As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2018 BYOC Mega Thread

AsmerAsmer [E] East/West PC Sec ManagerSan Francisco, CARegistered User regular
Hello all!

PAX is approaching quickly and its BYOC time once again! The better late than never edition.

I'm Asmer, I've been running BYOC Checkin/Security at West for the last few years, and I imagine most of you folks who are return BYOC attendees have met me in passing at least.

Anyway, on to what’s important, BYOC GROUP SEATING!

Since we're running a bit further behind than most years due to some uncertainty in the room, and my crazy work schedule, but I know everyone’s chomping at the bit, so let’s get this going! The deal is pretty much the same as last year. Check out the details below and get those requests in ASAP! Last year we had a full house and we unfortunately had to split up some (many) groups that did not pre-register, so I highly advise that if you have a group to send in a request. If you don't my Enforcers and I will do our best, but there are only so many seats!

I also want to point out that we will again have the PC Mod showcase which sits right inside the main BYOC entrance, so if you have an awesome rig that you think will make people crowd around and snap pictures of, send me some pictures (OF YOUR RIG) and if we fall in love (or just lust) we will grant you one of these epic spots.

Group Seating Details:
GROUP SEATING OPEN DATE: TODAY!
GROUP SEATING CLOSE DATE: 8/27/2018!

Group Seating Requirements:
• Your party is considered a group if you have SIX or more people.
• Groups must pre-register seating assignments prior to PAX, or else seats will be based on first come first serve availability.
• Requests are taken on a first come, first serve basis.
• Passes for ALL 4 days of PAX! (recommended to maximize fun, but not a hard requirement)
• If you have multiple BYOC badges, those count as seats (group members) so if you have 6 BYOC passes in your "group" (regardless the number of physical bodies) you qualify for group seating.

To request group seating, use the seating chart below to choose your seats and email pax_pc at paxsite dot com (and please cc: paxasmer@gmail.com )

PLEASE NOTE: We swapped the numbering again this year (as we did last year), so please double check those seat numbers before you just resend a past year's request email without looking at the chart!

Please include the following information when requesting:
  • Group Name
  • Number of People (include handles too)
  • Desired Location

SEATING CHART LIVE VIEW

[E] Asmer, PC Security Manager (East/West)

SLjJ1Jb.png

• AtlantienAtlantien Registered User regular
    Asmer - Will you be updating this post with what has already been reserved?

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    Anyone looking to join a group? hmu

• AsmerAsmer [E] East/West PC Sec Manager San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    @Atlantien Just click the LIVE VIEW link, the seating chart will update as people send me emails.

SLjJ1Jb.png
  • VerciauVerciau Registered User new member
    Any chance a list of BYOC events is up somewhere? Curious what tournaments we are having . Would be nice to get those games downloaded ahead of the time too.

• rachaelmikarachaelmika Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Super looking forward to this!

zerzhul on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    reminder that we don't permit posting for buy/sell/trade of badges on these forums

• AsmerAsmer [E] East/West PC Sec Manager San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Verciau wrote: »
    Any chance a list of BYOC events is up somewhere? Curious what tournaments we are having . Would be nice to get those games downloaded ahead of the time too.

Darc is still working on the final list, not sure if he plans on getting it posted anywhere before hand!

SLjJ1Jb.png
  • PusheenPusheen Registered User new member
    This is my first year doing BYOC and I couldn’t be more excited! Is there a mega FAQ or something somewhere for BYOC newbies? Also, ordered the BYOC after the badge re-release and haven’t received them yet. Fingers crossed pax_questions@paxsite.com can help.

• sizzlersamsizzlersam (Retired) [E] PC Room Network Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I had not received my second wave of BYOC. I emailed paxquestions@ and got the following. I assume it applies to everyone but maybe it was just some.

“As advised by our Show Team, there was an error on our end that’s why the 2nd set of BYOC ticket was not sent in the mail. We sincerely apologize about this.”

They told me the BYOC passes will be at will call.

sizzlersam on
    46Eamp0.png
  • hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    Pusheen wrote: »
    This is my first year doing BYOC and I couldn’t be more excited! Is there a mega FAQ or something somewhere for BYOC newbies? Also, ordered the BYOC after the badge re-release and haven’t received them yet. Fingers crossed pax_questions@paxsite.com can help.

If it's similar to years past, you will get an e-mail outlining all the details sometime this week.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • PusheenPusheen Registered User new member
    sizzlersam wrote: »
    I had not received my second wave of BYOC. I emailed paxquestions@ and got the following. I assume it applies to everyone but maybe it was just some.

“As advised by our Show Team, there was an error on our end that’s why the 2nd set of BYOC ticket was not sent in the mail. We sincerely apologize about this.”

They told me the BYOC passes will be at will call.

Thanks so much! They responded to me with the same information, too. Good to know I'm not alone and we'll all get our BYOC passes.

If it's similar to years past, you will get an e-mail outlining all the details sometime this week.

Thanks! Now I can transition from anxiety and excitement to just excitement.

Last call for BYOC Group Seating! All requests MUST be in before midnight tonight.

Note that this does not apply to preregistration information, but that should be submitted asap!

SLjJ1Jb.png
  • celycely Registered User regular

Here's a FAQ from 2013 that might be helpful to you: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/26479216#Comment_26479216

rqUHgCM.png
  • japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    I was having trouble finding the more recent BYOC FAQ or thread that mentioned relaxing of some rules, specifically that 1) chairs are okay in the annex as long as they aren't obnoxious and block the isle and 2) You can have larger monitors as long as it fits in the 30" space and/or you have two BYOC spaces.

Can anyone confirm this?

7jIDTca.png
    japerry wrote: »
    I was having trouble finding the more recent BYOC FAQ or thread that mentioned relaxing of some rules, specifically that 1) chairs are okay in the annex as long as they aren't obnoxious and block the isle and 2) You can have larger monitors as long as it fits in the 30" space and/or you have two BYOC spaces.

Can anyone confirm this?

If you have a large monitor you need to have two badges, and make sure that you register both badges when you check in (so we can reserve the two seats for you)

Seats are fine as long as they aren't obnoxious or blocking the aisle, and we have the right to make the call on that and ask you to get rid of it if it proves an issue.

SLjJ1Jb.png
    The BYOC Mailer should go out soon, as well.

SLjJ1Jb.png
  • japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    Cool, I already have the two seats pre-registered back-to-back so we should be good.

7jIDTca.png
  • FreAkFreAk Milton, WaRegistered User regular
    Asmer wrote: »

Can anyone confirm this?

If you have a large monitor you need to have two badges, and make sure that you register both badges when you check in (so we can reserve the two seats for you)

Seats are fine as long as they aren't obnoxious or blocking the aisle, and we have the right to make the call on that and ask you to get rid of it if it proves an issue.

Well, I think I'm hosed. I have a 34" monitor, there appears to be no additional BYOC badges available through any means. I know one of the people in my group has a laptop, would it be alright if he is cool with the 4" overhang?

AMG Productive member of society again!
  • fivestar68fivestar68 Auburn,WaRegistered User new member
    Get ready for The 12th PC being Showcased. I believe this is the only sports themed PC build out there. Good times for EVERYONE this year! GO HAWKS!!!!
    https://youtu.be/z8kTVYc0TxI

• hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    FreAk wrote: »
    Asmer wrote: »

Can anyone confirm this?

Well, I think I'm hosed. I have a 34" monitor, there appears to be no additional BYOC badges available through any means. I know one of the people in my group has a laptop, would it be alright if he is cool with the 4" overhang?

As long as the people in your group are cool with it, you'll be fine. The rule is only there to prevent you from encroaching on the space of people you aren't associated with.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    FreAk wrote: »
    I have a 34" monitor, there appears to be no additional BYOC badges available through any means. I know one of the people in my group has a laptop, would it be alright if he is cool with the 4" overhang?

I always bring a laptop, and I’m cool with my neighbor having a bit of overhang. But, that neighbor is my SO. I would have to say just ask that person. Because the spaces aren’t that big, and after you have everything set up it could be tight. I also have to say that we have opted to add a third seat because it is a tight space.

• DiabolicFurbyDiabolicFurby Registered User new member
    My SO and I were wondering if it is worth getting a seat between us for extra elbow room. The link to buy BYOC tickets is still up and appears to be accepting new purchases of tickets. @Asmer, are there still BYOC spots available or is it too late?

• vargonianvargonian Registered User new member
    I just bought my BYOC pass today (Thursday), the day before PAX West. The only delivery option was Standard Mail, so I'm unlikely to get my pass in time. Is there a way I can use my receipt for entry into the BYOC area?

• sizzlersamsizzlersam (Retired) [E] PC Room Network Registered User regular
    ^ it will be at will call

46Eamp0.png
  • vargonianvargonian Registered User new member
    Awesome, thank you!

• RoboskyRobosky Registered User new member
    edited September 2018
    Hey I realize I am beyond the point of late, but is there any way to buy a BYOC pass at the entrance? I'd love to hang out in a LAN room! If so is there any easy way to transport my computer? I see that this is on the 3rd floor of the Annex which makes me question how i'm going to get my Corsair 900D there. I'll probably stop by and inquire, but if i was able to figure it out before I go to Pax on Saturday it would be greatly appreciated! I plan to be there all weekend.

Robosky on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Robosky wrote: »
    Hey I realize I am beyond the point of late, but is there any way to buy a BYOC pass at the entrance? I'd love to hang out in a LAN room! If so is there any easy way to transport my computer? I see that this is on the 3rd floor of the Annex which makes me question how i'm going to get my Corsair 900D there. I'll probably stop by and inquire, but if i was able to figure it out before I go to Pax on Saturday it would be greatly appreciated! I plan to be there all weekend.
    I do not believe they are selling any BYOC passes at registration.

• Elmnator AKA ElmyElmnator AKA Elmy Registered User regular
    Hey everyone. Anthony here... AKA Elmy AKA Elmnator

Just want to say thanks to all the people that run the BYOC. Enforcers , Staff etc.

It was a good time! Many laughs and many good conversations.

In case you don't know I am the guy with the crazy watercooled builds.

A lot of you were asking about watercooling and specs on PC parts etc.

You can find me on Twitter and Twitch under the name Elmnator and on Youtube under Elmnator1.

On my Twitch channel I live stream when I am building these crazy computers so if you are interested make sure to follow me. I also do Giveaways of old computer parts from time to time. You can also private message me on any platforms if you have any questions about anything.

Thanks again

Cya next year!!!