As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Can't you do a pass & play? It might take months, but might still be fun.

EL+expacs is a shitton of content, not sure how they hold up to each other. I would expect EL to be more complicated at this point.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    hmmmmmmmmm fanatical is doing Rise and Fall for ~15usd (CA$19.89)

Might pick it up

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    hmmmmmmmmm fanatical is doing Rise and Fall for ~15usd (CA$19.89)

Might pick it up

I grabbed it on sale recently (forget where from) and it definitely is a nice change to the base game. I still hate districts though....

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Rise and Fall is a good refinement of the base game, comparable roughly to previous “middle” expansions

the biggest criticism I've read is that the AI is still pretty stupid; they have improved it somewhat (particularly as it pertains to trading resources), but if that doesn't bother you (or you're mostly in for the multiplayer anyway) then it's worth getting

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Rise and Fall is a good refinement of the base game, comparable roughly to previous “middle” expansions

the biggest criticism I've read is that the AI is still pretty stupid; they have improved it somewhat (particularly as it pertains to trading resources), but if that doesn't bother you (or you're mostly in for the multiplayer anyway) then it's worth getting

I don't know, I still can't get a friendly AI to trade me a lux for a lux, which was a standard trade in civ 5. They want absurdly imbalanced deals for luxuries IMO.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »

I don't know, I still can't get a friendly AI to trade me a lux for a lux, which was a standard trade in civ 5. They want absurdly imbalanced deals for luxuries IMO.

in lots of situations that actually makes good gameplay sense though; especially early in the game you don't actually need that many amenities to keep your cities growing (you're much more likely to be limited by housing), and if the opponent's cities are bigger than yours it's pretty easy for them to realize more growth as a result of the transaction than you do. If a civ has enough amenities to keep up with its housing the need for more is pretty limited.

the AI actually does start trading more generously for amenities later in the game when it starts to need them to keep cities growing

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    So Civ6 stuff is on sale this week on Steam. I have the base game, but I never really tried it and I've stuck with Civ5 so far. Looking up a few posts, it seems that Rise and Fall doesn't change too much from the 6 formula. Anybody want to give me a rundown on what they like about 6 (and RaF) compared to 5? And whether I should attempt to learn the game without buying RaF?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Civ6 is a lot of beautiful systems that the AI is not good at handling. Definitely get Rise and Fall if you're going to try it, it's more fun for sure.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Ringo wrote: »
    So Civ6 stuff is on sale this week on Steam. I have the base game, but I never really tried it and I've stuck with Civ5 so far. Looking up a few posts, it seems that Rise and Fall doesn't change too much from the 6 formula. Anybody want to give me a rundown on what they like about 6 (and RaF) compared to 5? And whether I should attempt to learn the game without buying RaF?

I like that civs are generally more unique and characterful, even if the agenda system is annoying sometimes. I really like the builder system. I like the cards system over just having bonuses stack forever.

RaF just makes everything a bit better. The holden/dark ages are a good mechanic that meshes well with the existing mechanics. I would definitely get it.

Civ 5 still is probably a more polished game, though, but I find it hard to go back. Civ 5 I always found there were times I was just marking time, civ 6 there’s always something to do.

I would also get the steel and thunder: unit expansion mod. It is one of those things that absolutely should be part of the base game. The steel and thunder: unique units is ok but not really necessary (I don’t use it just because sometimes I play with 3rd party civs and don’t want some civs to have an extra unit when the 3rd party ones do not). There are some other good mods out, but that’s really one that should have been in the main game to the point I don’t really think anyone should play without it.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Can you link it and provide a blurb of what it does? I haven't played civ6 in ages, so I need your input in order to add it to the OP.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Some mods I use:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1292617460

Steel and Thunder Unit Expansion: By default, unit types (anti-cav, light cavalry, seige, etc) have an age gap between upgrades. This mod fills in some of those gaps, and makes some minor balance changes to accommodate the additions, so that the player has more options and the AI can keep its units up to date better.

For example, by default, for melee infantry you have swordsman --> musketman --> infantry. So it's not uncommon for swordsmen to be running around into the gunpowder era before an upgrade becomes available, or musketmen to be fighting beside modern tanks and infantry. This mod makes the upgrade sequence swordsman -->longswordsman -->musketman --> rifleman -->infantry, more like Civ 5, so units can stay more up to date. All unit categories have similar additions, it ends up feeling a lot more like civ 5's upgrade sequences. There is also a companion mod which adds an additional unique unit for every civ, but I feel it is a bit less essential.

Sukritact's resources:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1150492115

Adds a few more resources, including Camels, Gold, Obsidian, etc. I think this is a good balance of variety without overdoing it, and like his work in general.

He also has some new natural wonders in his workshop which are good as well (grand canyon is one off the top of my head). Also 2 new animated leader civs in Iceland and Gauls, they are very nice but probably a bit unbalanced.

A few random bug fix mods by Fearsunn:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1333457772
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1386554385
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1387045386

Those are what I can remember using off the top of my head, I will check when I get home and see if there is anything else I really recommend.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Some Mods I use and would recommend: (All steam workshop links)

Combat and Gossip Log
    Moves the gossip and combat messages from a somewhat hard to read floating text to windows in the top left of the screen (under the science/culture info)

Quick Start
    Removes the annoying 2k and firaxis pop ups and takes you right to the game menus when you start Civ6

Numpad Unit Controls
    Name kind of says it all.

Double Natural Wonders
    Just doubles how many wonders will be on the map.

Buffed Natural Wonders
    or
    Terra Mirabilis
    The first just adds extra resources to wonder outputs, while the second adds 13 wonders and adds a civ wide bonus to any civ that controls the wonder (or at least 1 tile of the wonder for a multi tiled wonder).

Extended Diplomacy Ribbon
    Adds info to the top panel of the game screen so you don't have to go into the diplomacy screen to see, for example, how many luxuries a civ has.

Civitas Resources
    Adds 4 new resources, pairs well with Sukritacts resource mod

Edit: Gold Resource
    Just adds the Gold resource that is in the DLC that includes Australia, but for some reason firaxis only had the resource appear in the Outback Tycoon scenario. Gold is also a part of Sukritact's resource mod, but his has gold add +2gold and +1Culture while the Gold from this mod adds +4gold (1 more than Silver's +3gold).

Civitas City-States
    Adds 40 city-states and 4 new city-state types (Agricultural, Consular, Entertainment, and Maritime)

Population Notification
    Lets you know when a city gains or loses. Mod maker also has separate mods for notifications for religion, border changes, when deals with another civ end, and when a barbarian camp spawns.

Historicity++
    Small changes to make names and info more historically accurate. Also changes the district help text to be more helpful

Policy Manager
    Adds a better way to select which policy you want to use.

Edit: While getting these links I saw a new mod, New Random Agendas
    Claims to adds 40 new agendas for the leaders to randomly use. No idea how effective or good they are, but I am intrigued.

Veevee on
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Is there any mod that make an actually useful list of cities?
    Preferably with the possibility to change production from the list.

Ivar on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Ivar wrote: »
    Is there any mod that make an actually useful list of cities?
    Preferably with the possibility to change production from the list.

Not that I've seen on the steam workshop. It's not the only place for Civ6 mods, but it is the only place I look.

There is a Production Queue mod, though. That help?

Veevee on
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    lol sharks as a luxury resource, might be a tad insensitive. I like the sound of the Combat and Gossip Log, I always miss that stuff. I wish there was something that helped with the flood of messages you get late game. It gets really messy having dozen's of pop ups show up on the right hand side. Something like a message log screen might help.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Played some Rise and Fall this weekend. Started pretty easy so didn't feel some things like Loyalty all that much. I had spies working double time but didn't make a dent, none of my cities ever went negative. I'd assume moving past Prince would impact that more. Tried the "Chop" mechanic, but could never really line it up well. Didn't have a coastal city and had mostly plains and desert tiles. Korea was a powerhouse though, I think by Medieval, I was one full age ahead of everyone and the distance just kept growing.

One of the funnier moments, barb's spawned a couple helicopters, which was fine for me since I matched up with them age wise. However both my AI neighbors were a couple ages back and so the heli's wrecked havoc.

I ended up liking the golden age /dark age stuff more than I thought I would. The bonuses were fun and interesting. Anything that lets me further customize that play through is fine by me. I never got an emergency, but again, probably because of difficulty. AI was still as stupid as ever, constantly asking for uneven trades, though they did at least include 1 piece of art for 4 of mine vs before they wouldn't offer anything.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Played some Rise and Fall this weekend. Started pretty easy so didn't feel some things like Loyalty all that much. I had spies working double time but didn't make a dent, none of my cities ever went negative. I'd assume moving past Prince would impact that more.

I don't think difficulty changes loyalty other than the AI civs could have more and bigger cities than the lower difficulty. You really only have issues with loyalty when you place a new city too far from your current cities so it can't get any loyalty. If you were to settle in a tile that was +20 loyalty to a different civ, you'd lose that city very quick.

Veevee on
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    Played some Rise and Fall this weekend. Started pretty easy so didn't feel some things like Loyalty all that much. I had spies working double time but didn't make a dent, none of my cities ever went negative. I'd assume moving past Prince would impact that more.

I don't think difficulty changes loyalty other than the AI civs could have more and bigger cities than the lower difficulty. You really only have issues with loyalty when you place a new city too far from your current cities so it can't get any loyalty. If you were to settle in a tile that was +20 loyalty to a different civ, you'd lose that city very quick.

Conquest is also a big deal with loyalty, if you staight up conquer cities in enemy territory you might have problems, unless you take action like spreading your religion first, have well developed cities near by, send in a governor, or take all adjacent cities in a big clump (sometimes its better to take 3 or 4 big cities than just one, because each city you take reduces the enemy loyalty pressure.)

• Options

Conquest is also a big deal with loyalty, if you staight up conquer cities in enemy territory you might have problems, unless you take action like spreading your religion first, have well developed cities near by, send in a governor, or take all adjacent cities in a big clump (sometimes its better to take 3 or 4 big cities than just one, because each city you take reduces the enemy loyalty pressure.)

If playing against AI, taking the city and having it flip to a free city may actually be preferable to keeping the city, depending on circumstance of course. Rather than having the city be a drag on your ammenities or cost extra maintence, just let the free city harass their former owners.

Also, if you want to raze the city but don't want the warmonger hit you can keep it, let it flip to a free city, then raze it with impunity.

• Options

If playing against AI, taking the city and having it flip to a free city may actually be preferable to keeping the city, depending on circumstance of course. Rather than having the city be a drag on your ammenities or cost extra maintence, just let the free city harass their former owners.

Also, if you want to raze the city but don't want the warmonger hit you can keep it, let it flip to a free city, then raze it with impunity.

The main thing I have noticed though is that if a civ has enough loyalty pressure to flip a city to being a free city, it probably is not long until they have enough to annex it.

• Options
    Sorry for the double post, I was going to throw one more mod recommendation in.

Real tech tree;
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=871465857

What this does is add more prereqs the the tech tree to get rid of dead end techs and keep players from beelining more than 2 eras ahead. Its a bit of a kludge because originally the author did a mod that just didn’t let you move on to more than one era ahead of your least reaearched tech, but rise and fall’s era rework broke this, so he just added more prereqs to acheive the same effect.

This really helps the ai, not just because the player can more efficiently beeline than the ai, but also because the ai doesn’t like dead end techs and often doea not research them, which throws off the ai upgrade paths (ai also doesnt like to skip upgrades like the player can, for example if it has tech for spearmen and pike+shot but not pikemen which is very possible, it will rarely upgrade the spearmen).

Anyway, this leads to 2 things: a harder to read tech tree (but you can use the civilopedia for prereqs or just click to tech you want and let it autoresearch up to it), and an overall much better gameflow with the ai keeping up better, and a reduction in silly things like being able to research crossbows without bows, pike and shot without pikes, or spaceflight without radios.

• Options
    What is best in life? Cogs, apples or coins?

• Options
    cogs. Although it is less important than in Civ5 where hammers reigned supreme.

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »
    cogs. Although it is less important than in Civ5 where hammers reigned supreme.

But they are harder to get in 6, at least until you have a good understanding of what is going on.

• Options
    Anyone have experience with voc populi? I keep hearing good reviews so I downloaded it, but I am a bit lost.

• Options
    For 5? I'm familiar with a couple year old version, I think the updates made the AI dramatically more dangerous.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, for 5. I have played with csd and civ 4 diplomacy before, but the new tech trees and civs have me lost a bit. I have been muddling along as arabia and am about mid-bottom of the pack.

This reminds me how great the leader selection in civ5 was though. Not the civs themselves necessarily but the variety and quality of the animations. I know there are probably 10 or so more civs coming for civ 6 but it is difficult to imagine 10 more civs that would bring it to civ 5 levels.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    So civ6 is coming to Switch.

• Options
    I just want Rise and Fall for my iPad version.

• Options
    Does the Switch version include Rise and Fall?

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I believe so

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    What are some good reasources to "git gud"

I feel I struggle with production. I never have enough to maintain and army, buildings, compete with wonders. Maybe I'm biting off to much, but I hate not playing an aspect of the game (like religion).

Should you know what victory type you want from turn 1?

• Options
    What are some good reasources to "git gud"

I feel I struggle with production. I never have enough to maintain and army, buildings, compete with wonders. Maybe I'm biting off to much, but I hate not playing an aspect of the game (like religion).

Should you know what victory type you want from turn 1?

CivFanatics has a ton of resources, guides, etc for each version, I've used them to learn a number of things. But as someone who's never bested Deity I can't really offer a ton of advice. Generally the sooner you set a course for a victory the more likely you are to achieve it, but you also have to be flexible to where you start, what resources you have, neighbors, etc.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Sorry to dredge the thread back up.

I got the expansion for Civ 6 a few days ago when it went on sale so I'm back on this. After a few rounds I've found myself pretty confused about something. What exactly is the point of religion in Civ 6? I know it's a route to victory, but there's problems with using it as a side-benefit. Namely in that the benefit seems extremely niche and rare to capitalize on, which doesn't seem worthwhile given how much you have to invest.

First is that the beliefs you spread around end up benefiting the other civilizations in the game. And even if THEY give you their religion, you're still getting some sort of benefit. So what's the point in spreading any belief? Granted I get the idea of min-maxing hard toward something like culture, but again that takes investment and I'm not sure it's worth it.

Second is the Faith points you acquire. They're used for SO little in this game. You can buy the faith-spreading / stomping NPCs, you can buy the faith-generating buildings (or build them, or buy them with gold). I guess you can use the points to buy Great People through the patron function. And with a specific government, while it is active at any rate, you can use Faith as an alternate to Gold to buy army units. But again, so what to any of that? If Faith was the exclusive currency to making something in the game happen, then I'd see it as a benefit.

But it largely seems like a waste of time. Any Production, Gold, or Culture bonus I could get from religion I could gain by just working on any of those that I want (which I would be anyway in the first place).

• Options
    It significantly boosts your diplomatic relations with those of the same fate and with city-states. Great People are amazing to have as well. A few well-timed Engineers to finish a wonder or a few admirals or generals to boost your units, for example.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've kinda been taking Great People for granted I guess. I'm not entirely familiar with what Engineers do, I've only gotten them so many times and I usually have a glazed-over-eyes expression just going through some motions at that point in a game.

Since I'm all critical of religion as a function I decided to roll up as the Kongo in the game I started tonight. I ended up with a TREMENDOUS start location; with just my starting city and first expansion, I've cut the primary continent (or what I assume to be; it's a fractal map) in half because of some mountain generation to the north and south of me. With some eastern expansion I'm also cutting off a peninsula that accounts for probably 1/4 of the continent's landmass. So my empire is already a huge gateway for all the others, making the trade route passage a pretty nice bonus. Also pretty easy to defend.

• Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    One of the big benefits of religion is that it can cover any weakness your start location may have. Start in an area with poor production? Religion has you covered. Need more amenities? Religion can do that. Need money? Set up the tithing baby. Setting up early faith generation and selecting the golden age policy that lets you faithbuy workers/settlers will also let you expand very quickly. If you're trying for culture victory faith is also important late game to buy Naturalists to setup your national parks.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I have used religion to augment domination victories. Choose the religious bonus that gives you a combat bonus in enemy cities that follow your religion. Choose whatever other bonuses help your current situation. Converting cities also gives you era score, which helps guarantee a golden age, which gives all kinds of bonuses including: higher loyalty in your cities, and the option to purchase builders and settlers with faith if you choose that option. That might be a thing you can choose only in later eras? Not sure.

• Options
    Man, Kongo is a very strong empire to play as. The Great Person points rack up so damn easily.

Unrelated, Fractal is definitely my favorite kind of world generation. Much better than continents. There's an island in my current game that has no civilizations, no city states. But there are a truck load of barbarians on it, along with a variety of luxury resources (only one repeat) clustered in one spot. It's like a prize island if you can muscle your way in.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Someone on the CivFanatics forums just pointed out that Kongo's leader ability has been bugged for months, and no one noticed.

You know how they're supposed to get the benefits from their majority religion as if they had founded it themselves? Yeah, that hasn't worked since the last patch, possibly even before.

I'm not sure if the reason no one noticed before now is because Kongo is pretty strong even without that ability, or if we were all just so excited about the new Rise & Fall civs that no one bothered to make sure all the vanilla ones were still working as intended.