As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play - The Daikatana Demo!

EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
daikatanaboxdx2.jpg!

Ok! So I've heard all this hullabaloo over this game Daikatana. So everyone says it's bad. Well I figure I should find out for myself because I don't like to let other people form my opinions. It helps that I also have an unquenchable thirst for John Romero's semen. I mean, GameSpy gave it a 74/100, and a German game site called PC Player (who gave it a 76/100) had this to say:
Was lange währt, wird endlich - mittelprächtig. Trotz interessanter Einfälle und einer rasanten Hatz durch die Zeit ist Daikatana nicht der angekündigte Knaller.
so it can't be that bad, can it?

First of all, let's check the minimum system requirements:

Pentium 266
32 MB RAM
4 MB Open GL compliant Video Card

Ok, I've got a Pentium 3 clocked at 500MHz, 384MB RAM, and a 16MB ATi Rage! II, so I should be set!

Also, while I was poking around in the FAQs at PlanetDaikatana.com, I found this:
6. Why should I host a dedicated server?
Why not? If you've got the bandwidth, and you've got the machine that can handle it, you should most definitely host yourself a server. It's a win/win situation. The community wins because there is another place to play Daikatana online, and you win with the ladies, since no fine woman can resist a pick-up line like, "Hey...did I mention I run my own Daikatana dedicated server? Wanna see?"

Man oh man! I have got to play this game!

Ok, so I download the demo (at a hefty 104MB), and start the installer. Immediately, I see this:

installersmalljs0.png

Oh John Romero I am so ready!

Ok, we're installing! I am so excited!
dkfuckupeg1.png

What shit is this fuck?! I want to play Daikatana! God damn it John Romero you've screwed me again!

(The saddest part is this was really supposed to be a serious let's play for the Daikatana demo)

Einhander on

• ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I like it already! :lol:

Zenitram on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You came so close! Yet fell so far away.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Einhander wrote: »

What shit is this fuck?! I want to play Daikatana! God damn it John Romero you've screwed me again!

If it's any consolation, you're having the same reaction as people who DID play the game.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you get this sucker running and get past the first level with those five billion demon frogs, than you would have gotten farther than I did.

Godspeed, my friend.

Zxerol on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The programme error gods smile upon you this day. Be thankful. Be EVER SO FUCKING THANKFUL

Waka Laka on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you had started earlier, you could just have downloaded Gametap and played it for free until the 31.

Couscous on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is the best Let's Play of Daikatana possible.

Hylianbunny on
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    If you had started earlier, you could just have downloaded Gametap and played it for free until the 31.

I did that today, I played for 4 min. and then uninstall-ed it.

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This lets play is totally living up to the hype.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
    edited December 2007
    You should do a Let's Play for the Game Boy Color version. You can get it off of Romero's site.
    http://www.rome.ro/games_daikatana.htm

Couscous on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I also tried it on Gametap. Good God, it has to be one of the ugliest games I've ever played - that green dump you start out in is absolutely atrocious. I could hardly even tell where the enemies were.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Daikatana was released in 2000? Oh man, I remember getting it in 2000 or 2001 from CompUSA for $1 off of a bargain game table. I played for probably less than five minutes before thinking it wasn't worth the dollar I spent.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was looking at screenshots of the game and thought it looked neat. Then I saw that it was released in 2000. D: (Judging by the graphics, I was under the impression that it was from 1996, or something.)

I see this on GameTap a lot when I'm scrolling through the PC games, but I always avoid it because people say that it's bad. But no one ever explains why it's bad. Anyone care to elaborate?

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    edited December 2007
    AaronKI wrote: »
    I was looking at screenshots of the game and thought it looked neat. Then I saw that it was released in 2000. D: (Judging by the graphics, I was under the impression that it was from 1996, or something.)

I see this on GameTap a lot when I'm scrolling through the PC games, but I always avoid it because people say that it's bad. But no one ever explains why it's bad. Anyone care to elaborate?

Horrible story. You have two AI companions with the intelligence of a doorknob. The game is really brown. It is really long. The game sends a ton of crappy enemies at you. The enemies suck.

Couscous on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Also, you have to reload whenever a companion dies. Which is often.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited December 2007
    You are only given a few saves per level so you can't save right before every single battle in which the AI will die.

Couscous on
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Daikatana Adventures (GBC)
    (blame titmouse)

74747646lz8.png
    The title screen. Hitting start is a bad idea.

53477981ci8.png
    Me too, little pixel-man... me too.

26407367fg3.png
    Your ancestor made a really powerful sword, and then decided to throw it under Mount Fuji, and now some other dude found it and used it's magical power to travel through time and pretty much just ripped off Biff's character in Back to the Future 2.

98275417rb9.png
    Ok there is an earthquake or something and some dudes are attacking and now I'm in a sewer fighting what I'm assuming are alligators but they look like ducks.

Ok, I'm done with this game.

Einhander on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    AaronKI wrote: »

Oh my, there are just so many things wrong with it, and I shall just be going from what I saw in the LP of the full game on the SA forums.

1. There's an abundance of green in the first chapter. Everything is green. The water, ground, sky, enemies, bullets from your first gun, all green. Outside of that, prepare for brown brown brown.

2. Your teammates are dumb as bricks and will only get themselves killed. In fact they're so dumb that you actually have to leave them behind most of the time because they can't even go through the levels "puzzles", which solely consist of going through an air duct they won't use and then opening a door/elevator. One section has some jumps over lava though.

3. The characters are racist as all hell. The african-american guy (to be politically correct) is called Superfly Johnson. The asian girl has an asian name I guess, but the actress speaks with the old stereotypical asian "accent", commonly seen in WW2 Looney Tunes episodes.

4. Except for about 4 weapons, every single weapon can hurt you in some way. I am not kidding. The first gun hurts you if used underwater. the grenade gun doesn't fire the shot far enough away from you, and the Daikatana steals all the exp so you can't level up. About the only weapons you want to use are the rockets, discus, and pistol.

5. The amount of arrogance the game shows is astounding. Quit messages include things like "Suck it down" and John Romero still insists that it's an "expert" FPS and anybody who doesn't like it is a moron.

6. THE NAME OF THE FUCKING GAME IS BIG SWORD.

Is there any point in continuing?

Gilder on
    edited December 2007
    There was an actual Let's Play on the SA forums? Jesus...

Einhander on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This thread for "Best LP of 2007"? I think it has a shot.

citizen059 on
    edited December 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    There was an actual Let's Play on the SA forums? Jesus...

Yeah, and most of it was pointing out everything wrong with the game. It was done in co-op play and on the second level, they already had to cheat to get by because the game glitched and the door right at the start didn't open. So every time they died, they had to no-clip through the door just to get into the actual level.

Gilder on
    edited December 2007
    Morbid curiosity has caused me to start downloading it on GameTap.

18 minutes to go. God, help me.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The SA one was awesome, just a shame I couldn't get back to the thread (not a member) before they put the final videos up. I laughed so hard.

edit: also, I hope you like green.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Romero can suck my dick.

Was the N64 version any better?

Waka Laka on
    edited December 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Romero can suck my dick.

I heard it was really foggy and blurry, but it didn't have the AI companions.

Couscous on
    edited December 2007
    The levels were also shortened and there were no voices in any of the cut-scenes. So yes, the N64 version was much better.

Gilder on
    edited December 2007
    That's funny, because...
    The N64 version of Daikatana was abysmal. 'Nuff said.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
    edited December 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Romero can suck my dick.

I heard it was really foggy and blurry, but it didn't have the AI companions.

Getting rid of the AI companions is a good idea, that way you don't have to baby morons and concentrate on swimming through the shit.

I'm going to see if I can track it down and do a comparison.

Waka Laka on
    edited December 2007
    32270232rd4.png

14006923lo2.png

62524680bq3.png

60442970ln9.png

Now to go warm up the brain bleach.

Einhander on
  • FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shortest LP ever?

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Best LP ever.

Zxerol on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    wow, this game is so damn cocky. the setup screen tells you to prepare yourself?

I don't see how a game this bad could ever have been marketed so poorly. John Romero and his cockeyed stare still see this game as awesome?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited December 2007
    Come to think of it, where did the marketers for the game end up when the studio folded?

Couscous on
    edited December 2007
    Hopefully the unemployment line

Einhander on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Best LP ever.

So good, I used Google Image Search, MS Paint, and the Glittery Image maker at imageshack for this award, the 2007 Let's Play of the Year.

trophyxodp1.gif

citizen059 on
    edited December 2007
    I'd like to thank John Romero for creating Daikatana, and for my awesome computer for not allowing me to play it.

Einhander on
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    IIRC the N64 version of the game actually came out I think a year before the PC version as well.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited December 2007
    Nocren wrote: »
    IIRC the N64 version of the game actually came out I think a year before the PC version as well.

Wikipedia says the N64 version was released three months after the PC version.
    I'd like to thank John Romero for creating Daikatana, and for my awesome computer for not allowing me to play it.
    Lies. Daikatana is awesome.

Couscous on
  • zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nocren wrote: »

Wiki states it came out 3 months later.

*edit: Damn titmouse and he's speed

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png