As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP • Monster of the Week] City of New Eden (1980's) [OOC]

MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizardRegistered User regular
edited August 2018 in Critical Failures
Monster of the Week - The Witching Hour
Monster of the Week - A Fight at the Museum
Welcome to MONSTER OF THE WEEK.

Monster of the Week is a PbtA game emulating styles and themes of the weekly adventures of such characters as: Sam and Dean Winchester, Buffy Summers, Ashley Williams, Agents Mulder and Scully, and all the others who manage to solve an evil threat in the course of one primetime evening hour.

As this is a Powered by the Apocalypse game, the players will pick an Archetype, also known as a playbook.

MotW Playbooks (.PDF)

The Playbooks:
The Chosen - Chosen by fate/god/something to fight the darkness.
The Crooked - Even the Supernatural has their grifters, cons and thieves.
The Divine - A beacon of power and light, put on earth for a purpose.
The Expert - Knowledge is power, this fact transcends mortals and monsters.
The Flake - Sometimes only the outcasts can see the truth.
The Initiate - Ancient sects and orders, protecting us all since antiquity.
The Monstrous - Creatures that turn the conflict within themselves against evil.
The Mundane - In a world of monsters, you stand by your friends.
The Professional - Government Agents or Bounty Hunters, hunting monsters as a day job.
The Spell-Slinger - Fire? Lightning? Ice? How about you throw a bit of that other worldly power back at them.
The Spooky - Why do I have these powers? Why can’t I understand? What do they mean?
The Wronged - They took everything… and I won't rest till all those things are dead in the dirt.

Characters will manipulate the narrative through use of ‘moves’ and rolling 2d6.
Hunter Agenda and Move List (.PDF)

I am looking for 4-6 Players. No doubling up on Playbooks.
UPDATE - Due to interest we are going to do 2 split groups of 4!

1. MrTLicious || Absalom "Abe" Jones || The Expert
2. AustinP0027 || Michael || The Chosen
3. Auralynx || Yuri? || The Divine
4. jdarksun || Franklin Night (aka Josh Burke) || The Mundane

1. Reynolds || Maxwell "Max" Maxwell, III || The Crooked
2. Discrider || Broker || The Monstrous
3. Fencingsax || Sammy || The Flake
4. Egos || Bastian "Felsted" Fane || The Initiate

There's lots of discussion involved with character generation, so once we get everyone established we should be able to start a few days after.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
MagicPrime on

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Totally in. Read through all the playbooks and have a serious case of “can’t choose just one”.

Thinking Divine or Chosen one, leaning divine with healing (and no big boss)

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Leaning towards The Crooked or The Spooky. But I might wait to see what a few other people are thinking. And look again when I have the time to make a proper character.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I am hoping this picks up some more attention over the weekend and we can start working on histories.

• Options
    @jdarksun @Auralynx since they mentioned interest in the sign up

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Took a stab at a start, but character building is my favorite part of most games so if someone feels strongly about making a Divine, I can easily build something else.

No names or anything yet just the stats.
    Name: Raphael
    Charm: -1
    Cool: +2
    Sharp: -1
    Tough: +2
    Weird: +0

Moves:
    Smite
    Soothe
    Lay on Hands

Gear:
    Flaming Sword (3 harm hand fire holy)
    Divine Armor (1-armor holy)

Mission:
    End of Days approaches. You are here to guide these hunters and prevent it from coming to pass.

Appearance:
    Man, glowing eyes, perfect suit

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Would be interested in playing an Iniate, Crooked, Flake or Professional (roughly in that order) . Whatever would fit best

• Options
    @Egos - It's really up to the players to figure out what fits, but I will certainly add my 2-cents from a world aspect. It's pretty open, we will be doing world building as we play.

• Options
    Here is a map of New Eden in the state of [REDACTED]. The city goes past the edges of the map a few miles before becoming various swamps, forests and wild lands.

u9bs7xvyf81p.png

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    I'd be interested in taking either an expert or a spell slinger (or others but those jumped out)

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    So made an Initiate, since I'm sorta gravitating toward that or the Flake more. Figured giving the MC a sect would be fun.
    Name: "Felsted" or Bastian Fane
    Charm-1, Cool+1, Sharp=0, Tough+1, Weird+2
    Masked, Angular Body, Mismatched Clothing

Moves
    • When you are in good standing with your Sect, at
      the beginning of each mystery
      , roll +Charm. On
      a 10+ they provide some useful info or help in the
      field. On a 7-9 you get a mission associated with the
      mystery, and if you do it you’ll get some info or help
      too. On a miss, they ask you to do something bad.
      If you fail a mission or refuse an order, you’ll be in
      trouble with the Sect until you atone.
    • Ancient Fighting Arts: When using an old-fashioned
      hand weapon, you inflict +1 harm and get +1
      whenever you roll protect someone
    • Fortunes: The Sect has ancient prophecies or divination
      techniques to predict the future. Once per
      mystery, you may use them. If you look at what the
      future holds, roll +Weird. On a 10+ hold 3, and on
      a 7-9 hold 1. On a miss, you get bad information and
      the Keeper decides how that affects you. Spend your
      hold to:
      • have a useful object ready.
      • be somewhere you are needed, just in time.
      • take +1 forward, or give +1 forward to another
      hunter.
      • retroactively warn someone about an attack, so
      that it doesn’t happen.
    • That Old Black Magic: When you use magic, you
      can ask a question from the investigate a mystery
      move as your effect.

Gear
    • Silver knife (1-harm hand silver)
    • Crossbow (2-harm close slow)
    • Magnum (3-harm close reload loud)

Sect
    • Chapters everywhere
    • Flexible tactics
    • Factionalised

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    This sounds like fun! Never played a PBtA game, though - is that an issue? If not, how about a Crooked?

• Options
    Posting a character, is being interpreted as 'claiming' that book, if you want to change later that's fine. Any of the archetypes are fair game, the only part you can't do solo is the stuff that weaves everyone together, the playbook actually has that portion marked to stop and collaborate.

• Options
    @MrTLicious - The good thing about the Expert is that it comes with a Haven as a character theme.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Name: Broker
    Book: Monstrous
    Charm=0, Cool-1, Sharp+2, Tough-1, Weird+3
    Man, Sinister Aura, Tailored Clothing
    Monster Breed: Thin Man
    Curse: Feed (Sanity)
    XP: |
    Harm: |

Natural Attacks
    Base: claws (2-harm hand)
    Base: life-drain (1-harm intimate life-drain)

Moves
    • Unholy Strength: Roll +Weird instead of +Tough when you kick some ass.
    • Dark Negotiator: You can use the manipulate someone move on monsters as well as people, if they can reason and talk

Gear
    • Magnum (3-harm close reload loud)
    Hisstory:
    Broker:
    @Fencingsax - Sammy
    Has been intruding on my, good graces for longer than is safe.
    Saw me at some.. business meetings with potential new placements for the cult.
    Headhunting. Hmhmm.
    We had you, for dinner at one point. You must have, caught, me on a bad night and escaped. How did you do that?
    Perhaps you should, also consider more carefully what you pursue into the dark.

@Egos - Bastian
    You and yours were, instrumental in my successful capture and release. Your cult bound and saved me from, my excesses.
    You are currently, my holder.

@Reynolds - Max
    We had a, business dealing. It was interrupted I believe. Ghouls.
    We had them at hand. Or well, I had them at hand and you had them at gun. Ah ha.
    I tried to reconvene afterwards but then there was, the screaming.
    I think we then left both, to change our suits though you seemed to be in the greater hurry.

@jdarksun - Mr Franklin Night
    During one of your, I'm sure, grainy and distorted adventures, you managed to interrupt another hunter during which I, vacated the scene.
    How did you manage to frustrate my death?

A special episode of Night Moves! We venture deep into the woods and an abandoned bunker IN SEARCH OF bigfoot and ghosts and certainly not a disturbingly thin well-dressed individual in the woods! We team up with a suspiciously well-armed "local" who claims he is a "deer hunter" and "totally not here to kill monsters, I promise!" Amature hunters, especially heavily armed ones, can put civilians in danger - and sometimes they need to be checked up on! Or evaluated! And if they fail, told they pose a danger to themselves and others, then humiliated on national TV - no one will take them seriously afterwards!

@Auralynx - Divine
    Is a dangerous vagabond.

discrider on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna have a try with the Flake.
    Name:Sammy
    Look:Concealed, Moving Eyes, Rumpled Suit
    Charm-1, Cool-1, Sharp+2, Tough=0, Weird+2

Moves
    Suspicious Mind: If someone lies to you, you know it

Connect the Dots: At the beginning of each mystery, if you look for the wider patterns that current events might be part of, roll +Sharp. On a 10+ hold 3, and on a 7-9 hold 1. Spend your hold during the mystery to ask the Keeper any one of the following
    questions:
    • Is this person connected to current events more
    than they are saying?
    • When and where will the next critical event
    occur?
    • What does the monster want from this person?
    • Is this connected to previous mysteries we have
    investigated?
    • How does this mystery connect to the bigger
    picture?

Sneaky: When you attack from ambush, or from
    behind, inflict +2 harm.

Gear
    Hunting rifle (2-harm far loud)
    Weighted gloves(1-harm hand)
    Throwing knives (1-harm close many)

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I am very into Chosen Divine if you haven't filled up with people who got in here quicker! Gotta remember where I put my hard-copy. I might've handed it off to a friend.

I see you have one already, though! Let me regroup and see if I have anything else. Can probably have some fun w/ Mundane, given what everyone else has put in.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    I'll see if I can get something up after Summerslam tonight.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Auralynx wrote: »
    I am very into Chosen Divine if you haven't filled up with people who got in here quicker! Gotta remember where I put my hard-copy. I might've handed it off to a friend.

I see you have one already, though! Let me regroup and see if I have anything else. Can probably have some fun w/ Mundane, given what everyone else has put in.

@Auralynx if you’re super attached to divine, I can switch. My other top choice was chosen one, so I can just as easy create one of those. Wasn’t super attached to either honestly

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Just to show I'm just as happy with Chosen One.
    Name: Michael Cross
    Charm: -1
    Cool: +2
    Sharp: +1
    Tough: +2
    Weird: -1

Moves:
    Destiny's Plaything
    I'm Here for a Reason (to be worked out with MagicPrime)
    Dutiful

Gear:
    Special weapon - handle silver artifact blade long (magic +1 harm close)
    Protective gear (1-armor)

Fate
    How you found out - An ancient cult found you
    Heroic - You are the Champion, Secret training
    Doom - A nemesis, hosts of monsters

Appearance:
    Man, Fresh face, casual wear

XP:
    1 of 5

Histories (will clean this later):
    AustinP0027 - Michael's prayers summoned me, in a less-than-literal sense. After his / Abe's mentor Oberon died, Briael received instructions from Above to intervene in New Eden. It took a while for Briael to actually locate the Chosen One, but eventually they linked up. Briael's utility as a mentor is somewhat limited, unless you wanted to know how to punch a man's soul directly out of his body. Briael knows a lot about that kind of thing.

Let's go ahead and wrap that Hellhound event up into the big event as well. Abe and AustinP saved you, then you managed to save Auralynx (of all people!) from a straggler that got the drop on him. In doing so you kinda 'proved yourself' so Abe and Austin keep your around, maybe begrudgingly for Auralynx. Since he thinks as a vanilla human you shouldn't be involved.

That might be a good injoke as well. The big bad Divine guardian sent from heaven on high got saved by a normie.

AustinP0017 - Look, it's not personal, but trouble follows Michael. And while that's good for ratings, it's dangerous for everyone around you. You never know when the guy at the jukebox is just chilling listening to Blue Oyster Cult, or is totally a cultist with one of them weird axe-sword things that's going to suddenly try and kill Michael in the middle of his Grand Slam Breakfast after a long night of monster killing. Denny's is never going to be the same for Josh, Michael. He's never going to be able to look at another Grand Slam without seeing blood on his ham.

Austin/Auralynx - Lets' not worry about your missions and purposes right now. I would rather this be something that comes up later. And lets make a little nudge to Auralynx in that he was 'sent' to Austin a few months after Oberon's death. This could still be due to a prayer from Austin asking for 'help' -- but the major catalyst was his master being taken from him.

Austin/MrTLicious - Your master's name was Oberon. He was the leader of the religious cult. He was a very old man, but didn't seem to show any physical signs of his old age other than appearance. A few years back you were both contacted by him to meet at a safe house. When you got there Oberon was dead. An iron stiletto through his heart. This event led to you putting aside your differences and start working together.

AustinP0027 Old friends, who originally met through a long chain
    of coincidences.
    Spoiler
    It was nothing really special. One summer, Sammy lost a special baseball card. He knew he dropped it in the capitol building of [Redacted] when they visited for school. Somehow, Michael, who came the next year, found it, and returned it.They've been friends ever since.

MrTLicious - A rival at first, but you came to a working arrangement. (I don't know if this is me tell you or mutual agreement, so let me know if you have thoughts)
    When Michael and Abe first met, they weren't on the best of terms. Abe was more experienced, and had put the time into his craft. Michael was the new upstart who has been chosen to do this, and obviously they both rubbed each other the wrong way. Over time, they learned to work together towards the common goal. They still occasionally pick at each other, Michael doesn't like that Abe doesn't accept the fact that he was chosen, but they have slowly gotten past their major issues to be able to work together regularly.

Auralynx - (this is an easy one with a Divine)
    They are destined to be your mentor. Tell them how
    this was revealed.
    The ancient cult that found Michael had made it clear from the beginning that he would require Divine intervention to be able to succeed in his destiny. Michael had always thought that meant a specific act from above, or maybe being gifted some type of power. Instead, it was an actual person, or, more specifically, a being. When he met "INSERT DIVINE'S NAME HERE", Michael knew immediately that the Divine intervention that he would need was mentoring from "INSERT DIVINE'S NAME HERE"

jdarksun -
    You saved their life, back when they didn’t know monsters
    were real. Tell them what you saved them from
    Josh was filming an episode for his show, when he stumbled on a pack of werewolves that were the actual cause of the disappearances that had been wrongly attributed to some sort of haunting. Michael had been in the area hunting the werewolves, and managed to save Josh (but not his cameraman).

Other Crew:
    Fencingsax - Your best friend in the world, who you trust totally.
    Sammy and Michael grew up together, and while their paths diverged, they still keep in touch regularly.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    A character!
    Playbook: The Expert
    Name: Absalom "Abe" Jones
    Look: Man, lined face, old-fashioned clothes
    Charm+1, Cool-1, Sharp+2, Tough+1, Weird=0

Luck: 0
    Harm: 0
    Unstable: No
    XP: 0

Moves:
    I’ve Read About This Sort Of Thing: Roll +Sharp instead of +Cool when you act under pressure.
    Often Right: When a hunter comes to you for advice about a problem, give them your honest opinion and advice. If they take your advice, they get +1 ongoing while following your advice, and you mark experience.

Haven:
    Armory: You have a stockpile of mystical and rare monster-killing weapons and items. If you need a special weapon, roll +Weird. On a 10+ you have it (and plenty if that matters). On a 7-9 you have it, but only the minimum. On a miss, you’ve got the wrong thing.
    Infirmary: You can heal people, and have the space for one or two to recuperate. The Keeper will tell you how long any patient’s recovery is likely to take, and if you need extra supplies or help.
    Magical Laboratory: You have a mystical lab with all kinds of weird ingredients and tools useful for casting spells (like the use magic move, big magic, and any other magical moves).

Gear:
    Flamethrower (3-harm close fire heavy volatile)
    Blessed knife (2-harm hand holy)
    Juju bag (1-harm far magic)

MrTLicious on
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I'm gonna put together a Monstrous this afternoon.

Looks like someone already took monstorus up above.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Oh, was going by the OP.

I will update. I just woke up.

I don't think there is a better way to do this other than first-come-first-serve. I am going to bump the characters up to 6, which I think will still work ok. But unless someone decides to set out we will have to close submissions after whoever posts a character next.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    @AustinP0027 - Try to get 'locked in' on your character tonight, and we will start the character connections portion tomorrow. I am at work all day but I can check the forums regularly. I work 8-5PM EST.

• Options
    @MrTLicious - Start thinking about your haven. That city map up top is blank for a reason, so far as neighborhoods and regions of the city it's all up in the open. So think about what kind of area you might live in, and where it might fit up there. It could be a 'Little Asia' or loft in a industrial section. Really leaving this up to you to weave in, and I will help with the details.

• Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    @AustinP0027 - Try to get 'locked in' on your character tonight, and we will start the character connections portion tomorrow. I am at work all day but I can check the forums regularly. I work 8-5PM EST.

Yep, just waiting for who takes the last spot. If Aura takes it with a Divine, I’ll play Chosen, otherwise, I’ll play divine

• Options
    Oh, and as I said in the OP - this 'show' is taking place in the nebulous 80's era. So keep that in mind when you are thinking about character personalities and what they may own.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Submitted for the approval of the City of New Eden, I give you...

Franklin Night (aka Josh Burke), The Mundane
    Charm+2, Cool+1, Sharp=0, Tough+1, Weird-1
    Moves:
    • Let's Get Out Of Here!
    • The Power of Heart
    • Trust Me
    Gear:
    • Nunchuks
    • Pocketknife
    • Van
    Man, trustworthy face, sporty clothes.

Franklin Night (or Franklyn Nyte if you wanna go full camp) is the stage-name of Josh Burke, one-man showrunner for Night Moves (or Nyte Moves) - a believe-it-or-not style television show specializing in shakily-recorded VHS tapes of supernatural events and over-dramatized voice-overs. Franklin is often depicted as the hero in these unbelievable encounters, though whether that is true or just clever editing is known only to the showrunner.

Histories:
    • MrTLicious - Abe's my hero, though Josh, like, is totally cool about it. We're surrounded by all this weird shit, but Abe's just a regular guy! He's not, like, secretly a werewolf or half-alien or like literally an angel or any shit like that. And that's rad. Just a big ass bag armory and guts for miles. Oh, and a flamethrower, which helps.
    • AustinP0017 - Look, it's not personal, but trouble follows Michael. And while that's good for ratings, it's dangerous for everyone around you. You never know when the guy at the jukebox is just chilling listening to Blue Oyster Cult, or is totally a cultist with one of them weird axe-sword things that's going to suddenly try and kill Michael in the middle of his Grand Slam Breakfast after a long night of monster killing. Denny's is never going to be the same for Josh, Michael. He's never going to be able to look at another Grand Slam without seeing blood on his ham.
    • Auralynx - Josh saved Yuri's (don't know your character's name, but flaming sword + divine = Uriel in my mind) life while fighting a pack of hellhounds. Yuri was holding his own just fine, but one member of the pack was sneaking up on you and Josh just, like, totally unloaded on it. "Yeah, pretty wicked right?" Josh said with his foot on the corpse. "That's my own fighting style, I call it Josh-jitsu. The secret is kicking something really hard, then hitting it in the face with my nunchuks." Josh swung a nunchuk to emphasis the effect. "It's OK to be impressed, I get that a lot."
    • Reynolds - Josh and Max are (half?) brothers, and while they have different last names the physical resemblances are unmistakable. Josh keeps trying to get you to come on the show, telling Max that "you've got the sort of face the cameras love! Trust me, I know!" Whether Max finds Josh well meaning or just insufferable is up to you. :) (also whether Josh is trying to distance himself from the money that made Night Moves possible, or if they only share one parent)

jdarksun on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    AustinP0027 - Try to get 'locked in' on your character tonight, and we will start the character connections portion tomorrow. I am at work all day but I can check the forums regularly. I work 8-5PM EST.

Yep, just waiting for who takes the last spot. If Aura takes it with a Divine, I’ll play Chosen, otherwise, I’ll play divine

S'alright, take Jdark.

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Maxwell "Max" Maxwell, III: The Crooked
    ljzycfjhkjin.jpg

Look: Man, watchful eyes, tailored suit

Charm +2 / Cool +1 / Sharp +1 / Tough 0 / Weird -1

Luck: 7/7
    Harm: 0/7
    Unstable: NO
    Experience: 1/5

Fixer: If you need to buy something, sell something, or hire someone, Roll +Charm. On a 10+ you know just the person who will be interested. On a 7-9 you know the only person who can do it, but there’s a complication. Pick one: you owe them; they screwed you over; you screwed them over. On a miss, the only person who can help is someone who absolutely hates you.
    Friends on the Force: You know a few cops who can be persuaded to look the other way, or do you a favor, for certain considerations. You can Act Under Pressure to get in touch with them when you need to divert any law enforcement attention. There will be a cost, although maybe not right now.
    Home Ground: Your crew made a point of keeping the locals happy - keeping them safe, ensuring things always went down okay. When you’re back in your old neighborhood, you can always find people who will hide you or help you with a minor favor, no questions asked.

Heat:
    You have a rival from your background, (???), who never misses a chance to screw you over.
    You pissed off a well-connected criminal, (???), and they’ll do whatever they can to destroy you.

Underworld: Things went south on a job—including, but not limited to, running into a hunger of ghouls.

Gear: 9mm (2-harm, close, loud); Baseball Bat (1-harm, hand); Submachine Gun (2-harm, close, reload, auto)

Max was born in New Eden, if not exactly raised there. Boarding schools, summers in Europe, winters on the slopes, college years studying abroad. But he always had a more than comfortable home to return to. His family was relatively old money, and all he had to do was coast through life, avoid getting in any major trouble, and collect his inheritance. Of course, he couldn't keep his nose clean or his grades up, and too much of 'his' money was spent cleaning up his messes. So after being retrieved from his latest bender overseas, Max was hauled back home and given an ultimatum. One last chance. Take a cushy job working for a family friend, put that crummy art history degree they'd paid for to good use, and don't screw anything up.

So, of course he screwed everything up.

But, in Max's defense, nobody warned him about the zombies. Or whatever they were. He was on his (relatively) best behavior, entertaining their client while running the auction for a very strange painting the client was begrudgingly parting with, when the party turned into a bloodbath. Max made it out alive, stumbling back home to the Maxwell estate covered in gore, raving about monsters. The mess was quietly cleaned up, as usual, although this time things were...different. His employer was strangely unconcerned about the death and destruction, firing him for failing to finalize the sale of the painting before the client was dismembered and partially devoured. He was kicked out of his family home, but Max wasn't sure he really wanted to hang around there anyway.

Now Max is left with a tarnished name, some tentative connections, a few old friends, and a lot of questions.

History:
    @Fencingsax (Sammy: They’re a close relative. Ask them to decide exactly what. My suggestion would be an uncle or cousin, but it's apparently up to you.) - Max is just a few years out of college, so it depends on Sammy's age. Max could have an older sister that is Sammy's mother, and Max and Sammy are roughly around the same age? Or if Sammy is older, then Max's mother could be Sammy's sister? Might want to go through the non-rich side unless you want direct connections to the shady money. (Sammy is just a few years younger than you, so maybe cousins, then?) Sure, Max can have an older sister then.

@jdarksun (Josh Burke: Josh and Max are (half?) brothers, and while they have different last names the physical resemblances are unmistakable. Josh keeps trying to get you to come on the show, telling Max that "You've got the sort of face the cameras love! Trust me, I know!" Whether Max finds Josh well meaning or just insufferable is up to you. (Also whether Josh is trying to distance himself from the money that made Night Moves possible, or if they only share one parent)) - Half brothers, where Josh is the son of Max's father's mistress, perhaps? So he didn't get the last name, and the father only threw enough cash his way to put him through school and kickstart the investment for his show. Dad probably didn't have high hopes for his acting career or this show in particular, but maybe now he's quietly one of the major advertisers/sponsors for it, through his various holdings?

@discrider (Broker: We had a, business dealing. It was interrupted I believe. Ghouls. We had them at hand. Or well, I had them at hand and you had them at gun. Ah ha. I tried to reconvene afterwards but then there was, the screaming. I think we then left both, to change our suits though you seemed to be in the greater hurry.) - I think that works. Perhaps you were representing another shady party interested in signing the mysterious client? Or you were there to make sure the deal didn't happen at all? And when zombies attacked you just took it in stride. Max saw you there, noticed how much you stood out, definitely thought you were a little creepy, and especially noticed how calmly you responded to the threat. He has no reason to think he'll run into you again, though, especially not in New Eden.

We have decided that Max was running an auction for a cursed painting that Broker and Bastian were attempting to recover for their organization. The painting attracted the ghouls, which ruined any hopes of quietly purchasing the cursed item. Instead the two had to directly intervene to defeat the ghouls and claim their prize, inadvertently saving Max's life in the process.

@Egos (Bastian Fane) - I think Bastian was also at the ill-fated party, although he was specifically hunting the ghouls. Maybe Broker didn't run into him, but when Max fled into the kitchen of the fancy house the party was being held at, he stumbled over a pile of corpses studded with crossbow bolts and right into Bastian well into clearing out the infestation. He'd cleared the way to the exit and took on the zombies following Max, letting him escape.

@Fencingsax (Sammy) - Because of their family connection, I think Sammy is well aware of the crimes his family has committed. Both the mundane and the more exotic. Max is so far clueless, so @MagicPrime might have to let me know where he wants me to steer this. Same with the rival family and company from the party.

@discrider (Broker) - Broker was there for his first attempt at entering the business Underworld, and his complete failure. Max didn't want to give up a cushy life to deal with monsters, and he certainly didn't want to wind up fighting them, but here we are.

@MrTLicious (Abe Jones) - Max's family was involved in some of the rezoning, permits, construction, etc. for your church/haven. Maybe even the secret bits. Max was tangentially involved during one of his trips home, running over papers for you to sign or otherwise acting as a messenger. He was clueless, but he might be your way to get to the family, if any of your deals to operate in this town unexpectedly go sour.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Hey @Reynolds - it looks like we hit our max of 6 yesterday before you got your character submitted. :(

• Options
    I guess my earlier posts didn't matter then...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Eh, I'm happy to jump out, as I'm already in another.
    Was just excited to create a Thin Man really :P

• Options
    @Reynolds - I really didn't see a better way to do it than just whoever got characters posted first, but if Discrider is giving you their spot it's all good.

• Options
    Naw I'm not going to take a spot from someone. I have other stuff I can do.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    We could always utilise Geth's penchant for uncaring hard-hearted tyranny.

• Options
    Well, i mean -- this game is pretty 'easy' for the Keeper to run, since most of the heavy work is on the players. I wouldn't be opposed to having 2 groups of 4 that are running different mysteries.

• Options
    @Reynolds @Auralynx - Would that work? I can get something put together today easy.