As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mount and Blade:Warband-X Mod better than Y Mod- Z Mod okay

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    GAMESCOM APPROACHES!

And coinciding with that, Taleworlds has released their Gamescom plans for Bannerlord in a blog titled, appropriately enough, The Road to Gamescom.

And, instead of being all cagey about it, they just straight up announce that there'll be a single-player demo of basically the whole game available at Gamescom. They'll use some pregen characters so that people can get right into the action, but combat, trading, quests, etc., are all going to be available, and it's only the lack of time to play that'll prevent demoees (?) from getting to the mid- to late-game content like joining factions and fighting for territory.
    Guests will be able to freely explore the map and its settlements; meet and speak to the many different inhabitants of Calradia; hire and train troops; take part in skirmishes and battles; trade goods; enter tournaments, and take quests from notables. The demo is set in the early-game phase so it is extremely unlikely that guests will be able to progress far enough in the limited amount of time they have to experience mid- to late game features like joining a faction and taking part in sieges, which is unfortunate. However, we feel that the demo is a good representation of what players can expect to experience when taking their first steps in Bannerlord.

There's more info coming in next week's blog.

Is it happening? I feel like it might be happening ...

Also, last week's blog was about the Encyclopaedia Calradia, sometimes known as "That bunch of hard-to-use menus of gigantic alphabetical lists of people and places" in Warband. Among the announced features of the newly-expanded-and-improved EC are ... troop trees! Which, yet again, is a feature that basically every mod worth its salt already included in Warband, so it's good to see Taleworlds taking the community's direction again.

They're also adding some extremely needed functionality around actually searching the huge lists of stuff in the game:
    One of the first improvements we made in this regard was the addition of a search function. In Warband, searching through a list of character names can be a tedious affair, but it is certainly doable. However, in Bannerlord, scrolling through a list of characters to find a specific person would be rather frustrating due to the sheer number of characters that are in the game. Likewise, there are hundreds of settlements in Bannerlord (over twice as many as Warband) and scrolling through to find a specific one would be mind-numbing. To help with this, if you aren’t entirely sure of the spelling of the entry you are searching for, then the search function also includes suggestions to auto-complete your search.

Also, emphasized text (emphasis mine) is an awesome tidbit of info.

Also, also, the screenshot they used shows the cultures that'll be present in the game (at least as of when the screenshot was taken):
    xtsup38tapsb.png

It's also going to include a "Concepts" section, which basically sounds like actual help text for the game. All around solid improvements!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    So, in non-Bannerlord news, Prophecy of Pendor came out with a new release (3.9.2?) which isn’t save compatible, so I’m taking this opportunity to try some non-PoP mods from the workshop.

The first one I’m trying is one I played a long time ago, when it was OG M&B-only: The Last Day’s of the Third Age.

In terms of raw graphics, PoP has it beat, despite it drawing heavily from the gorgeous LotR movies.

In terms of “elves and dwarves” and “killing orcs,” though, it totally wins.

I also like their take on currency - money being somewhat useless when the end of the world is nigh. Instead, you have “requisition points” that are faction-specific, and represent more “how much of our stuff / troops do we trust you with” then any raw gold value. Troops are paid out of the RP for their own faction, so multicultural armies are harder to put together, at least until you’ve ranked up with them. With ranks comes a certain amount of passive RP income for that faction.

The “war” starts once you hit a particular level - 8, by default. Haven’t made it that far just yet, and it’s been a long time since I played it in OG M&B, so interested to see how that works in the Watband version.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Nice! I had no idea there was a LOTR mod for Warband honestly -- I remember playing the vanilla version waaay back in the day before Warband was out and it was one of the few mods out there. I thought it was abandoned, so that's cool to see!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Nice! I had no idea there was a LOTR mod for Warband honestly -- I remember playing the vanilla version waaay back in the day before Warband was out and it was one of the few mods out there. I thought it was abandoned, so that's cool to see!

Literally the same boat I was in. :D

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    That’s shit hot

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I also saw where someone grabbed a screencap of the map:

gohl6zgfgfh11.png

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    the real question is... will taleworlds actually give a release date.... I think if they don't they will actually break off a large portion of their hype machine, a lot of people have decided that they are going to give a release at gamescon, and if they don't its gunna make a lot of people salty.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    I'm with Elvenshae, their hype machine has steadily gained momentum up to this point, and I feel like a release date is nigh. You don't release this much info this steadily when you still don't have an idea of when it's coming out. There certainly could be unexpected setbacks, but I think we're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    DAT CAVALRY CHARGE AT THE END, UUUUUGGGGGHHHHNNNNN.

Also the general physics of the combat, smashing dudes into barrel rolls. Christ I hope they're not bullshotting with that stuff.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/mQm0QMz0LOc

I didn’t have a chance to watch this yet, but no release date offered is my understanding?

• Options
    I would be surprised if they announced a release date before, like, the last day of Gamescom.

Use the whole thing to show more and more pieces, and then, at the end, BAM.

• Options
    @3:40 in the video @desc posted: a human woman appears who looks ... HUMAN!

The graphical upgrades in this game are just great.

• Options
    I’m just trying to get myself in the right place spiritually for when they don’t drop a release date

By these tests will your faith be known, believers

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    I’m just trying to get myself in the right place spiritually for when they don’t drop a release date

the fact the interviewers asked about the release date and they said they don't even know does not bestow a lot of faith in a release date coming forth.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    ... had we seen the skills-and-perks system yet?

I feel like that's new?

• Options

the fact the interviewers asked about the release date and they said they don't even know does not bestow a lot of faith in a release date coming forth.

They’ve polished up the early game which leaves ... the middle and end

I’m nervous if they’re 1/3 done

• Options

They’ve polished up the early game which leaves ... the middle and end

I’m nervous if they’re 1/3 done

This from Elvenshae's post above makes it sound like that stuff is mostly done, as well:
    Guests will be able to freely explore the map and its settlements; meet and speak to the many different inhabitants of Calradia; hire and train troops; take part in skirmishes and battles; trade goods; enter tournaments, and take quests from notables. The demo is set in the early-game phase so it is extremely unlikely that guests will be able to progress far enough in the limited amount of time they have to experience mid- to late game features like joining a faction and taking part in sieges, which is unfortunate. However, we feel that the demo is a good representation of what players can expect to experience when taking their first steps in Bannerlord.

• Options
    Carcass pls i can’t afford the luxury of hope only to potentially be crushed

• Options
    In the video above, there's a tournament at ~20 minutes. I only saw 1 instance of "Horseman runs into wall, gets stuck there until they die."

!!!

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    In the video above, there's a tournament at ~20 minutes. I only saw 1 instance of "Horseman runs into wall, gets stuck there until they die."

!!!

Oh that's a relief! I was a bit worried Bannerlord would be too much of a departure from the original. :razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/mount-blade-2-bannerlord/mount-blade-2-bannerlord-crunch

Even though that's a bummer to hear (I hate the games industry "crunch time" bullshit), that's certainly more evidence of an imminent release.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Hearing that they do have a release date in mind is a bit reassuring.

There are a lot of games I love. Many I'll go back and replay from time to time, but none save for Mount & Blade that I have played consistently for nearly 14 years straight. Hell, I've not even stuck with MMOs for half that long.

So while I would totally love to get a release date, especially one that is "next month", I am content enough to wait because I know the time I've spent waiting for Bannerlord is likely to pale in comparison to the amount of time I'll spend playing it.

Though the time spent waiting is dreadful. :razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    From what I hear about the games industry, being in crunch doesn't necessarily mean that launch date is near.

Little tidbit from that article though: "Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord was revealed back in 2012". I definitely remember the announcement, I didn't even realise I'd been waiting that long!

Campy on
  • Options
    Only 80 hours a week? *snaps fingers* let’s get this show on the road people I want to play it this century

• Options
    They've got a new blog post covering some items from Gamescom in a little more depth - in this case, the Character screen.

They talk about Perks:
    Perks, as the name suggests, give your character certain bonuses. These bonuses could be anything from an increase in party size to extra ammunition in battles, or they even unlock certain actions, such as the ability to reload any crossbow while on horseback. Players are unable to unlock all of the perks, and in many cases, a choice will have to be made about which perks that you would like to choose. In the end, perks act as a great way for players to customise their character to match their playstyle.

.... and Skill Focus:
    Skill focus allows your character to gain experience at a faster rate for that particular skill. However, once you invest a skill point into a focus then it is permanently locked in. To gain skill points in any of the skills, you need to have made an initial investment of focus points, meaning that skills that are shown as level 0 and have no focus points invested in them cannot progress, no matter how much you practice them.

You get 2 SF each time you level up.

NPCs in your part are under your total control, as far as their leveling up goes. Also, you can assign them to various party roles, and those will leverage certain skills to assist your mercenary band:

93dw8h1a16rz.png

Looks like a good fix for the "quartermaster" issue from M&B.

In "trying Warband mods" news, I've tried out three more since my last post:

1. Diplomacy: It's basically vanilla with some better features, and Diplomacy is, I think, best suited to being included in other mods that actually do something more original. Also, the version on the Steam Workshop is busted; companion auto-looting doesn't work, and that's, like, half the reason to use a mod like Diplomacy. Instead, use a mod that incorporates Diplomacy, like

2. Perisno: This is another fantasy mod, with the option to play as a human, dwarf, elf, or giant. I started as an elf (natch), and ... there doesn't seem to be much different compared to a human so far. In addition to a [functional] implementation of Diplomacy, it uses things like a Fog of War - settlements are hidden when you start out, and you can buy maps to reveal it - and a new skill, Foraging, which reduces food required by your party whenever you're camping. The mod also features a relatively insane number of major and minor factions, a revamped warfare system, and some pretty decent graphics. Interested to try this out a little more and see what's what.

3. Star Wars Conquest: It's SW-flavored Mount and Blade! It's ... super janky, even for M&B, and has been largely abandoned, as near as I can tell - it's in a "beta" state with no updates for 18 months, and the last dev post on the forum was something about help some user who couldn't download the mod in January. Still, the fact that they got this to work at all was pretty cool. I chose Rebels (natch), made my pistol-wielding Smuggler Dacen Tchiss, and started in space above Yavin IV (currently held by the Rebels and occupied by Mon Mothma). I flew down to the planet (in my A-Wing?), to find that the settlement was UNDER ATTACK! This meant that I spawned in on the edge of the map on my civilian-model speeder bike, surrounded by 6-10 Stormtroopers who boxed me in and shot me and my bike to pieces. An inauspicious beginning. I tabbed out and came back (no Stormies this time), and hired a Wookiee, a Mon Cal, and a Rebel Recruit to go with the handful of recruits I already had. I took down a bounty hunter, played some Pazaak, and figure out how to shoot a pistol. Unfortunately, I ran into some other stormtroopers, and they slaughtered my crew and took something like 5 damage per shot from my starter pistol before knocking me out and taking me prisoner. Interesting idea, but not well-enough implemented for me to stick around.

• Options
    Perisno Update:

I started out a dwarf character to see what's up ...

They get a really cool opening with a little dungeon delve thing (and regen for the opening, so you can complete it).

Foraging works all the time; it just works better (?) when you're camping.

Dwarven heavy goat cavalry is bullshit.

• Options
    Another Persino Update:

You can go up to a Lord, and offer to enlist in their army. They'll say something like, "Oh, sure - based on your skills and talents, you look like you'd make a fine [...]. Here's your gear and I'll pay you!" If you accept, the game proceeds like you've been captured (e.g., your in someone else's party with no control), except this time, you get to fight!

I took my Elven character up to an Elven lord and noticed the option, so I took it. He turned me into a low-level archer in his army, granting me a fighting knife, some new armor, a decent bow, and some arrows. I'm not sure how they determine which unit they turn you into. Anyway, he then got into a 300-on-70 fight on the wrong side, and we got cavalry-stomped, so I reverted back to my earlier save and pledged fealty to the Elven queen, instead.

My new village comes pre-looted!

• Options
    Not sure if everyone's seen this yet, but here's 6 minutes of Bannerlord gameplay by someone who's obviously played M&B before, brought to you by IGN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTVKMcWu_CE

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    275.gif

• Options
    Some more Gamescom footage:

https://gamervw.com/2018/08/24/30-minutes-mount-blade-ii/

30 minutes from GameRVW; haven't had time to watch it yet, so there might be something interesting in there.

• Options
    ... and here's one where the user basically mouses over every perk, the does the same through inventory, shows off the CIVILIAN CLOTHES OPTION (OMG!), something about upgrading tiers to add new parties (?), personality traits ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98gxehJeYAI

a9ni59sc9u4d.png

05910c2tg075.png

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Today's blog is ... NOT a release date!

It's a quick recap of the stuff they showed at Gamescom, and a couple highlighted videos. Ones I hadn't seen before are:

Rock Paper Shotgun's, as done by a seasoned M&B vet (watching a total newbie play):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ByrC0GoQrE

... and Steejo's, a M&B veteran:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNhs-XKKD-s

Next week's blog will be a Q&A, based on community questions about the Bannerlord demos.

ED: Had the relative experience levels reversed. oops

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    So this is a thing I wasn't aware of:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/mb_warband/Avatar/List

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    So this is a thing I wasn't aware of:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/mb_warband/Avatar/List

That's honestly pretty fuckin amazing

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Here's the Community Q&A Blogstravaganza!

Note: no release date supplied!

Here's a couple of my favorite Qs and their As:
    Will the game release in Early Access?
    We feel that some form of Early Access would be beneficial for getting community feedback and balancing game elements. It would also allow dedicated fans to access the game sooner. Therefore our intention is to take this path at some point, however, we do not have a specific time frame for this.

Will there be dynasties/families in the game?
    Players will be able to have family members and children. Time flows faster in Bannerlord (when compared to Warband) with a year currently set to 84 days (we will probably fine-tune this further before release). Also, you can start the game with siblings, nephews and nieces and they serve as potential heirs as well.

Can we still build castles in villages we own?
    We had to drop that feature. At some point in development, fief management became too complex, with towns, castles and villages each having their own specific management screens. The ability to build castles in villages also gave rise to complex rules. For example, demolishing the castle in a village could potentially revert the village to another kingdom and we had to add complex logic to handle that. Overall, we felt that the design had become too bloated and unappealing.

The solution was changing the status of villages so that they would no longer be considered independent fiefs but were always attached to a castle or town. This removed the necessity to have a management screen for villages and simplified and streamlined the system. The aesthetics of our new villages is also much more pleasing.
    ED: BOOOOO! The solution was to revert to Warband, I guess. :(

Game Engine developer Q&A next week.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Can the player and/or AI lords permanently die?
    Our current plan is to have this for both players and NPCs, but we will add an easy mode option to disable it for the player character. Players will be able to continue with a family member if their main character dies.

I'm curious if this will reduce games of whack-a-noble where enemy npc lords would get defeated, respawn in their castle, and then beeline for you again to be knocked out and repeat the process.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I wonder if your family members can turn on you for a chance to inherit your kingdom? That'd be fun times :rotate:

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    We had to drop that feature. At some point in development, fief management became too complex, with towns, castles and villages each having their own specific management screens. The ability to build castles in villages also gave rise to complex rules. For example, demolishing the castle in a village could potentially revert the village to another kingdom and we had to add complex logic to handle that. Overall, we felt that the design had become too bloated and unappealing.

The solution was changing the status of villages so that they would no longer be considered independent fiefs but were always attached to a castle or town. This removed the necessity to have a management screen for villages and simplified and streamlined the system. The aesthetics of our new villages is also much more pleasing.

I like that this was cut not due to time or resources, but because it just wasn't fun. Still, it'd be nice if they were able to make it work or at least make it optional for those that want more complexity. As long as I can give a lord a castle and it's attached villages in one go, I'll be happy. That's a huuuuuuge pain in Warband.
    Our current plan is to have this for both players and NPCs, but we will add an easy mode option to disable it for the player character. Players will be able to continue with a family member if their main character dies.

I'm curious if this will reduce games of whack-a-noble where enemy npc lords would get defeated, respawn in their castle, and then beeline for you again to be knocked out and repeat the process.

I just wonder what will happen when all of the lords are dead. Will they have heirs too?

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I like that this was cut not due to time or resources, but because it just wasn't fun. Still, it'd be nice if they were able to make it work or at least make it optional for those that want more complexity. As long as I can give a lord a castle and it's attached villages in one go, I'll be happy. That's a huuuuuuge pain in Warband.

I just wonder what will happen when all of the lords are dead. Will they have heirs too?

Depends on how thorough you are . . .

Actually I imagine there could be some system that keeps popping up cousins and bastards if the population gets too low. Or just generates new lords swearing fealty. If so, I hope that's an option that can be tuned. One of my favorite visual touches in Game of Thrones is how court gatherings get smaller and smaller with each season with a bigger proportion of teenage, elderly, and female vassals in court as able bodied young men get killed in conflicts as the series has gone on.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772