As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Spider-Man] Speeder and Miles Webs Prower 10/20/23

DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's DaughterIn love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
edited October 2023 in Games and Technology
This guy

34cb052c1e3e4ed7-600x400.jpg

has his own game coming out on Sept 7!

Ok fine. It's not THAT speederman but look how great this game looks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reAPorQHxNQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIy9HlNr_fY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rKGL3DJWX4

And some other previews:

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2018/08/02/four-fantastic-hours-with-spider-man
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/spider-man-ps4-why-you-should-be-excited-about-mar/1100-6460893/
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-02-marvels-spider-man (I dunno this title might be a spoiler. It just an article title posted on Polygon but incase people are extra sensitive, it's a thing that is talked about in the previews popping up all over though)

So yea, why doesn't this have a thread yet? Or maybe the forums awful search function failed me. Either way here you go!

DemonStacey on

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    This game looks neat. I plan on Day 1ing it.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    It has rapidly risen from a game I've been very excited for to my most anticipated game(well tied for) of the year and in turn more anticipated that anything this year OR last year. Which is saying a lot because we've had some real big years in gaming.

It just looks so damn good for a Spider-Man game.

The one bad thing is that it comes out the exact same week as that other most anticipated game of the last 2 years... So that's going to be rough. Oh yea and I'll be house hunting during that time. Perfectly timed indeed..

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    New combat trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYCQqGRp6YU

Game is out in 2 weeks, why is there not more excitement on these boards?!

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Hello, yes, can I please have this now? I have been reluctant to play much of anything else on PS4 lately because I don't want to have to put something aside when Spider-Man drops and I dive headfirst into it. This, like God of War before it, will be my next big PS4 game, with all of the marathon and nightly and early morning play sessions that this entails. I'm avoiding all media on it until I can play it myself.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Hello, yes, can I please have this now? I have been reluctant to play much of anything else on PS4 lately because I don't want to have to put something aside when Spider-Man drops and I dive headfirst into it. This, like God of War before it, will be my next big PS4 game, with all of the marathon and nightly and early morning play sessions that this entails. I'm avoiding all media on it until I can play it myself.

Yea I'm not watching all the trailers or anything because I'm already sold on the game.

DQXI is my other big important thing but I think I might play through this first because that will probably be the longer game of the two. Already have a long weekend after they both come out then took 3 days weekends for the whole month of October!

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Been on a Marvel kick since seeing Infinity War again and again. The lack of Marvel games in general is odd... Like, on PS4 I have the MUA ports which are OK, but don't really cut it any more. Other than that there's just Marvel Puzzle Quest which is also OK, but not terribly exciting. There was Marvel Heroes which I liked, but that's kaput now.

Very excited that this is almost upon us. 17 days!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    On the downside, boo for console exclusive. On the upside, at least it's exclusive to a console I have. And only two weeks away? Totally lost track of time on that one, which works fine for me.

I have a little bit of hope for this one. The Spider-Man 2 game was pretty much the best of the lot and the subsequent substandard entries did a good job in beating down my hopes every time. But now it might be good again!

Ultimate Spider-Man was pretty good. So was Web of Shadows, Shattered Dimensions, and (surprisingly) the first Amazing Spider-Man movie tie in game.

PS4 Spidey looks to have a really good shot at being the best Spider-Man game, ever though. Like, Arkham quality.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Ultimate Spider-Man was pretty good. So was Web of Shadows, Shattered Dimensions, and (surprisingly) the first Amazing Spider-Man movie tie in game.

PS4 Spidey looks to have a really good shot at being the best Spider-Man game, ever though. Like, Arkham quality.

Yea. This is the vibe I'm getting.

And while I enjoyed the Arkham games I'm not personally a huge Batman fan. I like him but I don't love him.

But Spider-Man is my favorite so now hopefully I'll have an experience like what all the Batman superfans got with the Arkham games.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Here is some info on what is, by far, the most important info about a good modern Spider-Man game (and how it was handled in several other Spider-Man games killed my interest in them):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Mo6paqVZE

Webslinging! Heavily momentum-based, with tricks and speed boosts for skillful maneuver executions. And most importantly: webs attach to buildings. No buildings, no webslinging. Hooray!

Really looks like they nailed this aspect, which is (for me) the single biggest factor in a good Spider-Man game. Having that feel of speed and agility from skillful webslinging just adds so much to the overall experience.

• MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    No black suit? That sad.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
    There might be legit IP issues with the black suit at this point, with Venom being his own thing and Spidey being in the MCU.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Nah, this isn't attached to the MCU in any way, it's just a straight up Spider-Man licence, if Insomniac haven't put the black suit in then they are (probably) saving it for something, probably a sequel, given that it's a pretty big story hook that would be a shame to "waste" on a dress up costume.

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    edited August 2018
    Nah, this isn't attached to the MCU in any way, it's just a straight up Spider-Man licence, if Insomniac haven't put the black suit in then they are (probably) saving it for something, probably a sequel, given that it's a pretty big story hook that would be a shame to "waste" on a dress up costume.

There's a slight MCU connection in that you can wear the Iron Spider suit from Infinity War.

Skull2185 on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'm trying to avoid as much of the game as possible pre-release. I already pre-ordered it and can't wait.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

There's a slight MCU connection in that you can wear the Iron Spider suit from Infinity War.

Yeah, and (not an MCU spoiler, and probably not a Spider-Man PS4 spoiler, but overworld and thus possibly PS4 story spoiler?):
    Sanctum Sanctorum from Dr. Strange is in some screenshots of the overworld.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    The web slinging seems very similar to the PS2 Spider-Man which was the single best part. Of any of the games.

And how about the second most important question following the webswinging: just how big a role does balloon retrieval play in the game? Is it a core element, or shunted off to having merely a significant side-story? Can you have a decent Spider-Man game without balloon missions?

I do seriously hope for a return of the pizza delivery side missions, though, just for the sheer absurdity of the event.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »

Yeah, and (not an MCU spoiler, and probably not a Spider-Man PS4 spoiler, but overworld and thus possibly PS4 story spoiler?):
    Sanctum Sanctorum from Dr. Strange is in some screenshots of the overworld.
    All that means is it's Marvel's New York, with not just Spider-Man in it. It's a comics license, not a film one.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    No black suit? That sad.

Correction: No Symbiote suit

There are other black Spider-Man suits that could still be in.

Yeah, Spidey has had more costumes than nearly any other hero in history and he's had plenty of black suits that aren't related to the symbiote or to Venom.

I'm glad they apparently have Spider-Man Noire as an alternate costume. That one was pretty rad.

Ok guys. I'm having trouble finding this game on Amazon. Like just the normal $60 version. I can't seem to find it on there to preorder it.

I've found their listing for the Digital Deluxe code version, and I've found a listing for an out-of-stock big honkin' collectors edition, but I can't find just the plain old $60 edition.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ok guys. I'm having trouble finding this game on Amazon. Like just the normal $60 version. I can't seem to find it on there to preorder it.

I've found their listing for the Digital Deluxe code version, and I've found a listing for an out-of-stock big honkin' collectors edition, but I can't find just the plain old $60 edition.

Amazon and Sony have been in a spat for the past couple months so you cannot pre-order any first party Sony game physical copies through them.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    It looks like NewEgg has 10% off of a physical pre-order. After discovering the lack of Amazon help, I checked theirs out and saw that it was $54.99 right now, also no sales tax for those of us in the middle of the country, so that's a bonus.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    This looks great.

Where are people getting the idea that there is not a black suit in this game?

It's one of the most iconic Spider-Man costumes.

I could've sworn I saw an article online about a month ago or more in which they showed screenshots of a bunch of alternate costumes that are confirmed to be in. But now I'm not finding that article.

edited August 2018
    This article makes it seem like the black suit is a possibility. There appears to be a total of 25 unlockable suits, including regular Spidey suit from Homecoming. A lot of them were still blacked out in whatever demo they saw in the article, but one of them appeared to be a silhouette of the Spider-Man 2099 suit.

Edit: Insomniac doesn't appear to be very good at designing Spider-Man suits, though... The white spider suit we've seen isn't great, and that Velocity suit is ugly AF.

Skull2185 on
    That wasn't the same article I saw. That site tried to force me to disable my adblocker so I left. Whatever site I was looking at a month ago didn't do that.

I don't visit sites that try to get around my adblock.

This looks great.

Where are people getting the idea that there is not a black suit in this game?

It's one of the most iconic Spider-Man costumes.

They said no symbiotes. But that could be a lie or could still be the suit without the symbiote but they may want to use the symbiote arc in a future game so people figure they may not want to "waste" it on just a collectible in this game but then be a story thing in a later game.
    This article makes it seem like the black suit is a possibility. There appears to be a total of 25 unlockable suits, including regular Spidey suit from Homecoming. A lot of them were still blacked out in whatever demo they saw in the article, but one of them appeared to be a silhouette of the Spider-Man 2099 suit.

Edit: Insomniac doesn't appear to be very good at designing Spider-Man suits, though... The white spider suit we've seen isn't great, and that Velocity suit is ugly AF.

Hard disagree there my dude. The white spider suit looks great to me. I like it better than the classic suit no doubt. Really makes it look more modern.

The Advanced suit doesn't look completely awful, but I don't dig it.

The Velocity suit looks like garbo though, IMO.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I remember some Insomniac guy saying there's an in-story reason for the white suit.

I'm all up for alt-Spidey outfits (part of the reason I'm pre-ordering is because of that rad Iron Spider suit), but I'm just not feeling that white suit.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    From the confirmed suits so far I'd even say Advanced is my favorite of them all.

I'd order them:

1) Advanced

2) Iron Spider

3) Classic

4) Noir/Velocity

5) Punk/Homemade

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    No symbiote and no black suit are not the same thing.

Fencingsax wrote: »
    No symbiote and no black suit are not the same thing.

Yea, like I mentioned earlier there are also multiple black spider-man suits.

cloudeagle wrote: »
    I remember some Insomniac guy saying there's an in-story reason for the white suit.

I'm all up for alt-Spidey outfits (part of the reason I'm pre-ordering is because of that rad Iron Spider suit), but I'm just not feeling that white suit.

I assume it's to resist whatever Negative Man's powers are.

• warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    This is my most anticipated game in forever. I only bought a PS4 after they announced that it was exclusive.

The swinging looks really good. It's open world. These are the two major selling points, everything else is a bonus.

There was an interview with Intihar, no Balloons.

I already preordered the super deluxe collectors edition.

I'm trying to stay away from spoilers lately they are starting to show more and more stuff lately.

The only thing that I want from the game that hasn't yet been revealed are races/time trials. I hope they're in there, and if they are I hope they track your results vs your friends list.

steam_sig.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Polygon has a pretty good video about fighting style influences, the animations in this game look really amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSo15ekYEM4

Started reading the prequel book last night.

It's pretty entertaining so far! And seems to give some good insight into what's going on when the game starts. Considering the Peter we are playing as has been Spider-Man for 8 years it's nice getting to see a little bit of set-up going into the game.

edited August 2018
    Link to a picture showing the front of what is most likely the full selection of suits RIGHT HERE!

Total number:

Answer to the Black Symbiote Suit question:
    Looks like they told the truth, it's not in the game. Most likely for the reasons we were already figuring. Maybe for a future DLC or future game where it takes a role in the story.

Edit to add: There's some real cool looking stuff in there. Cannot wait to see the full things!

DemonStacey on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Costume
    There is at least one black suit in that line up, maybe two, depending on the lighting.

Neither one is the symbiote suit

I recognize more than half of those!

Most of them look great!