As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Yeah, maybe they'll talk about Mario Tennis again.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Did they ever show anything for Fire Emblem? I was busy all day so I didn't see anything they were showing off.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I would like to know too. I turned off the stream when they went back to Smash yet again after spending maybe 15 minutes on Starlink.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Did they ever show anything for Fire Emblem? I was busy all day so I didn't see anything they were showing off.

They did not. :(

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Gentle reminder that Treehouse localizes a lot of things, and are among the very best in the business when it comes to localization. Fates had problems, but I think very little of that was down to localization

I didn’t think that the localization of Fates was bad, persay? But 8-4’s localization of Echoes was amazing. I’d like at least that level of quality in Three Houses.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Not sure any localization could have saved that plot.

Dragkonias wrote: »
    Not sure any localization could have saved that plot.

I feel like the support conversations could have been saved. They were so damn boring.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I was fine with the supports for the most part.

Sure they weren't as comedic as Awakening but I thought most of those were just repeating the characters gimmicks over and over again until they eventually became BFFs with a few honestly amusing ones here and there.

If Three Houses could find a balance that'd be cool though.

Dragkonias on
    Maybe of interest, Shouzou Kaga, the creator of the Fire Emblem series, has been working on an extremely low budget totally-not-Fire-Emblem game called "Vestaria Saga" in his retirement. A demo of the English release just hit Steam today.

Don't get your hopes too high; this was built using an RPG-Maker-type tool, and it's clearly a somewhat janky labor of love made as a hobby. But it's S Kaga's labor of love! It has that certain familiar style.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    So like a TearRing Saga 2, that's cool.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    I started watching a Let's Play for Conquest this weekend. Now I wish I had started with that game. It looks way better than Birthright... story is still trash but the characters seem more entertaining...

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Oh how nice! I happen to have a Switch these days so I'm waiting on a real Fire Emblem, but I can imagine a time when a Steam FE would have been a godsend.

Shame he didn't think to give the maps unique colour schemes rather than going for the most obvious renditions of grass and rock. Throw some snow out there, autumn leaves, some sunset purple, all that.

Obviously we've barely seen anything but the first scenes tend to be a good overview.

edited August 2018
    Still watching the Conquest Let's Play (It's the Mangs & Ghast one specifically). Hooooooooly crap is this story bad. Like, oh my god, this is worse than the blandness of Birthright. Maybe Birthright would have gotten to this level of bad if I had kept going but damn... Specifically
    we need to conquer Hoshido so Garon can sit on the throne to bring about peace. WTF? This makes no god damn sense... Also Corrin continues to be the shittiest main character of any Fire Emblem. He/She was boring in Birthright but here Corrin is just spineless and an idiot...

Also agree with Mangs/Ghast in this - the writers don't seem to know what to do with "space-time" (I chuckle a little every time they call it this). It's woven into the story, but then the story ignores its existence when convenient and for the most part acts like it isn't there. I laughed at how out-of-place all the supports feel with the events of the story as a whole and Mangs joking about one "What, this Hoshido guy managed to break into space-time?" Haha... Just bad, bad writing.

On the plus side, I feel less apprehensive about Treehouse. For whatever reason, Nohr supports have actually been somewhat good. I still think Treehouse lacks a bit of flare that 8-4 put into everything (that is, a lot of it feels like a "by the numbers" straight translation in many instances), but I'm starting to think it's just that I hated most of the Birthright characters and they had shitty supports. So I'm gonna again blame the original writers and less the localization team this time. I have a bit more hope for Three Houses now :P (And honestly, I feel like IS got its groove back with the writing after this game anyways... you could even see it in Heroes where the earlier story arcs were pretty boring/bad but it's been starting to get really good with the Book II stuff... I feel like they brought in some better writers recently)

Edit: As a side note, I'm a little surprised by the overlap in the two games. I feel like I literally did most of these maps in Birthright, just with different enemy placement. It basically feels like Hector mode in FE7 how similar the two games are...

All that said though, watching this has kind of made me wanna go back and finish this myself. Story complaints aside, the gameplay does look pretty damn fun. I also feel like I've learned so much "Fire Emblem" in general since I first played that I might appreciate some mechanics a lot more than I did before.

Warlock82 on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I never finished Conquest or played Birthright, never mind the DLC. The stories and characters were dull and lifeless. Nobody was likeable or interesting.

And the mechanics went too far into the deep end of overpowering customization. Everything felt like it was built around the pair-up option, which I felt was getting too over complicated for its own good. Add on top of that customizable kids again, and the whole game felt like FE:Awakening fans designed it.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    The kids really shouldn't have been there. They do not fit into the story at all. I have found some likable characters on the Nohr side though. I've been really liking Arthur's and Niles's supports. Effie is not too bad either :P

Honestly though I feel like most of the characters are really well designed stuck with bad writing, so they aren't given a lot of room to grow like even the Awakening characters got.

I really like most of the Nohr characters, with one notable exception. Sure, they're not very deep, but they were colorful and fun to watch. I like seeing Captain America bounce off a manic pixie murder girl.

Ok, finished watching Conquest. Man what a terrible story. Nice to see where the Takumi GHB from Heroes originated (also God that game loves its spoilers).

I'm watching Mangs's Birthright playthrough now. Feeling a bit more positive about the writing here - Corrin is less of a spineless coward and does things that make sense. Writing is a bit better than I remembered. Getting less concerned about Treehouse localization the more I watch. Though still wish 8-4 was doing Three Houses.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Corrin, and the story in general, is pretty bad no matter which route is played sadly. Maybe the new FE will learn from the past, and maybe we'll learn more about it in tomorrows Direct.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited September 2018
    Talith wrote: »
    Corrin, and the story in general, is pretty bad no matter which route is played sadly. Maybe the new FE will learn from the past, and maybe we'll learn more about it in tomorrows Direct.

Yeah. I'm currently watching through his Revelations route now. Having seen both Conquest and Birthright though, I'd say Birthright at least has a somewhat reasonable story (not great but it's "ok" and the characters' motivations at least make some kind of sense). Conquest is just flat out pants-on-head stupid. So far Revelations is kind of in between those two.

All in all, more and more I'm getting the impression that if this had been one game and not three it could have been amazing. Each of the three games has some element that is good in that game, but really really poor in the others and in many places feel like they were rushed or decisions were made because "Well we visited this place in Birthright so we need to make up an excuse to go here in Conquest" type of things. And weirdly the games leave out important story elements expecting you to play all three. Like, Mangs started with Conquest and then played Birthright, but it's super super clear they intended you to play Birthright first as some things that make absolutely no sense in Conquest start to make a little more sense in the context of things learned in Birthright.

P.S. - "There is another world but if you talk about it you will die" is the dumbest thing ever. It's seriously making the Revelations storyline even dumber than it needs to be.

Edit: That said, I feel like they have learned. I think I've mentioned this, but you can kind of see it in Fire Emblem Heroes which I feel makes a lot of the same somewhat poor story choices early on but each new story chapter they release it feels like they actually can be somewhat competent with the writing. There's a pretty massive leap in quality around the time they started Book II in particular making me wonder if they switched out writers.

Edit 2: Oh, random side note. No idea why but I was in the mood last night - picked up my 3DS and started playing Sacred Stones (ambassador reward :P). I tried it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when that Ambassador program thingy happened but this was like the first Fire Emblem game ever I had played and I was totally lost along with trying to figure out why my Pegasus Knight kept dying to all the archers... hehehehe. I figured not only do I know a lot of the characters now thanks to Heroes (I actually recognized like everyone buy one dude in the intro!) but I'm way way better at Fire Emblem. Having fun so far, but only got a few levels into it before I was too tired to continue. Poor Seth, just sitting there, watching Eirika steal all his kills (sorry, not gonna feed kills to the Jagan - at least when I have other units who can use the XP more and can deal with the enemy just fine).

I didn't realize Tana shows up so early in the story too... I am guessing she is the Pegasus Knight I kept losing...

Warlock82 on
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Seth is actually amazing and one of, if not the best unit in the game. It's totally worth it giving him kills.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    edited September 2018
    Maz- wrote: »
    Seth is actually amazing and one of, if not the best unit in the game. It's totally worth it giving him kills.

Yeah but he gets so little XP :P I feel like the other units will benefit more, at least until I get to harder enemies. Maybe I can give him boss kills...

Edit: BTW, do you get battle preparations at some point in Sacred Stones? I guess the missions are easy enough they aren't needed still but I'd like to move weapons around and such.

I am also totally weirded out by the odd riff on Together We Ride they seem to be doing... It's like not the same song, but it's basically the same song...

Warlock82 on
    I started watching Mangs' let's play of Path of Radiance. Dang, that game looks super good! I don't know why but I always kind of wrote off these games as something I didn't think I would like. But I've been curious about the story so I wanted to watch a let's play. It's funny, you can see the direct evolution here from the GBA Fire Emblem games - it keeps a lot of the same tropes and visual cues while also doing some new stuff. Also jesus Vantage is OP in this game! Holy crap!

Now I want to play these on some kind of Switch VC type thing :( Also I want beasts in Heroes even more :3

I also need to get back to playing Sacred Stones :( Been busy with work crap the last month or so and haven't had any time to pick it back up other than a chapter or two.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh there's a thread of this.

I spent the last couple weeks sorta half watching someone on Twitch play GBA Fire Emblem (which I have since learned to call "7" even though it's the first in the USA). And I finally decided to get it via Wii U VC. So I did a couple nights ago. I like it. This is a good game and I can see why people were urging me to get on it sooner than I had.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I started watching Mangs' let's play of Path of Radiance. Dang, that game looks super good! I don't know why but I always kind of wrote off these games as something I didn't think I would like. But I've been curious about the story so I wanted to watch a let's play. It's funny, you can see the direct evolution here from the GBA Fire Emblem games - it keeps a lot of the same tropes and visual cues while also doing some new stuff. Also jesus Vantage is OP in this game! Holy crap!

Now I want to play these on some kind of Switch VC type thing :( Also I want beasts in Heroes even more :3

I also need to get back to playing Sacred Stones :( Been busy with work crap the last month or so and haven't had any time to pick it back up other than a chapter or two.

Do you own a Wii U? I'm not sure if the Wii U eShop is even still active, but I'm fairly certain a bunch of old FE games are/were available on there. I am not at home right now, but I can check my Wii U tonight to see what all I've got on there. Pretty sure I purchased every FE that was available on the eShop.

edited October 2018
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Do you own a Wii U? I'm not sure if the Wii U eShop is even still active, but I'm fairly certain a bunch of old FE games are/were available on there. I am not at home right now, but I can check my Wii U tonight to see what all I've got on there. Pretty sure I purchased every FE that was available on the eShop.

I do but it's not hooked up at the moment. I don't *think* PoR and RD were put on there though (I guess I should look). I know the GBA ones were (at least Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones) and I think Shadow Dragon for DS. Edit: Yup, just those three sadly

One of these days I need to hook that back up though. I wanted to hook it up in my bedroom but I've never gotten around to it.

Warlock82 on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    So far I've missed recruiting Guy, Raven, and Lucius. I wasn't trying to kill Guy at all; Eliwood crit him. Though I wasn't sure how I was supposed to recruit him in the first place. Same went for Raven. That dude was just on a mission to suicide himself on the neutral NPCs that were with Lucius.

Rebecca and Florina are dead. Rebecca died from a miscalculation in a boss attack, and Florina I neglected to account for a couple of mounted enemies.

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    So far I've missed recruiting Guy, Raven, and Lucius. I wasn't trying to kill Guy at all; Eliwood crit him. Though I wasn't sure how I was supposed to recruit him in the first place. Same went for Raven. That dude was just on a mission to suicide himself on the neutral NPCs that were with Lucius.

Rebecca and Florina are dead. Rebecca died from a miscalculation in a boss attack, and Florina I neglected to account for a couple of mounted enemies.

This is the realest post in the entire history of any Fire Emblem thread bar none

dN0T6ur.png
    I save-scummed once, and it's only because Priscilla died the turn I recruited her. I'm accepting everything else that happens though for an authentic experience.

That's very metal of you.

It's not the only kind of authentic experience! But it's very metal of you.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    As far as recruiting characters goes, FE7 is pretty forgiving compared to most other FE games. Except for recruiting Karla, because seriously, what the hell.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    Wyborn wrote: »
    That's very metal of you.

It's not the only kind of authentic experience! But it's very metal of you.

IIRC, People who worked on Fire Emblem at Nintendo have been spotted in the wild wearing t-shirts that have the soft-reset button combo on them.

edited October 2018
    I finally got around to playing more Sacred Stones tonight... Man this game is so fun. I'm up to chapter 9 now I think? Wherever the two paths branch. I just went with Eirika for now since that seems like the "Lyn/Eliwood" path that maybe you should do first.

Finally found some maps where I didn't feel bad about using Seth because he got more than 1 XP from the enemies :P He's been getting super good level ups so basically he is now a monster at like level 5 or something. On the mission where Eirika and Ephraim reunite I basically let him solo the entire left wing of the map.

Ross has also been pretty sweet. I did a little digging when he promoted since I wanted to make sure I wasn't picking a bad class for him (my instincts to go Pirate seemed right) and kind of read the recruit units suck, but Ross is ok since you get him so early and there are not many axe users. Ended up giving him the secret book since his skill was shit and I really think it was the right call.

Already having trouble deciding who to bring and ditch tho :( Like, I wanna deploy Joshua all the time but I'm mostly good on swords usually. Unless I want a super critty character :3 Been surprised just how much Colm is pulling his weight too. He's been getting some awesome level ups and actually does somewhat decent damage now, at least if he has weapon triangle advantage :P

Had a few close calls with stupid archers and Vanessa but she has been leveling so much defense that she is pretty tank even with the super effective damage... Plus I think the couple times I screwed up she just dodged the arrows anyways... Haha

Still trying to make Lute work. She needs better tomes. Fire is garbage and she doesn't double anything with it usually. She's been getting kinda bad level ups too :( Meanwhile Artur has been getting some pretty good ones and is a pretty nice archer killer. His tomes kinda suck against other stuff but I figure they'll be useful against monsters later.

Warlock82 on
    I started a new file in 7, caving in to my insecurity about letting characters die. And even though I know it doesn't add up to too much, I learned about the "support" thing and am actually going to use it.

edited October 2018
    OK listen since you're doing this you need to know that every recruitable character's intro sequence is meant to be a little hint about how to recruit them. Failing that, they can be recruited by your Lord, usually Eliwood.

Like, Guy for instance.
    Guy, if I remember, is introduced with an indication that he's Sacean like Lyn is. So go talk to him with Lyn and she'll recruit him to your side!

As to Raven
    You have to recruit Lucius first, and then Lucius can recruit Raven

One of the things about FE7 is that you have to be aggressive in your movement, without unduly endangering your units, to accomplish certain goals. This is very difficult until you get more confident in your movement options but you'll need to learn it eventually

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    About Guy:
    I recall you need to use Matthew to recruit him, turns out Guy "owes him his life".
    Can't remember if that's hinted at.

About Guy:
    I recall you need to use Matthew to recruit him, turns out Guy "owes him his life".

I am pretty sure it is.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    About Guy:

Less hinted at and more explicitly stated.
    If I think about the time I passed out in Caelin... Ooooh.
    Nothing funny about that!
    That man... What was his name...
    Matthew?
    If it hadn't been for him
    I would've starved to death...

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
    edited November 2018
    I finished watching Path of Radiance and am now most of the way through Radiant Dawn. So uh... That act 4 is a hell of a thing.

I'm kind of falling in love with all these characters though which makes it even more annoying that they aren't in Heroes yet, especially the laguz. I want my Naesala Grand Hero Battle dammit! Maybe in 3.0....

A little curious what my reaction to the Black Knight reveal would have been like if Heroes didn't horribly, horribly spoil it for me ahead of time. Probably similar to be honest - I'm waiting to see if they have an explanation because it's super baffling to me still.
    I just don't understand Zelgius playing both sides like that.
    It just feels weird. I get he has his Warp Powder crap so he can zip around places, but in terms of motivations it's just weird...

I need to keep going on Sacred Stones. Been slowly chipping away at it. I want to beat that and Echoes before I get too much spoiled for me, which I've seen Heroes in particular has no problem doing (seriously, how many Grimas are you gonna stick in there? Awakening isn't even that old of a game! At least I beat that one...). In any case, getting ready to bench Franz. God he sucks. I'm already having trouble fielding everyone I want and he takes sooooo much damage and doesn't double shit. You'd think as an early unit he'd have good growths or something but maybe I've just been unlucky. Meanwhile my Vanessa is absolutely insane and keeps getting crazy good level ups. Same with Ross. Can't wait to make him a Berserker.

Edit: God dammit, I was clicking Sanaki in Heroes and it just spoiled something else from Radiant Dawn that I hadn't quite gotten to yet -_-
    The fact she can't hear the voice of the goddess...
    Also I guess that weird pronounciation of Begnion is canon too...

Warlock82 on
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I finished watching Path of Radiance and am now most of the way through Radiant Dawn. So uh... That act 4 is a hell of a thing.

I'm kind of falling in love with all these characters though which makes it even more annoying that they aren't in Heroes yet, especially the laguz. I want my Naesala Grand Hero Battle dammit! Maybe in 3.0....

There've been a couple of remakes of the first Fire Emblem and recently one of the second.

I'd pay good money to get a Path of Radiance remake. Even though I must've finished that game a dozen times by now.

WotanAnubis on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I need an HD remake of FE7 (the first one in North America), bundled with FE6 (featuring Roy, Eliwood's son) so we get to see how the story ends. Modernize up the mechanics without straying too far from the game's origins, like what they did with FE: Echoes.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.