As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ducktales 2017

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Okay, did not see that coming.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Doodmann wrote: »
    This might be the most positive enjoyable show I've ever watched. I love that it exists. I want to buy a big old art book of it all when it eventually comes out.

Not done with the latest episode yet, but I had the exact same thought. I got more enjoyment out of the first couple of minutes before the theme song while they were just packing the car than pretty much any other show gives me.

Also Scrooge to Beakley after they crash
    it could be worse, the plane could be on fire, we could be on fire, or this could be a volcano...EVERYTHING would be on fire.

Edit: followed by using Darkwing Duck as a distraction.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Last scene in the latest episode vs Scrooge's first ever appearance (Christmas on Bear Mountain comic):

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    That was a pretty dark ending...

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So about the web Late Night Show thing. What is Glumgold being bumped every night a parody of?

Also about the web Late Night Show thing, as a Letterman fan, I just loved "Will it crash?".

sig.gif
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    So about the web Late Night Show thing. What is Glumgold being bumped every night a parody of?

Also about the web Late Night Show thing, as a Letterman fan, I just loved "Will it crash?".

Kimmel has a running gag of Matt Damon getting bumped for time that has evolved to a “feud” between them.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The next episode is an hour long, so yeah, shit's getting real.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    That shot of Scrooge's board members dragging him away from the command console...
    I'm glad this isn't the end of the season, cause that'd be a real rough way to leave a cliffhanger.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Man. That was rough.
    Poor Scrooge

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    see317 wrote: »
    That shot of Scrooge's board members dragging him away from the command console...
    I'm glad this isn't the end of the season, cause that'd be a real rough way to leave a cliffhanger.
    It would have been cause for reporting disney to the government. Because if the season had ended here it would have been cruel&unusual.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    I'm having real trouble with the canonical declaration that
    Humanoid ducks start as eggs

Even though I know it makes more sense than the alternative but I AM STILL HAVING TROUBLE WITH IT OKAY

• Options
    I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Last scene in the latest episode vs Scrooge's first ever appearance (Christmas on Bear Mountain comic):

I caught that, as well as the other great Easter Egg right before it:
    Scoorge shot from the back at the giant moon control board a la the stage select screen in the Ducktales video game

4dbq1OU.jpg?11ne3rJD.jpg?1

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Scoorge shot from the back at the giant moon control board a la the stage select screen in the Ducktales video game

They also reference the remake with the mention of Scrooge and Magicka having a battle at Mt Vesuvius. I bet we're totally getting an episode on the moon in the future and i bet the soundtrack totally uses the moon theme from the game in some way.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Viskod wrote: »

They also reference the remake with the mention of Scrooge and Magicka having a battle at Mt Vesuvius. I bet we're totally getting an episode on the moon in the future and i bet the soundtrack totally uses the moon theme from the game in some way.

To be fair, Magica is Italian and has frequently been cited as living near Mt. Vesuvius, both in the Barks comics and the 1980's cartoon. In a bunch of the comics, Magica claims that she needs to melt the Number One Dime in the volcano, One-Ring-like, for the spell she wants to cast with it.

As far as the Moon theme, I'm actually curious if, in a fit of corporate irony, for once it's Disney that wouldn't have the rights to something. Although it was made because of a license from Disney, technically the video game belongs to Capcom and would likely have the rights to original assets, including the music. Not to say they couldn't get it from Capcom but, they may also just go "not worth it, use something else."

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm having real trouble with the canonical declaration that
    Humanoid ducks start as eggs

Even though I know it makes more sense than the alternative but I AM STILL HAVING TROUBLE WITH IT OKAY

It's actually really great because there's an added tragedy element there that you can't get otherwise.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »

To be fair, Magica is Italian and has frequently been cited as living near Mt. Vesuvius, both in the Barks comics and the 1980's cartoon. In a bunch of the comics, Magica claims that she needs to melt the Number One Dime in the volcano, One-Ring-like, for the spell she wants to cast with it.

As far as the Moon theme, I'm actually curious if, in a fit of corporate irony, for once it's Disney that wouldn't have the rights to something. Although it was made because of a license from Disney, technically the video game belongs to Capcom and would likely have the rights to original assets, including the music. Not to say they couldn't get it from Capcom but, they may also just go "not worth it, use something else."

Oh that makes sense then. I had no idea about her background like that.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Sunchaser episode was devastating

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Christ that was hard to watch.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Oh god, the feels.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I won't comment on the big ending, since everyone's already been doing that.

Instead I want to just take a moment to appreciate when Dewey was on the wing, and Scrooge goes "No, not again!".

Those three words say so much. I was honestly stunned. The writing in this show is kind of amazing.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »
    I won't comment on the big ending, since everyone's already been doing that.

Instead I want to just take a moment to appreciate when Dewey was on the wing, and Scrooge goes "No, not again!".

Those three words say so much. I was honestly stunned. The writing in this show is kind of amazing.

That moment kind of tipped me off about how the ending was going to play out and I loved it. Originally started watching this when my daughter was in the room to get her interested. We used to watch the original when she was very young and it was on Amazon Prime for awhile. The new show didn't take so I've been watching it on my own and still really enjoying it. This show is consistently knocking it out of the park.

• Options
    Apparently that last shot of scrooge in that room is pretty much a recreation of the first panel he was ever featured in where he says everyone hates him and he hates everyone else so that's fine with him.

• Options
    Oh, and my favorite gag of the episode:

Webby: Dewey, this is crazy! The mystery's not worth it!
    Louie: I-I get it! But you can't give up the rest of us, to find the one person we lost!
    Launchpad: Dewey, the Darkwing Duck video is still running! Do you want me to pause it until you get back?!

• Options
    It's a big, dumb, obvious joke, but I still laughed at Launchpad's "hmmm, something's not right" after the crash.

• Options
    Launchpad is so dumb and good and pure, and I hope he gets to crash all of the things until the end of time.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Launchpad is so dumb and good and pure, and I hope he gets to crash all of the things until the end of time.

What I love about him is the confidence of his dumbness. Lines like "Our tour begins in the tummy of the plane. Let me know if this gets too technical" work for him where any other character saying that would sound like a condescending Twitter comment, but it's just him doing his best to share Launchpad-world with everyone else

I'm An Elk; Shoot Me on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

What I love about him is the confidence of his dumbness. Lines like "Our tour begins in the tummy of the plane. Let me know if this gets too technical" work for him where any other character saying that would sound like a condescending Twitter comment, but it's just him doing his best to share Launchpad-world with everyone else

There are also a lot of moments that hint that he's not dumb, exactly. He's just operating on a different frequency.

• Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    I always viewed him as kind of an idiot savant, like I mean he knows how to operate almost every mode of transport known to duck kind, but just can't stick the landing.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I always viewed him as kind of an idiot savant, like I mean he knows how to operate almost every mode of transport known to duck kind, but just can't stick the landing.

More than that, he's honesty disappointed if he doesn't crash what he's behind the wheel/stick of. His landing is a crash.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

That reminds me. In the Gizmoduck episode, Gyro referred to Fenton as "Sub-human" and it kind of freaked me out a little.

• Options
    WinklebottomWinklebottom Registered User regular
    No spoilers, but the last episode is awesome.

• Options
    Poor Lena

• Options
    Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Moon theme!

• Options
    Donald: I am the storm

Beakly: have you been saying things like that this whole time?

• Options
    Sooo season 2 starts next week right?

...right?

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Holy Grop, that finale was superb.

• Options
    Lou29Lou29 Registered User regular
    I don't know that it's possible for something to be rebooted better than this has. I wasn't expecting much when it was announced, but I've loved every second of this show. The last scene alone! I do miss magica's old voice, and want that 3 caballeros episode they hinted at right now, but oh my god it's been so good.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Sooo season 2 starts next week right?

...right?

Looking at my DVR, it looks like next week is reshowing the first part of the finale they just showed.
    But my DVR isn't always reliable that far in advance.

• Options
    That was just plain perfect. Definitely cemented this show as one of the best animated series of this decade.

• Options
    And continuing the show's streak of impeccable casting:
    That was Paget Brewster delivering Della's one word. We're going to see more of her, surely.