As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] is like normal reality, but butter

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »
    Dead Secret (I'd never heard of it, but this quote hooked me: "This is a bizarre experience." -- SWERY, director of Deadly Premonition and D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die.)
    Dead Secret has some slightly weird moments, but it's no Deadly Premonition by any stretch.
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (does anyone know if the Humble Bundle version comes with the VR add-on?)
    It does.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    A puppeteer manipulating a puppet, with that puppet also manipulating a puppet, that is the puppeteer manipulating a puppet {^NaN}...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT25CfBPr-Y

And hold on to your totem and headset, because we need to go DEEPER. (Leonardo_DiCaprio.gif should go here).

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Thinking about it, weren't we supposed to get news on a wireless widget for the Vive at some point this year?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    That Fisherman's Tale trailer is weird!

Speaking of PSVR, Sony announced yesterday that 3 million PSVRs have been SOLD.

As for the most played games, they didn't give specifics numbers, but here are the top ten most-played PSVR games:
    1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR
    2. PlayStation VR Worlds
    3. Rec Room
    4. Resident Evil 7 biohazard (Capcom announced yesterday that over 500,000 played this in VR so that helps give some perspective to the rest of the list)*
    5. The Playroom VR
    6. Job Simulator
    7. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
    8. Batman: Arkham VR
    9. Farpoint
    10. Superhot VR

* and that 500,000 (now at 502,089) is only people who allowed analytics to be uploaded by RE7

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Thinking about it, weren't we supposed to get news on a wireless widget for the Vive at some point this year?
    Yup, launches ... I swear I saw all this stuff on Reddit somewhere, but I can't figure out where exactly now. IIRC, it was September with an MSRP in the $300 range.

• Options
    Greenmangaming initiated its own sale on VR titles, too. While at first glance it looks like the prices are a little higher than Humble's, when you log in and add them to your cart the prices go down a further ~10% or so. I'm not sure why. But that's a thing that's also going on.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Greenmangaming initiated its own sale on VR titles, too. While at first glance it looks like the prices are a little higher than Humble's, when you log in and add them to your cart the prices go down a further ~10% or so. I'm not sure why. But that's a thing that's also going on.

Well, you did it. That link got me to pick up Star Trek Bridge Crew (and TNG expansion). I'm not sure when I'll have time this week, but I'd really like to raise shields and such.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Ace Combat final has a release date: January 18, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOOEhrtbOqo

Hoping that its "VR mode" is more robust than Gran Turismo's "VR mode"

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I ordered a bunch of these for my floor:

71T3I1X7SNL._SX679_.jpg

and a couple of these for my wall:

61gJeXc5XKL._SX679_.jpg

They arrive today and I am pumped to get LIV setup in my VR room to stream properly out to my living room. Being able to watch people playing VR in the actual environment they are seeing and experiencing is going to be awesome.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    We've been talking about getting a rug for our computer/VR room... but maybe I should just get those pads instead...

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I ordered a bunch of these for my floor:

71T3I1X7SNL._SX679_.jpg

and a couple of these for my wall:

61gJeXc5XKL._SX679_.jpg

They arrive today and I am pumped to get LIV setup in my VR room to stream properly out to my living room. Being able to watch people playing VR in the actual environment they are seeing and experiencing is going to be awesome.

Will you be streaming any of this? :-D

• Options
    I'm not a big streamer type person, but I will definitely record some stuff and post links here. I want to see my daughters playing around in Pierhead Arcade and also record myself doing some BeatSaber

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    I've been looking at getting a couple extensions for my rift headset cables and using one of those cheap reel mounting systems to attach the cable to the ceiling. Anyone tried that and have any impressions? Biggest concern right now is that the cable is going to droop down and get in the way.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    lazegamer wrote: »
    I've been looking at getting a couple extensions for my rift headset cables and using one of those cheap reel mounting systems to attach the cable to the ceiling. Anyone tried that and have any impressions? Biggest concern right now is that the cable is going to droop down and get in the way.

Funny you mention that, I also ordered this:
    61xJRmfkNpL._AC_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073P7GJNP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Along with the green screen stuff. I should be setting it up and using it tonight or tomorrow, so I will let you know what I think of it.

• Options
    Apparently preorders go up for HTC's wireless solution go up September 5th.
    It's $300 though, which is not too surprising I think... I'm kinda leaning toward getting it to not have to deal with wires any more (I also have a good amount of gift card money).

• Options
    edited August 2018
    $300 feels a little steep for that, imo

also, I can't find anything about how long the battery lasts on it

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Their product page says "Up to 2.5 hours". https://www.vive.com/us/wireless-adapter/
    Which is probably enough most of the time.

TPCast is 300 as well, isn't it?

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    It's hilarious that you have to pay an extra $60 for an expansion kit that fits the Pro.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm not a big streamer type person, but I will definitely record some stuff and post links here. I want to see my daughters playing around in Pierhead Arcade and also record myself doing some BeatSaber

Awesome!

Is your VR room adjacent to the living room? I'm trying to envision how you interact with people while in VR. I really enjoy the Keep Talking dynamic, even when it's not required

• Options
    edited August 2018

Awesome!

Is your VR room adjacent to the living room? I'm trying to envision how you interact with people while in VR. I really enjoy the Keep Talking dynamic, even when it's not required

Thats kind of the reason I wanted a solution to stream out to the living room. The Vive is setup in my office which is not quite big enough for more than 2 other people who aren't in the VR. The office is right off the entry way from the front door, then there's the dining room and then the living room. So there's a room between.

Once we started having lots of people over, it was getting too cramped in the office and my first solution was to use Steam streaming out to the Steam Link box on my TV. I would have the game be the main screen and then sort of PiP in the webcam view of the person. It works alright and we had a lot of fun watching people in the VR from out in the living room. This will just be that much better since we will see them in the actual game.

As far as stuff like Keep Talking goes, my plan was to have the Xbox in the living room use the Kinect for Voice Chat and use the Vive's built in microphone for chat on that end. Then connect them in a Xbox Party so its got a two way communication going. That should work for any games where the Living room needs to directly communicate with the person in the VR, or vice versa.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    It's hilarious that you have to pay an extra $60 for an expansion kit that fits the Pro.

Hey, you have the money for the Pro, you clearly have more money there to be squeezed out, right?

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Got the greenscreen setup and LIV working:

I need to tweak the mic, camera location, video/sound syncing, and some settings to make sure this doesnt mess with my VIVE controllers (it lost signal for some reason during that second song) but this is PRETTY COOL

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Got the greenscreen setup and LIV working

This. Is. FREAKING AWESOME!!!

I'm super jellie.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    Yeah, it's a great first start. I need to tweak some thing but I'm really excited to record my daughters play stuff like Pierhead Arcade and Windlands.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Magic+Leap+One+Teardown/112245

qd4970rezeup.jpg

There are almost no mysteries left now, to a device that was so shrouded in secrecy only two years ago. The marketing hype still makes me laugh, in hindsight.

• Options
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Magic+Leap+One+Teardown/112245

qd4970rezeup.jpg

There are almost no mysteries left now, to a device that was so shrouded in secrecy only two years ago. The marketing hype still makes me laugh, in hindsight.

I keep confusing it with the Leap Motion, and I'm honestly about the same¯\_(ツ)_/¯ for both of them

I'm most excited for new Vive controllers

• Options
    Yeah, they could have picked a better name.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    PSA: new content for Gorn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OGjeNhtQnY

CRAB UPDATE. That is all.

I need a Spider update.

Not for any game reason, just pretty obviously there should be a mode where you get attacked by spiders for like, no reason.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Fired up my Vive for the first time in a while to experience the crab, what madman added a 6 minute song to Beat Saber?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Everytime I don't buy Gorn on sale I regret it.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Has anyone played that Marvel game? Is it any good?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Gorn is fantastic, it's my go-to game when I just want to faff around in VR.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Everytime I don't buy Gorn on sale I regret it.

Yea, I just need to pull the trigger on that game.

Shoulder is .. "getting better" so ill likely get some beat saber in soon, really should fire up Payday 2 VR again, because that is also a hoot. Still would love to get a group of VR players together so we could all heist it up.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    I'm down for Payday2VR, so that's half a team.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    GSM wrote: »

I'm surprised I didn't get this by accident in all the humble bundles. What's the movement like in VR?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Space Pirate Trainer is some really damn great VR shooting. It's superbly implemented, and it's one of those surprising things that bullet-time in VR works but of course it does - it's exactly what VR is great for.

I haven't played Budget Cuts yet but I was treated to my wife playing it, and the visual of her standing in what I assume is the opening elevator, then screaming the first time she saw a robot person. Also trying to steal the pot plants immediately.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    If I could get a used Vive Pro for 350-450 bucks would it be something to jump on? I have a launch Vive already, so I can use the existing base stations and controllers, and sell the old headset with cables and accessories that I don't need anymore for 150-200 bucks.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    I'd say it depends on what games you're playing. A lot of VR games are designed to work with the low resolution of the Rift and Vive, while VR/non-VR sims like Elite, War Thunder and Project Cars suffer a lot from hard-to-read text or objects in the distance showing up as indistinguishable blobs.

And naturally it also depends on how valuable $150-300 is to you. I mean, I'd probably go for it. I don't think there's anything coming out in the next year that will make the Vive Pro obsolete.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    GSM wrote: »

I'm surprised I didn't get this by accident in all the humble bundles. What's the movement like in VR?

If you had Payday 2 previously then you already have the VR version.

Movement options are the usual suspects from teleport, to touchpad, I think there is even an arm swinger but I’d have to fire it up again to check.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
This discussion has been closed.