As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jobs]WE DID IT TEAM, HE'S ON VACATION

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I decided to teach myself python today.

So, of course, my first project is a choose-your-own-adventure parodying the typical corporate office environment.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    CEO visit tomorrow gotta make sure to have extra coffee in the morning.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Kaplar wrote: »
    "Hey Kap. Just calling to let you know what time you start tomorrow."
    "Awesome. Thanks!"
    (Stuff about what I need to bring on my first day. IDs and such)
    "Oh but you don't need to bring a lunch"
    I jokingly said "Oh because you're celebrating my hire? Haha."
    "Actually yes. We're having a catered lunch to welcome you. Is that ok?"

Yes ma'am. You may throw a catered lunch to celebrate my arrival. I will never say no to that.

They forgot to tell you that YOU ARE THE LUNCH

FLEE, FLEE FOR YOUR LIFE

HOW TO COOK FOR NEW EMPLOYEES

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    "Hey Kap. Just calling to let you know what time you start tomorrow."
    "Awesome. Thanks!"
    (Stuff about what I need to bring on my first day. IDs and such)
    "Oh but you don't need to bring a lunch"
    I jokingly said "Oh because you're celebrating my hire? Haha."
    "Actually yes. We're having a catered lunch to welcome you. Is that ok?"

Yes ma'am. You may throw a catered lunch to celebrate my arrival. I will never say no to that.

I might legtimately tear up if someone told me this.

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    Oh the things I'll do for a free work lunch..

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    This is absolutely the same trick as the "baby brought you a gift!" Thing parents do to engratiate older siblings to a newborn. But that's great because it totally works! Associating the new person with getting free food is a great idea that I'm stealing.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Combining my two favorite things, food and public recognition, is a sure-fire way to get me to love something.

That is like a mainline directly to my lizard-brain happy place.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I forgot my metro pass yesterday

Today I forgot my train pass

This job is a lot harder than I thought

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Karl wrote: »
    Veevee wrote: »
    Speaking of emails, got this in an auto-reply from someone after they made a reservation online.
    To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I have approved beforehand.

If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you, I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

This is a new one to me, and no, I am not filling out that form.

LOL they can get fucked.

No, you booked the reservation. This is your problem

We've had a customer that did that. We tried to hate him to death.

On that note, we haven't seen those bounces for months, so maybe it worked.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Next month my company is taking everyone across the offices to a fully paid trip to Copenhagen for a few days (except lunches).

W
    T
    F.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Liiya wrote: »
    Next month my company is taking everyone across the offices to a fully paid trip to Copenhagen for a few days (except lunches).

W
    T
    F.

Det er dejligt!

Seriouly, everything you're writing about that place seems great. I'm happy for you (maybe also a bit jealous)

honovere on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Because the district changed the payroll system and moved all non-teachers to a time clock in the middle of the summer all my extra summer work pay gets delayed till next month's pay check.

Sucks.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    El Skid wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    Just had a customer call up and say their system wasn't turning on.
    Then they hit the power button and the system turned on.
    Best. Customer. Ever.

I dunno if there's a name for it, but I call stuff like this "Quantum HelpDesk Problems". Problems that go away as soon as someone who is not the user tries to observe them.

I've been on both sides of this whole situation, and yeah. This happens a LOT.

This happened so much with one of my old colleagues that she stopped bothering to explain the issue, just asked me to come stand next to her desk for a bit while she tried again.

Worked every time.

I can also do this. Stuff magically starts working when I am near.

The corollary to this, however, is that there are an equal number of people around whom things just break. You can give them a perfectly working electronic device, show them exactly what to do, and as soon as they try to use it on their own it will glitch out

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

W
    T
    F.

I know, right? How are they not paying for lunches?! Unbelievable.

• Options

W
    T
    F.

That's how they get you. I bet every meal is like £50

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

W
    T
    F.

That's how they get you. I bet every meal is like £50

The devious schemes of Big Lunch.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    In Copenhagen? ... Yeah actually that's not far off.

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Can’t remember who it was in here that originally brought it up, but I’ve officially been given permission by the head of circulation to begin giving the carts names. I think I’m gonna start with Shelvy Duvall.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Can’t remember who it was in here that originally brought it up, but I’ve officially been given permission by the head of circulation to begin giving the carts names. I think I’m gonna start with Shelvy Duvall.

What do you do?

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »

What do you do?

Names carts, he couldn't have been more clear about that

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

What do you do?

Library circulation clerk and, as of this shelving cart, God's Work.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    For the second time in 3 days I am the only secretary in the office. And as the bosses that are here are tied up with parents calling to complain about their child's placement and/or curriculum writing with teachers who came to work for a day, and as my work is mostly caught up on with everything else being weeks or more away, I have another easy day ahead of me.

• Options
    Metro arriving in 4 minutes

3 minutes

2 minutes

3 minutes

THIS IS TYRANNY

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

3 minutes

2 minutes

3 minutes

THIS IS TYRANNY

I told your planning board not to dig train tunnels through a tesseract, but noooooooooooo

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

3 minutes

2 minutes

3 minutes

THIS IS TYRANNY

You have not known pain until you try to rely on the SF Muni. Arrival times will come and go with no trains. Sometimes 40 minutes pass when they're supposed to be every 10-15.

• Options
    Kamiro wrote: »

3 minutes

2 minutes

3 minutes

THIS IS TYRANNY

Welcome to single tracking hell, featuring non rush hour trains

Still beats driving

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Combining my two favorite things, food and public recognition, is a sure-fire way to get me to love something.

That is like a mainline directly to my lizard-brain happy place.

It's going to be pizza. You can have some. Also, I'm proud of you.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Think I have to go to work on Sunday; cannabis taxes are due Monday and I have to take Monday off to pick up my mom and siblings from the airport.

Wouldn’t be an issue if I had an assistant already!!!

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    Think I have to go to work on Sunday; cannabis taxes are due Monday and I have to take Monday off to pick up my mom and siblings from the airport.

Wouldn’t be an issue if I had an assistant already!!!

I can start in six years.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

W
    T
    F.

They're leaving off the lunches?

Cheap bastards.
    NOICE.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I got the part-time supermarket job. Which is a relief.

If my plan to start my own business works out I may never have to do another job interview again! Talk about an incentive.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Man. I had the worst post-lunch food coma today. I was doing pair programming and this was me the entire afternoon.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I am just worn the fuck out today, and I just want to sleeeep

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I suppose I need to get car insurance today. So sleepy.

Huh, Geico gave me the 50% less quote, but I need to see what they left out compared to the $380 esurance quote.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

It was @timspork's ghost

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    There is satisfaction in that my mother's accidents in my cars have been the cause of my insurance costs increasing, an expensive satisfaction though.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

If my plan to start my own business works out I may never have to do another job interview again! Talk about an incentive.

Do you plan on not having any employees?

https://youtu.be/XhI0OVs_zj0

• Options

Do you plan on not having any employees?

https://youtu.be/XhI0OVs_zj0

You can always hire someone to do the interviews for you.

Although, wait...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Clearly when I left my last job I didn't expect to ever apply for an academic position, because I never wrote down the grant numbers on the grants I won.

I spent 2 hours last night combing through records of UK government departments that no longer exist, trying to track stuff down.
    The best thing I found was the guy who made a freedom-of-information request to demand a list of research funding supplied to private firms by one particular business investment organization. Which was already freely available (and rather better organized) via a prominent link on their website.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    New job is going good. I'm mostly doing busy work because a surprise audit fell on this week.

They also send a weekly email with open positions out to all employees, and of course an angry level info sec job gets posted. Oh well, I still have over a year in my graduate program. I'm ok biding my time and doing more broad security work

This discussion has been closed.