As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] Dungeon World - Fortress of the Ur-Mage: All is Lost (Ur-Mage Victory)

MatevMatev Cero MiedoRegistered User regular
edited November 2018 in Critical Failures
The Fortress of the Ur-Mage

Castle_Grayskull_Large_Classic_Head.jpg?1399017563

It is said that the gods tasked Death with keeping the secrets of magic locked behind their Black Gates. So the fallen, mortal races remained blind to the ways of magic, until one man challenged and defeated Death in a battle of wits.

In victory, he claimed Death’s wand and became the first mortal to perceive the mysteries of the mystical arts, only to be driven mad by the revelations. Half-remembered legends tell of his sundering of the world and the construction of a dread Fortress.

The Ur-Mage opens the doors his Fortress but once each decade, allowing heroes and demi-gods of the realm to enter and challenge him, as he did Death so long ago. Legend has it that a great prize awaits in the Fortress, the Wand of Death itself, and a mortal bearing the wand could command the dead, shatter the planes, and slay gods.

Soon, the gates will open….

What’s all this then?

The Fortress of the Ur-Mage is a Dungeon World Tournament Gauntlet Dungeon designed for 4 parties (Yes, you read that right, parties, not heroes) of 3rd level. Parties will be racing to complete objectives and reach the center of the fortress to claim the Wand of Death from the Ur-Mage. This journey will not be easy and will likely have many demises before it’s outcome. If this does not deter you, dear Crusader, then read on.

How do I Dungeon World?

Dungeon World is the big bad PbtA take on the D&D milieu. There is an SRD here to draw character creation resources from.

What’s a PbtA?
Powered by the Apocalypse is a narrative chaos generator one can use for a variety of roleplaying games in conjunction with various other game gimmicks. It’s core mechanic relies on rolling 2d6+ a relevant stat. Results vary, but generally on a 10+, you succeed at your action, sometimes with extra benefit. On a 7-9, you succeed, but pay some form of cost either narratively or mechanically. On a 6-, you don’t succeed, and the GM (Hi!) gets to make your life harder. For further reading, I suggest seminal works Apocalypse World, Dungeon World and Monsterhearts, though there are literally hundreds of PbtA games that are out in the wild at this point.

4 Parties? Are you insane?
Quite probably, huffing residuum dust and basilisk bile tends to leave one feeling rather cotton-headed. This dungeon is specifically designed for head to head play, with teams of Crusaders racing to the finish and working with and against each other. It’ll be like Wacky Races, but with Barbarians and Halflings.

Parties are to be formed prior to the start of the delve. Parties will consist of 5 level three (3) members. (Composition is your choice) for a total of 20 initial dungeoneers. Reserves will be encouraged in case a player will need to or wishes to drop out. In the likely event your Crusader meets an untimely end in the fortress, you are encouraged to create back ups. Each new Crusader introduced to the initial dungeon after the 1st 20 will incur a 25 point penalty for their party. (See Scoring below). A TPK (Total Party Kill AKA the entire party dies in 1 encounter) cannot be recovered from. A new party may be formed at that time to try and catch up.

There will also be opportunities for the lost and damned who are not in the game at the time of start to still affect play (See Shaping the World below)

Scoring? What’s that about?
As this is a tournament, you will be scored based on various objectives, including portion of the fortress explored, treasure gathered, key relics in hand, and quests completed. The Wand of Death will be awarded to the Party that slays the Ur-Mage. If multiple parties slay the Ur-Mage, the surviving Party with the highest score will win the Wand. (See Shaping the World Below)

Shaping the World? This some kind of hippy nonsense?
Kind of, but it’s cool. Dungeon World and other PbtA games encourage consensual narrative and world building, rather than sole custody of the lore resting on the GM’s shoulders. Players (and sometimes the audience) will be encouraged to share details about the world and establish events and characters during play. Don’t be shy, feel free to go all out.

When signing up to play, proclaim one thing to be true about the Sundered World (Subject to GM massaging) in addition what traits your character shows.

ADDITIONALLY

You, yes, you dear Crusaders (And shades in the audience), have power! You are to be charged with helping create several parts of the Fortress! Consider yourselves to be honored and privileged. Following the below prompts, when you sign up (Or so long you aren’t in the game and the room hasn’t been encountered yet), PM me with at least 3 of your suggestions for the rooms. The best ones will be chosen for use against your Rival Crusaders in the Fortress. Those so selected will start 1 level higher (Level 4). Audience member suggestions that are selected will be granted a boon to bestow at a later time on a Crusader of their choosing.

Prompts:

Great Hall of the _____

Protected by _____

To pass, one must ____

Vault of the _____

Statue of _____

Trapped with _____

Passage of the _____

Gauntlet of the _____

Crypt of the _____

Are there post requirements?
Excellent question. In this case, I expect parties to keep the game moving. You will have a somewhat long clock, but there will be a clock. If, at the Stroke of Midnight on November 1st, 2018 none have completed the dungeon, a spectral cavalry will ride through the fortress and slay all within. To that end, you are encouraged to post at least once a day. If 2 days pass without any interaction from an entire party, a Grim Portent will come to pass for everyone in the dungeon.

Dungeon World does not have initiative par se, so combat is loose, but I would encourage a party member post no more than 12 hours after the previous member (time zones permitting) to keep things moving.

Otherwise, feel free to sign up with blood down at the Wet Whistle, the tavern in the Last Village before the End of the World….

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45C81eidtek

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
Hail Hydra
Matev on

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The Hereby Undersigned have forfeited their lives and lands. In return, they have been given the supplies and transport to the End of the World, where they will attempt to stead the Fortress of the Ur-Mage and claim the Wand of Death.

Looking For Group
    Cheeseliker

Party 1 - The Grim Company
    1. saber_of_black - Selgith Vorgh, Human Paladin; Vermillion Catamount, Elf Bard; Sister Sorla, Human Cleric
    2. LaserFowl - Rat, Halfling Thief
    3. Rezari - Nimue, Elf Druid
    4. salmonmax - Kestrel, Human Arcane Duelist
    5. Nips - The Argent Specter, Human Paladin

Party 2 - The Ramrods
    2. Roshyyk - Squibble, Halfling Thief; Krolax, Human Barbarian
    3. Zeframsee - Arngrim the Black Swordsman, Human Fighter
    4. joshgotro - Halwyr the Good, Elf Wizard; Night Fox, Halfling Thief
    5. AustinP0027 - Durgon, Dwarf Cleric
    6. Virgil_Leads_You - Ligriv, Halfling Druid; Captain Sputlyre, Human Wizard.

Party 3 - The Jolly Rogers
    2. Ringo - Alesire, Elf Mage
    3. Auralynx - Rhanfydd, Elf Spellthief
    4. Egos - Ravas, Human Fighter
    5. Endless_Serpents - Helter, Skeleton (!!) Thief
    6. Fuselage - Dunwick, Human Bard

Party 4

Reserves
    Chaoshat - Gimlet, Halfling Thief

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Clarifications

Please include the GM on game-related private communications, message boards, etc.

Are all groups entering the same dungeon? Or are each of the groups entering their own independent dungeon?

CLARIFICATION DENIED

The Sundered World

“Long ago, after claiming the Wand of Death, the Ur-Mage carved out an Empire among the mortals, ruling them harshly. It took many years and lost lives but finally, the elves were the first to wrest the secrets of magical might from the Ur-Mage, using their new knowledge to drive him away from their lands. Their mastery of the Arcane has given elves their long lives, and many unique talents. This also makes their souls highly sought after by Death.”
    -The Book of Ascendance

”Over the centuries, the Ur-Mage has taken on powerful individuals as apprentices. While many do not survive his tutelage, those that do go on to become among the mightiest of their age.

Long ago, one of the apprentices was cast out, lacking some ephemeral quality the Ur-Mage seems. Broken but unbowed, this ex-acolyte was taken in by a monastery. In time, he rose in stature, founding a Holy Order dedicated to the defeat of the Ur-Mage. To this day, the Monks of Antimagos continue their long war, searching for the tools to cast down the wizard and free the world.”

-Excerpt from the Codex Ordos Vol. VI

”The Fortress [of the Ur-Mage] is infamously located at the End of the World, but this is not always true. Once a season, a large storm sweeps a seemingly random part of the world, with Fortress of Ur-Mage appearing in a crash of lightning. Magic becomes more potent [in the area], and the bodies of the dead walk, attempting to assault the fortress. Every time they are driven back. As mysteriously as it comes, the Fortress vanishes back into another powerful storm after weeks over even months in place. One day, Death will not be denied.”
    -From Roclor’s Phenomena of the Sundered World.

”While many know of green-skinned humanoid forest goblins, there are many other types of goblin as well. The fly-headed browns of the dusty plains, the grey ant-headed goblins that lurk in the ashes of cinder cones, as well as the blue pike-headed reef goblins that raid the coasts. These and many more goblin types are early experiments of the elements, trying to breath life into the world like the gods.”
    -Excerpt from Branthak’s Book of Beasts Vol. VII

”The gods of this world's pantheon have an open invitation for the Ur-Mage to ascend to godhood, as that would allow them more direct control over him, and would provide a one-way ticket to being locked away in the Vault of Heaven. He always turns this down, preferring to torture and control their servants and worshippers. Once in an era, the gods scheme a way to trick the Ur-Mage into ascending, but he has thwarted all their past attempts.”
    -The Celestial Scriptures, from the Book of the High

”It is a little known fact, truly only understood by those few that control the stolen magics of the world, that the disappearances of the Fortress are not random nor without intent. In fact, the Fortress is capable of traveling between realities, and it is through this ability that the Ur-Mage is believed to draw even further power. Those conquered realms beyond our own add fuel and energy to the Ur-Mage's magical hoard. As no one has ever exited the Fortress alive, the only true hints of this world-hopping are the strange landscapes that it arrives with in tow, and the very rare creatures caught in its periphery during a planar transition.”
    -Inscribed on a tablet found in the Dark Chest of Wonders

”When Death was undone, a black spot appeared upon the face of the sun. Barely perceptible in the early days, as the ages stretch on, the 'Dead Spot' grows. It now consumes about a quarter of the celestial disc. The elders remember the great forests being greener in their childhoods and farmlands producing in abundance. Winters seem to stretch these days and the dawn struggles another hour or so before cresting the horizon.”
    -From the tome This Sundered World

"A great many schools of magic exist in the Sundered World. Among the more prestigious rank the Guild of the Southern Wind. These wizards emulate the wind: unseen and quick. Light and untouchable. It is said they rule the city of Vero unseen save for the Adjudicators which patrol the streets, dispensing justice like hurricanes and gone as quickly. The only tax they collect that which they can take without being noticed, which is quite a bit."
    -Foven's Treatise on the Magicks of the World.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Sign me up.
    blood

The Good Wizard Halwyr checks the margins in his spellbook. The thick tome floats in the air, staying within eye shot of Halwyr. His green robes and matching pointed hat seem to have a mind of their own. The hat never completely leaves his head but assuredly it's not staying still.

"Halwyr the Good here."

The tome returns to it's resting place attached to Halwyr's belt and a flash of light comes from the top of his staff, "Shall we put this evil to bed?"

joshgotro on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Bloooooood.

I'll return to shape the world and form some rooms when I've had time to ruminate.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I’ll sign up. I will play whatever some group needs for a fill in so won’t pick a class just yet (mostly just because there are aspects of all of them I like)

blood

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    saber_of_blacksaber_of_black Registered User regular
    Count me in! I also have four other crusaders that will be signing up in the next day or so, if we could be on the same team.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Ligriv cuts their thumb allowing their blood to collect at the signup desk.
    I hear the Fortress appeared within the weeping plains, at the world's edge this month?
    I figure this may be my last shot to go back and finish my business.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    LaserFowlLaserFowl Registered User regular
    I am interested! A friend turned me on -- I think it's Saber_of_Black haha.

Oh, so much blood everywhere.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    I would absolutely love to sign up for this!

I'm specifically interested in trying that free Grave Knight playbook (because Diablo 2) but I'm down to try any core class too!

BLOOD

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I’ll sign up in blood while the bloodletting is good . Probably will draw up a good old fashioned fighter , if there aren’t too many.

Also have to think on the one true thing about the world

• Options
    RezariRezari Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I'm interested, I'm also one of Saber_of_Black's friends

BLOOD

Rezari on
  • Options
    Just about halfway there, don't be shy, jump in!

Gotten a couple interesting submissions for the dungeon already, but definitely not as many as people in the game so far, looking forward to seeing more.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    "The name's Ligriv, but you can call me Lig",
    the halfling druid waves at potential crusader party members.

"I'm sturdy and can help keep folk alive and breathing in there."
    Ligriv slaps their Shillelagh onto their wooden shield, as tree bark gathers around their skin.

"I have my tricks for this fortress, I just need a interested party....
    I'm not much of a talker, but I guarantee I'm the best cook you'll find."

@Matev
    Did you want us to pm you our character, and if so what format / info did you want.
    pdf / google doc link?

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Google Doc Link would be fine. I'm trusting you to keep track of your character's whatnots. Otherwise, if you've got a preferred picture, that would be useful for the tracking map I'm working on.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    SalmonMaxSalmonMax Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I shall join! I am also one of Saber_of_Black's merry throng.

Any specific info we need to generate characters other than the standard SRD material? In particular, there's a line in your post that implies we're starting at 3rd level (any bonus from submitting dungeon content notwithstanding). Is that the case?

Oh yes, nearly forgot:
    There Will Be Blood.

SalmonMax on
  • Options
    That is correct, your crusaders should start at 3rd level. Otherwise, I can’t think of any other deviations from standard.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Might I also add, getting some excellent suggestions from folks so far, and everyone's going all in on the prompts! I was expecting to have 2 or 3 from each to fit together. Instead I'm going to be doing some serious testing over the next couple days of out what I see so far to see what fits.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    As I work through choices more, I'm leaning towards building a cleric.

So if anyone was going to build a cleric (from the folks not in the preset group), speak up so I can look at something else.

• Options
    Team 5 clerics might be pretty survivable, depending on the dungeon.
    Gonna need a rogue probably, but you can't have too many clerics.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Oh, one other thing about character creation, as you are experienced Crusaders, you come to stead the Fortress prepared. Your initial crusader has one of the following magical items: (All found in the magic items section)

- The Cloak of Stars
    - The Coin of Remembering
    - The Echo
    - The Folly Held Aloft
    - The Tricksy Rope
    - The Violation Glaive

Choose well, for the choices are yours, and yours alone.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Lig walks up to the bar and sits, seemingly savoring some invisible imaginary liquor held within an empty bottle.
    Lig isn't the barkeep's favorite customer.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Presenting Durgon the Cleric.

• Options
    @Matev

Should I convert my playbook to something closer to what @AustinP0027 just posted?

• Options
    You can, but it isn’t necessary. Make sure you’ve got both your advanced moves, as well as your item.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Good to go then.

• Options
    Wait both advanced moves?

Is it one move at lvl 2 and one at 3? I was reading it as one move every level above 2 (meaning, one for going 2 to 3).

• Options
    edited August 2018
    You get a level 2 skill, and a level 3 skill.

Also, Durgon, looks like they have two floating +1 to stats, they can put somewhere.
    Increase your level by 1, and choose a new advanced move from your class...
    Choose one of your stats and increase it by 1 (this may change your modifier). Changing your Constitution increases your maximum and current HP. Ability scores can’t go higher than 18.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Thanks for the catch. The SRD website doesn't have a write up on leveling up so missed that part. (Edit: yeah, it does, I just missed it completely somehow)

Advanced move added and stats leveled.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Good looking folks. Feel free to @ in anyone you think might be interested in giving this a go. 4 teams or not, i’m planning to get this murder train rolling at the end of this week if not sooner.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    My posts will be drenched in the BLOOD of the unworthy!

I haven't looked, but is the Mage a participating playbook?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    If it’s a non-srd playbook, link me to it and i’ll See if it’ll be a good fit with everything else. (Probably will be, but don’t want to miss something and have break everything later)

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Here's a pdf link: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://sotipro.com/DW_PDF/Dungeon_World_Alternative_Playbooks.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjFsIj3mpDdAhWJxFQKHZYDDWYQFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw0Bhtzhy1C8s8TYmt4vmwdg

The Mage is super freeform in what it can do, but has interesting limits to your power depending on your choices

Gonna look over those other playbooks too

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    The fact that your powers are tied to your focus definitely introduces neat opportunities that just being a wizard doesn’t. The spellcasting is close to the Pigsmoke vein, which I like because magic is never without consequence. Consider it approved.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    In case any of the folk from SE++ gloss is interested in joining a Dungeon World Play by Post Tournament,
    to slay an ancient wizard in an ancient dungeon
    (designed by rival players and the amazing host Matev!)

@NeoToma
    @Duke 2.0
    @Rawkking Goodguy
    @Marshmallow
    @Cheeseliker
    @Tommy2Hands
    @Stilts

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    The Priest class from that link seems pretty interesting, but it feels like it might be metagaming a little bit too much for this adventure (e.g. choosing a Deity who's enemy is undead).

• Options
    edited August 2018
    Oh, credit where it’s due, any design on my part is working your rooms into the dungeon. This is an adventure crafted by the most excellent purveyors of dark fantasy, Dr. Davy Jones and Sersa Victory. I’m merely channeling what they’ve written to give everyone a good time!

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    The Priest class from that link seems pretty interesting, but it feels like it might be metagaming a little bit too much for this adventure (e.g. choosing a Deity who's enemy is undead).

I’ll say not necessarily, but it’s up to you what hallelujah hayride you hitch your wagon to.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Nah, I'll stick it out with Cleric.

I worry I might specialize a little too much and throw undead into that making it painful when I see anything else. Just my general character creation indecision coming out.

• Options
    Nah, I'll stick it out with Cleric.

I worry I might specialize a little too much and throw undead into that making it painful when I see anything else. Just my general character creation indecision coming out.

Oh, I wouldn’t worry. It’s entirely possible as well as likely you’ll run through a couple characters before the end of this, so you can explore a few different ideas and set ups.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Are you insinuating that my Cleric won't be able to keep the party alive! For Shame!

It may be likely, but Dwarves don't give up that easily!