As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wireless gear

VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
Hey guys, I couch game exclusively and right now I have a Logitech G5 wired mouse, Ducky Shine MK, and an old Sennheiser headset w/mic that I use only with the mic. My TV/gaming PC are about 10' away.

I like my mouse and keyboard in all ways except the need to drape a pair of cables out over the floor. My headset is not great but I use it for the mic only and run audio through speakers (5.1 surround).

If I wanted to upgrade to a wireless setup within a reasonable budget of say $100cdn per piece could I get anything worth having? Would they work ok? The headset speakers will only be used for the occasional game of CSGO as I find I can't hear footsteps when played over the speaker set.

My thoughts
Keyboard: G613

Mouse: G603

Headset: ??? Maybe forego wireless for this one and get something like the Logitech "G-Pro"? I'm sure other brands are very competitive in this field. I have a set of Sennheiser 598's that I could maybe repurpose if I can sort out the microphone aspect?

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    If you want to use the Sennheisers, I recommend a Modmic for the microphone.

If you want to go with a completely different piece for wireless, the Corsair headsets are fairly well received. I believe Steelseries may have a wireless entrant also, but I haven't looked in a while.

You may want to check out Corsair's K63 wireless lapboard as well.

• Options
    I came across that modmic shortly after posting and it seemed good, having it be a top suggestion of yours made it much more appealing. I tried out playing with my Sennheiser's and it's great so I decided instead of gambling on a set of HyperX Cloud 2's, Corsair HS60's, etc that I would keep the sound quality I know and ordered the ModMic4.0 last night.

Now I just need to consider the wireless KBM combo

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I've been using a Modmic at home for about 4 or 5 years now.
    hhg3t489s7ul.jpg

Mugsley on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Knowwaddamsayin'?

• Options
    My dudes you guys got any suggestions for cable management? The 4.0 only came with the little clips which leaves a bit of an ugly bundle across my living room floor. I was thinking of either something like heat shrink or preferably Paracord sleeving type setup. Ideas??

• Options
    I'm a heathen, so I use about 6-10 black zip ties, spaced along the length of the cord.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm a heathen, so I use about 6-10 black zip ties, spaced along the length of the cord.

Zip ties and clippers go a long way. I'll run wires with track moulding on the wall sometimes too.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I ended up ordering MDPC-X medium sleeve from a vendor in the US. It seems like it has enough expansion to pop over the connectors on the end of the cable but I think it will end up not being snug when it's done. I'll probably heatshrink both ends. If it works I might try and do the same to make pretty the keyboard and mouse wires while I wait for budget to get a new keyboard/mouse.

I've been using the zip tie method and it works well enough but the wife and I agreed that sitting in the middle of a busy room in our house we wanted the 4x 15ft long cables to be a little tidier when they are run out over the floor.

• Options
    Next step, run them up the wall and across the ceiling and down to the couch. Just lean your head to the left and the cables aren't even in your field of view!

• Options
    fnaalp1plumb.jpg

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    gone fishin'

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Or get one of those spinny things in the ceiling they use at car washes.