As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Astera Fest: Catch 'em all.

SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgradeRegistered User regular
edited July 2019 in Games and Technology
First thing is first:
Voice Comms

Introducing: Monster Hunter World

More updates on MH world soon to come!

What is Monster Hunter?

Welcome to the game where in the goal is to kill off these guys with some form of pointy or shooty implement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ZAQ9_QK5s&noredirect=1

Monster Hunter is a series about hunting little things, making weapons and armor from the bits of the little things then eventually using those weapons and armor to hunt bigger things. Repeat until the next game in the series comes out.

Old Screenshots

xW2u4XK.png
H97GkCr.png
EK02j0t.jpg
wc2pcjF.png
1e7AVC8.jpg

Game Info and Useful Stuff
Kiranico MH Generations database
Athena's Armor Set Search for all game versions.
GaijinHunter’s MHGEN weapon tutorial playlist. Seriously. Watch these for your weapon
Web Based Armor Skill Simulator for when you can't run Athena's
Handy MH Generations Monster chart.

Want to use a bow in MH Worlrd?

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/38919568/#Comment_38919568

Speaking of playing together. The generic PA password for rooms is

PS4 players:

PS4 Community:

Zenny Arcade: World

PS4 player form

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdi-Jnmhg2p9AhYRRKGkIhcldB_-NPGRLXUWwcqp_xQQdVPPw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Responses:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pWPeaIKQtsqlnO4od07FdLzkdQophfu9ibaQ6kAGvdc/htmlview#gid=626456156

For our Xbox brothers partaking in World:
Darkewolfe wrote: »

[PC] World

Steam info

PC player survey
https://goo.gl/forms/lU5KqDhKIuu7YYDp2

Responses
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kflOmrK0sFcj0iD9NqG5HYwhsjRmSYLvhFuNKFshnEA/edit?usp=sharing

Squad group
PA G&T Adventure Team: https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791431548925

There isa problem with the PC version. Make sure you have these codecs installed before you get to the final boss or the game will save right before an unwatchable cutscene which will make your game unplayable.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/mediafeaturepack

Or

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/web-media-extensions/9n5tdp8vcmhs?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
Seidkona on

• biscuitbutt81biscuitbutt81 Registered User regular
    First

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    We've got a Discord icon:
    p5k7d0q4dv23.png
    Now the eye can stare at you wherever.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I did the wind elder dragon and that was not particularly fun, at one point I was basically locked into a tiny area because there were so many tornadoes I couldn't move anywhere.

Also it tanked my frame rate so I'm going to need to figure out what to turn off when fighting that guy again.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I still want to say decos becoming rng in return for charms not being rng is still a terrible decision by capcom

Just make then both grindable

I'll die on this hill

Orphane on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I don't know if I am in the beta. I did get my wired controller working and havn't messed with my wireless one since but I did mess around with big picture stuff basically turning extra support off where ever possible

camo_sig.png
  • stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    Beat pink rathian first try, carded twice though it was close.

steam_sig.png
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    hi thread

i am great sword

J3qcnBP.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Anyone interested in firing up Gen this weekend to take care of some lingering tasks before transferring? I still need some hyper parts that can only be farmed from events (Gold/Silver Scales, f'n Rajang Furs).

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Anyone interested in firing up Gen this weekend to take care of some lingering tasks before transferring? I still need some hyper parts that can only be farmed from events (Gold/Silver Scales, f'n Rajang Furs).

!!!

J3qcnBP.png
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Final boss down!

Which immedtiaely capped my HR at 29, so of course i jumped straight into a fist fight with tempered B-52 gooses.

Turns out they're chumps. The only faint i had was self inflicted (My SAED maaaaay have broken a Bazel skull and blown up scales in my face at the same time. Maybe.)

I was really expecting that to be a lot harder?

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    I feel like the One Beetlejuice Short Of Summoning Betelgeuse fight seems a lot harder than it is because, first, Bazelgeuse is basically the most monster-clobbery monster in the game. Spamming explosives all over the place does nasty things to, you know, giant monsters (especially ones as large as, you know, itself). Second, because it's a multi-monster fight, they get significantly reduced health.

I'd like to see damage statistics on that fight because I'm pretty sure you end up only inflicting, like, a third of the total damage.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    True. I think it also helped i had a very good set for the point i'm at in the game (Artillery 3, Focus 3, Non-elemental, Bludgeonneer & Resentment 2 being the highlights, coupled with the fully upgraded Diablos CB). So surprisingly nasty damage output!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I am game.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    I decided to be fiscally irresponsible and rebuy this on PC, where I'll be able to play more regularly. But this time I'm going to try to use weapons I don't often use, instead of ending up in my usual comfort zone of Lance/Charge Blade/SnS.

Trying with Longsword, Swaxe, and Hunting Horn. Longsword and Swaxe are working good. Hunting Horn, holy cow I took way too long to bring down the first freaking Kulu Ya Ku. I just don't get how this weapon... well, anything.

EDIT: Also, I'm getting weird freezes. Like, 95% of the time the game runs smooth as butter, but then I go in against a Pukei and it just... stops entirely for some four or five seconds, then continues. It's dd. Wonder what could be causing it.

Certain effects in the game (e.g. the thunder particles from thunder weapons) cause massive CPU spikes. It's a bug that Capcom has yet to acknowledge AFAIK.

Well, balls. For me it happened when I fought Pukei Pukei, had about three freezes in close proximity, then it ran perfectly well the rest of the fight. But seeing how this was just Pukei in Ancient Forest, I'm really worrying about what is going to happen with, like, Teostra in the volcano.

Steam ID: Right here.
    GH playlist for His MHGU weapon tutorials. They are MHG tutorials with changes and new stuff added at the end:

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiwkAv0zdEk

Well we can all go home now

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Discord channel icon has been updated.

@Vyolynce what time were you thinking for some MHG?

fRAWRst wrote: »
    hi thread

i am great sword

And I am Lance.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    So it turns out that double tempered Bazelgeuse was way easier than I thought, at least with the lightning bow set that I tailor-made for the fight. I wouldn't have known they were tempered if it wasn't for the bombs hitting me for like 80% of my health (and even that I could have almost attributed to gunner defense). The hardest part was my computer almost crashing due to lightning effects. Twice.

Also, firing a piercing shot down the full length of two different monsters while they fight each other is super great.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    When are we gonna get details about save transfers from 3DS to Switch MHXX?

E: or is it out already and I missed it?

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Dac wrote: »

Multiple streams have used it so far. They received early codes.

You connect both systems to an online server using one time use codes.

Then it transfers it for you.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Entaru wrote: »
    Vyolynce what time were you thinking for some MHG?

Just got back from FLGS so any time tonight should be fine.

EDIT: Am in Discord now, will check periodically but have a couple other things to do atm.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Dac wrote: »

if its like xx one

download the app from e shop (its up already)

boot up 3ds app and switch GU game

"link" them using a code

it uploads ur G character to a cloud

use code to download to GU

it has a time limit and use limit, which can be a bit annoying

J3qcnBP.png
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    While World runs fine for the most part, I notice more occasional hitching than any other game I've played. Just ordered an i7-7700, the biggest CPU my current mobo can handle. Might be a bit overpowered for my GTX 980, but with World open I'm looking at 100% CPU load the entire time, 70-90% GPU. Hopefully this helps.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Question, I appear to be at the stage of tempered monsters progression where I need to fight tempered Elders. Do they start leaving tracks in the world now that my rank is unlocked past 50, or how does one get such investigations? My HR 50 unlock assignment for a tempered kirin got me an investigation for tempered kush, but I am hesitant to start popping uses on it in case I need to use it to harvest tracks for new investigations.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Question, I appear to be at the stage of tempered monsters progression where I need to fight tempered Elders. Do they start leaving tracks in the world now that my rank is unlocked past 50, or how does one get such investigations? My HR 50 unlock assignment for a tempered kirin got me an investigation for tempered kush, but I am hesitant to start popping uses on it in case I need to use it to harvest tracks for new investigations.

The intent is to use the HR49 quest to farm tracks, but you could use that tempered kush one to farm tracks or search for SOS Flares.

I'm assuming you're on PC; on console this week there's a 9* event that's just for track farming.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I ran Triple Threat Throwdown like thirty times and surgically avoided all the ones I wanted the most in the tier (evade window/extender, constitution, and grinder, especially). On my very first tempered investigation I get an Attack. My life is a sham.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    the last kirin is in captivity
    the galaxy is at peace
    yay platinum trophy

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I just picked up MH:W for the PC. Anything a complete series newbie should know?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    I just picked up MH:W for the PC. Anything a complete series newbie should know?

The pointy end goes towards the monster.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

*checks hammer*

um

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

*checks hammer*

um
    obviously you need to bust out the whetstone and get sharpening....

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    edited August 2018
    Playing gen again getting ready for some GenU.

Feels good.

Seidkona on
  • CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    I just capped my first HR diablos and I see the set bonus gives non-elemental boost at 4 parts.. are there any other sources aside from decorations? The other skills on it don't look super interesting, but the AR bonus from just that one skill is very tempting.

• webberwebber Registered User regular
    I want to farm the regular behemoth for its cool armor. I have never beaten it though.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Cromarty wrote: »
    I just capped my first HR diablos and I see the set bonus gives non-elemental boost at 4 parts.. are there any other sources aside from decorations? The other skills on it don't look super interesting, but the AR bonus from just that one skill is very tempting.
    there's a black diablos set that is also not very good

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Cromarty wrote: »

There mmmmight be a charm, I'd have to take a look at what I can make.
    :edit: if there is a charm for it, I have not yet met the conditions for it being visible in my crafting list.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

*checks hammer*

um

Last I checked the starting hammer had a pointy end, might be remembering a different one.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy