As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mushroom identification?

Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
Hi there! Dunno if anyone is a mushroom expert, but these little guys sprouted up in the pot of a plant after we brought it in during a big storm. They've only been visible for a couple of days. I live in Western MA and I'd just really like to know what these are, mostly to see if they'll kill the plant or be dangerous for our cats (they don't eat stuff like that but they do sniff stuff)

I've done a little digging online but haven't found anything that looks right yet

Also if it's any clue, we grew some oyster mushrooms in the same room a while back, but it was quite some time ago and they were white, so I'm not sure that that is relevant.

Pics:

ock3B9Yl.jpg
AnGWiUAl.jpg
FtDgyQB.jpg

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I believe @Xaquin is our resident mushroom expert?

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    They're Flowerpot parasols and they're slightly poisonous (they might cause your cat to puke its guts out for a day or so). Normally a tropical fungi it's not uncommonly found in flowerpot soil.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    that's exactly what it is! thank you

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm ok with edibles, but not otherwise I'm afraid

Glad they got identified!

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Never, ever underestimate the things a cat will lick or taste simply because it's there and they've never seen it before. The quicker you end this little problem and get rid of it, the safer your cat will be.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Yes, the plant will have to be moved out again for sure. Thanks guys!

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Jumping on this thread. Apologies for links as I'm on my phone.

Saw a lot of these in NH
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/6W5xD2BvmErwwZXD7

Also this one in nj
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ptCbSyyBKBwaY5n59

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Jumping on this thread. Apologies for links as I'm on my phone.

Saw a lot of these in NH
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/6W5xD2BvmErwwZXD7

Also this one in nj
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ptCbSyyBKBwaY5n59

It looks like that first one is actually a parasitic plant! You can see the leaves and everything. Looks like Indian Pipe.

• Options
    The second one definitely looks like some kind of oyster mushroom, but the colour is all wrong. The only oyster mushrooms that I know that's that shape are either strongly yellow or very pale white, not this half-creamy middle-version.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    The first one was all over the place. It did look planrish but the grouping made me think mushrooms

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    The first one was all over the place. It did look planrish but the grouping made me think mushrooms
    It's a ghost plant, which is entirely mycotrophic. Ie, it sucks all of its nutrition from fungus. So it can only grow where there is fungus, but it's not fungus itself. It looks creepy, it acts creepy (growing from nothing to full plant within days, flowering, growing its fruit and dying. Usually after rainfall. Then gone without a trace) so it's no wonder why people call it the ghost plant.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    It's a ghost plant, which is entirely mycotrophic. Ie, it sucks all of its nutrition from fungus. So it can only grow where there is fungus, but it's not fungus itself. It looks creepy, it acts creepy (growing from nothing to full plant within days, flowering, growing its fruit and dying. Usually after rainfall. Then gone without a trace) so it's no wonder why people call it the ghost plant.

It seems really weird to awesome a post about... well, whatever the layman term is for this, but that's a cool picture and a cool bit of information.

• Options
    First one is an Indian pipe

Second one MIGHT be a type of oyster but I kind of doubt it

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Yep, those are some damn creepy plants.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    see317 wrote: »

It seems really weird to awesome a post about... well, whatever the layman term is for this, but that's a cool picture and a cool bit of information.

Most plants actually have mycorrhizal associations in their roots and use the fungus filaments to pull water and nutrients from the soil. But, this guy takes it to another level and doesn't have chlorophyll to produce food from sunlight, although as fiendishrabbit says, it's gets all it's food from a fungus, which is in a mycorrhizal relationship with a different plant getting it's energy from the sun.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    they were really cool and would always draw my eye.

here are a couple more
    wvmXjZo.jpg

G32wMSF.jpg

Not a ghost plant but still cool and I think a fungus. same tree as the "oyster" one
    NTsxcPB.jpg

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    They're Flowerpot parasols and they're slightly poisonous

So Xaquin as an eat/!eat mushroom consultant still pretty much checks out.

• Options
    Not a ghost plant but still cool and I think a fungus. same tree as the "oyster" one
    NTsxcPB.jpg

Poor tree. I don't know what that fungus is called, but it basicly meanas that the tree is a gonner unless you cut off all infected branches.

• Options
  • Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    They're Flowerpot parasols and they're slightly poisonous

So Xaquin as an eat/!eat mushroom consultant still pretty much checks out.

except true gilled mushrooms and most boletes

I avoid them as a rule since I am not qualified at all to identify them*

*I probably could identify them, but realistically, I know so many edibles that I really don't feel like adding any risk when I've already got a fridge and freezer full anyway

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    I never thought the mushroom thread would creep me out more than the bug thread....

sig.gif
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Lovely wrote: »
    I never thought the mushroom thread would creep me out more than the bug thread....

Queue pictures of the fungus that turns bugs into zombies.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Cordyceps. Went down that curiosity search just the other day!

sig.gif