As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP • Monster of the Week] City of New Eden (1980's) [OOC]

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Reynolds Auralynx - Would that work? I can get something put together today easy.

Up to you, but I wouldn't complain!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    If Reynolds is in, we can move forward with that plan.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    If it makes everyone happy, it's fine by me.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Ok. Incoming Divine tonight.

If Austin stays on Divine and we're in a shared setting, we probably don't get our orders from the same guys and can do crossovers where we argue.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Ok. Incoming Divine tonight.

If Austin stays on Divine and we're in a shared setting, we probably don't get our orders from the same guys and can do crossovers where we argue.

I'm sticking with not doubling up on Playbooks, even if we're splitting groups.

• Options
    But I believe @AustinP0027 said they were A-OK being a Chosen instead.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Yep. If Aura wants Divine, I'll use my Chosen guy instead.

• Options
    Solid. I'll see what I can get together on lunch / after work.

I couldn't dig up my hard-copy of the game this weekend; it may've vanished into the possession of a buddy who moved to New Hampshire earlier this year, which would be a bummer if so.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    edited August 2018
    @MrTLicious @AustinP0027 @Auralynx @jdarksun @Reynolds @discrider @Fencingsax @Egos

Please check the OP, I have split the groups up. For the history portion - I want everyone to max out at 4 connections with other players. 3 from your 'home' group and 1 with someone from the other group.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    So we basically have one team of heavies (plus jdark) and one of slightly more-technical people with discrider's monster? No possibility of conflict there.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Histories:

@MrTLicious - A rival at first, but you came to a working arrangement. (I don't know if this is me tell you or mutual agreement, so let me know if you have thoughts)
    When Michael and Abe first met, they weren't on the best of terms. Abe was more experienced, and had put the time into his craft. Michael was the new upstart who has been chosen to do this, and obviously they both rubbed each other the wrong way. Over time, they learned to work together towards the common goal. They still occasionally pick at each other, Michael doesn't like that Abe doesn't accept the fact that he was chosen, but they have slowly gotten past their major issues to be able to work together regularly.

@Auralynx - (this is an easy one with a Divine)
    They are destined to be your mentor. Tell them how
    this was revealed.
    The ancient cult that found Michael had made it clear from the beginning that he would require Divine intervention to be able to succeed in his destiny. Michael had always thought that meant a specific act from above, or maybe being gifted some type of power. Instead, it was an actual person, or, more specifically, a being. When he met "INSERT DIVINE'S NAME HERE", Michael knew immediately that the Divine intervention that he would need was mentoring from "INSERT DIVINE'S NAME HERE"

@jdarksun -
    You saved their life, back when they didn’t know monsters
    were real. Tell them what you saved them from
    Josh was filming an episode for his show, when he stumbled on a pack of werewolves that were the actual cause of the disappearances that had been wrongly attributed to some sort of haunting. Michael had been in the area hunting the werewolves, and managed to save Josh (but not his cameraman).

Other Crew:
    @Fencingsax - Your best friend in the world, who you trust totally.
    Sammy and Michael grew up together, and while their paths diverged, they still keep in touch regularly.

@MagicPrime - I still need to get the "I'm Here for a Reason" stuff figured out. Is that meant to be a really big giant thing (Save the cheerleader, save the world) or is it meant to be more story arc in having a single big bad I'm meant to take out?

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Extremely speedy draft, while putting my mission outside spoilers so others can interact with / object to it:

Mission: Satan has attempted to (further) corrupt mankind through the influence of False Metal, and must be stopped.
    Divine
    Charm -1, Cool +1, Sharp 0, Tough +2, Weird +1

Moves:
    Boss from Beyond, Angel Wings, Smite

Gear: Flaming Sword, Divine Armor (Denim & Leather)

Mission: Satan has attempted to (further) corrupt mankind through the influence of False Metal, and must be stopped.

Look: Shaved-headed man in denim and leather with terrifying eyes.

- Austin's prayers summoned me.
    - MrT's the guy I ask advice about mortal things.
    - jdark shouldn't even be involved at all.
    - discrider is an abomination and should be destroyed, but can't be because of the truce between the forces of Heaven and Hell.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    @Reynolds They’re a close relative. Ask them to decide exactly
    what.
    My suggestion would be an uncle or cousin, but it's apparently up to you

@discrider They’re somehow tied into it all. You’ve been keeping
    an eye on them.
    strange occurences, sightings of the impossible,rumors of the weird? Sammy can't prove anything, only has a hunch. But there's been a face turning up more often than is coincidental. Sammy doesn't know anything, but suspects a lot.

@Egos Fellow freaks.
    Whatever church Bastian attends, it is freaky-deaky.He's not big on the details, and frankly with this city, I don't really want to know. I just know it's weird. I can sympathize. It's not like what I do is normal, y'know?

@AustinP0027 Old friends, who originally met through a long chain
    of coincidences.
    It was nothing really special. One summer, Sammy lost a special baseball card. He knew he dropped it in the capitol building of [Redacted] when they visited for school. Somehow, [austinp0027], who came the next year, found it, and reurned it.They've been friends ever since.

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Some info on the Haven:
    It's a Catholic church in a lower-middle class residential neighborhood. It might border a rougher area. I live in the rectory. I am the only one with keys to some of the rooms in the basement where I keep lots equipment I've collected over time (the lab and armory). It's somewhere around here:
    RtbXSZk.jpg

• Options
    Histories:

@Auralynx You came to me for advice and it got you out of trouble. What was the trouble?

@AustinP0027 (I'm cool with your description). We were taught by the same master. How did it end?

@jdarksun I saved your life in a tough spot. On one of your shootings (maybe the first?) you managed to actually be at the location of an extraterrestrial encounter. The footage shows the night sky as a bright light shoots toward the ground. It lands a few hundred yards away and you run toward it. At the impact location you see a small crater with some kind of wreckage inside. As you approach a being jumps out at the camera, causing it to fall on the ground and point in the opposite direction. The audio portrays a desperate struggle - your pants and groans mixed with a high pitched shrieking. What it does not show is me arriving to strike down the alien before it can kill you.

@Egos You once helped me get a singular item that it now part of my haven. It looks like an ornate, antique handbell. At one point it was being used to summon demons by an unsuspecting/charmed person but we managed to acquire it. We attempted to destroy it and could not, but we did successfully deactivate it. It now rests dormant (or is it!?) in the haven.

• Options
    Is the Church still being used as a church? or is it closed down?

• Options
    @MrTLicious
    We were trained by the same master, but Abe started his training before Michael did. Instead of respecting Abe as his elder/superior, Michael challenged his authority from the very beginning. That build up of aggression is what led the two of them to simultaneously leave their master's training, both venturing out to prove themselves as the better student.

• Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Is the Church still being used as a church? or is it closed down?

Still being used as a church. My dayjob is as the priest.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Some history nudges to help me on my end and tighten things up.

Austin/Auralynx - Lets' not worry about your missions and purposes right now. I would rather this be something that comes up later. And lets make a little nudge to Auralynx in that he was 'sent' to Austin a few months after Oberon's death. This could still be due to a prayer from Austin asking for 'help' -- but the major catalyst was his master being taken from him.

Austin/MrTLicious - Your master's name was Oberon. He was the leader of the religious cult. He was a very old man, but didn't seem to show any physical signs of his old age other than appearance. A few years back you were both contacted by him to meet at a safe house. When you got there Oberon was dead. An iron stiletto through his heart. This event led to you putting aside your differences and start working together.

jdarksun/MrTLicious - The 'Aliens' are actually a race from apocalyptic dimension adjacent to our own. To a layman they would appear to meet the criteria of aliens, but they are technically 'earth born' creatures from another dimension. Their dimension is what will happen to ours if the forces of Hell would win.

jdarksun/MrTLicious/Austin - The werewolf event and the 'alien' event are nearly identical - so we are going to combine them into one event where you both save Josh and all three of you meet. Using the event above.

FencingFax/discrider - Due to working together you know that Broker is 'on the know' so far as the Supernatural Underworld. But his true demonic nature still eludes you.

Reynolds/FencingFax - If you go with nephew that'd be pretty solid, and I would say it was through a younger sister of Max's.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Franklin Night (aka Josh)'s histories:

@MrTLicious - Abe is Josh's hero, though Josh is, like, totally cool about it. We're surrounded by all this weird shit, but Abe's just a regular guy! He's not, like, secretly a werewolf or half-alien or like literally an angel or any shit like that. And that's rad. Just a big ass bag armory and guts for miles. Oh, and a flamethrower, which helps.

@AustinP0017 - Look, it's not personal, but trouble follows Michael. And while that's good for ratings, it's dangerous for everyone around you. You never know when the guy at the jukebox is just chilling listening to Blue Oyster Cult, or is totally a cultist with one of them weird axe-sword things that's going to suddenly try and kill Michael in the middle of his Grand Slam Breakfast after a long night of monster killing. Denny's is never going to be the same for Josh, Michael. He's never going to be able to look at another Grand Slam without seeing blood on his ham.

@Auralynx - Josh saved Yuri's (don't know your character's name, but flaming sword + divine = Uriel in my mind) life while fighting a pack of hellhounds. Yuri was holding his own just fine, but one member of the pack was sneaking up on you and Josh just, like, totally unloaded on it. "Yeah, pretty wicked right?" Josh said with his foot on the corpse. "That's my own fighting style, I call it Josh-jitsu. The secret is kicking something really hard, then hitting it in the face with my nunchuks." Josh swung a nunchuk to emphasis the effect. "It's OK to be impressed, I get that a lot."

@Reynolds - Josh and Max are (half?) brothers, and while they have different last names the physical resemblances are unmistakable. Josh keeps trying to get you to come on the show, telling Max that "you've got the sort of face the cameras love! Trust me, I know!" Whether Max finds Josh well meaning or just insufferable is up to you. :) (also whether Josh is trying to distance himself from the money that made Night Moves possible, or if they only share one parent)

jdarksun on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Let's go ahead and wrap that Hellhound event up into the big event as well. Abe and AustinP saved you, then you managed to save Auralynx (of all people!) from a straggler that got the drop on him. In doing so you kinda 'proved yourself' so Abe and Austin keep your around, maybe begrudgingly for Auralynx. Since he thinks as a vanilla human you shouldn't be involved.

That might be a good injoke as well. The big bad Divine guardian sent from heaven on high got saved by a normie.

Actually that works out great.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    @discrider was Broker always a monster (at least as far as the group is concerned) or were they potentially "once a 'man'"?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Exactly what I was thinking. Sammy knows something is up, but has no idea on the sordid details.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    @Egos
    I, believe I'm required to say, that I'm "Reformed"

• Options
    Broker:
    @Fencingsax - Sammy
    We had you, for dinner at one point. You must have, caught, me on a bad night and escaped. How did you do that?
    Perhaps you should, also consider more carefully what you pursue into the dark.

@Egos - Bastian
    You and yours were, instrumental in my successful capture and release. Your cult bound and saved me from, my excesses.
    You are currently, my holder.

@Reynolds - Max
    We had a, business dealing. It was interrupted I believe. Ghouls.
    We had them at hand. Or well, I had them at hand and you had them at gun. Ah ha.
    I tried to reconvene afterwards but then there was, the screaming.
    I think we then left both, to change our suits though you seemed to be in the greater hurry.

@jdarksun - Mr Franklin Night
    During one of your, I'm sure, grainy and distorted adventures, you managed to interrupt another hunter during which I, vacated the scene.
    How did you manage to frustrate my death?

• Options
    Broker
    @jdarksun
    I have, also been forced to move.
    Please find herein a restraining order, preventing you or your company from, filming within 50 meters of my personage.

• Options
    1. MrTLicious || Absalom "Abe" Jones || The Expert
    2. AustinP0027 || Michael || The Chosen
    3. Auralynx || Yuri? || The Divine
    4. jdarksun || Franklin Night (aka Josh Burke) || The Mundane

1. Reynolds || Maxwell "Max" Maxwell, III || The Crooked
    2. Discrider || Broker || The Monstrous
    3. Fencingsax || Sammy || The Flake
    4. Egos || Bastian "Felsted" Fane || The Initiate

Alright, I fancied up the group/character post with links to the post with that character's sheet in it. I'd also recommend editing in an @ by the player names so the OP will also be linking to all of our accounts. Makes it easy to find us or send us a PM or whatever. This might just be for me, it makes it easier for me to find all the character sheets to look at when thinking about the characters, how we connect, what they can do, etc.

Now for History. I'm going to edit this into my character sheet post as well, which @jdarksun already did too, I noticed. Good to keep it all in one place.

@Fencingsax Max is just a few years out of college, so it depends on Sammy's age. Max could have an older sister that is Sammy's mother, and Max and Sammy are roughly around the same age? Or if Sammy is older, then Max's mother could be Sammy's sister? Might want to go through the non-rich side unless you want direct connections to the shady money.

@jdarksun Half brothers, where Josh is the son of Max's father's mistress, perhaps? So he didn't get the last name, and the father only threw enough cash his way to put him through school and kickstart the investment for his show. Dad probably didn't have high hopes for his acting career or this show in particular, but maybe now he's quietly one of the major advertisers/sponsors for it, through his various holdings?

@discrider I think that works. Perhaps you were representing another shady party interested in signing the mysterious client? Or you were there to make sure the deal didn't happen at all? And when zombies attacked you just took it in stride. Max saw you there, noticed how much you stood out, definitely thought you were a little creepy, and especially noticed how calmly you responded to the threat. He has no reason to think he'll run into you again, though, especially not in New Eden.

@Egos I think Bastian was also at the ill-fated party, although he was specifically hunting the ghouls. Maybe Broker didn't run into him, but when Max fled into the kitchen of the fancy house the party was being held at, he stumbled over a pile of corpses studded with crossbow bolts and right into Bastian well into clearing out the infestation. He'd cleared the way to the exit and took on the zombies following Max, letting him escape.

@Fencingsax Because of their family connection, I think Sammy is well aware of the crimes his family has committed. Both the mundane and the more exotic. Max is so far clueless, so @MagicPrime might have to let me know where he wants me to steer this. Same with the rival family and company from the party.

@discrider Broker was there for his first attempt at entering the business Underworld, and his complete failure. Max didn't want to give up a cushy life to deal with monsters, and he certainly didn't want to wind up fighting them, but here we are.

@MrTLicious Max's family was involved in some of the rezoning, permits, construction, etc. for your church/haven. Maybe even the secret bits. Max was tangentially involved during one of his trips home, running over papers for you to sign or otherwise acting as a messenger. He was clueless, but he might be your way to get to the family, if any of your deals to operate in this town unexpectedly go sour.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    @discrider What kind of Monstrous are you? I know you have "Thin Man," but is that like the Reptilians / Snakemen / Vipers from XCOM, or more like Slender Man?

• Options
    edited August 2018
    So, Should we do 2 threads - one for each group? Or I can color code so that One group's Keeper posts are Crimson and the other group's are Royal Blue.

MagicPrime on
  • Options
    Might be easier with a second thread. Might be difficult to know which posts we should be reading/paying attention to all in one thread.

• Options
    I’ll have my history up soon, just want to wake up a bit more . Still kinda dazed atm

• Options
    Alright, a few things for everyone to keep in mind. This is the 80's so no cell-phones other than things like a bag-phone, a car-phone, or maybe a Zack Morris. But even so you'd have to have $$$ to have one. Also, computers are pretty BASIC (get it?) but it would be possible to have a PC, with a modem or the like to dial into something like a rudimentary 'hunter' net.

• Options
    Bastian's History

@discrider A few months after Bastian became your handler, the two of you were sent to investigate a large drug shipment at the docks. The deal was arranged by a vampire crime family - after we took out a few of there guards, several vehicles full of reinforcements unexpectedly showed up. What happened next?

@Fencingsax When a city council member reappeared after missing for several years and looked exactly the same as the day he vanished- both Bastian and Sammy found it suspect . We eventually found out he was a doppleganger and we have been allies ever since.

@Reynolds We met under the pretense that I was just some buyer interested in acquiring some stolen artwork. How did you feel when you found out I was actually a hunter with connections to a secret society?

@Auralynx There are several prophecies known to my sect where a figure matching your description is mentioned. Although scholars still debate on exactly what your emergence means.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    @discrider What kind of Monstrous are you? I know you have "Thin Man," but is that like the Reptilians / Snakemen / Vipers from XCOM, or more like Slender Man?

More like, besuited man who is creepy, pasty and the same all the time.
    Up until something happens.
    Then he acts a little more like Slenderman.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    With a bit more thought given and elaboration on others' stuff, along with a continued failure to figure out where the heck I put that book.:

Briael, of the Host of Uriel

The Divine
    Charm -1, Cool +1, Sharp 0, Tough +2, Weird +1

Moves:
    Boss from Beyond, Angel Wings, Smite

XP: 2

Gear: Flaming Sword, Divine Armor (Denim & Leather)

Mission: Currently downplayed, but was on Earth on other business when sent to assist Michael, due to the death of Oberon.

Look: Shaved-headed man in denim and leather with terrifying eyes. Seems like he ought to be looking intently into the camera in an early heavy metal music video. Has a slight English accent.

@AustinP0027 - Michael's prayers summoned me, in a less-than-literal sense. After his / Abe's mentor Oberon died, Briael received instructions from Above to intervene in New Eden. It took a while for Briael to actually locate the Chosen One, but eventually they linked up. Briael's utility as a mentor is somewhat limited, unless you wanted to know how to punch a man's soul directly out of his body. Briael knows a lot about that kind of thing.

@MrTLicious - Abe is the guy I ask advice about mortal things. Notably, he's the one who explained to Briael that it is emphatically not normal to walk the streets in the middle of night looking for evil to smite (which has led to a succession of baffling police reports that are currently unsolved). Abe has also given Briael a lot of advice about blending in with humans but hasn't quite taught him not to stare down literally anyone he's speaking to.

@jdarksun - Josh Burke is, in the schemes of heaven, nobody important. The cosmic equivalent of random static in a TV pattern, even. Briael has been quite clear with Josh on this point, in fact. Nevertheless, he's always there, including that time where Briael might've been mildly endangered by a hellhound. This is a source of great confusion for Briael, who is used to things being orderly and well-understood. Briael is emphatically not impressed with Josh's nunchuck skills.

@discrider - "Broker"is an abomination and should be destroyed, but can't be because of the truce between the forces of Heaven and Hell. Direct war on Earth has been banned since the Reformation, as when mortals began to trend away from holy wars and burning one another at the stake a general policy of de-escalation pending their resolution of their own affairs was adopted.

@Egos - Briael is not himself a figure of huge importance in Heaven (or wherever he's from; he's somewhat evasive / unclear on that point if asked), but more of a foot-soldier and problem-solver. This obviously doesn't preclude him from being a figure of Prophecy, but he probably wouldn't be able to offer any insight himself.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Broker isn't aware of his own heritage.
    Before being 'saved' it's just moments of clarity between the nightmares.
    Knows a threat when he sees one though @Auralynx , even if you otherwise might be able to convince him to agree with your assessment.

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Auralynx wrote: »

AustinP0027 - Michael's prayers summoned me, in a less-than-literal sense. After his / Abe's mentor Oberon died, Briael received instructions from Above to intervene in New Eden. It took a while for Briael to actually locate the Chosen One, but eventually they linked up. Briael's utility as a mentor is somewhat limited, unless you wanted to know how to punch a man's soul directly out of his body. Briael knows a lot about that kind of thing

Uh, that’s pretty much the best skill you could teach anyone!

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Egos wrote: »
    Reynolds - We met under the pretense that I was just some buyer interested in acquiring some stolen artwork. How did you feel when you found out I was actually a hunter with connections to a secret society?

@Egos and @discrider maybe we could readjust how that party went down, and work that into this idea, now that I know more about how you two are connected?

I'm thinking Bastian was there to retrieve this stolen artwork, that is perhaps some magical artifact, and Broker was sent in to do his whole creepy observation bit. Max had no idea the artwork/artifact was being sold/transferred between two other people at the party, and its presence attracted the ghouls/zombies. His potential client being eaten was just an unfortunate and unrelated casualty. Then Bastian inadvertently saves Max while busting into the party to seize the sensitive item.

How's that work?

Edit: Oh, and I have a feeling it might be better to keep both IC plots in the same thread, if one's actions might have consequences for the other. Or if any other crossover will be possible. Since there's already cross group connections.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Cursed artwork...that works for me
    610gKb-5BaL._SL1001_.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I was half thinking that this was your cursed artwork that we retrieved @Reynolds
    Would go a way to explain why you lost your job when you didn't return with our cash.

Rather depends how big you'd like the ghoul party to be.

discrider on