wondering about windows but if I can just use steam and maybe WINE here and there then that makes my life easy.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I decided to give Linux another shot, and installed Solus on my laptop last weekend.

Here is a one month update:

Everything still works. The only thing I miss from Windows is the Fn+Esc hotkey to turn my screen off (useful if I am listening to music or old radio shows in bed in the dark). I could probably find a way to replicate this functionality if I really tried.

The only real bullshit I've experienced so far was when I picked up a secondary hard drive caddy to replace my optical drive so I could add a second hard drive to my machine (my SSD is only 120GB and I wanted to add some more space). I threw in an old 160GB mechanical drive to test to make sure it worked, and formatted the new drive in FAT. When I tried to create a new Steam Library folder on the drive Steam kept bitching about read/write permissions, and they seemed to consistently revert to view only no matter how many times I changed the permissions. Reformatting the second hard drive in ext4 fixed this problem, but it kinda blows - if the drive is formatted in FAT than I could have popped it out and connected it to my desktop fairly easily to transfer large files.

Speaking of, Steamplay is rad. I'm limited in what I can play purely on system specs (I'm running a venerable Thinkpad T400 with a C2D P8400 @2.26GHz coupled with 8GB of RAM and a 256MB HD3470), but being able to play a bunch of older Windows games that are too new for DOSBox but too old for native Linux ports is pretty great.

• Options
    I have passed on my first linux machine to my little brother. Feels like the end of an era. Gonna miss that thing even though my new laptop is much nicer to use.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I read up about Steam/Proton, decided what the heck, and put Ubuntu 18.04 on my new PC build as the go-to noob friendly distro a couple of weeks ago.

Couldn't be happier. It was ridiculously quick and easy to install and get using, and with only light to moderate googling, I had nvidia drivers installed, steam installed, and most things working as they had been in Windows 7 a couple hours earlier. Took some more effort and help from a friend to get EVE online launcher working, but once that was done it was done. I was prepared to have to put some effort in, but it was about 5% as much work as I expected it to be. Apt-get is the business. The only ongoing problems I have now are that Civ V is kinda unstable, and Discord has a tendency to make Firefox crash sometimes if someone links a gif.

Also: I really like is how unobtrusive this OS is compared to windows. And it doesn't tell me I'm not allowed to do things, I like that a lot too.

• Options
    The discord full app is more stable than the web app.

Apt is indeed the Fucking business. I don't think I could ever fathom using a distro without apt.

• Options
    Pacman has suplanted apt for me.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Pacman is indeed civilization.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    tenor.gif