As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Hehe… just read the Space Wolf article on WarCom; living lightning or, how to decapitate AM armies with one power, is worth the price of entry alone…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Yeah, they got me. I’ve been thinking of a SW successor for a while now. The new codex is gonna be the thing that pushes me over the edge.

• It BurnsIt Burns Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I tought I was out... Been in rehab for almost a decade, no GW minis for me... Nope!
    Then I saw Kill Team and bought 3 boxes of Tau stuff. It's not going to stop here is it?
    So.. Hello again people. Hooray for painting minis!

It Burns on
    The slowest painter. Ever.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    What is a good way to convert the assault bolter Interceptors from the Dark Imperium box to plasma exterminators? I checked ebay but I couldn't find any plasma exterminators being sold.

In the US
    I find them in Europe and Oz just I don't feel it's worth the price in shipping

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.
    - It Burns, probably

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Yeah, they got me. I’ve been thinking of a SW successor for a while now. The new codex is gonna be the thing that pushes me over the edge.

Those two-part sagas are what got me grinning like a loon but I gotta say, the smite that keeps on smiting is a beast for only casting on a six…

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    SW continue their long history of having the best totally not psychic powers because sorcery is evil and our rune casters don't touch the warp.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    What is a good way to convert the assault bolter Interceptors from the Dark Imperium box to plasma exterminators? I checked ebay but I couldn't find any plasma exterminators being sold.

In the US
    I find them in Europe and Oz just I don't feel it's worth the price in shipping

What do you mean?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Okay, I may have just bought the SW Start Collecting Box and a box of Tac marines, plus a handful of paints to try out this color scheme I’ve got in my head. Curse you GW, you did it again.

Question. I want to do the Thunder Wolves in white. I’ve never done fur before, but my gut says prime them white, a base coat of an off-white, a wash of really light brown, then dry brush with a nice bright white. Does that seem like it’ll work or am I missing something?

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I think that you're starting off too light. For a more natural color, you're going to want to start off with a colored basecoat of some sort over the white primer. Light brown or reddish would probably be a good base for fur.

Also remember that most arctic-white creatures have black skin under the fur, mostly because they live in a high-UV environment.
    I’d undercoat gloss black, hit that with a mid-grey base coat but not be too careful about joints where the fur is thinner and the skin more exposed, then dry brush up to brilliant white in as many stages as you feel like taking. Maybe throw in some metallic medium on the last layer because polar bear fur is hollow and does odd things to the light.

Good stuff to know. I’ll try black primer, then a brown, then white layers on the first and see how it looks.

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    @Mr_Rose I think you're focusing a bit too much about the realism part and not thinking about the economy of time. I'm talking about the time to effect ratio.
    I would certainly never ever prime black to achieve a white effect. I'd say prime Grey and build up or prime white and wash heavily to get a good start.
    I would start with a mix of black wash, water and a lil' bit of white paint as a wash.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Picked up the Killteam box and the Ork starter last night, as well as some grots (and Storm Strike... shhhhhh).

I'm gonna have a lot of stuff to build this weekend.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Good stuff to know. I’ll try black primer, then a brown, then white layers on the first and see how it looks.

I mean, the 'new' GW base white is good enough that you CAN reasonably go from black to white, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. I'd certainly never go it. For the color scheme you presented, a white primer, and then colored basecoat should be more than enough.

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Those two-part sagas are what got me grinning like a loon but I gotta say, the smite that keeps on smiting is a beast for only casting on a six…

apparently it can be upgraded using a stratagem

i'm actually pretty down on this codex, saw rumours of stuff that's now only available in the index and it has me sour. i'll wait until the details shake out before I bitch though.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Ugh, I got to read the Adeptus Titanicus rules at my local GW today because I am going to help run demo games tomorrow.

I think it might be my favorite GW rules ever.

Ugh my wallet.

I kind of want to buy the Space Wolves starter box just for fun. I have 3 Thunderwolves as of right now and 3 more would be cool plus I want the HQ that comes with it. I just don't really need more Grey Hunters.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

Okay, I may have just bought the SW Start Collecting Box and a box of Tac marines, plus a handful of paints to try out this color scheme I’ve got in my head. Curse you GW, you did it again.

Question. I want to do the Thunder Wolves in white. I’ve never done fur before, but my gut says prime them white, a base coat of an off-white, a wash of really light brown, then dry brush with a nice bright white. Does that seem like it’ll work or am I missing something?

painted my share of thunderwolves. don't think i would shade brown in the undercoat unless i wanted the wolf to be brown.

white wolves are really easy - prime them black - or grey - and build it up with drybrushes of brighter greys to white (more than one drybrush is a thing). substituting shades of grey for shades of bone will also work. if you want to add some splashes of brown to the fur, i would wash afterwards.

the key to making it look right is actually figuring out which details of the wolf need to be black - around the eyes, lips, nose, ears.

Matrias wrote: »

painted my share of thunderwolves. don't think i would shade brown in the undercoat unless i wanted the wolf to be brown.

white wolves are really easy - prime them black - or grey - and build it up with drybrushes of brighter greys to white (more than one drybrush is a thing). substituting shades of grey for shades of bone will also work. if you want to add some splashes of brown to the fur, i would wash afterwards.

the key to making it look right is actually figuring out which details of the wolf need to be black - around the eyes, lips, nose, ears.

Gracias

I’ve got two assembled so far. Learned a valuable tip. Put the feet on the legs before putting the legs on the body. I did it the other way ‘round and had a hell off a time getting a couple of the feet on the second one due two the pose. Won’t make that mistake again.

Tomorrow my local game shop is having a mini painting clinic. I want to get all 3 wolves and a few tac marines assembled to take. I know I want my color scheme to be grey and gold, but what shade grey and gold is the question. I went and bought every grey Citadel sells, I’ll try a couple and see what I like the look of.

What colors would be good to grab for black, brown, tan, and white wolf pelts? Was thinking about grabbing some paints for it to paint the pelts my Space Wolves are wearing.

edited August 2018
    What colors would be good to grab for black, brown, tan, and white wolf pelts? Was thinking about grabbing some paints for it to paint the pelts my Space Wolves are wearing.

Mechanicum Standard Grey (black, grey fur) and Zandri Dust (brown, tan) are good base colours. Get a couple bright greys and whites and ushanti bone for drybrushing.

The main thing that helps do fur are the shade paints. I use a shit ton of nuln oil and agrax earthshade and Seraphim sepia to basically just stain the fur to the colour i want and then using drybrushes to build the colour back up.
    For example, If you want tan, go light on the agrax or use sepia, if you want brown go heavy with it.

Matrias on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    News from Warhammer Fest
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/08/18/18th-aug-warhammer-fest-europe-live-bloggw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-1/
    I love the dragster! Especially that the squig called shotgun over the gretchin.

honovere wrote: »
    News from Warhammer Fest
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/08/18/18th-aug-warhammer-fest-europe-live-bloggw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-1/
    I love the dragster! Especially that the squig called shotgun over the gretchin.
    And the Grot is still arguing with it mid-race…

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Check out the giant ork lurking in the buggy dust. Skarboyz comin’ for ya.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Oh, but those SoB weapons! Plus I’m now totally convinced these renders are directly from the CAM files and so will be what the plastic pieces look like. Some people were concerned about that.

CG renders from random miniature kickstarters and whatnot, yeah take those with a couple shakers of salt. GW renders though? Whatever complains anyone may have about them as a company, their current range of plastic are the best in the industry. Those things will look exactly the same. Getting them off the sprue in one piece on the other hand...

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/orWCjfUcBTI

I am grinning ear to ear with this.

Also I might grab the DW kill team box. That gives me 20 vets and I am good with that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Love the rogue trader part of the box. Hate the nurgle part of it.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    Got the pre order for the collector codex for Space Wolves. Went with next day shipping so it was more expensive than I had wanted but what ever. So glad I started my new job or else I wouldn't be able to even afford the normal codex.
    Matrias wrote: »

Mechanicum Standard Grey (black, grey fur) and Zandri Dust (brown, tan) are good base colours. Get a couple bright greys and whites and ushanti bone for drybrushing.

The main thing that helps do fur are the shade paints. I use a shit ton of nuln oil and agrax earthshade and Seraphim sepia to basically just stain the fur to the colour i want and then using drybrushes to build the colour back up.
    For example, If you want tan, go light on the agrax or use sepia, if you want brown go heavy with it.

Alright, I'll see what I have for some black, grey, and white colors already and fill in with some brown and tan colors and some brighter colors as well. Thank you for the advice.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

i am surprised it's part of kill team

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular

Technically the article says the models will have rules for using these models in both 40k and kill team.

TheGerbil wrote: »

Technically the article says the models will have rules for using these models in both 40k and kill team.

The boxed set is caked “Kill Team: Rogue Trader” – it’s a RT expansion that might have a single data slate for using Ms. Vhane and her remaining loyal crew as a squad in 40k.

I've never bought scouts and I'm pretty sure I got these in a trade but and they are scouts except the two I circled. I have no idea what they are. Does anyone know?
    FFwNZcD.jpg
    lS0m9vc.jpg
    9btWtDp.jpg

The bald guy is Sgt. Telion, he's an Ultramarine scout character. No idea on the other guy though. Might just be an old UM captain model or something. Cool looking model, at any rate.

The bald guy is Sgt. Telion, he's an Ultramarine scout character. No idea on the other guy though. Might just be an old UM captain model or something. Cool looking model, at any rate.

Yea, I like him. I just need to see if I have his other arm some where. I also need to clean him up some.

No idea what I can do with Telion though. I think I got him when I bought a box of 3 land speeders from someone and they just tossed some extra stuff in.

It would be neat to at least have rules for mutants. There’s daemons sure, and zombies, but nothing for gross mutant people corrupted by Chaos that aren’t whole hog daemonic. Who knows, maybe a full-on Lost and the Damned army is in the works that won’t need a thousand dollars of forgeworld.

Is this a wolf pack leader? I bought a big majority of my Space Wolves off someone on these forums years ago. I never figured this model out.

5CEZH4s.jpg

Speaking of Telion, I just saw a Blood Angels conversion that looked pretty cool. The model is in resin now so the Ultramarine logos are easy to remove. I think I'm going to pick one up when I get the chance and (if the arms match up) replace his bolter for a sniper rifle and use him in my Killteam with my homebrew chapter's colors.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So, built some Possessed for my death guard, but the basic possessed kit is kinda generic, and I had some spare 3rd part resin parts from a goody bag so I kitbashed some more Nurglesq ones