As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How has the wildfire smoke in Seattle been?

10KStreams10KStreams Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
Minnesota has been under an air quality alert for what feels like weeks now. Have any Washington locals noticed any adverse health effects?

• Rhea_starstormRhea_starstorm Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Im in Portland and the air quality was really bad last week. Id check out air quality reports for seattle

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    It’s coming and going. Luckily we’re on the water so when we get a “marine push”, the clear ocean air clears us out for a few days. But yeah, it’s been bad this past week. I’ve heard a new phrase on the news this summer too: “smokewave”.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • 10KStreams10KStreams Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
    It’s coming and going. Luckily we’re on the water so when we get a “marine push”, the clear ocean air clears us out for a few days. But yeah, it’s been bad this past week. I’ve heard a new phrase on the news this summer too: “smokewave”.

We usually get the same thing here off of Lake Superior, but winds from the east have been lacking. It's been a near constant haze of a vaguely sauna smell.

• waffledogwaffledog OhioRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Ugh, that's awful news. Fingers crossed things change by the time PAX rolls around. How would you even deal with that - dust masks?

waffledog on
    8350v4w8udyb.png
  • CKingCKing Registered User regular
    waffledog wrote: »
    Ugh, that's awful news. Fingers crossed things change by the time PAX rolls around. How would you even deal with that - dust masks?

I think that's what my friend's been wearing. I know she's been wearing some kind of mask. She posted something the other day about the air quality being the seconds worst in the world that day. I'm hoping it ends up like last year. I had very little issue.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I had a five minute conversation with a co-worker at about 630 today about if the thing we were looking at was the moon or the sun.

So, yeah, it's not great right now

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    The air quality is moving into "unhealthy" territory. If you're sensitive to smoke or have a medical condition that makes it harder for you to absorb oxygen, it's recommended that you wear a N95 or P100 respirator. PDF from WA DOH

hobbseltoff on
    row1.pngrow2.png
    Just to put the air quality thing into perspective...

Indoor air is fine. You’ll be inside most of the time.

If you’ve got a special sensitivity to air particulate, you may be bothered. The DOH recommendation above is a great resource, and precautions are probably a good idea, so do what feels right for you.

If you have healthy lungs, the air quality right now - though worse than usual - isn’t really something to freak out about. I mean, don’t go running any marathons in it or anything, but it’s vastly better than say, sitting in a bar that allows cigarette smoking, hanging out by a campfire on a windy day, burning incense in a small room, or even just smoking a joint.

Also, there’s a reasonable chance it will be cleared up for PAX, so there’s that.

• SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    at least, for the moment, its not as bad as last year where we had Ash dropping in Seattle near the end of the Con.

Solelron wrote: »
    at least, for the moment, its not as bad as last year where we had Ash dropping in Seattle near the end of the Con.

OMG somebody should TOTALLY cosplay as Ash and Groot this year.

• JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    Solelron wrote: »

OMG somebody should TOTALLY cosplay as Ash and Groot this year.

Which Ash? Ash Ketchum? Ash from the Evil Dead? I suppose that either would work, but inquiring minds want to know...

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • wolfemancswolfemancs Registered User regular
    Another article by University of Washington medicine. Reads a little less sensationalized than some of the other stuff out there for those who are typically healthy people:
    https://rightasrain.uwmedicine.org/well/health/forest-fire-smoke-health

TL;DR/For reference:
    Says around an AQI of 200 (100 for sensitive populations), you should consider changing behavior or possibly wearing a mask, although most masks are ineffective against this size of particulate.
    Says around an AQI of 150, you should consider exercising indoors.
    Linked EPA .gov website says today's Seattle Area rating is 178.

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Usually I forgo allergy meds when I come to Seattle since the air is far less dusty than good ol' AZ. I may have to reconsider that with this information.

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    but it’s vastly better than say, sitting in a bar that allows cigarette smoking, hanging out by a campfire on a windy day, burning incense in a small room, or even just smoking a joint.

Also, there’s a reasonable chance it will be cleared up for PAX, so there’s that.
    I was reading that being outside all day in it when it was at its worst would be equivalent to smoking seven cigarettes. But I agree, it’ll likely be gone by the time PAX comes around.

Dreamwriter on
  • wolfemancswolfemancs Registered User regular
    but it’s vastly better than say, sitting in a bar that allows cigarette smoking, hanging out by a campfire on a windy day, burning incense in a small room, or even just smoking a joint.

I was reading that being outside all day in it when it was at its worst would be equivalent to smoking seven cigarettes. But I agree, it’ll likely be gone by the time PAX comes around.

I think that's one of the sensationalized articles I was talking about :D:D:D

I read a rebuttal to that one that said while yes, the amount of particles might be similar, the harmfulness of the particles is way worse for the cigarettes.

• Mlowe1982Mlowe1982 Registered User regular
    Just to update everyone on this as of right now most of the smoke is cleared out and looks like it should be fine for the weekend.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    As a Marylander, the weather and air seems fine today.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png