As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Liberty or Death] Let's play all of the American Revolution! - twice! Starting on page 9.

admanbadmanb unionize your workplaceSeattle, WARegistered User regular
edited September 2018 in Critical Failures
I'll put some game info and stuff here when I feel like it.

In the mean time here are
The starting map:

Obsfqgd.jpg

admanb on

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    @TheColonel @A Half Eaten Oreo @Hedgethorn

I have two questions for you:
    1. Please rate your preferred factions in order of most to least preferred.
    2. Tell me whether you'd rather play the full game scenario (A People Numerous and Armed) or the shorter one (British Return to New York). Note that while France doesn't start in the war in either of them, in the latter they're within a few turns of it while in the former it will be a while.

admanb on
    I don't think tags work in edits and I fucked it up the first time so @A Half Eaten Oreo

• TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    1.) I honestly think all four factions sound great so please take my preference here as only because I have to.

British
    French
    Patriots
    Indians

2.) Do we have a rough idea of just how much more the full game will add to the length of the game overall comparatively?

TheColonel on
    Assuming no one hits the auto-win conditions the full game is 50% longer. The shorter scenario uses a 44 card event deck (40 events + 4 winter's quarters) while the full scenario uses a 66 card deck.

• A Half Eaten OreoA Half Eaten Oreo Registered User regular
    Patriots
    Indian
    British
    French

2. Based on the bgg COIN beginner thread I saw a while back, they recommended short for newbies. As I newbie I then vote short.

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I'd also vote for the shorter game. No real faction preference, but I'd be happy to take the French or the Indians if TheColonel and Oreo prefer the British and Patriots.

Edit: Maybe a *slight* preference for the French, if only because they seem different than the factions I've already seen in Fire in the Lake and Distant Plain.

Hedgethorn on
    Short game is perfectly fine with me as I own almost all of the COIN games but have yet to get a single one to the table.

Well, you made it easy for me. We'll be playing the short game with:

TheColonel as the British
    A Half Eaten Orea as the Patriots
    Hedgethorn as the French
    Myself as the Indians

Starting map is in the OP. First event card!

kNowKgg.png

British Resources: 5
    Patriot Resources: 2
    French Resources: 5
    Indian Resources: 0

Total Support: 3
    Total Opposition: 5

Cumulative British Casualties (CBC): 1
    Cumulative Rebellion Casualties (CRC): 3
    French Prep: 9

First player is the British. @TheColonel

Oh uh the Current event card is on the right, upcoming is the left.

I am quickly refreshing myself on the rules before committing to first action. Apologies for the delay!

TheColonel wrote: »
    I am quickly refreshing myself on the rules before committing to first action. Apologies for the delay!

I expect the first few turns to go slowly as people try and figure out WTF they're doing in this game.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    This game is great. If it goes well I definitely recommend the longer scenario down the road! Having the French start entirely off the map is super interesting.

And yeah this game is a WHOOOOLE buncha rules upfront, best of luck to everyone!

Edit: Oh, looks like you are doing the medium scenario, not the super short one, so the French still start off map. Cool :D

Inquisitor on
    The short scenario looks like a really good way for experienced players to get a quick, tense game, but there's way too much stuff on the board to put it in front of beginners.

Oh, one question I have is whether we want to allow PMs between players or only public table-talk. I'm neutral. Thoughts?

I think public only more closely resembles playing in person. I have no issues publicly asking for help from the French.

edited August 2018
    The loyal citizens of the colonies should take heart in knowing that their King, I, care about them a great deal. I think about them sometimes even once a day!

I'll take the unshaded event text, choosing Massachusetts and New York as the two colony choices.

@admanb

TheColonel on
    Indians will Gather, choosing the Southwest for free and placing 2 War Parties there. Then for their special activity they'll Trade in the Southwest.

@TheColonel to decide whether to give me 2+ resources.

I find this acceptable. 2 resources it is.

edited August 2018
    Second event card!

uiPeof4.jpg

dBWs2EI.png

British Resources: 3
    Patriot Resources: 2
    French Resources: 5
    Indian Resources: 2

Total Support: 5
    Total Opposition: 1

Next player is the Patriots. @A Half Eaten Oreo

admanb on
    Question: Massachusetts should be at Neutral correct? 2 colonies 2 levels towards passive support would bring it down to Neutral? Or am I reading that wrong?

Shh you saw nothing.

The Pats will perform a Command and a Special Ability:

Command: Rally spending 2 resources
    • Massachusetts for a total of 3 militia (2 pop + 1 fort)
    • Charles Town for a total of 2 militia (1 pop + 1 fort)

Special Action: Persuasion
    Using Persuasion in Massachusetts, Charles Town, and North Carolina. Gain 3 resources, activate 1 militia and place 1 propaganda marker in each of those locations.

First time ever taking an action so trying to be detailed. Hope I didn't screw anything up.

Just to be sure -- are you aware that when you Rally in a space with a Fort you can replace any number of Militia in that space with Continentals?

Nope! Knew I'd miss something. The patriots will also replace 1 Militia in each Massachusetts and Charles Town with 1 Continental.

Sounds good! @Hedgethorn for the second action of this card.

Aside from big plays I usually won't post an update in between two commands on the same card, but if you need that to plan your turn just ask.

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    @A Half Eaten Oreo @admanb

Am I reading the Patriots faction sheet wrong, or can Oreo only replace militia with continentals in one space?
    Last line of Rally action reads: "If desired, replace any Militia in any 1 space containing a Fort with Continentals"

Hedgethorn on
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    @A Half Eaten Oreo @admanb

Am I reading the Patriots faction sheet wrong, or can Oreo only replace militia with continentals in one space?
    Last line of Rally action reads: "If desired, replace any Militia in any 1 space containing a Fort with Continentals"

Let's go with Mass then.

I think I'm going to Pass. +2 French resources and we move to the next card.

@admanb for the next card, then it'll be @TheColonel as first eligible.

The Burning of Falmouth

The Burning of Falmouth was an attack by a Royal Navy fleet on
    the town of Falmouth, Massachusetts (site of the modern city of
    Portland, Maine.) George Washington described the Burning of
    Falmouth as “An outrage exceeding in barbarity and cruelty every
    hostile act among nations.”

(All text will be pulled from the rulebook, so don't blame me for innacuracies)

bwaf4XE.jpg

sjeVlot.png

British Resources: 3
    Patriot Resources: 3
    French Resources: 7
    Indian Resources: 2

Total Support: 5
    Total Opposition: 1

@TheColonel to play.

Command and Special Activity

I'd like to Naval Pressure first and then Muster.

@admanb Do you want to handle dice rolling or should we do so?

Go for it. As long as it's public I'm happy.

Alright, 1d3 for Naval Pressure, adding to British Resources.

Geth, roll 1d3 for NavalPressure

NavalPressure:
    1d3 2 [1d3=2]

Alright, Muster time:

Spend 1 Resource - Place 2 British Regulars in New York plus 2 bonus Tories (total in New York 5 Regulars, 5 Tories)
    Spend 1 Resource - Place 5 British Regulars in South Carolina plus 2 bonus Tories (total in South Carolina 5 Regulars, 4 Tories)
    Spend 1 Resource - Reward Loyalty in New York, bringing it up to Active Support.

I believe net British Resources will be 2 (3 + 2 - 3) by end of turn.

@Hedgethorn for next eligible.

Am I correct in assuming that if I take the event, the Patriots get resources but no rally takes place (since France doesn't have a rally action)?

That's a good question. My feeling is that since the Patriots are the only faction that can Rally and events don't care what faction activates them, if the event says they Rally, they Rally.

Play the event. @A Half Eaten Oreo gets to rally in two spaces for free and then gains 3 resources.

I found the full clarification: the Patriots do indeed Rally, but the French get to decide where. That said it's up to @Hedgethorn whether he wants to turn that power over to the Patriots or choose for them.

For now at least, I'm fine letting Oreo decide where he wants his militia.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Ha ha, suck it, Portland!

MrBody on