As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: Armada] Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »
    I haven't touched this game or bought models for it since the Interdictor /liberty wave.

I will probably buy that model just to have it. So good.

I think this is a big reason why FFG is going ahead with it. There will be a large subset of people who buy it on clearance, and given that their cost is probably $100-150, there is plenty of room to discount while still making money.

Or, you know, cushioning a tariff or something.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Two Hundred? Is there like...other stuff in there? Like campaign materials or something?

Also "Too Hundo" is going to be my next star wars character name.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Two Hundred? Is there like...other stuff in there? Like campaign materials or something?

Also "Too Hundo" is going to be my next star wars character name.

Jimmy Scrambles!

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    The mini's on display. The name Prototype is more fitting than I realized.

Here's from the Illinois Armada facebook group.

CcYxhroh.jpg

LgcvwLah.jpg

I1YtiSBh.jpg

8xVYpVzh.jpg

OCiPxX5h.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I think I'm in love.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I wonder how the Super Star Destroyer is going to work with Admiral Motti. Still only 3 extra hull, maybe 4-5 extra hull?

oh h*ck
    edited August 2018
    The Executor's article is up.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/3/executor-arrives/

The class is called "Huge" ships. The cheapest you can field is 220 points. The model is over 2 feet long.

Huge ships get:
    6 arcs (aux left and aux right are the new ones)
    3 attacks (instead of 2)
    the ability to pass instead of activating (though they must still activate)
    Command dials also give you the corresponding command token

... Note the article is pretty full of references to other huge ships ...

So the movement profile is WILD. You MUST spend a dial to turn.

swm20_ship-card.png

The commander's no slouch either.

swm20_upgrade_card.png

There's a token in the pool that I don't recognize...

swm20_spread.png

Edit: From the card spread, fuzzy details:

Admiral Piett is the other commander
    Emperor Palpatine appears to get an officer card in addition to his commander card.
    Krennick is crew on here (my guess is he is involved in the prototype somehow)
    One of the ship cards is called the Executor 1 -- and it has a completely full upgrade bar, but only 13 hull (as opposed to the prototype's 22)

Athenor on
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Oh - you're referring to the blue one with the circly-arrow symbol on it? Yeah, no idea what that one is.

Also, I love that it can't turn without huge effort. :D

Seems like you'd want to just bring it on to the board facing a certain way at speed 1, and just plow straight ahead for 6 rounds.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Really curious what the other huge ships are going to be.
    Pretty sure that the Dreadnought (the one with big guns) is a given if they bring First Order/Resistance into Armada, but even given the scale of the Huge ships, the Superiority is probably still too large for a table unless they scale it down substantially.

I don't think the Rebels ever really had any huge ships. Maybe a salvaged Super Star Destroyer or something in the NJO timeline?

edited August 2018
    see317 wrote: »
    Pretty sure that the Dreadnought (the one with big guns) is a given if they bring First Order/Resistance into Armada, but even given the scale of the Huge ships, the Superiority is probably still too large for a table unless they scale it down substantially.

I don't think the Rebels ever really had any huge ships. Maybe a salvaged Super Star Destroyer or something in the NJO timeline?

They've also got the Viscount-class Star Defenders: https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Viscount-class_Star_Defender

Elvenshae on
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

They've also got the Viscount-class Star Defenders: https://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Viscount_(Viscount-class)

Wasn't the viscount introduced by the Hasbro/ WotC version of Armada, Specifically so that the rebels had an equivalent ship?

150639.jpg

Nope!

It's actually from the New Jedi Order books.

(I did have to look that part up.)

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I am in the business of saving lives.
    that's pretty significant discount. I'm supporting my local store, though - they give discounts on pre-orders and special orders (not to that extent), and if I play my cards right I might get an additional percentage off for supporting them, which may be the same.

• AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Oh - you're referring to the blue one with the circly-arrow symbol on it? Yeah, no idea what that one is.

I think that's the token to say "I'm passing this turn". It can only do it once per round, so I think you'd need some sort of token to remember if you've done it that round or not.

Excellent point, AC!

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    that's pretty significant discount. I'm supporting my local store, though - they give discounts on pre-orders and special orders (not to that extent), and if I play my cards right I might get an additional percentage off for supporting them, which may be the same.

If I had a FLGS I would do the same. All the stores around here are not even close to friendly and really more outright hostile.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

If I had a FLGS I would do the same. All the stores around here are not even close to friendly and really more outright hostile.

I'm sorry to hear that. :( I'm very lucky that I have a good, supporting local store. I hope that never changes.

Well, shit. Do I have an excuse not to pick up Armada now?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Fuselage wrote: »

You hate big ships, squadrons and only like individual spacecraft.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »

If I honestly played the game I'd be most interested in the corvettes and squadrons, which I'm unsure if that's a really supported part of the game unless I play with other people.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular

If I honestly played the game I'd be most interested in the corvettes and squadrons, which I'm unsure if that's a really supported part of the game unless I play with other people.

I had my most fun games in Armada with Corvette spam. Lodging my ships in the rear arcs of star destroyers was always fun, you can do ridiculous manoeuvres where you jump across the table and do a 120 degree turn, moving so that bigger ships can't catch you in their whole 6 turns.

(Then you try the same in Corellian Conflict so your opponents build a fleet of interdictors and your corvettes just drift aimlessly in front of all their guns, bugger)

Corvettes and squadrons is a bit of a difficult pairing. Corvettes can't command squads well, so you'll mostly be relying on Rogue squadrons, which means buying a lot of Rogues and Villains packs. I used 6 squads of YT-2400s with my corvettes, but that's expensive in dollars, and will lose to a fleet that is truly invested in squadrons.

I only recently played an intro 4 rounds with @Elvenshae via Vassel and had a blast. As long as you have fun just playing, then it doesn't matter what you play. At least that is my thought.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I pulled the trigger. I almost bought a Rogue and Villain pack but I'd better see how it plays first.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    So where are the special rules for a single A-wing taking it down?

MrBody wrote: »

In twilight imperium.

Also, folks, I'm pretty happy to run Vassal games of this with just about anyone. :D

I can also do Tabletop Sim, which has a nice implementation, but I'm a little less familiar with the general TTS interface. :)

MrBody wrote: »

Obviously a Green Squadron A-Wing who lucked out and got a black-die critical through on the SSD. It was already suffering from Crew Panic, Ruptured Engine, and some Structural Damage. The A-wing lucked out and drew Damaged Controls. The player decided during the ship phase to take a point of damage from Crew Panic to let him use the Concentrate Fire command, and forgot that the SSD was moving at speed 2; that meant that after he moved, the Ruptured Engine hit it for a point of damage, and since it ran into the Death Star obstacle, it took another point, and then the Damaged Controls added yet another point.

Blamsplosion.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Is there anything more satisfying than being able to explain movie scenes with tabletop rules?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited August 2018

I had my most fun games in Armada with Corvette spam. Lodging my ships in the rear arcs of star destroyers was always fun, you can do ridiculous manoeuvres where you jump across the table and do a 120 degree turn, moving so that bigger ships can't catch you in their whole 6 turns.

(Then you try the same in Corellian Conflict so your opponents build a fleet of interdictors and your corvettes just drift aimlessly in front of all their guns, bugger)

Corvettes and squadrons is a bit of a difficult pairing. Corvettes can't command squads well, so you'll mostly be relying on Rogue squadrons, which means buying a lot of Rogues and Villains packs. I used 6 squads of YT-2400s with my corvettes, but that's expensive in dollars, and will lose to a fleet that is truly invested in squadrons.

Picked up Imperial Squadron 2, Rogues and Villains, Imperial Raider small ship, and Assault Carrier flotilla.

Would've grabbed the Light Carrier if anywhere had it in stock, and Squadrons 1.

Edit: Now I'll have to look up painting/paint guides.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Anyone want to play a game (intro or otherwise) tonight?

Say, 2030 / 2100ish Eastern time?

So I've bought many of these models, but I haven't actually played a game yet. Is there a site somewhere that talks about some of the basic tactics and gives some example lists?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Same here. My buddy found an errant Imperial Light Carrier in a different state during his travels and is sending it my way. I would like to try an introductory game out at some point, but figuring out vassal and getting schedules to match is tougher.

So far I have...
    Core Set
    Rogues and Villains x2 (#2 on order)
    Imperial Squadrons #2
    Imperial Raider
    Imperial Assault Carrier flotilla
    Imperial Light Carrier (on order)
    Correllian Conflict (on order)

Even though it's a miniatures wargame and isn't meant for much RPing (and I never did this with my huge X-Wing collection), I'm building my force as if it's an outer rim militia or lightly supplied garrison.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    So I've bought many of these models, but I haven't actually played a game yet. Is there a site somewhere that talks about some of the basic tactics and gives some example lists?

http://cannotgetyourshipout.blogspot.com

oh h*ck
    Also, I should have some time available on Wednesday night this week to run a game, @italianranma if you'd like to learn.

Anyone else is welcome, as well.

Start time of 2030ish-2100ish Eastern, Vassal or Tabletop Sim.

can you send me a how-to set up link? I don't know for sure what my schedule is this week, but I'll try to take you up on that offer.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited August 2018
    @italianranma

When reading that, make sure you skip ahead to the "Installing the graphics pack" part before you add the module to Vassal. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DienJ3_Qx1c&list=PLpEV1z8WCSNa4jWGPnJKUxLkdsTa-suiP

Tutorial 5 in the above series.

Elvenshae on
    @italianranma @Fuselage @38thDoe

Just a friendly ping to see if anyone thought they might be able to hop on tonight.