As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Of all the [movie] threads in all the forums in all the world, she walks into mine

minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying fieldnjRegistered User regular
Fresh start! Movies! How fucking cool are they?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust

• Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Saw Ant-Man and The Wasp. That was a pretty entertaining movie!

Also saw Hot Fuzz for the first time and that was really good!

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i watched mamma mia the other day

it was endlessly entertaining. everybody present just fuckin goes for it, with choreography/cinematography/production design that varies from luxe, over-the-top cruise ship dream sequence to "y'all are rifling through your friend's messy bedroom and she doesn't wanna get out of bed so maybe like waggle a vibrator in her face or something while 'dancing queen' plays." i very much want to believe it was as fun a movie to make as it seems

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Saw Infinity War. That ending was still a gut punch despite knowing how it ended.
    Groot and Parker really hurt. Especially after finding out Groot says dad to Rocket

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    im late to the party but "Peter Rabbit" is extremely funny and good. as in good enough for me to want to buy the dvd. its pretty much a family comedy but so well done

Jasconius on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Saw Infinity War. That ending was still a gut punch despite knowing how it ended.
    Groot and Parker really hurt. Especially after finding out Groot says dad to Rocket

WHY WOULD YOU SAY THIS

NOW I CAN'T UN-KNOW THIS

I'M SAD FOREVER

FUCK

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Movies? I haven't heard that name in a long time. A very long time...

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Infinity war thing
    It seems like most people got dusted fast enough that if they get de-dusted they'll be like "what the fuck was that" but man ol Petey Parker saw the Reaper slowly striding towards him, he will know bitter taste of death

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Hobnail wrote: »
    It seems like most people got dusted fast enough that if they get de-dusted they'll be like "what the fuck was that" but man ol Petey Parker saw the Reaper slowly striding towards him, he will know bitter taste of death
    (Infinity War)
    It was his Spider-Sense setting off every possible red flag

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hobnail wrote: »

Please be sure to put in some form of notification for which movies spoilers are about (Infinity War, in this case)

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I still think the total lack of music during those scenes was a brilliant, bold choice. It would have been so easy to underscore it with some dramatic swelling of strings to emphasize the drama, but the total silence adds a tension and uncomfortableness that permeates into the audience and lets it grab you by the gut.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

i think my uncle watched movies. but he said they were dead. he said disney gnaws upon their corpse

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

i think my uncle watched movies. but he said they were dead. he said disney gnaws upon their corpse

Actual Cannibal Reanimated Walt Disney

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    im late to the party but "Peter Rabbit" with Daisy Ridley is extremely funny and good. as in good enough for me to want to buy the dvd. its pretty much a family comedy but so well done

Isn't that the movie where the rabbits attack a person with food allergies by pelting him with the food he's allergic to, to induce an anaphylactic reaction?

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Isn't Peter Rabbit the thing with James Cordon that was so bad it killed a bunch of movie critics

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I think Peter Rabbit is the film where a bunch of anthromorphic, trickster rabbits torment General Hux?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I think Peter Rabbit is the film where a bunch of anthromorphic, trickster rabbits torment General Hux?

yes

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular

it was endlessly entertaining. everybody present just fuckin goes for it, with choreography/cinematography/production design that varies from luxe, over-the-top cruise ship dream sequence to "y'all are rifling through your friend's messy bedroom and she doesn't wanna get out of bed so maybe like waggle a vibrator in her face or something while 'dancing queen' plays." i very much want to believe it was as fun a movie to make as it seems

I did this too! it was basically on a dare from my girlfriend, but it is a fun-ass goofy as hell movie that is very aware of what it is and what it's doing

I totally get why it became as big as it did

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    You couldn't pay me to watch James Cordon as a cartoon rabbit.

aGPmIBD.jpg
    Gustav wrote: »
    You couldn't pay me to watch James Cordon as a cartoon rabbit.

that's convenient, as nobody was going to try

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    ive seen peter rabbit on a bunch of critics "worst of 2018" lists, this is the first positive word ive heard of it

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    I don't know much about it but my mom sent me a text message in which she was horrified at the trailer.

with all the loud, cringey throw away family movies out there, I don't know how you could watch Peter Rabbit and come out with "this right here is the roadsign to the downfall of film"

it's a basically a Chuck Jones cartoon w/ British dialog. snappy and tight

anyway, i mis-stated earlier. Daisy Ridley is not the lead (for some reason Netflix put her as top billings on the listing so I just assumed that's what she looked like when not dressed in star wars rags)

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I learned a few things about the art of seduction from John Stamos in Never Too Young to Die: If a lady is making sexy eyes at you, do the following a). Cram in as many double takes and incredulous looks as possible and b). Make three separate trips into the house to retrieve, in this order, a bottle of mineral water, an apple, and another apple. Consume all three in front of her.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    it's a basically a Chuck Jones cartoon

That was the gist of the complaints I read about it
    Peter as a wise-cracking small-time sociopath.

I prefer Perry Bible Fellowship's interpretation.

PBF106-Billy_the_Bunny.jpg

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    it's a basically a Chuck Jones cartoon

That was the gist of the complaints I read about it

An impossible complaint for my mind to process.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    A lot of people aren't thrilled when you turn a beloved innocent childrens' tale into a story about a tiny shithead and his snarky pals.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I watched Coco yesterday. It was decent and had great visuals, but I didn’t enjoy it nearly as much as Moana. Nearly all of the characters just felt way too one-dimensional.

IKknkhU.gif
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    But Peter Rabbit was always a sort of roguish trickster, no? Are there Peter Rabbit stories that aren't centered around him stealing shit?

edited August 2018
    Look I just think willfully inducing anaphylactic shock is a step or two beyond, you know

Edit: I don't actually know what goes down in the movie, I just recall reading complaints that it was some combination of unfunny and irritating

Edit 2: but hey if you liked it, that's good!

Grey Ghost on
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I have not seen the film, but I gather that the essential difference is that Peter Rabbit is a Rascal, but James Corden's Peter Rabbit is a Prick

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think rascals are more often pricks than we're willing to admit, and a slight recontextualization of their narratives can often dispel that glamour

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    But Peter Rabbit was always a sort of roguish trickster, no? Are there Peter Rabbit stories that aren't centered around him stealing shit?

Yeah but he wasn't funny about it, that's just betond the pale.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Robin Hood was probably kind of a prick, too, I bet.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    i dont know who James Corden is (and also don't care)!

with respect to the fluffy animated rabbit's character and motivations, I guess I'd have to watch it again but at a high level his actions don't parse as "prick"

to me the difference between rascal and prick is intentions

if he wasn't hungry, then we would be a prick, but his primary motivation is food (and the movie is actually pretty explicit about this, possibly predicting the audience's sensibilities)

for a rabbit with no understanding of property law, this all seems pretty straightforward

Robin Hood was probably kind of a prick, too, I bet.

And I'm heading out to get the footage to prove it

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So Edge of Tomorrow was apparently renamed to Live Die Repeat like way after the movie came out right

That seems pretty wacky

Are there other movies that have done this?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    tynic wrote: »
    Straightzi wrote: »

Yeah but he wasn't funny about it, that's just betond the pale.

ok but what if: he did a car pool carrotoke

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Like, I love Tricksters, and I've spent a good deal of time studying them, but when you get down to it, they're pretty much all dicks.

They're charming dicks, yes, but that's because being charming is core to the function of being a Trickster. At the end of the day though, someone is going to be left holding the bag. Usually someone you don't like, in the direct context of the story, but that's where the recontextualization comes in. Suddenly the person that you might have disliked in their original form feels a lot less contemptible, a lot less sympathetic. Or maybe the hero's actions no longer feel as blindly culturally acceptable - Reynard stories are built on him being a serial rapist, Odysseus never stops murdering people, and so on.

YaYa wrote: »

I did this too! it was basically on a dare from my girlfriend, but it is a fun-ass goofy as hell movie that is very aware of what it is and what it's doing

I totally get why it became as big as it did

i did, however, receive literal whiplash going directly from the ending of the movie to reading the premise of here we go again. IT IS FIVE YEARS POST THE MAMMA MIA INCIDENT. THE TITULAR MAMMA MIA IS DEAD

f2ojmwh3geue.png
This discussion has been closed.