As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy]: the octagon is triangled

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Ah, I haven’t seen Tressa’s last skill. Sounds pretty cool!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    If you're super short on money I would suggest either running around with Therion and stealing all the coin bags and what not from everyone you can or just break some enemies and use Tressa's divine skill on them. Preferably with Surpassing Power. I could hit the damage cap with her around where you are, IIRC, so that's 10k+ a pop.

The most I’ve been able to do is 3k or so with damage buffs and armor nerfs. What’s your secret?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    If you're super short on money I would suggest either running around with Therion and stealing all the coin bags and what not from everyone you can or just break some enemies and use Tressa's divine skill on them. Preferably with Surpassing Power. I could hit the damage cap with her around where you are, IIRC, so that's 10k+ a pop.

The most I’ve been able to do is 3k or so with damage buffs and armor nerfs. What’s your secret?

The divine skills are real, real good. Also are you using your nuts? Those are permanent buffs!

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I just realized that I could just switch to the Thief job to open those chests, can't I? I assumed that I needed Therion.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I just realized that I could just switch to the Thief job to open those chests, can't I? I assumed that I needed Therion.

No, you need Therion.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Phew okay that's good I guess.

• Options
    Finished Ophelias story last night. That was really good. That last boss banter between the two was great.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    The merchant divine is magic based. Make sure you have a weap with a good elemental attack in her too.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

The divine skills are real, real good. Also are you using your nuts? Those are permanent buffs!

I'm afraid I'll never use my nuts. The RPG hoarder in me doesn't want to use those strictly limited items...

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

I don't think you can get more cash than your target's remaining HP, so Surpassing Power probably not that helpful for randoms.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Does Aelfric's Auspices work on Alfyn's Concoct?

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Trying to decide if I want to invest the time in this that it requires. Do characters not in the active party gain any xp? Can you switch out the entire party or are you always stuck with whoever you started with and can only switch out the other three?

I only have four of the characters so far but it feels like this is a long ass game.

• Options
    Trying to decide if I want to invest the time in this that it requires. Do characters not in the active party gain any xp? Can you switch out the entire party or are you always stuck with whoever you started with and can only switch out the other three?

I only have four of the characters so far but it feels like this is a long ass game.

It is a long game but it's really good. The person you picked first is there until you beat their chapter four. Characters not around don't get XP, but it's not at all hard to keep everyone up to par.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular

Active party only for experience.

For a chunk of the game you can only switch the 3 characters that you did not start with. Once you finish the main character's story they can be switched out also.

Catch up on experience seems to work fairly well. I barely used some of the characters and I'd toss them in the party with my higher levels and they'd catch up to their chapter levels fairly quickly while doing their story.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Cirira wrote: »

For a chunk of the game you can only switch the 3 characters that you did not start with. Once you finish the main character's story they can be switched out also.

Catch up on experience seems to work fairly well. I barely used some of the characters and I'd toss them in the party with my higher levels and they'd catch up to their chapter levels fairly quickly while doing their story.

Do the characters ever interact with each other?

So I am stuck with Olberic for a while. That's fine, he hits hard.

• Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    Occassionally you will see an option to press + and it will have some traveler banter. It's usually a short scene between two characters. I've seen one or two scenes with 3 characters though.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Cirira wrote: »

Do the characters ever interact with each other?

So I am stuck with Olberic for a while. That's fine, he hits hard.

Once you start into Chapter 2s, everyone in the active party will have some little quip to say to the active chapter's member about their current story at specific points. Which means the other 4 members also have something to say, but you won't know what unless you swap them in and out. It's usually little character beats that give some insight into their personalities.

Once you finish some Chapter 4s, you can eventually trigger multi-party member chats by entering a town pub, and that includes members not in the active party.
    Primrose for example will chat with Alfyn and Therion while they get drunk, and reminisces that her perfect man would be a cross between the two.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Did Alfyn's Ch3 last night. The boss was much harder for me than Olberic's for some reason. He hit like a fucking truck. Finally made use of Therion's shackle to bring down his damage to something more reasonable.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Starseer down. This...doesn't seem all that good? Nice defence buff and BP generation I suppose, the rest is pretty meh.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Starseer down. This...doesn't seem all that good? Nice defence buff and BP generation I suppose, the rest is pretty meh.

Tri-hit Wind/Light/Dark AoE spell is really good. All-in-one defense buff is good. Celestial Intervention (buff/debuff negation) is LEGIT. Divine Skill hits pretty damn hard.

It's a good support class. I slapped it on Ophilia, fits her pretty well.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    The real benefit to Starseer are the passives. Bonus JP, extra BP at combat start, crazy power boost when using bp, and a 25% chance to just flat-out ignore damage are all great.

• Options
    It's really, really strong on Primrose.

• Options
    It's really, really strong on Primrose.

Yeah, used it for Ophilia's final boss and it's just hilarious when you BP boost the whole party for 9 turns. Especially with a merchant around for their usual BP feeding. I would set the job just for that one ability. It's so strong to be able to crank out max boosted buffs and divines even faster.

• Options
    The bonus BP generation can also be gotten from Apothecary using Dohter's with Plums (literally have max BP forever), or even just Alfyn using Concoct

Starseer having it is nice, but, there are alternatives out there as well

I guess with Starseer you're not sacrificing one character to essentially become a buff-bot each turn, so that's a plus-side, I suppose.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Dibby wrote: »
    The bonus BP generation can also be gotten from Apothecary using Dohter's with Plums (literally have max BP forever), or even just Alfyn using Concoct

I guess with Starseer you're not sacrificing one character to essentially become a buff-bot each turn, so that's a plus-side, I suppose.

If they're not slinging buffs every turn what are you doing? Although in this case it's more they become a self-sustaining Sealticge+BP+other buffs slinger. But I will definitely say it's far less impressive than Sorcerer at a glance, even though sorcerer has basically just one move in 6 versions... the ease at which sorcerer becomes "break six shields a turn" is really good at completely shutting a boss down by breaking them immediately after they're back up (with leghold trap they end up getting their post break moves... then they get broken by two rounds of your party moving back to back - I'm assuming something will eventually be able to be dangerous despite this, but...)

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Dibby wrote: »

If they're not slinging buffs every turn what are you doing? Although in this case it's more they become a self-sustaining Sealticge+BP+other buffs slinger. But I will definitely say it's far less impressive than Sorcerer at a glance, even though sorcerer has basically just one move in 6 versions... the ease at which sorcerer becomes "break six shields a turn" is really good at completely shutting a boss down by breaking them immediately after they're back up (with leghold trap they end up getting their post break moves... then they get broken by two rounds of your party moving back to back - I'm assuming something will eventually be able to be dangerous despite this, but...)

Casting Shooting Stars, using skills from the main job, using a Divine Skill, casting Shooting Stars, casting Shooting Stars...........

Shooting Stars is real good.

Real talk though, you're always gonna have at least some downtime even with the support classes. Sometimes no one needs a buff or healing or anything. Especially if you're boosting a buff for 9 turns. Double especially if you're running Saving Grace (which, frankly, is OP as fuck).

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    The game's not balanced around any of the nonsense you can eventually do. It's all overkill. Even the secret boss gets destroyed if you set up the real OP nonsense.

• Options
    3 down, just warbringer to go.

It's pretty rough though, my Tressa is way underleveled and she's the only one could combo sidestep. My Primrose and Therion have ~800 evasion, I might just have to try and power through with max physical defence and incite on Olberic. Maybe switch him to merchant so he can sidestep himself?

sig.gif
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Finished all of the Chapter 3's, and am at a bit of an impasse. I was going to do some of those secret job dungeons, but it looks like the secret job dungeons are level 50 whereas the Chapter 4's are all level 45. I don't get it, what is the point of those secret jobs if the whole game can be beaten way before them? I've got a level 50, a 46, and the rest are 39-40, so I guess I'll do some Chapter 4's until I have party of 50's and then do the secrets?

• Options
    You can do the secrets with a decent party at your levels. If you want a hint for the most easily cheesed one...
    Take a Dancer and a Cleric to the Sorceror. Put Sealticgue's Seduction on your cleric, mass reflect spells, repeat. Boss dead.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    You can do the secrets with a decent party at your levels. If you want a hint for the most easily cheesed one...
    Take a Dancer and a Cleric to the Sorceror. Put Sealticgue's Seduction on your cleric, mass reflect spells, repeat. Boss dead.

Okay, so I'll admit something now. The boss spoken of in the spoiler? I had some trouble with that one.
    It dawned on me after my first wipe that "hey, if I can get Reflective Veil up on everyone, this boss is a joke". The problem was that he uses a mass Celestial Intervention on the party to prevent any further buffs from going up, so it's not something you can just do at your leisure.

Basically, I didn't realize that I could have used Leg Trap to ensure my party gets their full turn before he can re-apply the debuff so I could have set that up. I basically "lucked out" in one turn where the buff dropped at the start of the next turn, and just happened to have a party member ready to break his last shield so I could do the set up.

That took many more wipes than I care to admit.

So protip: Leghold Trap one turn before the debuff drops so you can put up mass reflect. And make sure your Dancer and Cleric keep fueled with BP because they're going to need a few turns of that combo to win the fight if that's your primary damage source. Alfyn Concoct for the win!

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options

Okay, so I'll admit something now. The boss spoken of in the spoiler? I had some trouble with that one.
    It dawned on me after my first wipe that "hey, if I can get Reflective Veil up on everyone, this boss is a joke". The problem was that he uses a mass Celestial Intervention on the party to prevent any further buffs from going up, so it's not something you can just do at your leisure.

Basically, I didn't realize that I could have used Leg Trap to ensure my party gets their full turn before he can re-apply the debuff so I could have set that up. I basically "lucked out" in one turn where the buff dropped at the start of the next turn, and just happened to have a party member ready to break his last shield so I could do the set up.

That took many more wipes than I care to admit.

So protip: Leghold Trap one turn before the debuff drops so you can put up mass reflect. And make sure your Dancer and Cleric keep fueled with BP because they're going to need a few turns of that combo to win the fight if that's your primary damage source. Alfyn Concoct for the win!

You can also just:
    heal aggressively through the debuff and not really try to do much damage until you can set up the veil.

• Options
    Man, ch3 Therion’s boss is rough.
    it usually takes me around three turns to break him, and during that time he ends up feeling or almost all the damage I do post break.

Some questions:

Do weapon stats favor into skill usage?
    Do enemies vulnerabilities alter damage? Like if an enemy is weak to Axes, should I switch to a higher damage sword or stick with the axe?
    Which non-super skills do the most damage by class?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Weapon stats don't stack, right? So a strong spear does more than a weak sword? Is there, then, a way to check weapon stats in a battle?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    it usually takes me around three turns to break him, and during that time he ends up feeling or almost all the damage I do post break.

Some questions:

Do enemies vulnerabilities alter damage? Like if an enemy is weak to Axes, should I switch to a higher damage sword or stick with the axe?

I don't believe enemy vulnerabilities affect damage normally. There's a passive that does that though.

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    Weapon stats don't stack, right? So a strong spear does more than a weak sword? Is there, then, a way to check weapon stats in a battle?

Yes, weapon stats only apply when they are being used. A 200 power sword will do more than a 150 spear because that attack value is only added to your characters physical attack when it is used.

Stats like +speed or something I honestly don't know, they may be active all the time but probably work like elemental attack - it takes the highest single value from all of your weapons but won't add multiple values together.

sig.gif
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular

Hahah, 50 hours in and I had no idea I had all those nuts. My peoples just had a grande feast of nuts.

• Options

Some questions:

Enemies take 30ish% more damage from their weakness pre break. Once the enemy breaks they take equal damage from everything.

There is a passive from Sorcerer that increases damage to weaknesses and that will also apply during break.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Yeah the optimal play for damage is use weaknesses until they break then switch to whatever does the most raw damage.

Weapons use whichever stat boost is the highest except for attack which is whatever you're attacking with.

One exception, it's possible to make weapons deal elemental damage. This extra damage is always based on the elemental attack of the weapon you are using.

• Options
    Tried the boss again and crushed him. Having Primrose cast AA on herself before dancing mass buffs to everyone is great. Feels good to discover that, although I feel like that is old news to some here. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page