As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Streets of Rage 4] New DLC!

T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
edited April 2021 in Games and Technology
I couldn't believe it when I saw it, but Sega are finally bringing Streets of Rage back, courtesy of the guys behind the recent Wonder Boy remake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_bgPefCyfA

It's got hand drawn graphics, it looks fairly similar to the classic games, gameplay-wise, and Axel has a beard now. I'm excited.

T-Danger on

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    But will they replace the house soundtrack with dubstep?

5gsowHm.png
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    This intrigues me. I can see a company doing it justice. WayForward I felt did a great job with Contra 4.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • IndoorsmanIndoorsman Registered User regular
    In this day and age, I'm guessing there won't be a cop car rolling up and nuking every bad guy on screen a la Streets of Rage 1.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I hope this is awesome

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Indoorsman wrote: »
    In this day and age, I'm guessing there won't be a cop car rolling up and nuking every bad guy on screen a la Streets of Rage 1.

No, only the black bad guys. /joke /donthurtme

I'm actually stoked on this. Streets of Rage 2 and 3 were my favorite genesis games to coop as a kid. Love those games and I hope they do this justice. Excited to see which other characters they'll add.

Indoorsman wrote: »

No, only the black bad guys. /joke /donthurtme

I'm actually stoked on this. Streets of Rage 2 and 3 were my favorite genesis games to coop as a kid. Love those games and I hope they do this justice. Excited to see which other characters they'll add.

I didn't even think about the fact it's a teaser trailer. I was all disappointed it was just going to have 2 chatacters. I feel dumb now lol

• President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Is Skate still cool?

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I doubt they're going to be able to get Yuzo Koshiro for the soundtrack. But I can always hope.
    Edit - Does anyone know anything about the developer for this? I don't know them by name.

Henroid on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Henroid wrote: »
    I doubt they're going to be able to get Yuzo Koshiro for the soundtrack. But I can always hope.
    Edit - Does anyone know anything about the developer for this? I don't know them by name.

Lizardcube made Wonder Boy, and Guard Crush Games made Streets of Fury which is basically an SOR clone a la Mortal Kombat style graphics. Looks like two very capable developers that can make a faithful sequel at a decent scale. Whether or not they execute it, I guess we'll see. I definitely would love to see a gameplay trailer though.

KoopahTroopah on
  • kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    My brother and I put so many hours into SoR 2. SO MANY.

Skate was my boy, he was awesome. Being the only character who could dash was reason enough to never drop him.

I never liked the feel of SoR3, something felt off.

I liked Roo and Shiva in SOR3. I didn't like not being able to pick up items. Max and Blaze were my favorite from SOR2.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    No Adam and no Yuzo, no sale.

wVEsyIc.png
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I always imagined that if Sega ever did bring back Streets of Rage, they'd pull a Sonic Mania and do the whole thing in the pixel style of the originals, just with sharper graphics. I will say, I'm digging the hand drawn style they're going for here, I can't wait to see more of it in motion.

I hope the devs take some of the ideas from SOR 3 and SOR Remake. Things like the special meter, branching paths and gaining new moves via your high score really helped elevate the series beyond the other brawlers out there.

And it'll probably never happen, but I'd love to see guest characters from Sega's other beat-em-ups over the years. Bring in Bruno 'Not!Bruce Willis' Derlinger from Die Hard Arcade, Rikiya Busujima from Zombie Revenge, hell even Kiryu and Majima.

• SulSul Registered User regular
    @linda0009 What?

I am cautiously optimistic about this. So many aspects of the game don't age well but I have some fond memories of playing this to death with my brothers.

Who is the mortal I see every morning with more than a little bit he must be important
    Nintendo Friend Code: SW-0689-9921-0006
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I’m so getting this. I love the beat em up genre and I’m all too happy to support it. Hopefully it’ll lead to a proper Golden Axe revival as well.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • GustieGustie Registered User regular
    Looking forward to see the real in-game video... I am not sure that the ones on the trailer are the final one and more over the one from the game engine itself...

A new trailer for the game, revealing a new character, Adam Hunter.....'s daughter Cherry.
    Oh, and Shiva's back too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTZajRoULlQ

The graphics are really starting to impress me. Those backgrounds look damn good.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Still wish we'd get Adam back.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Blaze is all you need, tho.

BlazeIdle.gif

<3

Stabbity_Style.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Streets of T-H-I-C-C.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It's never been clear but I think Blaze is South American and I dig that. Also she was fun as hell to play as in the series and I hope she stays that way.

7 minutes of the game in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJpdT5KBNDQ

It's looking great so far, but I'm concerned that it seems to be going to the old 'using a special attack drains your life bar' system of Streets of Rage 2. The special meter in Streets of Rage 3 made using specials a lot fairer in my opinion.

Shout outs to the guy eating noodles without a damn care at all the violence happening behind him.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Shout outs to the guy eating noodles without a damn care at all the violence happening behind him.

That sums up Chun-Li’s cameo in a Final Fight 2.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    7 minutes of the game in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJpdT5KBNDQ

It's looking great so far, but I'm concerned that it seems to be going to the old 'using a special attack drains your life bar' system of Streets of Rage 2. The special meter in Streets of Rage 3 made using specials a lot fairer in my opinion.

Love how I how the old enemy types were instantly recognizable, they even brought the goofy knife stab charge the enemies do l . Question what affects the green live bar that the players can heal if they attack the enemy? Is it the life lost on a special move ? Or is it all recent damage done in x seconds where if you keep attacking you can recover it ? Also if they ever make a new virtual fighter they should put axel and co in , like how capcom put Cody Hagar and guy in street fighter. Game looks great.

edited August 2019

Love how I how the old enemy types were instantly recognizable, they even brought the goofy knife stab charge the enemies do l . Question what affects the green live bar that the players can heal if they attack the enemy? Is it the life lost on a special move ? Or is it all recent damage done in x seconds where if you keep attacking you can recover it ? Also if they ever make a new virtual fighter they should put axel and co in , like how capcom put Cody Hagar and guy in street fighter. Game looks great.

It looks like performing a special depletes your lifebar, but you can recover it as long as you have green health. Maybe as long as you avoid taking damage?
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I'm really hoping we get some of the classic characters back as unlockables or DLC.

After all the content in Streets of Rage Remake, Dotemu have a high bar to reach.

T-Danger on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yeah it seems that green health is recoverable but it only recovers by attacking. That sounds interesting to me. Specials are a lot more useable but retain some risk.

Also Axel did a super like a few minutes in but I don't see a meter...so maybe UI isn't finished yet?

Dragkonias on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I'm guessing that's still an early build, but there's barely any sound happening other than the hitting sounds. The Streets of Rage Genesis titles had lots of different sounds going on from the enemies, environment, and player characters themselves. Here, there's almost nothing. It feels weird.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah, the music and general audio was very subdued but like you said, probably an early build.

There were definitely audio cues missing from the video but yeah, early build / unfinished product.

• redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    FYI if you haven't gotten this it's a blast, 10/10. The combat is dope and the updated/new characters can pull some truly insane stuff, plays very much like a fighter. The two new characters are great. They are harder to use but there is a lot there. The grappler is solid and the small chick with a guitar is beyond broken if you have some skill. They have the retro versions of all the main characters as well as some others.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

A little surprised this was never addressed.

https://youtu.be/5VwdCxjH7o8

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    FYI if you haven't gotten this it's a blast, 10/10. The combat is dope and the updated/new characters can pull some truly insane stuff, plays very much like a fighter. The two new characters are great. They are harder to use but there is a lot there. The grappler is solid and the small chick with a guitar is beyond broken if you have some skill. They have the retro versions of all the main characters as well as some others.

I imagine they were as cheap in the original games, I can't remember, but the jumping enemies who can get you on a different plane are fucking annoying.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    If anyone wants to play some co-op on Switch let me know.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.

I imagine they were as cheap in the original games, I can't remember, but the jumping enemies who can get you on a different plane are fucking annoying.

Grappler and guitar are brand new

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Yeah, this game is spectacular. Perfect couch co-op game.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It's awesome fun in local or multiplayer co-op. It's significantly less fun alone, especially if you're coming off of SOR3 (with some characters losing massive improvements that came introduced).

After clearing it on normal, hard, and with a couple different characters....it fell short of my (unrealistic) expectations. They went out of their way to make some levels not fun (Jesus Fucking Christ, the beginning of Y Tower sucks ass, no matter how many times I play it), and the boss encounters are balanced in a way the storms of mooks very much aren't. Whoever thought it was a good idea to start you out with three-fourths of your life penalized (one hit and it's gone, until you regenerate all of it) is bad and should feel bad.

Though it is gorgeous, and the soundtrack is (mostly) rocking.

I need to pick this back up. Girlfriend is in school and im always watching the baby

• AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Give the baby the second controller.

Synthesis wrote: »
    It's awesome fun in local or multiplayer co-op. It's significantly less fun alone, especially if you're coming off of SOR3 (with some characters losing massive improvements that came introduced).

After clearing it on normal, hard, and with a couple different characters....it fell short of my (unrealistic) expectations. They went out of their way to make some levels not fun (Jesus Fucking Christ, the beginning of Y Tower sucks ass, no matter how many times I play it), and the boss encounters are balanced in a way the storms of mooks very much aren't. Whoever thought it was a good idea to start you out with three-fourths of your life penalized (one hit and it's gone, until you regenerate all of it) is bad and should feel bad.

Though it is gorgeous, and the soundtrack is (mostly) rocking.

It's gorgeous and the sound track is great. A few things though is that the cast is much larger than you think. So if you want the SOR1/2/3 version of a character or one that wasn't included there is that option. You can also put the game into retro mode to swap up the visuals. And, if you haven't yet, try hitting the arcade machines you can break with a taser!