As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Conceptual Leakage

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited August 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Conceptual Leakage

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    What is this video game talk doing in my dSports comic?

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    AndreyFantasy&Sci-FiLoverAndreyFantasy&Sci-FiLover Registered User regular
    I agree, it will just take some years until another Doom game comes out and Eternal is forgotten, what a clickbait! It is Doom: ETERNAL!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Disney Infinity's demise was a mixed bag for me. I jumped in when Marvel and Star Wars figures became a thing, and I found out the game had light RPG elements where you leveled up your characters and picked skills. Then I found out that you get bonus XP for every figure you own. My carefree spending habits went into overdrive... Probably a good thing it got canned, for my wallet anyway.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    zeromhzeromh Registered User regular
    Hah, I always complain out this very thing when it comes to Japan's bullet trains.

The first ever bullet train was named "Echo." ...A bit of a stretch in terms of the speed comparison, but not completely nuts. So what did they name the second bullet train? LIGHT. Yes, they went straight to the universal speed limit - the one thing that nothing can ever be faster than.

Years later, the next model of bullet train on that line was named "Wish." I award points for creativity, but yeah... they boxed themselves into a corner with those names.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    zeromh wrote: »
    Hah, I always complain out this very thing when it comes to Japan's bullet trains.

The first ever bullet train was named "Echo." ...A bit of a stretch in terms of the speed comparison, but not completely nuts. So what did they name the second bullet train? LIGHT. Yes, they went straight to the universal speed limit - the one thing that nothing can ever be faster than.

Years later, the next model of bullet train on that line was named "Wish." I award points for creativity, but yeah... they boxed themselves into a corner with those names.

"Quantum", as in entanglement. Unless I'm using that wrong.

• Options
    PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    Don't forget Bioshock Infinity, in the list of "game series that ended with a temporal superlative".

• Options
    BioShock: Infinite works as a title, though. The "infinite" refers to the parallel realities.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Tycho is probably still upset with the whole EverRoast Chicken deal:

tJHq17g.jpg

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2017/07/05

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    If I recall he had problems with WoW having any ores better than eternium as well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    If I recall he had problems with WoW having any ores better than eternium as well.

He lists this amongst his many grievances in the newspost.

• Options
    PronkPronk Registered User new member
    This isn't even anything new for Bungie series. Old timers may remember Marathon Infinity.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    nobody tell him about Final Fantasy

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    BioShock: Infinite works as a title, though. The "infinite" refers to the parallel realities.

Also, if I recall correctly, the storyline and name were made up partly to bungle any attempts at further sequelizing the series. In Bioshock's case, the "Infinite" tag being problematic for the franchise was super intentional. I'm assuming that isn't the case for Doom.

I'm hoping that isn't the case for Doom. If the first game was any indication, I'll buy however much more Doom they want to serve up to me.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    nobody tell him about Final Fantasy

Or Duke Nukem Forever

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    This shows how poorly I pay attention. I hadn't even acknowledged that Disney Infinity wasn't around in my local Best Buy anymore, but now that this comic came along I realized, "Hey yeah...it hasn't been around for a while now!"

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    DNF referred more to its length of development by the end, which was accurate enough.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    How put everroast in mouth?

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    Tycho is probably still upset with the whole EverRoast Chicken deal:

tJHq17g.jpg

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2017/07/05

It would be used in a superlative sandwich of course.

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    EverRoast chicken is one of the 666 separate meats on a Broodwich.

• Options
    E.Coyote wrote: »
    EverRoast chicken is one of the 666 separate meats on a Broodwich.

Pro tip: remove the tomatoes.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    I am nothing but glad for the advent of EverRoast, as it led to the PA PUBG stream appellation of "NeverRoast".

• Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    iD actually admitted that DOOM Eternal is a byproduct of their previous mistake naming the last DOOM. The last game was a soft reboot (it's heavily implied that the Doom Slayer is the Doom Marine from the first two games), so they just called it DOOM, but that led to the unfortunate habit of people calling it Doom 2016 to differentiate from the original Doom (though I just call it DOOM - all caps is the new one). So they didn't want to call the next one Doom 2 since it would have the same issue but worse: Doom 2 2019.

They probably should have given it a subtitle from the get go, like the last Tomb Raider series did with Legends, or the last Ratchet and Clank series did with Future. But it's too late for that now.

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    They should have just added an extra 'O'.

What the hell go balls out and add TWO extra 'O's! And some exclamation points, and a little pirate flag, if there is room.

DOOOOM!!!

• Options
    DOOM II 2019: The Official Sequel to DOOM 2016

Just crank down the font size a bit and it'll fit nicely on the cases.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Not gonna lie, the Everoast is some damn fine lunch meat.

• Options
    TalonSETalonSE Registered User regular
    I would have called this comic "Chrono Triggered." Eh? Eh? Get it?

I'll see myself out.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    That (Sand)Which Can Eternal Lie

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    TalonSE wrote: »
    I would have called this comic "Chrono Triggered." Eh? Eh? Get it?

I'll see myself out.

I got it and I snickered.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    KredKred Registered User regular
    zeromh wrote: »

Meh, they can always name the next one Ludicrous.