As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Big Trouble in The World Tree! Traveler/Evil Victory - Thanks for playing

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Just to clarify a few things: did only dwarves get sick the other day? Did any dwarf NOT get sick? Did it actually do anything? Why are we voting on specials like guards when there's no mafia kill? Why are we still voting in specials?? What's happening?!

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I'm still going over my pms, but I haven't heard from elves about sickness.
    (feel free to pm me if I missed that though)
    I've also not heard any dwarves suggest any blatant mechanical effect.

I'm guessing the mafia has been getting progressively stronger each turn, and we'll start seeing people killed by mutants soon.
    Probably got multiple actions and have been sitting on the kills in favor of other stuff, is my guess?

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Howdy Romantic Undead!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Yeah, but I was just going to posit that the development of a monster sounds like the mafia inheriting their kill. I suspect they haven't actually had one before now, or even the option of one.

• Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    I am here!

The thread had 400 new posts when I got called in. I've skimmed but I'm not 100% up to speed. Since vote close is on Sunday, I'll try and take the time to get a grasp on the game until then.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Was in the car, just catching up. /insert kids on beach pic. Apparently it's too big to upload directly.

• Options
    I'm going to be popping out tonight to play a boardgame called eclipse, but I'll be around tomorrow.
    I'm not ignoring ya if I don't respond.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I am here!

The thread had 400 new posts when I got called in. I've skimmed but I'm not 100% up to speed. Since vote close is on Sunday, I'll try and take the time to get a grasp on the game until then.

Don't worry, nobody here has a grasp on this game yet anyway.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    long day then?

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I'm 99% certain @38thDoe is having it be an extended weekend

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Yeah, if votes aren't all in by close on Sunday, day will close Monday.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    So I’m certainly not going to claim to have everything figured out, but I think there are a few things we can say at this point:

1.) The mafia do not have a simple daily conversion action. With the amount of kills out there, there’s no way for the game to be balanced if the mafia can convert someone everyday. It’s possible that the infection could lead to it in some way, but as we’ve seen, even with a few days lingering, the infected are still coming up village.

2.) There is a traditional mafia and Discrider was a member. They likely have some way to power up thier members just as we can vote items to players. They may start as “Hollowed shells,” and be able to progress up to other monsters with different abilities. I would suspect this is why we haven’t seen a specific mafia kill yet, they just haven’t evolved people to do it.

With all that, I think it may be worth a look back at the beginning of day 1, when the Austin/disc wagons were going. I wouldn’t necessarily expect a mafia to just get on the Austin wagon, but I would expect them to try and avoid the wagon, or get on discrider after his fate seemed more sealed.

The first mention I can remember of monsters levelling up was from Virgil’s anonymous source. I’d be very curious where that information was comkng from, especially since t also implies that the mafia might start spying on communication. That seems like the kind of disinformation a mafia member would want to spread. Though if anyone has further firm information, letting Jpants know might be a good idea.

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    2.) There is a traditional mafia and Discrider was a member. They likely have some way to power up thier members just as we can vote items to players. They may start as “Hollowed shells,” and be able to progress up to other monsters with different abilities. I would suspect this is why we haven’t seen a specific mafia kill yet, they just haven’t evolved people to do it.

I wonder if they're wanting us to power up their hollowed shell with voted-in village roles?

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    Lost my first game of Eclipse.
    let me look at the time, that game took 6ish hours for 6 players?

It was fun, I came in 5th.
    I had too strong of an economy by the turn 3 of 9 that they decided to wipe me out.
    I was allied with 3 races and they turned on me.

I stuck around though till about round 7, before they committed complete genocide.
    Had 15 points from Honor and Research.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Lost my first game of Eclipse.
    let me look at the time, that game took 6ish hours for 6 players?

It was fun, I came in 5th.
    I had too strong of an economy by the turn 3 of 9 that they decided to wipe me out.
    I was allied with 3 races and they turned on me.

I stuck around though till about round 7, before they committed complete genocide.
    Had 15 points from Honor and Research.

Eclipse is kind of a beast, yeah. It's secretly a Euro game despite all the cool space stuff. The second edition's supposed to be an improvement, but I'm not sure if it came out recently or will soon.

I meanwhile got in a couple rounds of Sentinels of the Multiverse, one of Burgle Bros, and some Meeple Circus, which my wife turns out to be crazy good at if she bothers to read the scoring cards.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    I definitely worried that I was looking at the wrong thread this morning.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I'm going to be entirely honest, I have literally no idea what is going on and no idea who to vote for.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    I'm going to be entirely honest, I have literally no idea what is going on and no idea who to vote for.

The Cylon, obviously.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    facetious wrote: »
    FCFBJ63.jpg

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    So I’m certainly not going to claim to have everything figured out, but I think there are a few things we can say at this point:

1.) The mafia do not have a simple daily conversion action. With the amount of kills out there, there’s no way for the game to be balanced if the mafia can convert someone everyday. It’s possible that the infection could lead to it in some way, but as we’ve seen, even with a few days lingering, the infected are still coming up village.

With all that, I think it may be worth a look back at the beginning of day 1, when the Austin/disc wagons were going. I wouldn’t necessarily expect a mafia to just get on the Austin wagon, but I would expect them to try and avoid the wagon, or get on discrider after his fate seemed more sealed.

The first mention I can remember of monsters levelling up was from Virgil’s anonymous source. I’d be very curious where that information was comkng from, especially since t also implies that the mafia might start spying on communication. That seems like the kind of disinformation a mafia member would want to spread. Though if anyone has further firm information, letting Jpants know might be a good idea.

I'm having a LOT of trouble getting behind this... so the mafia, almost halfway through the game (going by how long a normal game lasts), has no kills, no conversions, no way to remove villagers on their own? That's the idea we're rolling with?

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    The mafia would've kept bluecyan alive due to the suspicion on him. Which means the hammer vig is on our side.
    I feel that this is a bit premature, but not super unreasonable. Sorta depends on how tonight goes.
    premium wrote: »

I'm having a LOT of trouble getting behind this... so the mafia, almost halfway through the game (going by how long a normal game lasts), has no kills, no conversions, no way to remove villagers on their own? That's the idea we're rolling with?
    What if they get catch-up kills? Like four kills tonight or something. I realize this is blind speculation, but there's no indication of a traditional conversion and there's a warning that the mafia might have info gathering / power-up powers. Or maybe it's like a "soft" kill, only triggers if it hits the target. Still wild speculation, yeah, but there's more and more we can cross off the list due to no positive correlations.

• Options
    premium wrote: »

Yes? I mean, the mafia certainly seems like it would be able to potentially win one of the weapon/armor votes if they wanted to.

With a straight conversions, the village would need to get two on target kills a day fairly soon. With voted vigs and vote record all of the place because of conversion, that’s not a reasonable balance decision. Its certainly possible that the infection mechanic can lead to conversion, but there are defenses against that. A straight conversion would be a lot harder.

We know the mafia hasn’t had a straight kill yet. We know the village is slowly ramping up in power. Without any speculation, and with just the information we have, that’s the most straightforward conclusion. It respects that 38thDoe and Egos wouldn’t make an insanely imbalanced game, but gives both sides opportunities and encourages the taking of some chances. That sounds like to objective of a phalla game.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Did 38th run the Cave Story game a while back?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The mafia would've kept bluecyan alive due to the suspicion on him. Which means the hammer vig is on our side.
    I feel that this is a bit premature, but not super unreasonable. Sorta depends on how tonight goes.
    Hammer guy gets an every other night kill so I'm not sure what information we could get tonight that would shed more light on it...

• Options
    Hammer guy gets an every other night kill so I'm not sure what information we could get tonight that would shed more light on it...
    Judging by last night's narration, I guess it's going to involve tentacles.

• Options

well, yeah, but I'm not sure how that tells us anything about Hammer guy's alignment is what I am saying

• Options
    well, yeah, but I'm not sure how that tells us anything about Hammer guy's alignment is what I am saying
    If there's a mass murder and the hammer bro dies, then we'll know precisely what their alignment was.

• Options
    If there's a mass murder and the hammer bro dies, then we'll know precisely what their alignment was.

ah, ok, I see what you are saying. Not that it will help us really because we wont have the hammer anymore.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Have we learned anything new today that I'm forgetting?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Psycho wasn’t converted. That was the big one.

With that, we have two people who claimed messages saying they might be infected, one claimed healed, other killed the next night with no conversion.

Also, so far, no mafia kill, two vigs on our end.

• Options
    Overall, I don’t see anything that we are going to get great info that explains mechanics right away.

Honestly, I’m just going to go back over vote records from day 1 and 2 (3 was kind of a bust) to find mafia as it there were a standard mafia for now.

Maybe they’ll suddenly get a kill, maybe there are conversions, but right now doesn’t feel like we can act against most of that and instead just need to see if we can find a good mafia vote slip.

• Options

With that, we have two people who claimed messages saying they might be infected, one claimed healed, other killed the next night with no conversion.

Also, so far, no mafia kill, two vigs on our end.

Should we kill the "healed" one? For science?

Steam profile
  • Options
    kime

:|

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Clarification: he died Dwarven Villager. He still could have been infected or whatever, maybe his communications were tapped; all we know is that he died Dwarven Villager.

Can death results be trusted?

jdarksun on
  • Options
    Fair enough.

Where I question if it was real is 1. If he was healed, I assume Jpants would have told us. 2. He was infected for two days, so aim not sure what kind of conversion lasts longer than that.

All in all, we still have no clue what non-standard mechanics exist.

• Options
    Possibly not a conversation at all, but a state that lets the mafia later go for a conversion at their choice? Or something that lets them offer a conversion to the player? (Probably not the latter, though.)

• Options
    I confess I'm not sure when the vote is closing, so I'm gonna throw one down on Cythraul for general pinging of my radar. When you are even less active than I am, you're either super busy or something's up.

• Options
  • Options
    Cythraul, from what I can remember, is never super active. This feels pretty par for the course for his phalla play.

• Options
    Yo kime you're still alive. What gives? Whatcha thinin'?

I've been talking an OK amount. It just gets swallowed by these people making 400 posts a day :P

Steam profile