As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MCU] Captain Marvel tickets on sale now, less than 60 days to go.

ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA!Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
edited February 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
So there have been a lot of Marvel movies. They're overall pretty dang great. They're broken up into phases, like this (links go to trailers):

Phase 1:

LqO37wm.jpgQWsUCea.jpg11A8ml3.jpg7aEVTIu.jpgw3Xwgi8.jpgRO86zaL.jpg

Phase 2:

7XU2ky9.jpgPaxPejz.jpgI1gB5PC.jpgADRCjtK.jpgRiubaEH.jpgpBArNLY.jpg

Phase 3:
SopMFqM.jpgmd7JFee.jpgDDtqHva.jpgIL24nmj.jpgPMAABhj.pngPyxaQ9P.jpgaaKC4fH.jpg5KMnAnW.jpg

Upcoming!

Mw3tMYS.jpgXQrbk2F.jpgQvEgE2B.jpg

March 8, 2019=========================April 26, 2019=========================July 5, 2019

ChaosHat on

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I still feel like we're going to get news of a renewed contract or deal between Marvel and Sony, maybe closer to Spider-Man's release. They've set him up as a big pillar of the post IW MCU, and I can't see any of the parties involved just letting that poof away.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I could totally see Sony going "Thanks for making Spiderman big again, we'll take it from here."

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I still feel like we're going to get news of a renewed contract or deal between Marvel and Sony, maybe closer to Spider-Man's release. They've set him up as a big pillar of the post IW MCU, and I can't see any of the parties involved just letting that poof away.

I also think we'll see a deal but I'm maybe 60-40 or 70-30 in favor. I think if Venom takes off and is a hit they might be like "Woah we need Spider-Man back we've got this figured out."

I think on one hand the part where Sony let's marvel do all the planning and they just pay for it and make the money is pretty good and us as close to betting on a sure thing as there is. On the other hand, the fact that they've kept everything else and are trying to make their side universe seems like they might try to take it all back once Marvel's redeemed it. They could just as easily say "we relinquish everything back as long as we get paid in perpetuity."

I think Sony's side of the equation is unsustainable. I don't think many of Spider-Man's villains are that interesting without him. Spider-Man will be fine on his own, but who would the Sinister Six even fight? The villains are designed as foils to him. Morbius, Venom, Doc Ock, et al just aren't as interesting in a vacuum.

The rumors that they're going to use Silk as a main protagonist is very interesting. I think there's a lot of room for them to try without Spider-Man. Silk, Miles Morales, Mayday Parker, Spider-Gwen, etc are all pretty interesting options for them and they could really try to be a leader in regards to inclusion. Cindy Moon is a Korean female, Miles is a half black half latino male, Gwen is a female, etc.

There are interesting avenues there but they're harder and I just don't know that Sony is willing to try hard when they can get the low hanging fruit. Granted, Into the Spider-Verse is a thing so maybe I'm totally wrong.

ChaosHat on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I think a lot of it will depend on Venom. If Venom crashes and burns, then I would expect a new deal keeping Spidey in the MCU. If Venom goes big money, then Sony will probably take Spider-Man back and fuck it up again.

Also, I'm thinking Avengers 4 will be titled Avengers Forever. It was an old Avengers comic series, and acts as a celebration of the Avengers. Also, it sticks it to DC for Batman Forever.

PSN|AspectVoid
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I think a lot of it will depend on Venom. If Venom crashes and burns, then I would expect a new deal keeping Spidey in the MCU. If Venom goes big money, then Sony will probably take Spider-Man back and fuck it up again.

Also, I'm thinking Avengers 4 will be titled Avengers Forever. It was an old Avengers comic series, and acts as a celebration of the Avengers. Also, it sticks it to DC for Batman Forever.

"Avengers Forever" was floated to the Russos at some con and they said that it was wrong but the closest guess yet. So "Infinite Avengers" is pretty close.

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    My official guess is Avengers: Eternity War.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Avengers For ... Like, a Really Long Time
    Avengers For at least One More Movie
    Avengers For Hire
    Avengers For the Cure

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Avengers: Everyone who died is coming back, everyone who lived will be missed

edited August 2018
    Avengers Rising: Revengeance

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Avengers: Thorever

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Avengers: Thorever

I'd watch this

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Avengers and the Infinite Sadness

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Avengers: Infinity War 2: Electric Boogaloo

Featuring Dwayne Johnson as Drax

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Featuring Dwayne Johnson as Drax

Ouch.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    But it's always been Dwayne. Dave who? -Disney probably

edited August 2018
    I grow increasingly offended that Shazam already has a very good trailer out and we ain't got shit for Captain Marvel which comes out the month before.

ChaosHat on
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    All this talk of replacements and I think we owe Ed Norton a little something for recommending Mark Ruffalo for the job.

I hate to say it, but every movie he's in, his performances (to me at least) get worse, and I can't exactly put my finger on why.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I grow increasingly offended that Shazam already has a very good trailer out and we ain't got shit for Captain Marvel which comes out the month before.

DC needs to push Shazam.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »

DC needs to push Shazam.
    Yup. At this point, Marvel could hold off on all marketing until a week before release, have their trailer be a 15 second still of a placard with the name, the symbol, the Marvel logo and the date, and it'd still be a massive hit unless the film is unparalleled garbage.

DC are still trying to establish credibility with the general population. Marvel don't have to do that.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

DC needs to push Shazam.

More to the point, DC needs the positive buzz.

These are all good points but man I still want to see it.

I'm very uninterested in the A4 trailer. I think it's highly unlikely they show us anything remotely revealing unless they just lean into "everyone seeing this is genre savvy enough to dispense with the trickery."

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Somehow my SO, who only watches the MCU because of me, texts me today, "So Dr. Strange is going to save the universe with something called the Tribunal? "

We still haven't seen Ant-Man and she doesn't remember the pager stinger, so I get to highlight reel my favorite Captain Marvel moments for her tonight.

• ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    Somehow my SO, who only watches the MCU because of me, texts me today, "So Dr. Strange is going to save the universe with something called the Tribunal? "

We still haven't seen Ant-Man and she doesn't remember the pager stinger, so I get to highlight reel my favorite Captain Marvel moments for her tonight.

Your SO is frackin adorable...in the most sincerest sense.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    It seems odd Captain Marvel didn't get pushed up sooner?

Just seems weird it'll be barely a month after Marvel that we'll get A4

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    It seems odd Captain Marvel didn't get pushed up sooner?

Just seems weird it'll be barely a month after Marvel that we'll get A4

I kind of disagree with their new pattern of spring, early summer, mid summer releases. I think May/July/Fall would be fine. Granted, in this particular instance I am okay with getting A4 into my face as soon as possible.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I think Sony's side of the equation is unsustainable. I don't think many of Spider-Man's villains are that interesting without him. Spider-Man will be fine on his own, but who would the Sinister Six even fight? The villains are designed as foils to him. Morbius, Venom, Doc Ock, et al just aren't as interesting in a vacuum.

It all depends on who's making it. In the comics numerous excellent, critically acclaimed stories have been made of these people which they can delve into (they won't). The weak spot isn't the mythology, it's Sony itself. Give the characters to Marvel's and they'll make wonderful, intriguing stories, but you can't do that with incompetent studios.
    The rumors that they're going to use Silk as a main protagonist is very interesting. I think there's a lot of room for them to try without Spider-Man. Silk, Miles Morales, Mayday Parker, Spider-Gwen, etc are all pretty interesting options for them and they could really try to be a leader in regards to inclusion. Cindy Moon is a Korean female, Miles is a half black half latino male, Gwen is a female, etc.

Yep. Cindy Moon had a cameo in Homecoming, btw.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    In Infinity War, I liked how the Hulk crashed through the skylight like the Silver Surfer did in Infinity Gauntlet.

Krathoon on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The only reason I wouldn't bet large on A4 being called "Avengers Assemble" is the fact that they kind of already used it for the UK release of the first movie, thanks to the fact that "The Avengers" also refers to some '60's spy show.

So I'd probably bet on "Avengers Disassembled". Pre-existing comic book name, pretty darn accurate name for the state of the movie.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Why does Stark have such an old ass flip phone?

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Why does Stark have such an old ass flip phone?

because steve gave it to him at the end of civil war? It was delivered by stan lee, when he called him Tony Stank.

It was a nice little jab at the futurist, in my opinion, and wholly intentional to give him such a POS phone that he knew he would have to keep.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Tony’s phone from IM1 was too sweet and he became major addicted so he downgraded7rxk1o078err.jpeg

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    It was one of those cheap burner phones from a gas station, probably with just enough prepaid minutes for one call. Cap was on the run, he doesn't have the funds for a fancy smart phone.

The only reason I wouldn't bet large on A4 being called "Avengers Assemble" is the fact that they kind of already used it for the UK release of the first movie, thanks to the fact that "The Avengers" also refers to some '60's spy show.

So I'd probably bet on "Avengers Disassembled". Pre-existing comic book name, pretty darn accurate name for the state of the movie.

Eh I feel like they'll go with a more triumphant sounding title. It will be their greatest victory ever.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Avengers: Best Day Ever.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    If you want a triumphant title just call it X-Men :cool:

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I need a burner phone.

Jragghen wrote: »
    It'll be Infinity Crusade.

Infinity Watch would be a cool idea. It would be a good way to write out some characters but keep them available to return later.

This discussion has been closed.