As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Jobs]WE DID IT TEAM, HE'S ON VACATION

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    New job is going good. I'm mostly doing busy work because a surprise audit fell on this week.

They also send a weekly email with open positions out to all employees, and of course an angry level info sec job gets posted. Oh well, I still have over a year in my graduate program. I'm ok biding my time and doing more broad security work

As someone whose job is tangential to infosec, I am all about the phrase "angry level job"

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    New job is going good. I'm mostly doing busy work because a surprise audit fell on this week.

They also send a weekly email with open positions out to all employees, and of course an angry level info sec job gets posted. Oh well, I still have over a year in my graduate program. I'm ok biding my time and doing more broad security work

As someone whose job is tangential to infosec, I am all about the phrase "angry level job"

I am an infosec engineer and that is every infosec job

But most especially whichever one I happen to be doing at that exact moment

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    *entry level

But still I like I'm gong now but info sec is my end of the rainbow

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Ugh, I don’t think they took my requests for an assistant as seriously as I need them to. While it’s kind of flattering that they think I can do this all myself it’s also frustrating that they don’t consider that maybe, just maybe, accounting for 5+ stores is more than a one-person job.

Janson on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You may need to invest some time showing them how things are going to slip if you keep trying to do this all yourself. Eg. "If we don't get an assistant, there will be X months backlog after Y months."

Because that's the kind of thing that will just compound.

tynic wrote: »
    You may need to invest some time showing them how things are going to slip if you keep trying to do this all yourself. Eg. "If we don't get an assistant, there will be X months backlog after Y months."

It's frightening how quickly companies will normalize "a little extra work" as the new baseline expectation.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    This is absolutely the same trick as the "baby brought you a gift!" Thing parents do to engratiate older siblings to a newborn. But that's great because it totally works! Associating the new person with getting free food is a great idea that I'm stealing.

I'm legitimately afraid that if I tried this, my circ clerks would pick up on the pattern and start actively driving off new hires to increase the frequency of free lunches.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I got to watch the most hilarious bit of passive aggressive peevishness today.

We have adjustable sit/stand desks.

Coworker A likes to hover and sit on your desk or get weirdly close to you to watch what you're doing on your monitor.

Coworker B got annoyed by this and hit the automatic raise on his desk which raised the desk up, and raised the corner of the desk up into coworker A's crotch.

The desks stop when they hit some resistance, but based on coworker A's reaction, it's not that fast.

I mean with some coworkers aversion therapy is the only way.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Director/VP type person just used a William Gibson quote in a presentation.
    Nice, maybe I'll like being moved to this part of the org chart after all.

steam_sig.png
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Left today at 6 AM to go on a three hour drive cross-country (it's a small country) to visit our company's second office, came home at 8 PM.

Boy, that was a working day and a little under a half.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

It's frightening how quickly companies will normalize "a little extra work" as the new baseline expectation.

When I worked at Isuzu as a technician this was how performance bonuses worked.

If you made hours (got work done in under the factory-specified time) you got paid your hourly rate for the time you made up, so you'd tell your workmates the new process you figured out, and it would get refined by the group as different people interacted with the problem and solution in different ways. As soon as multiple people regularly beat times on a common job though, they ignored the factory-specified time and went with the new average.

So if you figured out a way to get a repair/maintenance job done quicker than the factory said it could be done, you made a few bucks. Then the new faster time became the standard, and the reward you got for making the company extra profits just disappeared.

David_T wrote: »
    Left today at 6 AM to go on a three hour drive cross-country (it's a small country) to visit our company's second office, came home at 8 PM.

Boy, that was a day and a half.

I don't think that math lines up

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Director/VP type person just used a William Gibson quote in a presentation.
    Nice, maybe I'll like being moved to this part of the org chart after all.

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular

At my last job we had a crisis week where I had to recheck an entire project for another team because though their system backed our project, they hadn't communicated their changes to us at all, and as expected... they fucked up a bunch of stuff having to do with our product.

I figured, "well sometimes this shit happens". So I pulled a bleach, released the limiters, and went full bore mythical QA robot for the week, logged 80 hours that felt more like 120 hours because it included at least 1all nighter to get the project to hit its releases date, but I essentially railed through a regression of my system in less than a week.

Bout 2 weeks later my boss tried to tell me they wanted that kinda output at all times, but that they also weren't necessarily asking me to work more hours... congratulations to that guy, he got the last fuckin time I ever do that shit for basically anyone.

Now if you come to me with a project we've never discussed that needs to be finished before the end of the week you brought it too me... it goes to the bottom of the list, and if you try to tell your boss its my fault... I'm just gonna throw you straight under the bus for not properly communicating with the necessary parties in the planning stages. That's a managerial fuck up, not a QA fuck up. Trying to fast track it, and resultantly missing defects would be a QA fuck up.

Because if I kill myself for a week to save the team, it just means the team now expects me to kill myself for them all the time as a baseline.
    Apparently the flaw in the scotty logic is that even if you do perform miracles when it counts, everyone just expects miracles all the time moving forward.

I apologize for my extremely basic to/too mistake in my previous post, I have now edited it.

I’m super hungry and going to go to lunch BY MYSELF.

I also want an assistant who’ll go to lunch with me!

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Liiya wrote: »
    Next month my company is taking everyone across the offices to a fully paid trip to Copenhagen for a few days (except lunches).

W
    T
    F.

I know, right? How are they not paying for lunches?! Unbelievable.

That's how they get you. I bet every meal is like £50

In Copenhagen

yep.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Most folks suspicious of foreigners will oblige rank and education.

The chucklehead necessitating special procedures today for some of my kin.....did not....and now he has plenty of free time to understand how orders from someone higher in the chain and for the benefit of someone with multiple degrees are to be obeyed.

edited August 2018
    Company I interviewed for nearly 2 months ago finally turned up again, wanting to 'move forward'. I, however, have moved all the way on, because fuck 'em. I guess I have to communicate this to them somehow.

Ugh, even ignoring this is killing my productivity. All I want to do is go sit in a park with an iced chai and pretend capitalism doesn't exist.

edit: They want to know "my salary range expectations." The only reason I even wanted to hear from them again was to find out what they thought I was worth, so I'm wondering if "I dunno, you tell me" is going to get a sensible response.

tynic on
    3clipse wrote: »
    Next month my company is taking everyone across the offices to a fully paid trip to Copenhagen for a few days (except lunches).

W
    T
    F.

I know, right? How are they not paying for lunches?! Unbelievable.

That's how they get you. I bet every meal is like £50

In Copenhagen

yep.

Which translates to 500000000000 krone, probably.

13 years ago now my dad booked us the cheapest hotel room in Copenhagen, which was a room with two twin beds literally 6 inches apart (and each bed was against the wall), so the room was probably no more than 7 ft x 8 ft. The en-suite bathroom was the size of a toilet; the shower was situated over the toilet and the whole room was waterproofed, so it was a single stall. The cost was around $250/night as I recall. Probably $300+ now.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Company I interviewed for nearly 2 months ago finally turned up again, wanting to 'move forward'. I, however, have moved all the way on, because fuck 'em. I guess I have to communicate this to them somehow.

Ugh, even ignoring this is killing my productivity. All I want to do is go sit in a park with an iced chai and pretend capitalism doesn't exist.

edit: They want to know "my salary range expectations." The only reason I even wanted to hear from them again was to find out what they thought I was worth, so I'm wondering if "I dunno, you tell me" is going to get a sensible response.

You're gonna have to cover up that Starbucks logo with something then.

edited August 2018
    hippofant wrote: »

You're gonna have to cover up that Starbucks logo with something then.

I don't know whether to be more offended that you think I'm hitting up Starbucks or that I'm not using my own thermos to cut down on waste.

tynic on

What even runs through these HR managers’ minds? Or anyone’s mind? How do they function with such delays?

Janson wrote: »

What even runs through these HR managers’ minds? Or anyone’s mind? How do they function with such delays?

I think this one is chiefly on the director - apparently he had to sign off on the process and he fucked off out of the country for two months (after pressuring me in the interview about starting dates!).
    Their HR is kind of crap too, but for other reasons.

13 years ago now my dad booked us the cheapest hotel room in Copenhagen, which was a room with two twin beds literally 6 inches apart (and each bed was against the wall), so the room was probably no more than 7 ft x 8 ft. The en-suite bathroom was the size of a toilet; the shower was situated over the toilet and the whole room was waterproofed, so it was a single stall. The cost was around $250/night as I recall. Probably $300+ now.

The idea of showering into a toilet is something that I can't find many practical objections to, but still makes me want to scream myself hoarse.

GDdCWMm.jpg

That sounds about right! I've found that getting a hostel and buddying up is the best way to go but that only really works if you know a couple of people really really well.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Apart from being a long day, I'm also now in a position (that we don't actually know the name of, but it'll end up being something like Logistics Analyst) where I have my fingers both in supply and sales, so both the airplane fuel coming in at one end of the chain and what's being pumped into planes at the other end, as well as being part of an IT project with our new Operations guy to implement a new Ops system. So that's fun.

And when my boss said that we'd all gotten a nice bonus this year and I kinda shook my head because I'm still just a temp and, hah, no, he amended it to "will all have gotten". So that's nice.

Fun and nice and exhausting, that was my day.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I would have trouble not throwing a stupidly absurd number at them that would cover breaking my lease (sign on bonus) and also being downright ridiculous that no one in their right mind would be okay with (like 300k+).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Sleep wrote: »

At my last job we had a crisis week where I had to recheck an entire project for another team because though their system backed our project, they hadn't communicated their changes to us at all, and as expected... they fucked up a bunch of stuff having to do with our product.

I figured, "well sometimes this shit happens". So I pulled a bleach, released the limiters, and went full bore mythical QA robot for the week, logged 80 hours that felt more like 120 hours because it included at least 1all nighter to get the project to hit its releases date, but I essentially railed through a regression of my system in less than a week.

Bout 2 weeks later my boss tried to tell me they wanted that kinda output at all times, but that they also weren't necessarily asking me to work more hours... congratulations to that guy, he got the last fuckin time I ever do that shit for basically anyone.

Now if you come to me with a project we've never discussed that needs to be finished before the end of the week you brought it too me... it goes to the bottom of the list, and if you try to tell your boss its my fault... I'm just gonna throw you straight under the bus for not properly communicating with the necessary parties in the planning stages. That's a managerial fuck up, not a QA fuck up. Trying to fast track it, and resultantly missing defects would be a QA fuck up.

Because if I kill myself for a week to save the team, it just means the team now expects me to kill myself for them all the time as a baseline.
    Apparently the flaw in the scotty logic is that even if you do perform miracles when it counts, everyone just expects miracles all the time moving forward.

Scotty logic only really works in a utopia. Because capitalism consumes

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    First day and it's already kind of dragging. I don't even have my schedule to know when I leave today. Maybe I live here now?

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

I mean, it's not like you're going to lose anything by responding that way. Give them a week or ten days just because promptness is something they respect and ask them that.

steam_sig.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Under optimal conditions you can accomplish X amount of work, therefore you will always be expected to accomplish X amount of work

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018

"Sprinters do not run marathons."

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular

Scotty logic only really works in a utopia. Because capitalism consumes

I mean the first half he's never steered me wrong on... never tell the captain how long the job actually takes, you'll never get anything done that way. You've gotta pad your estimates.

However apparently when the heat is on and the captain needs a miracle you just eject yourself from the starship and watch it burn because if you save them they will only learn that you could do way more if we treat standard maneuvers like a full red alert scenario.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    On the one hand, having a lot of recruiters that want to talk to you isn't a bad thing. But I agreed to do some phone screens a few weeks ago but I just really, really haven't had time to prep for them. I keep having to tell them I haven't had time to prepare and I don't want to schedule the phone screen yet. I kinda feel bad about having to do so but I can't think of much else to do at the moment.

Putting them off isn't wasting anyone's time, so I wouldn't feel bad about it.

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I am not sure if this is a proper thread to write something like this, but eh, sorry if that's the case.

I am 26, currently working as QA tester in Eastern Europe. I studied and finished law at university, but only after all this time I decided that actually I do not want to be a lawyer / judge / prosecutor, and I am terrified at the thought of ever trying to become one (le's be honest, I have problems with dealing with stress). My current job is pretty stress free and it is something that I am at least 7/10 good at, but salary is definitely not great if I ever want to live by myself, instead of renting a room in a flat shared with 3 other people.

I wonder about returning to university and learning IT / programming (lectures would be every second weekend), but I am afraid that it would be a repetition of my failure with studying law - I do not know if it is something I would be good at or I would enjoy doing, it is just something I would have to make myself to learn, because I am afraid that If I will not do something with myself soon, then it will be too late for me to ever be successfull.

Does anyone here have any advice, if starting to learn something new like this is a good idea in my situation, considering that it would require a huge amount of time and money, that I do not have that much (even though at least I have some savings for a occasion like this) in a first place?

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

The idea of showering into a toilet is something that I can't find many practical objections to, but still makes me want to scream myself hoarse.

If it's anything like the economy bathrooms in business hotels in Japan, I mean, you put the lid down... and it's a shower wand on a hose so you're not actually standing over the toilet. It's just really... cozy.

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Wow, didn't know how draining job interviews were.
    I even had resigned myself to not have this job (it would require a move to Washington State and that just doesn't seem like it'd work out for us currently as a family), so there was no pressure on the oh shit I need a job. Also current job is super rad, so I'm hard pressed to leave it.
    But still. That shit sucked you guys.

PSN: jfrofl
This discussion has been closed.