As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, I went down to Balboa park, one of the big tourist areas, and it felt like there were twice as many people playing pokemon there as there were actual tourists

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The area I usually go to for community days didn't feel as busy as when it was one of the rarer and actually useful ones (like tyranitar) but still pretty busy.

I couldn't play at all on Sunday, so I just busted my hump on Saturday for 3 hours solid. I caught 14 shinies, evolved one of each of the 3 random ones and have some ready to go for the new ones coming out. Whilst waiting for my kids' swimming lessons I was also just randomly catching whatever was around and got another shiny, so 15 all up over 2 days. Most successful community day ever for me.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    WeX Majors wrote: »
    Guys I had such a great day today.
    I've never seen so many people playing this dumb game for babies, it was like the first few months. I guess Eevee's pretty popular? But yea, there were enough people playing that we even took down a Registeel and I caught it on first throw!
    Guys, I think I like this game? Like, alot?

This is such a perfect encapsulation of how rad this game can be when it works properly, and what it's actually about.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    Warlock's situation is the thing that most fascinates me about any sort of AR/MR/Location game, is how well does thing thing do if you're not in a city. Every game I've ever played works fine and I've taken them all over this dumb state, but I'd love to know how you folks in Ohio and Nebraska and Oklahoma (where I heard something about the wind.) have this game running for ya. Cause I know during the few times they'd get an article about em, the Jurassic Park developers were very adamant about making sure this game worked in Kansas as well as it did in Manhattan, but the size difference between the two games almost makes the point moot.

It works great for me in Oklahoma, though I play in a big metro area. I can only assume if you live out in the panhandle it would be terrible.

It did feel like this past community day was more populated than some. I go to a nice park downtown that has lots of stops and it was packed both Saturday and Sunday with people staring at their phones.

• Options
    The thing that really gets me though, is the amount of money this game makes why can't they just spend a bit more on testing or improving the code or whatever? When the friends list rolled out it looked like it had never been QAd at all. If I've been out of the game for more than 5 minutes, when I load back into the game it usually can't reconnect to the server. Also occasionally everything disappears for about 30 seconds then pops back in. I play in a capital city (which probably seems like a country town to most American cities, but still it has good phone service) and don't have any other GPS/connection issues with any other app.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    The thing that really gets me though, is the amount of money this game makes why can't they just spend a bit more on testing or improving the code or whatever? When the friends list rolled out it looked like it had never been QAd at all. If I've been out of the game for more than 5 minutes, when I load back into the game it usually can't reconnect to the server. Also occasionally everything disappears for about 30 seconds then pops back in. I play in a capital city (which probably seems like a country town to most American cities, but still it has good phone service) and don't have any other GPS/connection issues with any other app.

I'll be honest, I got like 60% of the way through this paragraph sure I was in the hearthstone thread.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    The thing where it's empty for 30s and everything pops back in is a soft lock against spoofers. Obviously it hinders real players more.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Guess we had to tackle the worst starter to date at some point.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    Anime Chikorita was the best gen 2 starter because it was the only pokemon not willing to put up with Pikachu favouritism.
    Still chose cyndaquil as my starter though.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    The only thing that would be worse than a Chikorita day would be an Aipom day.

• Options
    My wife and I have both now achieved the million km trading badge, so ty to all friends in this thread from Talonking and Purebarbell.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    So....
    That would mean you have scads of tradable non-Aus pokes to trade now, right?

• Options
    WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    As shouldn't necessarily be that shocking for someone who's been playing aggressively for two years, I've noticed that I've pretty much run out of things to go out and Catch. I still need the two of the Fire Starters, but that's about it. However, the thing that is kinda bumming me out is just how many Pokemon seem to simply NOT be available in the wild. I've got 80 something of Gen 2, and somehow 90 something from Gen 3, but they're all things I've only ever seen come out of Eggs which is kinda making the game unfun. I've got so many Ultra Balls because the idea of there being something difficult to catch around me these days is kind of a joke.
    Is this just me? Have I outpaced the game somehow?

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    So....
    I would, except I've now run out of incubators so it's about 1 egg a week. WoW is sucking up all my time after work atm, but once Gen4 launches I should be racking up some kms again.

• Options
    Evermourn wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    So....
    I would, except I've now run out of incubators so it's about 1 egg a week. WoW is sucking up all my time after work atm, but once Gen4 launches I should be racking up some kms again.

Does it work the other way?
    I really just need to figure out logistics I think.

• Options
    Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Evermourn wrote: »
    My wife and I have both now achieved the million km trading badge, so ty to all friends in this thread from Talonking and Purebarbell.

Woot! I've gotten good Aussie eggs from Purebarbell. Relatedly, I'm gonna go back to when we were all posting friend codes in the thread and have my wife buddy up with some: she keeps running out of pokeballs while I'm fighting filling my inventory and I think it's because I'm receiving more gifts.

So if you see a friend invite from Tootram*, fear not!
    (*or GlumFishbuns or VitaminB31, they're USA-WA and USA-CA)

Red Raevyn on
  • Options
    As shouldn't necessarily be that shocking for someone who's been playing aggressively for two years, I've noticed that I've pretty much run out of things to go out and Catch. I still need the two of the Fire Starters, but that's about it. However, the thing that is kinda bumming me out is just how many Pokemon seem to simply NOT be available in the wild. I've got 80 something of Gen 2, and somehow 90 something from Gen 3, but they're all things I've only ever seen come out of Eggs which is kinda making the game unfun. I've got so many Ultra Balls because the idea of there being something difficult to catch around me these days is kind of a joke.

I sort of feel this way, but only about a very limited number of Pokemon. Salamence and Metagross in particular are kind of difficult, for now, but hopefully they'll make it like Kirlia and have the basic or mid-stage forms available as raid bosses for people who want to track them down. I've done enough Kirlia raids that I can actually evolve a Gardevoir now, I just need to wait for the right one! But knowing other people who play it, and the community days, have done a LOT to make this game more interesting for me.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    https://pokemongolive.com/post/celebi-research

Celebi research coming Aug 20

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    So when it says increased Johto spawns.... does that include Unown? :3

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited August 2018

I play quite a bit, but still no where near as hardcore as some. Still don't have a salamence, milotic or metagross. No blaziken, cause even though it's almost always sunny where I am, that only seems to make Treeko spawn. None of the rarer ones like torcoal, relikanth, tropius (or are these regionals? Edit: yes these are regionals). I don't have a slaking or a ludicolo, but that's mostly my fault - should have walked them instead of ralts. I do have a full Kanto (149) and Johto (96) dex though (except for regionals and unown).

When I do see rarer ones spawn in the wild (like a Golem the other day, or a shellgon), they are A) crappy IV and B) I already have them.

KafkaAU on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I was all queued up to rant about Celebi taking away Mew but it seems for once Niantic are taking the sensible position that there’s no reason not have both up and let people work on them at their own pace. Shockingly sensible.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I was all queued up to rant about Celebi taking away Mew but it seems for once Niantic are taking the sensible position that there’s no reason not have both up and let people work on them at their own pace. Shockingly sensible.

They confirmed this ages ago

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    So when it says increased Johto spawns.... does that include Unown? :3

Good luck actually being able to get to a manually reported on in time, with an unknown (under 30 minutes) amount of time left on it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/98wbyr/celebi_quest_line/

Notable tasks include evolving with a Sun Stone, getting an Espeon and getting an Umbreon. Nothing *too* crazy though like the Gyarados tho...

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Nah.
    Notable tasks are
    Trading tasks.

discrider on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    If you care about what Prof. Willow says I'd shut down and restart Go, since I clicked on him and got lots of TEXT_GOES_HERE_01 boxes.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    If you care about what Prof. Willow says I'd shut down and restart Go, since I clicked on him and got lots of TEXT_GOES_HERE_01 boxes.

That's what my friend got too. I had the app off and launched it fresh at 3 and he worked fine for me.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    First step is the easy one, but I wouldn't have evolved an umbreon last week had I known it was going to be a step at some point in this research. Oh well, just another 10km to walk with an Eevee.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Daimar wrote: »
    First step is the easy one, but I wouldn't have evolved an umbreon last week had I known it was going to be a step at some point in this research. Oh well, just another 10km to walk with an Eevee.

Yeah at least it's fairly easy to grind out, unlike trying to evolve a Gyarados :P

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Daimar wrote: »

Yeah at least it's fairly easy to grind out, unlike trying to evolve a Gyarados :P

True, though I just got enough candy to evolve my 2nd one, so I'm waiting until I see a shiney Magicarp before I pull the trigger on that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I need a couple more new friends if anyone is still looking for friendos. 0193 1225 6087.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SunrizeSunrize Registered User regular
    Kafka I just added you. I also need a few more, I'm at 6689 8944 0491

• Options
    KizmittKizmitt Registered User regular
    I am also in the market for more friends. You can find me at 6389 2562 2467.
    But those 15 people who are already friends with me might tell you that I don't send out many gifts. But I'll always open them.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I also need friends so I'll add you all as well

9076 9981 5554

Magell on
  • Options
    Snow DogsSnow Dogs Registered User regular
    I'm keen for new friends, hit me up with 4462 7747 7810

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stranger.
  • Options
    Is it just me, or did some of the colors change with this recent(ish) patch. Notably, pidgeys are greener and blissy's pouch went from white to light pink?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I would wear that Celebi shirt in real life, and I think Celebi is a little onion demon that deserves to get hit by a Bug Type move.

• Options
    My app is snapping back from VR mode all the time when I start a catch now...
    But otherwise... Yes, feed me more friendsss...