As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    I like big phones and I cannot lie.

sjl6yhqfxai0.jpg

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I'm having a weird music issue: just bought a Pixel 2XL, moved all my music to it from iPhone. Files show up, and last night I was able to listen with wired headphones using the Amazon music app just fine using the Offline Music option. This morning I paired my phone with the Bluetooth in my car, and music refused to play in any app. Songs would "start" but a few seconds in I'd get an error saying there was a problem with the file. Anyone seen something like this before?

Update: The Apple Music app is working flawlessly and already has my library, so ironically enough Android may get me to subscribe to an Apple service I've avoided since it came out

godmode on
  • Options
    Alright, now I'm having another problem...neither of my computers, Windows or Mac, are able to recognize the internal storage of the Pixel XL2. It's been a good 7 years since I last had an Android phone, but I used to be able to just plug it in and browse the file system.
    I did some brief googling, made sure drivers were fine on the PC, restarted some stuff, tried different ports, nothing worked. Some internet folks were recommending third party tools for stuff like this. Could someone recommend a good third-party file browser that won't fill my computer and phone with viruses?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Alright, now I'm having another problem...neither of my computers, Windows or Mac, are able to recognize the internal storage of the Pixel XL2. It's been a good 7 years since I last had an Android phone, but I used to be able to just plug it in and browse the file system.
    I did some brief googling, made sure drivers were fine on the PC, restarted some stuff, tried different ports, nothing worked. Some internet folks were recommending third party tools for stuff like this. Could someone recommend a good third-party file browser that won't fill my computer and phone with viruses?

Dumb question, when you plug in the phone, are you poking the notification that pops up on the phone to tell it to let the computer access the files? By default it'll just charge the phone (on my phone (pixel 2) at least, I don't know if there's a setting that changes its default behavior)

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    I didn't get a notification, actually. I unlocked the phone and plugged it in, but it just sits there. Is there a setting in the phone OS to allow computer syncing or something?

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Hey Android thread. I have an old phone, I can't afford a new one, what is the latest version of Android I can upgrade to if I root it and install custom firmware?
    Will all of the hardware on my phone be supported? Sensors, camera, microphone etc?

joppj50au6u7.png

As you can see, 2016 patch-level, so lots of security exploits are out there!

And are there any good ADB tutorials that you could recommend?
    I take it that it's basically like SSH?

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I didn't get a notification, actually. I unlocked the phone and plugged it in, but it just sits there. Is there a setting in the phone OS to allow computer syncing or something?
    Hmm. No clue where in settings to go to manually browse to it, try searching settings for "USB", that gets to the appropriate settings on my pixel 2. Everything was greyed out, probably because I'm not plugged in

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018

slide down the notification shade, there should be a "charging over USB" notification. click it to go into the USB settings, and then in there select file transfer

you may have to turn on USB debugging first (search for USB in settings)

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Naphtali wrote: »
    That shouldn't be necessary. As for @godmode have you looked at the docs? They have some Mac-specific instructions, but that'll also cover your Windows questions.

Are you using the cable that came with the phone?

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

slide down the notification shade, there should be a "charging over USB" notification. click it to go into the USB settings, and then in there select file transfer

Except for USB debugging the above should be true/accurate.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Hey Android thread. I have an old phone, I can't afford a new one, what is the latest version of Android I can upgrade to if I root it and install custom firmware?
    Will all of the hardware on my phone be supported? Sensors, camera, microphone etc?

[im g]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/s3/joppj50au6u7.png[/img]

So, honestly the best place to look for this would be the XDA forums. If someone's gotten something newer running on the Moto G, it'll be there.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    That shouldn't be necessary. As for @godmode have you looked at the docs? They have some Mac-specific instructions, but that'll also cover your Windows questions.

This. Are you sure it's a data cable?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

i would say the odds of a USB-C cable being power only and not data capable are about as close to zero as you can get without me being able to definitively say "no such cable exists"

• Options
    I tried it with both the included cable (usb-c to usb-c) to Mac, and a generic usb-c to usb-a cable to PC.
    But I'll try what Naphtali suggested and the linked documents. Thank you for the tips!

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Zilla360 wrote: »

joppj50au6u7.png

Assuming this is the original Moto G (2013), it looks like there are builds of 8.1 out for it, but if you want something a bit smoother I'd probably do Lineage 14.1, which is based on 7.1:

https://download.lineageos.org/falcon

The install instructions seem pretty comprehensive:
    https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/falcon/install

(And anywhere it says GApps are optional, keep in mind that they aren't really optional unless you're an F-Droid purist. For that device I would do the Micro or Mini package when you go to choose - most everything else can be installed from the Play Store.)

a5ehren on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular

I had this issue with my Pixel XL. Turns out, it only recognizes it in one of my 6 USB ports. I don't know the root cause of that but that was the only solution that worked for me.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

i would say the odds of a USB-C cable being power only and not data capable are about as close to zero as you can get without me being able to definitively say "no such cable exists"

Pixel XL. missed that

I'm doing bad lately. :/

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    i realized i never thanked wunderbar for the suggestion previously, so thanks!. i have a different question this time though: anyone familiar with trying to cast from their phone to their desktop? the goal here is to try and stream things from an app and record it with obs. i've begun looking into bluestacks and possibly some alternatives on that end but if there is native functionality to mirror from android --> windows (8.1) that'd be preferable obviously. everything i can find seems to indicate that it specifically wants another google related device

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Anyone having anomalous battery drain on their phones post Android 9.0? My Pixel 2 is just fucking sloughing off battery lately, somehow it burned 6% in 20 minutes and all I used it for was music in the car to work, and when you check the battery history it still doesn't show everything (you have to click through two additional menus and then it only shows App & bluetooth battery usage). It's steadily been getting worse all week in this same vein so I don't even know.

That new "apps are running normally" indicator on the battery screen is additionally infuriating. Clearly it isn't, or its the system apps (which don't show up anymore so)! I'm debating on turning off adaptive battery to see if that's the cause.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    is there a way to change the gmail app appearance? While a dark theme would be nice, I just don't like the bright red.

I was using a different email app that could i think, but it wasn't syncing great with my work email through google

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I have not had any battery issues at all so far (the opposite really) on my pixel 1.

I think switching off adaptive battery is a good first troubleshooting step.

• Options
    mts wrote: »
    is there a way to change the gmail app appearance? While a dark theme would be nice, I just don't like the bright red.

I was using a different email app that could i think, but it wasn't syncing great with my work email through google

Nope.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    mts wrote: »

Substratum should do it, I believe.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Related: a decent number of Pixel XL owners are reporting their phones are no longer fast charging in Pie, even with all the charging gear from the box.

It's the main reason I haven't upgraded yet.

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    Mine still works!

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »

sjl6yhqfxai0.jpg

@a nu start What phone is that?

The greatest tragedy of all time befell me at the start of 2017 when I dropped my Note 3 on the bathroom floor and cracked the screen, thus rendering me morally incapable of continuing to look down on people with cracked screens.

Since the Note 7 was burning up the headlines I couldn't get a new Note so I ended up buying a Galaxy J5 which was very cheap and actually satisfied my needs.

But I was looking forward to the Note 8, right up until the price was announced. I hoped for a sale up to Christmas but that didn't happen.

I'm thinking about a Note 9, but have heard rumours that Samsung has been holding back really nice tech for next year's models, to make sure it's ready.

Like you I like my phone's big boned but I also really like to have a bezel to protect the screen a bit since I don't like cases.

Your phone looks a bit like the Huawei Mate 10 Lite I'm almost about to buy but bigger.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    If you're not liking the Note 8's price, you're really not going to like the Note 9's - $999 for 6GBs RAM, 128GB storage or $1250 for 8GBs RAM and 500GBs storage.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    How would that thing even fit in your pocket!? My pixel (first gen) is dying a slow death with the battery not making 6 hrs of I have podcasts running all shift long at work, through earphones. I used to get 10 hrs but alas, I done messed up by keeping it on charge during the day whilst I slept. I am in the market for a new phone and was thinking note 9 but I need it to have a good battery life. Pixel 2, S9 or others are also viable options but I'd like some help on it.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    How would that thing even fit in your pocket!? My pixel (first gen) is dying a slow death with the battery not making 6 hrs of I have podcasts running all shift long at work, through earphones. I used to get 10 hrs but alas, I done messed up by keeping it on charge during the day whilst I slept. I am in the market for a new phone and was thinking note 9 but I need it to have a good battery life. Pixel 2, S9 or others are also viable options but I'd like some help on it.
    Any reason you aren't getting the battery replaced?

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I saw something that seemed too bonkers to be true, but I tried it...

How come I've only just heard that an official Xbox 360 wireless controller adapter for Windows works perfectly with an Android phone? Plug it into a USB-C adapter, plug that into the phone, sync the controller and go.

Brilliant!

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Any reason you aren't getting the battery replaced?

My contact is up in October anyway so I figured I could just get a new phone for roughly the same amount I'm paying now.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

How come I've only just heard that an official Xbox 360 wireless controller adapter for Windows works perfectly with an Android phone? Plug it into a USB-C adapter, plug that into the phone, sync the controller and go.

Brilliant!

At least theoretically, you should be able to connect the Bluetooth version as well.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »

Brilliant!

At least theoretically, you should be able to connect the Bluetooth version as well.

The Bluetooth version of the Xbox One controller works fine, I think the surprise here is that there are drivers "in the box" of android that work with the Xbox 360 wireless adapter.... which I would have never thought of in a million years.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I remembered reading something about the Bluetooth equipped version of the Xbox One controller having some sort of screwy button layout problem with Android for reasons unknown. I'll have to try it and see. PS4 controllers are apparently fine too - not sure about PS3 ones.

But yeah, the 360 wireless adapter support must be baked in or something - to paraphrase that old Apple slogan, it just worked. Pretty astonishing.

Jazz on
  • Options
    a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Nought wrote: »
    a nu start wrote: »

sjl6yhqfxai0.jpg

a nu start What phone is that?

It's the Xiaomi Mi Max 3. The Mi Max 2 has the best battery life around, so I expect this one to be up there. Great "mid-range" phone, if you can deal with MIUI.

Number One Tricky
  • Options
    I still need some anecdotal support that Pie won't remove Quick Charge from my Pixel XL before I install it.

The TLDR version I distilled is that for whatever reason, Pie is allowing a higher voltage but lower current; which by my understanding is causing the batteries to not charge quickly (because iirc QC works by boosting the current for a period of time).

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I still need some anecdotal support that Pie won't remove Quick Charge from my Pixel XL before I install it.

The TLDR version I distilled is that for whatever reason, Pie is allowing a higher voltage but lower current; which by my understanding is causing the batteries to not charge quickly (because iirc QC works by boosting the current for a period of time).

I'm not sure exactly what is going on, but QC (and USB-PD, actually), use increased voltage much more than currents.

for example, Quickcharge 4.0 dynamically adjusts the voltages from 3.6V all the way up to 20 V, but only 2.5 and 4.6A are supported for current.

USB-PD is similar in that the lower wattages use 3A with varying Voltages, but the higher wattages use 5A current but with higher voltage. so I have a 27W USB-PD charger and the profiles are 5V/3A and 9V/3A, but the top end of the spec scale up to 20V/5A to get to the 100W max for USB-PD.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    I tried a few experiments with an Xbox 360 controller over the wireless adapter, an Xbox One controller over Bluetooth, and a gamepad tester app.

The 360 controller was flawless, except for the relative clunkiness of having the adapter and a USB-C adapter hanging off the phone. Everything responded exactly as it was supposed to.

The One controller connected fine over Bluetooth, and mostly worked, but the right trigger didn't respond at all, and the Back button worked as the Android back button rather than as the controller button on the tester. It also didnt work at all when I tried it wired through the USB-C adapter - whereas it works fine wired on PC.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

I can confirm that the issue is real. Basically all of my USB-C chargers besides the one that came with the PXL stopped doing "charging rapidly". I think it will be fixed in 9.1 when the P3 comes out, for what it's worth.

• Options
    Ok, that's what I figured.

I was able to dig up part of a Reddit post that detailed this (and there's an article on Android Authority). Excerpt:
    After testing with a Satechi USB C power meter and a 45W USB C charger, I've found that the XL will claim to be rapid-charging when accepting 9V at 1.5A, which is still less than the old 5V/3A earlier rapid charging. When presented with 5V, the phone seems to max out at 0.75A, which is horribly slow.