As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Life is Strange: Episode Five Oct. 20

• Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    Played Captain Spirit last night. Left me very hopeful that Season 2 will live up to the first game.

... Is it September yet?

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    That's good to hear. I think I'm going to dive in this weekend. Was really looking forward to it but some other stuff has come up for this week. These are games I like to play a full chapter in a single sitting whenever possible.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    The ever adorable hawt dawg man is back! :D

My play-through felt pretty short, so I probably missed some things and triggered the ending by accident. Going to go back and give it another go.
    It is very good though, feels very appropriately LiS-y, in it's tone/atmosphere, if that makes sense.

Indie music? Check. Biro fonts? Check. Heartfelt narrative? Sooo check. You got me again, DONTNOD. :cry:

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    If you happen to trigger the ending before you were done with everything you can just hit continue and it'll drop you in at the point you were at before starting the end sequence.

• Options
    I did the same thing and went back to finish exploring outside. Was interesting to see how that affected the ending.
    Taking the beer cans out, shoveling the steps, and setting off the fire cracker made Mrs. Reynolds come off more hostile towards Chris's father than the first play thru where she just seemed concerned about Chris.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Just got done playing it. Really good, but
    fuck Charles, he needs help but the moment he took it out on Chris he lost all sympathy from me.

• Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    So LiS (1) has been on my back burner for a while, and I finally started it. I'm probably the only person still playing this, but... Played through the first two episodes.

Ep2:
    Fuck me. That... did not go well. I have a very bad feeling I'm going to wind up on the worst timeline, given that I failed to save the heavily foreshadowed super despressed girl in the first 'test' the game throws at you that doesn't let your powers undo your decisions.

Ugh.
    Edit: and now Ep 3:
    I love the evolution of Max's power; there's no way Max would have gone back to that moment and done anything else, but the price is paid another way I see. I get the uneasy feeling that the resolution to this game is going to be going back to the start and undoing all Max time fuckery... including saving Chloe. Other "time travel" stories have done all this before, but this is a really well put together game and it's not bothering me at all.

Senna1 on
  • Options
    Season 1, episodes 1 and 2 are now available for Android.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Season 1, episodes 1 and 2 are now available for Android.

I don't care that I already have it on PC, PS4, and Xbox...snatched this up the instant it became available.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Nice to hear that I'm not the only one who bought this thing multiple times. Hell, I bought a physical copy just so I can throw it at friends and force them to play it too!

26904.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    Nice to hear that I'm not the only one who bought this thing multiple times. Hell, I bought a physical copy just so I can throw it at friends and force them to play it too!

I bought the Limited Edition physical copy exclusively for the soundtrack (has both licensed and OST tracks). The extra game copy I didn't need, so I gave it to a friend to spread the hella awesome game around.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I wonder if Chris is gonna be the playable character for season 2. Have they said anything? The end of the awesome adventures just says we'll see him again in s2

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Does anything carry over between games? I seem to own Before the Storm on multiple platforms and can't for the life of me remember which I played Season 1 on. I'm guessing with it being a prequel it won't matter, but, y'know, time travel.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Does anything carry over between games? I seem to own Before the Storm on multiple platforms and can't for the life of me remember which I played Season 1 on. I'm guessing with it being a prequel it won't matter, but, y'know, time travel.

The feels in your heart carry over. The feels in your heart, Grinch. ;-P
    Real answer: No. Save data isn't recognized between games, AFAIK.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    I wonder if Chris is gonna be the playable character for season 2. Have they said anything? The end of the awesome adventures just says we'll see him again in s2

The Life Is Strange 2 preorder splash at the end of Captain Spirit says ‘Meet Chris again’ in the new game which seems to me like careful wording implying he’s a side character rather than the main one, otherwise they would have said something like ‘continue his story.’ That might be too close a read though.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    I think he might be a teenager as well. Pure speculation. Playable? No idea.

• Options
    Billy ChenowithBilly Chenowith Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Billy Chenowith on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I'm playing through Before The Storm, near the end of episode 2. This game is wonderful, but having played the original game it's also tremendously sad.

I wrote this game off as being unnecessary when it came out, I couldn't have been more wrong.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Alright I’m interested.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Still curiously evasive. After Captain Spirit and then a teaser trailer, I was expecting them to give away a bit more in a full reveal, but all that footage looks like it could come from the first ~30 minutes of the game and that it doesn’t give much of a sense of the broader concept.

• Options
    There are a few details here, and they'll be releasing gameplay videos too.

• Options
    I am super hyped to cry a lot. For some reason I've lost all my enthusiasm for video games lately, all except for these slow-paced, narrative-style, Telltale-style games.

• Options
    I realize I'm late to this party, but Before the Storm is on sale for $6.79. I couldn't see a reason to pass it up at that price, so I bought in. So far, I've played the first two chapters, still have one to go (plus the "bonus" chapter).

I realize this thing was put together during the SAG-AFTRA strike, but Oh My Gods is the voice acting terrible!! Like high-school drama club terrible! (Yes, I realize the irony of the comment.) There are times when the game seem to be trying to make a point and I'm stuck here thinking how insincere it all comes across because the voice acting is just so so so bad!

Being able to go back to old familiar places felt really nice and fun and reminded me of all of the good times (and the not so good times) I had being Max and wandering around and exploring places. Yes, it's a prequel and Max hasn't been here yet, but the fact that they used the same environments really help me fell like I was "home" in the game. I even took the time to ferret out some of the out-of-the way hidey holes that I found in my original playthrough of LiS, just to see if they were still (already?) there. Some were, and that made me happy.

It's too bad that there are oh-so-many game extending scenes that do nothing to progress the story. I mean, the original LiS had a bunch of these too, to help immerse the player in the experience and make them really appreciate Arcadia Bay and it's environments, but seriously, the target market for this is people who have already played Life Is Strange and we already know what the place looks (and feels) like. It's just too-much-of-the-same packaged here and I found myself looking for a "skip cutscene" button far too often.

It funny that some people complained about the language used in the first game as "unrealistic", because I'm finding the writing here to be much much worse. Maybe because I actually live on the west coast (please don't say "Cali") and know that the language used in the original game actually was regionally accurate. But the way the adults talk in this game... I mean, I work in a professional environment with a bunch of registered professional engineer and I'm friends with many people who live/work in academia and no one uses the kind of pretentious language that is presented here. I feel like these people are just ridiculous caricatures of "grown ups" and it's impossible for me to take them as seriously as the game wants me to. It would be funny if it weren't so sad.

The endings of both of the chapters I've played so far go on about 1-2 minutes too long. Without spoiling anything, when the emotional impact scene happens, whether it's a character reveal, a cliffhanger, or a twist that makes you go "WTF!"... the game... just... keeps.... going.... Okay, I'll grant that showing a montage of how the other characters in the game are affected (or not, depending on the situation) is a neat idea. Yes, it's interesting that the writers are trying to make the player go "Oh, yeah, what does that mean about this other thing" by explicitly showing the other thing after the penny dropped, but you know what? It really lessens the emotional impact. It's like getting punched and then immediately having someone start giving you a relaxing massage. The punch stops being a "hey, what...!?!" but instead starts being a more intellectual "what did that mean?" experience.

Overall, it was worth the less-than-$7 I spent on it. I'll probably finish chapter 3 tonight. I certainly don't feel like my (worth much more than $7) time was wasted playing it. But I'm not rushing out to recommend this to my friends like I did for the original Life Is Strange.

26904.png
  • Options
    As expected, played the third and final chapter of this last night, and I think I've changed my mind about the entire experience.

The writing and voice acting continued to be horrible and are really distracting and immersion breaking.

On a personal note, the motif of having a wildfire just out of sight for about half the game was a bit distressing to me. My entire neighborhood burned to the ground last October so fire things are a little triggery for me.

The final decision was
    dumb. In the original game I agonized over that last decision for several minutes and then second guessed myself, went back and played it again (and ultimately made the same choice). Here, I saw the two choices, thought about it for maybe 5 seconds and then said to myself, "Who cares? She's going to be dead in a couple of months anyway." Knowing how the story ends, really removed any of the emotional impact of the choice.

True to form, the final chapter also went on for too long after that last decision branch, showing a montage of images and stuff. It was kinda cute to see, but not only did it not add to the experience, it kinda made that final choice even less important. It was as if the final message was "Here's an agonizing decision, but at the end of the day... life goes on." It kinda cheapened the emotional impact IMO.
    That final final clip though... ouch.

26904.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Life is a bunch of agonizing decisions. Then they put you in the ground or pour you out into the wind.
    And then the world keeps on turning. Just without you in it.
    So I would disagree. The ending of both BTS and LiS were really moving for me.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB4KSsQ_4X4

'Launch' trailer, though it's not out until roughly another six days. :biggrin:

• Options
    It's out! I've only played the intro/prologue so far, but it seems pretty great. :)

Quality dank memes from 2016:
    xtum67hch7na.png

3qa09h4ekak1.png

At the beginning you are asked if you played LiS1, and what your final choice was in that game. So there will be a link of some kind... Intriguing! :D

• Options
    I wonder if it goes beyond
    changing some conversations that reference Arcadia bay mentioning whether or not it’s been destroyed by a freak disaster

Looking forward to playing this but gotta wait until the whole thing is out, doing the one monthly episode is agonizing

• Options
    Just finished episode one last night. Oh gosh! The feels! Fucking DONTNOD got me again. I was crying like I was sat in an onion shredding factory. :cry:
    I had to put the controller down a few times and take a break.
    w8fIA.gif
    I've already bought the full season, so I'm all in on this.

Really huge spoiler about a LiS1 location:
    3inn9psxm938.png
    You actually drive past the lighthouse from a distance. I think that the scene might be different depending on whether Arcadia Bay is destroyed or not.

• Options
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Just wrapped up episode 1 and it's off to a strong start.

I do have some concerns given the premise of the game though.
    If they're on the road the whole time there probably won't much in the way of recurring characters other than maybe calling Lyla. Which seems a bit limiting

The other thing is, especially in light of Telltales collapse. I'm worried they might run into budget issues. In the first Life is Strange locations were generally used several times. The school, the dinner, Chloe's house and so on.

None of the locations in this game are likely to be places they return to and that's probably going to be true for most of the episodes.

I don't think they'll implode like Telltale, they're backed by square Enix after all. But it could be a hamper on things.

Also because I've seen comments about awkward dialogue. There is a massive difference between awkward writting and teenagers/kids being written as awkward. "Hella" was the former. But they've come a long way since then.

Road Block on
  • Options
    Road Block wrote: »
    Just wrapped up episode 1 and it's off to a strong start.

I do have some concerns given the premise of the game though.
    If they're on the road the whole time there probably won't much in the way of recurring characters other than maybe calling Lyla. Which seems a bit limiting

The other thing is, especially in light of Telltales collapse. I'm worried they might run into budget issues. In the first Life is Strange locations were generally used several times. The school, the dinner, Chloe's house and so on.

None of the locations in this game are likely to be places they return to and that's probably going to be true for most of the episodes.

I don't think they'll implode like Telltale, they're backed by square Enix after all. But it could be a hamper on things.

Also because I've seen comments about awkward dialogue. There is a massive difference between awkward writting and teenagers/kids being written as awkward. "Hella" was the former. But they've come a long way since then.

Yeah I haven't found the dialogue awkward at all, or at least at its worst its just as awkward as LiS 1.

I haven't beaten the first episode yet, playing it with a friend and she had to bounce right after the
    jumping into Brody's car to run away part of the plot.

This story swings hard earlier than the first episode does, I think. While Lis 1, episode 1 through, ya know,
    murder'd childhood friend at you very quickly, you rewound time to stop it.
    Not having rewind powers to fix mistakes or stuff like that makes the punches hit harder to me, cause I can't fix them.

• Options
    Re: Recurring characters
    It seems like they're going to meet Chris and Charles soon- if not episode 2 then surely 3- so Lyla won't be the only one.

• Options
    I have a long-standing rule to not buy episodic games until the entire thing is released. So, I'll be avoiding spoilers in this thread while reading all of your (hopefully spoiler tagged) impressions and opinions!

26904.png
  • Options
    A live action trailer (featuring a re-enactment of the end of Episode 1) for Episode 2. (Out on the 24th January.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMQ5-Wnnz7Q

Looks like it's going to be about four months between episodes if they stay at this cadence. Last episode will probably/most likely be in November 2019 if you're one of the people holding on for that.

• Options
    Perfect! Just in time for a holiday sale and picking the whole thing up for $20. :biggrin:

26904.png
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1-CNQ36F0Y
    Episode 2 trailer. Reveals a potentially huge spoiler for Captain Spirit:
    So it turns out that Chris might not have any powers after all. It was all just a big misdirection, perhaps?
    The way that the trailer is edited makes it seem like it was actually Daniel that saved him from falling with his telekinesis. We shall see when it comes out this Thursday. :)

• Options
    Super pumped for this, but won’t get to play it until Monday.